Fan Fiction ❯ Broken Eternity ❯ Sadness and Regret ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 7: Sadness and Regret

The hallway stretched as far as the eye could see and there were many closed doors. It was barely lit and very quiet. Benches lined up against the walls but nothing else. He felt so tired and the benches looked inviting. Taking a few steps towards them he stopped when a cool wind blew his hair back. It was a bit cold and he shivered.

"Why are you here young one?"

He turned around and gazed up at the tall robed being. A hood was pulled over its head and its face was in shadow. He felt a sense of peace from this being and smiled tentively.

"I do not know."

"Then you should go back. It is not your time to be here at least not yet."

He was confused and wondered what the other meant.

"Do not worry about it for now Estel."

He wanted to ask but he had a feeling that this being wouldn't tell him. Everything around him started to fade away and then grew bright.

~

Lord Elrond gazed down at his mortal son and sighed softly. It had been four days since the patrol had returned and Estel had yet awakened. The boy had been injured badly and had almost died. Something had kept him from falling into the darkness and he thanked Elbereth that it did not happen.

"Is he alright father?"

Elladan stepped into the room and looked at him in concern. He could see that his eldest was worried about Estel and smiled at him.

"Yes your brother's fever finally broke earlier and he is well."

His son let out a relieved sigh and plopped down on the stool. Elladan ran a hand through his already mussed hair and Elrond stifled a smile. His son looked extremely exhausted and about to fall asleep any moment.

Elrond wondered where his other son was. "Where is Elrohir?"

Letting out a tired yawn, Elladan gazed down at the floor before glancing back up at his father.

"He went in search of Legolas."

Elrond regarded his son for a moment and then looked down at his youngest. He knew that the issues between Estel and the death of Ambardil were unresolved. Thranduil had decided to wait until Estel was well enough to speak on his behalf and then decided what to do. Lossëdil was in too much grief to speak and Legolas did not know what had truly happened. He had a slight suspicion that his twin sons knew but they would tell him in there own time. Gazing at his oldest he stood up and helped him rise.

Elladan looked at him and sleepily. "Father?"

Elrond smiled down at him. "I think its time for you to rest my son."

He watched his eldest son smile at him lopsidedly and helped him out of the room. Walking a few doors down he opened the door and helped his son into bed. Covering him with a blanket he looked into sleepy grey eyes.

"Rest my son."

Elladan snuggled down into the warm covers and let out a contended sigh. He gazed up at his father and yawned. One thought was on his mind and he had to voice it before sleeping.

"Will everything work out okay father?"

Elrond stopped smoothing the covers and sighed softly.

"I hope so my son."

~

Legolas leaned against the tree trunk and gazed at nothing. It had been exhausting few days with getting them back to Mirkwood, Estel's injuries, and the burial of his cousin. He just wanted to find somewhere to sleep and never have to wake up. The tree was whispering to him and it was soothing.

"Legolas?"

Almost jumping in fright he turned around and saw Elrohir. The other elf was regarding him in amusement and he blushed. He hadn't even heard the other elf approach and cursed himself quietly.

"What is it Elrohir?"

Elrohir stopped next to Legolas and regarded him thoughtfully. He appeared exhausted and at the end of his endurance. Guilt and sorrow shown in his blue eyes.

"Why did you blame my brother without hearing his side of the story?"

Legolas wasn't to surprised by Elrohir asking him that but he wished he didn't have to answer.

"Because my cousin died by Estel's hand and I let my emotions get the best of me."

He dropped his head in sorrow and his golden hair covered his face. Elrohir sighed and stepped in front of him. Placing one hand on his chin he gently raised the prince's golden head. Tears shown in the blue eyes and regret.

Elrohir asked gently. "But you are not blinded by your emotions any longer are you my friend?"

The prince blinked back his tears and sighed. "No not any longer, but how can I apologize for the words that were spoken?"

"Perhaps by letting him tell you what happened. Once that is done then you can apologize and maybe he will accept it."

Elrohir watched the prince nod in agreement and glance away. He hoped that the friendship between his brother and his friend could survive this. But only Ilúvatar could know what the outcome would be and he hoped it would survive.

~

Estel had slowly been regaining consciousness and finally awoke. The dreams he had were very odd but he couldn't remember them. He felt slightly cold and wondered about it. His whole body ached and it hurt to move.

"I see that you are finally awake my son."

Blinking the last of sleepiness away he gazed up into familiar grey eyes and smiled.

"Hello father."

His father looked down at him with a smile and shook his head.

"You gave us all quiet a scare my son."

Estel blushed and looked down at the blankets sheepishly. The memories of what had happened with Ambardil arose to his mind and he smiled sadly.

"I take it that Ambardil is really dead?"

Lord Elrond saw the sorrow and guilt in Estel's eyes. He nodded and watched his son close his eyes.

"Yes he died and his burial was the yesterday."

The grey eyes opened again and tears spilled down his pale cheeks.

"I killed him father but I didn't want too. They wouldn't stop trying to hurt or kill me and I had no choice."

Sitting down next to him he gathered his youngest into his arms and hugged him. He felt Estel arms wrap around his waist and felt the tears soak into his robes. Whispering soothing words he felt the boy relax against him and waited for him to speak.

"I do not understand father."

"Neither do I Estel."

Estel raised his head from his father's chest and looked over his shoulder. Legolas stood in the doorway and looked at him with sorrowful blue eyes. He was startled to see the prince and saw Elrohir standing behind him.

Elrohir regarded the prince thoughtfully before looking at his younger brother.

"Now perhaps we can find out what happened the day that you fought Ambardil, Estel."

"Yes and we can tell our story as well."

Elladan stepped into the doorway and walked over to Legolas other side.

Estel regarded the three elves before looking up at his father. Elrond nodded at him in reassurance and he knew that it was time to tell the tale. Whatever the outcome he would have his family backing him and he was grateful. Gazing at Legolas he was happy that he was going to listen to his story and hoped that perhaps they could still be friends after all.

~~