Fan Fiction ❯ Broken Eternity ❯ Trouble Brews ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: Trouble Brews

They had been patrolling for several hours and were finally taking a break. Estel stood up and stretched before glancing down at the twins. He was glad that they had stopped for a break because sitting in the saddle to long made him stiff.

"I am going to the stream to get a drink and will return shortly."

"Do you want one of us to come with you?" Elrohir asked.

He thought about it for a moment but shook his head. "No I will be fine."

Elladan smiled and winked at his twin. "Alright but don't dally to long and don't fall in either."

The twins broke out into laughter and Estel rolled his eyes. Sometimes he swore that his brothers acted more like elflings then grown elves.

Ambardil watched the mortal speak to his brothers and then walk into the forest. He waited until the twins were distracted and then looked at Lossëdil. His brother was regarding him with a smirk and he returned it. They waited until the twins were distracted by the other elves in the group. Glancing around he made sure that everyone was distracted and then he motioned for his brother to follow him. The forest was calm with birds singing and the trees rustled gently. Nearing the creek Ambardil saw the mortal and smiled in anticipation. Stopping a few feet away he leaned against the trees trunk and saw the boy stiffen.

"Alone at last are we mortal?" he whispered coldly.

Estel cursed his ill-timed luck at being followed by that elf. He had just wanted to get some water and stretch his legs a bit. Now it looked like he was in a bad situation and he wished that he had asked one of the twins to come with him. Standing up he turned around and almost groaned in frustration. The other brother had come along as well and he didn't like how they were looking at him.

Lossëdil regarded him with eyes filled with malice. "It is dangerous for one so young to be wandering around. Am I not right brother?"

"Yes very dangerous, perhaps dangerous enough for him to get hurt or even worse killed." Ambardil purred the words and grinned.

The grin reminded Estel of a giant cat playing with its prey before striking for the kill. He didn't like what they were saying and wanted to get away.

"Well as you can see I am fine and I thank you for your concern."

Taking a step towards them he wasn't to happy when one of them pulled out a hunting knife. The younger elf licked the sharp blade slowly before looking at him. Blood gleamed on the metal and Estel felt sick to his stomach.

Lossëdil licked his lips and blood faintly stained them. "Ah but how much longer do you think that will last?"

The two elves began to walk towards him and he took a step back. He wasn't too sure what to do and grabbed the hilt of his sword. Suddenly the two elves froze and then glanced back at him.

Ambardil snarled. "This is far from over mortal."

Estel watched the two elves melt into the forest and then let out a relieved sigh. A black haired elf stepped into the clearing and he smiled.

"I am so glad to see you Elladan."

The older twin looked at his brother and frowned. He could see that Estel was pale and appeared slightly nervous.

"What happened little brother?"

He listened patiently as Estel explained what happened, before letting out an angry curse. How dare those two elves scare his brother and even threaten him. Elladan would watch them carefully and keep them far away from Estel.

"Do not worry brother, Elrohir and I will keep an eye on them. But remember to stay away from them and don't wander alone all right? Now lets head back to camp."

Estel was reassured by his brother's words but still he was worried. They couldn't watch him or those elves all the time. He would just have to be more on guard from now on and avoid being alone with those two. Letting go of his worried thoughts he followed his brother back to camp.

The twins rode next to each other and kept an eye on their little brother. Estel was riding a few feet ahead with Legolas and the two appeared to be enjoying themselves.

Elrohir regarded the two thoughtfully before glancing back at his twin. "Do you think we should inform Legolas of what has happened?"

"I am not to sure he would believe us Elrohir."

"Why do you say that?"

Elladan sighed and glanced ahead. "Because for the fact that they are his cousins and he was raised with them."

Elrohir was shocked by this information because he never knew that. Thinking it over he didn't like the situation they were in at all.

"And because of that fact he would not believe us unless we had solid proof."

"Exactly. The bonds between family are a lot stronger then that of friends."

The two were quiet for a moment and continued to ride for a while. Another burst of laughter ahead caused the twins to smile. Estel was laughing uncontrollably and Legolas had a smug grin. Elrohir watched them quietly and came to a decision. He wouldn't let those two elves harm his little brother and would do everything in his power to protect him.

Elrohir gazed back at his twin and smiled. "Then the only thing we can do is protect Estel from Legolas's cousin until we get proof."

Elladan saw the determination in his twin's eyes and nodded in agreement. He knew they would do everything in their power to protect their brother and not let anything happen to him.

~~