Fan Fiction ❯ Bushido ❯ Koichi's Tales: The Elves ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9: Koichi's Tales: The Elves

Koichi woke to find all his other belongings, including his clothes, had been returned to him, folded and clean. Upon examining his clothes, he found that many of the tears were stitched up for the time being. It wasn't perfect, but certainly better than wearing tattered ones, or even Hidemi's small yukata that barely fit. He slipped them on in moments -- years of training taught him to be swift in dressing, whether it be armor or everyday outfits. Using his katana like a cane, Koichi slid the shoji open and slowly plodded to the main room, where he found Hidemi and Haruko already placing food on the table. Both were now dressed in the simple farming attire of peasants.

"Ah, ohayo gozaimasu!" Hidemi greeted, "I was about to send Haruko to wake you! How're you feeling?"

"Better, thank you," Koichi said, sitting down and resting his blade next to him. "I need something to lean on when I walk, however. My chest's still hurting."

"Well, you're more than welcome to stay for as long as you need." Hidemi said, taking a sip of his drink and giving Koichi a nod, permitting the teen to take some breakfast. "Kami-sama knows we don't get company that often, save for the tax collectors." Haruko snorted, taking some rice for herself.

"Those men are so rude," she grumbled, "All the samurai here are such stuck-up jerk--" She suddenly blushed, remembering what class their guest belonged to. "Ah... S-sumimasen, Nakano-san!" Koichi laughed.

"It's all right. I'm not a samurai from here, am I?"

"Well, that's true..." Koichi chuckled and shoveled some rice into his mouth. Haruko took a sidelong glance at him before asking, "Pardon me, Nakano-san, but, how old are you?" Koichi swallowed his food, blinking.

"Hmm? Well... what month is it now? Rokugatsu, correct?"

"It is," Hidemi answered.

"Thought so. Then that makes me nineteen." Hidemi nodded.

"I see. Well, I must go and tend to the fields now. The rice crops are still abundant, and Hojo's tax is only a few months away." He rose to his stiff feet, soon followed by Haruko. Hidemi turned to his daughter, shaking his head. "Haruko-chan, not today. I want you to tend to our guest's needs now. Remember, he's still injured."

"Demo, tousan," Haruko protested, "You're getting older! You need all the help you can get!" Koichi nodded in agreement.

"Hai, your daughter's right, Kubota-ojisan. Though hurt, I'm more than used to it, and I'm still young. I'll be fine."

"Nonsense! If you need a katana to walk around, then you'll need someone to watch you," Hidemi argued. "Haruko-chan, Nakano-san, don't worry, I'll be all right. I may not be as strong as I used to be, but I can still farm for a few hours without getting much fatigue. Please do as I ask." He walked out of the room. Haruko sighed in irritation.

"Really! He's in his early fifties and thinks he can work like a man in his twenties!" She shook her head and added, "Then again... Otousan's pretty fit for his age..." Koichi "Hmmed."

"Well, the fact he's even made it to his fifties is somewhat impressive, at least for a peasant. Even a well-off one." He glanced up at Haruko, "You can't be that old, you seem around my age, maybe a bit younger."

"I'm sixteen, Nakano-san. Three years your junior."

"Do you or did you have any siblings?" Haruko shook her head.

"No, I'm an only child."

"Was your father married before?"

"No... he married once, but much later. His parents died before he came of age and could have a marriage arranged."

"How old was he when he married your mother?"

Haruko laughed, "What's with the inquisition?"

Koichi looked down at the table, blushing in embarrassment, afraid he put himself off as rude, "Gomen nasai."

"It's all right. He married her... my mother, when he was thirty-two. My mom was three years younger than him. She died about a week after I was born... it's not uncommon though..." Koichi frowned.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to bring up a touchy subject. Don't delve in it if you don't want to." Haruko smiled faintly.

"Thank you."

"Mmm. Well..." He rose somewhat painfully to his feet, placing weight on his katana, "if you're so worried about your father, however, let's go. You have a porch in the back, or wherever direction the rice paddies face, ne?" Haruko raised an eyebrow, confused.

"Well, yes, but..."
"Let's go then. You can watch your father from there if he ends up needing any help."

"But he told me to watch you in case you needed aid, Nakano-san..."

"If I'm with you on the porch, you'll still be watching me, won't you?" Koichi grinned. Haruko blinked a moment before giggling.

"Thank you, Nakano-san!"

