Fan Fiction ❯ Before the Slayer ❯ The Angel ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Before the Slayer 7: The Angel
 
Dear Diary:
“Lilly, you must hurry. They will be here soon,” he whispered again.
“I am aware, my friend. But you must protect the Slayer and the Tamer. They need it more than I.”
 
I don't know how long I prayed; all I know is that it was getting dark when I stopped. Asa was asleep behind me, the portrait of innocence. The scene melted my worried heart, and I leaned down, picking him up gently and walking out of the church. I pulled something out of my pocket as we walked down the street, and placed my favorite rosary around his neck. It was my first: the one I had received from Gabriel. I knew that it would keep Asa safe as it had me, and with that I could relax a little more.
I walked to a hotel and checked in under a false name, saying that I was using my sister's debit card because I couldn't afford it myself. I got a key and headed upstairs, ignoring the disapproving looks of those around me. I set Asa down on the big soft bed, and ran my fingers through the short hair that was so like my own. He had his father's hands and eyes, but my nose and hair; he was the perfect combination of the two of us, physically. Spiritually, he was improved. He was so much better off than I had ever been. I only hoped that he did not follow in his father's footsteps and betray that.
I kissed my son's forehead and walked into the bathroom, deciding that a long, hot shower was well deserved after today. The warm water cleared away my heavy thoughts and cured my tensed muscles, allowing me to breath a sigh of relief. We had survived one day. Now, we just had to make it through the rest. After finishing my bath, I stepped out in the hotel robe, checking to make sure that Asa was still asleep and on the bed, and then sat down on my own, thinking back to what Chaos had said. “There's Agony, Spite, Malice, Shame, Void, and Vengeance…” That's seven, but I should assume that there are more. The Fallen are sinners, after all. And, also, where should I hide? They can follow me anywhere, can't they? I don't know what to do. I should've prayed for guidance! Oh, Lord, what do I do? Please send a messenger with instructions. I feel so lost, and I don't know how I will be able to protect Asa in this state. I prayed as I slowly lay back on the pillows. I fell asleep hoping that we would get our answer soon, for Asa's sake.
 
The next morning, I woke to my son's laughter. I smiled sleepily. Ah, the innocence of youth. I'm so glad that my son is not like his father. I thought, my eyes still closed. Wait. His father… I shot up and out of bed, looking around for black wings and brown eyes. Instead, I found the angel from yesterday; our protector…um…
“Excuse me, what's your name?” I asked him. He switched his attention from my child to me, and smiled even more brightly.
“I'm Alexis,” he introduced. “Your Guardian Angel, come straight from Heaven just to see you. How are you on this fine morning?” he asked brightly, with a tone that I simply could not help but smile at.
“I am just fine, and you?” I replied. He beamed, making the whole room light up.
“I'm marvelous. And your son,” He turned back to Asa, holding him close and ruffling his hair, making Asa laugh harder. “Just can't seem to stop laughing. I don't know what it was that I said. He just asked me what we were having for breakfast, and I just answered.” He looked so innocently confused, that I had to smile wider.
“Well then, Alexis, what are we having for breakfast?” I asked teasingly, though I had a sneaking suspicion that it hadn't been why Asa was laughing. Alexis beamed even more brightly, if it was possible.
“Muffins!” he cried, throwing his arms up in the air enthusiastically. I chuckled slightly, covering my mouth politely.
“I don't think that's why he's laughing, Alexis.” I said. He cocked his head to the side as my little boy decided to start rolling on the floor in laughter. “I think he's laughing because in the West, Alexis is a girl's name, and you are obviously male.” He frowned.
“Haven't you taught him yet that, in Russia, where the name is originally from, it's a boy's name?” he asked, still frowning slightly.
“We haven't gotten to the topic of names, yet. He's still learning about the Archangels.” I replied, looking down at my son, who was starting to calm down a little. He was breathing heavily, but he got up anyway, now serious.
“I'm sorry I laughed at you. I've just never heard a name so funny.” He said, bursting out laughing again. I thumped the back of his head.
“Apologize for real this time,” I ordered, making him hang his head with shame.
“Alright,” he pouted, turning solemnly back to the angel, who was waiting patiently. “I'm sorry I laughed at you. Twice. And I'm sorry I made fun of you. Forgive me?” The angel's face lit up, and he smiled brightly.
“Your son is SO~ CUTE!!!” he cried, hugging the boy tightly. “I can't not forgive that face. He's so lovable, your son.”
“Don't say, that. You'll inflate his ego.” I replied, hugging my son once more and kissing him atop the head.
“Well then. We're going out for breakfast!” Alexis cried wholeheartedly, grabbing my hand and pushing me into the bathroom so that I could get dressed. I did so quickly, and walked to the elevator with them. Okay, now this is what I call the perfect family. A fervent father, a happy child, and a caring mother. I thought, watching the two race the whole way there. I knew that angels could hide their wings, and that he was doing so, but it still seemed strange to me that an angel could run down the hallway with his arms and wings spread out like that, and not hit one person. I chuckled lightly, and sauntered after them, getting onto the elevator with them and listening as they talked about nothing. After we got off, Asa took Alexis' hand and my own, and we all walked to the small diner together. Once we were there and we had all ordered our plates of muffins and pancakes, Alexis finally got serious, leaning down on the table so that only those in our booth could hear.
“You're not in a good situation, Lilly. I know you prayed for your friend, but I don't think that Michael will be leaving any time soon. I know it's hard, but you'll have to bide your time on this one. After a month or so, I want you to move to England. Start over, but don't change your name. You will need it in the future. Oh! And, also, do NOT let Elijah taint little Asa. It will be hard, but after every visit, you must explain to him why his father's path is wrong and why your way and God's way is right. Do you understand?” I nodded, and then our food came.
“I will not let Asa's future be destroyed, though I expect mine to be.” I replied coolly. He smiled again, almost sadly.
“I didn't order these pancakes for me,” he said, as the door opened. He quickly reached across the table and grabbed my hand. “Be strong, Lilly.” He whispered, disappearing.
“Hello, love. I'm glad I could see you today.” Chaos said as he slid in beside Asa. “You won't be able to run for much longer, love.”