Fan Fiction ❯ Black Orchid ❯ Preperations ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Droolie: Yeah, last update for the week. And try not to get TOO much drool on the plushy. I'm sure Montblanc would appreciate that. Anyways, this chapter's kind of short, and is basically a filler chapter. We get to watch Eriks walk around Hollow Bastion. And do... stuff. Well, next chapter is start of Arc's sidestory! Yeah! This is gonna be cool! Back to five chapters a world and whatnot! Anyways, R&R! hmm... where to work in Falling Star...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was raining. He looked to the sky as rain slid down his leather jacket, droplets splashing on his face. It didn't used to rain when he first arrived. Now it rained almost constantly. It was like the sky was in mourning.
As depressing and emotional as it was, it didn't change the fact he was bored. He had long since explored every nook and cranny of the castle, with the exception of the Great Hall. He wasn't allowed in there. So now, Eriks patrolled the battlements and walkways of Hollow Bastion, waiting for something to happen.
"There we are," he said to himself as he spotted figures in the gloom. He quickly ducked to the side and behind a pillar as a group of Heartless soldiers, some walking, some flying on mechanical wings, along with a lumbering, armored Heartless carrying a dog faced shield that occasionally snapped at any soldier that strayed too close, walked towards where he was. "Only one defender... oh, well."
He walked back out into the middle of the walkway as the Heartless came near, Excalibur held at an angle towards the ground in one hand.The Heartless stared at him, then spread out into fighting positions as they recognized the challange.
"Ready when you are," said Eriks, rain pouring through his spiky black hair and down his face.
One of the five ground soldiers made the first move. It leaped at him, claws outstretched. With a flick of his sword, the Heartless was sent flying against the wall, where it crumpled and jerked erratically. It wouldn't be fighting anymore.
"Can't you do better?" asked the boy. With that, the other Heartless lunged at him. One slice removed two of the soldiers and an air soldier. A second brought down the remaining air soldiers as they futiley tried to dive bomb on him. It wasn't long before he had cut his way over to the defender. It raised its shield up, the eyes of the dog face on it glowing red as it charged for a fireball. Eriks dodged to the side, but the defender swung around its sheild, and the spell caught him full force in the stomach, sending him flying into the railing. He got up quickly to face the Heartless again.
The defender swung it's shield at him, and he parried with his sword, then counter attacked. His blade struck lightly into the defender's chest, but the Heartless shuffled backwards before he could do any further damage.
"Light Ray," commanded Eriks, pointing Excalibur at the defender. The Heartless quickly moved to one side, out of the way of the beam of white magic that shot from the end of the blade, but growled as the light cut through its shield arm, severing it. The beam of energy faded, and Eriks surveyed the battle. All of the Heartless were injured to a point where fighting him would be pure folly. He turned and walked away, knowing they would eventually lurk back into the shadows to lick their wounds.
The he worked on shaking the water out of his jacket and his hair as he rode the lifts back up to the main section of the castle. When he got off and walked in, Elias was waiting for him.
"Getting bored?" asked the thin man. The boy nodded. "Well, then I think I have a mission for you."
"What?" asked Eriks.
"We've located another of the Princesses of Heart. I think I'll let you get this one."
"Why do we need these girls anyways?"
"Because, they are the key to out Master's plan."
"And when he succeeds, he'll be able to bring back Arcadia, right?"
"Of course."
"... what do I need to do?"

-!-

"How goes it?" asked Elias.
"They're hearts are strong, master," replied the man, his long white hair swishing gracefully as he turned to face him.
"That's why we chose them," said Elias, his face emotionless beside the half mask. "I've come to tell you that you'll soon need to be returning to your world, gear master."
"Really?" asked the man as he turned back to monitering the limp forms of Leon and Riku, hanging from thier chains. "Am I needed? I thought my clockworks were taking care of it."
"The key bearer is heading there now."
The man paused at this. Then he turned to face Elias again. "And he'll be coming back too?"
"Yes. No matter how he feels, he won't abandon the girl."
"Well, then. I'll have to plan something truly special. It's not often that I get to see old friends."
"Good. You'd best be leaving soon."
The man made to leave, then suddenly turned back.
"These two are self sufficient, and only require periodic monitering," he said, gesturing to the unconscious Riku and Leon. "But who will continue the work on the Grey One?"
"I shall see to it personally," replied Elias. "I don't trust Stromwind to deal with work of such a delicate nature."
"Well, then, I shall be off." And the man left, with a slight sound of gears breaking the silence.

-!-!-!-

Orchid was smiling from ear to ear. This mood was caused entirely because Arc had finally relented and let her pilot the gummi ship for once. This had resulted in Arc and Montblanc developing a sense of motion sickness.
"Woohoo! This is great!" squealed Orchid as she took the ship into another barrel roll.
"I think I'm gonna be sick..." muttered Arc as the ship righted itself.
"Kupopopo... me too..." agreed Montblanc, his antenna drooping in a sickly manner.
"So, what's the next world anyways?" asked Orchid, letting the ship cruise flatly.
"Dunno, lemme check," said Arc as he began pressing various buttons next to a screen on the control panel. He finally got the map to come up.
"So...six is... this one!" said Orchid, pointing at a world that looked like a clock.
"..."
They glanced at Arc as the man sat there, staring at the display.
"What's wrong, kupo?" asked Montblanc. Arc blinked, as if suddenly remembering where he was.
"Nothing," he lied. And he thought to himself, 'So. I'm finally going home.'