"You're welcome." Haruko led the way outside, once they grabbed their sandals, to the porch overlooking the rice fields. Koichi seated himself at the edge, placing his feet on the ground and resting his katana on his shoulder. Squinting in the early sunlight, the ronin spotted Hidemi gathering rice some distance away. If the elder man noticed the entrance of the two teenagers, he didn't acknowledge it. Haruko sat down on her knees a few feet away from Koichi.

"It's not too large for a private farm," she said, motioning to the patties, "But since it's just me and my father, I'm kind of glad."

"I don't blame you," Koichi nodded. "Though I never did any farming myself, I did need to oversee the peasants doing it from time to time. I can be tedious work, can't it?"

"Very," Haruko sighed, "And since we're not in the village, we have to transport our produce we want to sell or trade on our own. Well, I actually do that most of the time now, since Tousan's getting too stiff to do it anymore." Koichi grunted in response. "That's how I found you, you know," Haruko continued, "I was on my way back from town when I spotted you on the side of the road."

"As I said last night, I'm very grateful. Many would not have helped me, especially since I'm a samurai. People would either steal all my belongings, or decide not to help because of the poor treatment many bushi give lower classmen." Haruko nodded.

"The thought of you being dangerous crossed my mind, but..." She gazed up at the clear sky, amazed it showed no signs of yesterday's storms, "You just didn't seem that way, I guess."

"Well, it was still very kind of you, and I appreciate you and your father allowing me to stay while I heal."

"It's no problem, samurai-san, we--"

"Nakano-san."

"Oh, right... sorry, I'm just not used to samurai being so polite to me or 'Tousan..." Haruko sighed through her partly closed lips, blowing her bangs up. "Anyway, we don't get much company around here, except for this old woman who lives fairly close -- and tax collectors. It's always nice to have a visitor, even under strange circumstances."

"I have to agree." Both fell silent for many minutes, simply staring out into the scenery. Finally, Haruko spoke up once more.

"Nakano-san, do you have any more tales to tell? It'd be a better way to pass the time than just staring into space."

"Hm? Well, yes, I did leave some things out for time last night..."

"Oh, please tell me one!" Haruko pleaded, "You're such a good storyteller!" Koichi laughed.

"Really? Eri used to think so too."

"Eri?"

"My little sister. She should be around five years old now, I believe. I left her in care of my former servants when I left. She was three then, too young to travel with me, especially with so many dangers."

"Oh..." When Koichi didn't respond, she nudged him lightly with her hand, "Hey! Aren't you gonna tell me another story?"

"Didn't I just do that?" Koichi grinned impishly. Haruko pushed him a bit harder.

"I'm serious! C'mon! Please?" Koichi laughed.

"You definitely are a spoiled only daughter," he chuckled.

"Mou! Don't say that!"

"It's true! But, you're not that bad," he added, and, noticing her impatience, continued, "I'm sorry, I have a tendency to tease, and it's been a while since I've had real human interaction... very well, I'll tell you about one of my other adventures."

"Yatta!" Haruko smiled, turning to Koichi's direction in order to pay better attention. "Please, enlighten me!" Koichi chuckled to himself at her eagerness, but quickly picked a story from his memory to tell.

"Well, last fall, I'd reached the province Shinano..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've told you briefly before about the lord Oshima's attempts to kill me. Well, thankfully, I hadn't clashed with his men in a while. However...

Koichi strolled down yet another long dirt road, the clear weather adding to his pleasant mood.

"Such a nice day, not too hot, not too cold," he smiled to himself. A gentle breeze caressed his cheeks and blew his long ponytail with the tree limbs. His eyes darted to the bushes, noticing the branches shudder. Koichi's eyes narrowed, withdrawing Dragon's Claw. Ten goblins burst out, causing the ronin to sigh.

"You're not working for Obake, are you?"

"What are you talking about, fool?" the tallest goblin grumbled, "We work for no one! We're just here to rob you, so you'd better not cause us pain! Or your death will hurt a lot more..." Koichi brushed aside the threat.

"I will not give you anything, if you want something, you'll need to fight me for it."

"Fine! My men could use some practice anyway!" the leader grinned, flicking his hand as thirty more goblins appeared. The samurai grumbled in irritation, but stood ready as the short creatures attacked. The first three leapt at Koichi's face, but soon found themselves in two halves when the deadly katana sliced through the air. Koichi spun around, silencing the five monsters behind him before jumping up, killing more goblins as he flew.

"Damn human!" the leader growled, "How did he get to be so quick?" Koichi smirked.

"Let's just say a little birdie taught me." All the goblins shot him odd looks, pausing a moment.

"Human, that was so bad, it stung more than your blade."

"Gomen nasai, I couldn't resist." With that, the battle began anew. Thanks to his Tengu training, Koichi easily picked off a dozen or so more of the goblins, but grew annoyed at their numbers, only wishing to finish this as soon as possible and continue on his way.

"Dammit, just go away!" The teen hissed, carving up two more creatures.

"Ha! You think just cuz you whine, we'll give in?" the leader chortled, "Well, you've got ano-" The arrow piecing his throat cut off his speech, as well as his oxygen.

"Boss?" One goblin sputtered, watching his leader gurgle, spitting out blood before expiring. "Who did this?!" Another arrow whizzed through the tree, between his eyes and silencing him.

"Elves! Dirty, nasty elves!" One goblin screeched, pointing up in the trees. Koichi averted his gaze with the goblins to the branches. Armed with a long bow and a quiver of arrows, a tall, pale female elf clad in monpei pants and a simple cloth jacket aimed another shot.

"Leave the human man be," a male voice warned. Out from under the tress, another elf, this one dressed only in white hakama, stepped out. His naginata blade gleamed in the partly cloaked sunlight. The goblins snorted.

"And why should we listen to you? Your friends' arrows will run out before our numbers do!"

"That may be so, however..." The elf became a blur, ripping through six goblins, killing them instantly. He stopped, facing them again, twirling his weapon. "I don't use arrows."
"Well, it's still over a dozen versus three!" In the tree, the female snorted.

"You goblins are so stupid," she mocked, "You honestly think only two of us came out here?"

"Eh?" The ground shook slightly, a large fist slamming into a goblin, grinding him into the dirt and crushing his bones. Out from the foliage came a modest in height, but brawny male elf. One more goblin screeched when a smack in the head sent him flying into a tree. Another male elf, this one very short, came into the open area, twirling a quarterstaff.

"Dammit, retreat!" one goblin grunted after the trio of males killed more of his kind. The creatures scampered off, cursing their enemies as they left.

"Goblins... lot more trouble than they're worth." The female grunted, jumping down and landing gracefully on her feet. She walked up to the hakama elf's right side, the other two behind them.

"Are you all right, my friend?" the lead male asked Koichi, who sheathed his blade and bowed gratefully.

"I'm fine, thank you. The goblins were merely a nuisance, though I am glad your aid ended the fight quicker."

"You're welcome. Those goblins belong to a fairly large band of thieves in this forest, which also happens to be the home of my clan. They're more bothersome than anything, but we still try to keep them in line so they don't get too powerful."

"I see."

"Oh! Excuse me, I'm Souchika!" the hakama elf bowed, introducing himself. The only female elf nodded.

"Janikanta. Pleasure."

"Yanshichu," Grunted the strong one.

"Hontayo," murmured the short one.

"Nakano Koichi," the ronin replied, bowing again, the elves doing the same. "Once again, I thank you for your aid."

"It's nice to see a modest and polite human for once," Souchika observed approvingly, "Nakano-san, I offer you a night or two's stay at our village if you're tired of traveling."

"Actually," Koichi admitted, "That does sound nice."

"Well then," Souchika turned with his trio of friends, "Follow me, and let us be off."

"Hai."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You say these woods belong to both your clan and that goblin gang?" Koichi inquired along the way. Yanshichu answered for him.

"That is true. Our clan's lived here for eons, long before Japan even had well-established clans. The goblins came only in the recent centuries, and though not very strong, we can never manage to wipe them out here. It's very annoying."

"I can understand that..." Koichi noticed the katana strapped to Yanshichu's obi belt. "You are a swordsman, Yanshichu-san?"

"I am, but I'm also good with my fists, as you saw before," the large elf responded, "I didn't bother wasting my sword on those chumps."

"I see. I suppose a few goblins aren't much of a problem, but... in large group they can cause quite a bit of trouble."

"That's very true... I take it you've had troubles with goblins before, Nakano-san?" Souchika asked, using his naginata like a walking staff. Koichi nodded, rubbing his neck.

"I have, in fact. Was it..." He leaned his head back, thinking, "Last year?" He snorted lightly, "I'm already losing track of time. But yes, I did have the bad luck of running into a few goblins. The first one I met attacked me; I killed him in defense, but his fellows claimed I murdered him in cold blood and imprisoned me."

"I'm assuming you escaped?" Janikanta questioned, amused.

"Of course. To be honest, goblins aren't very intelligent."

"Elves are very aware of that fact," Hontayo snickered, then pointed ahead, "There's the village, guys." What Koichi assumed to be an elder elf (due to his gray hair) greeted the group when they reached the entrance.

"Ah, I see you're all back from your scouting," he nodded, then glanced over at Koichi, surprised, "You brought a human back? Why?"

"Najoki," Souchika explained, "this human was attacked by goblins when we found him, so we lent a helping hand. He's traveled quite a distance, therefore we decided to let him stay here for a brief spell. I promise you, he's trustworthy." The elder elf narrowed his eyes, but nodded.

"Very well. You're known for good judgement, Souchika. Kika's waiting for you in the town center."

"Arigatou," Souchika and his friends bowed, Koichi quickly copying. They walked past the gate and into the large, beautiful, yet simple village. While Koichi gaped at his surroundings, another older elf approached them once they reached the town center.

"Ah, so you're back, Souchika," he greeted cheerfully, "And I see you've brought a visitor. Had a run-in with the goblins, did you?" He asked the human.

"Hm? Oh, yes," Koichi tore his eyes away from the buildings, bowing lightly, respectfully, "Souchika and his friends lent me a hand, and I'm grateful. I am Nakano Koichi, a humble ronin, and you sir, are Kika, I presume?"

"That I am, indeed," the elf nodded, "I'm the head of this small clan of elves. You're welcome to stay and rest for a while, if you so wish."

"I've already offered him that, Kika," Souchika spoke up, "He can stay in my hut."

"Very well. Souchika, see to our guest's needs. I need to speak with you later."

"Hai, sir." Souchika turned to Koichi, "C'mon, I'll show you where you'll be staying." He nodded to his friends, who all took the message and departed, save for Janikanta. She remained at Souchika's right side while the trio headed down the streets.

"Ah, do you two live together?" Koichi asked some moments later. The ronin mentally chuckled, seeing Souchika's cheeks lightly flush, clearing his throat.

"No, we do not. Janikanta lives near me, but, ah..."

"I'm with him most of the time due to his... well, I guess you could say, 'handicap.'" The elven female broke in, leaning over and speaking somewhat loudly.

"Handicap?"

"I'm deaf in my right ear," Souchika explained, "Which can actually be a fairly dangerous disadvantage when scanning the woods. You need to be alert on all sides. Janikanta's almost always there to be aware for me where I cannot hear."

"I see... well, you two must make a good pair." He withheld a smirk, noticing the red tinge appear in Souchika's cheeks again. "I meant in battle, Souchika."

"Uh, right, right, I knew that..."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Koichi glanced up from his meal when Souchika entered the hut, sighing. "What's wrong?"

"I just spoke with Kika," the elf replied, "And I'm needed on another mission... a small group of children were kidnapped earlier today, by the goblins, nonetheless." Koichi clenched his fists, placing his food down.

"Bastards," he snarled, standing up, "Souchika, if you let me, I'll go with you. I need to repay the debt I owe you for aiding me today."

"Koichi, I appreciate your offer, but... you came here for a rest."

"I'm fine, my friend. Goblins may be dumb, but they're still dangerous, especially in large groups... and with hostages. You may need as much help as possible."

"I... very well, come. We must leave now, because the longer we delay, the less time the children have to live... if they aren't dead already." Koichi frowned, sliding his daisho into his obi belt.

"So I see the goblins here sacrifice victims within a day like that do at my home, ne?"

"Unfortunately," Souchika grumbled, grabbing his naginata, "C'mon, let's go get the others."

"Hai."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

D ragon's Claw sliced through a group of branches, removing them from its master's path. Koichi narrowed his dark eyes, his expression solemn as he scanned the woods for any sign of goblins. Behind him, Souchika and his comrades kept their weapons at the ready, just as keen and wary as their human partner. The ronin tightened his grip on his katana, deflecting an arrow aimed for his bicep.

"Over there!" he growled, pointing at whence the weapon flew. The group tore though the bushes, finding a large band of goblins clad in meager leather armor.

"They're dressed in guard uniforms," Souchika observed, impaling two nearby beasts, "We must not be very far from a goblin camp."

"We'll look for it," Koichi promised, silencing a handful of enemies.

"All we have to do is cut through these fools," Yanshichu added, pulling out his own destructive blade.

"That's not too hard," Hontayo chuckled, his quarterstaff ramming into a trio of goblins.

"Indeed," Janikanta agreed, leaping into the trees to shoot her arrows.

The guards proved easily dispatched, and soon the elf-human team followed tracks to the gates of the goblin camp. Souchika duck behind the foliage, motioning the others to copy.

"If we just burst in, they'll know we're here too quickly, and that may endanger the hostages," he whispered. "So, Koichi, Janikanta... I want you two to accompany me in killing the guards and watchmen." Souchika turned to his fellow elven males, "Yanshichu, Hontayo, you guys wait here until we're done. I'll make my bird call as the signal, all right? Then you guys sneak in and look for the kids. We'll follow soon after."

"An effective, if unoriginal plan," Hontayo mused.

"Hey, what works, works." Souchika replied indignantly. "Just avoid killing unless you must -- we don't want to call attention to ourselves."

"You're the boss."

"And you call me unoriginal."
"Oi, Yamenka." The five split into their teams, Koichi following his partners to a cluster of trees closest to the gates.

"Koichi, you go to the left, we'll go right. Keep going until you meet us in the back. Just make sure to dispatch them quietly."

"Understood." The samurai crawled through the bushes, keeping Dragon's Claw unsheathed. Thanking the kami, he managed to slay five guards near the front without alerting anyone. In all honesty, he hated resorting to the tricks of ninja (using stealth, stabbing behind the back and such), the thought of innocent elven children dying on the account of open action made him endure. Meeting Souchika and Janikanta at the other end as promised, the trio retreated back to the shelter of bushes and trees.

Souchika cupped his hands around his mouth, letting out an odd, high-pitched caw. The remaining goblins took no notice, although Koichi caught site of the other team's shadows climbing the small wall.

"All right, now we follow." Souchika nodded, crawling out, Janikanta close behind.

Koichi heaved himself over the top, landing somewhat hard on the dirt below. He shook it off, scrambling behind a clumsily made hut. Peering out, he spied the other rescue members, and, more importantly, the children. We came in time, though we'd best hurry... The man frowned at the goblins preparing the sacrificial stand in front of the imprisoned elves. Their cage was constructed of tough bamboo, a secure latch holding the door in place. Hopefully he could slice though that wood.

Koichi knew goblins loathed humans and elves, but he still felt it was no excuses for the brutal ceremonies they preformed.

Hontayo made the first move, crawling across the group nimbly, hiding under a bamboo cage. Yanshichu mimicked his pal, but, the goblins quickly spotted his larger body.

"Intruder!" A goblin monk screeched, "Kill! Kill!"

"Damn it all to hell!" Souchika cursed, leaping out from his hiding place, attacking all those too close. Koichi leapt from his spot, catching a prison guard by surprise. The hapless goblin's head rolled to the floor, his killer leaping over the corpse, engaging in combat with others.

"Kzaa! Die, you murderous imps!" little Hontayo snarled, his staff sending five goblins flying into their own weapon racks. Yanshichu deflected blows with his blade, dashing through the ranks with ease. Moving ever closer to the cages, Koichi noted Janikanta remained at Souchika's side, rapidly firing her arrows while her partner impaled those within reach.

The samurai himself silenced a small group with a few maneuvers, pushing past them to the cages. He swung his katana, relieved when it easily sliced through the bamboo bars.

"Just hold on a moment, children," he assured the frightened elves. A few more strokes, and he pulled away his makeshift door. "Is this all of you?"

"H-hai sir, just the seven of us," the tallest kid answered.

"So ka. Well, I want you all to stay together, and follow me, understand?"

"Yes sir." Koichi turned, coming face-to-snout with an attacking goblin.

"Enough with you beasts! I tire of your petty attempts to defeat me and my friends!" The goblin snarled in pain when Dragon's Claw push through his skull, but soon fell limp. Koichi withdrew his sword, blocking others' advances. "Souchika! I have the children! We need a clearer path!"

"Will try!" the male elf kicked his enemies aside, making way for the human and others.

"Nakano-san, I'll take them," Yanshichu offered, picking up four children in his arms, "you just help the others keep the way clear."

"Thank you." Koichi darted ahead to help Souchika and Janikanta, though he was too late to save the latter from a throwing dagger.

"OW! My knee!" she growled, tumbling to the earth. Souchika whipped his head around.

"Janikanta!!! Are you--"
"Kuso! Souchika, your right! Look out!"

"Wha--?" The bemused elf jerked his head back when Koichi leapt in front of him, deflecting the first two arrows aimed at his throat, while the last grazed the human's shoulder.

"Your weak point, they came from your right," Koichi replied, ignoring his flesh wound, "Hurry, get Janikanta. We need to leave."

"H-hai. Thank you, Nakano--"

"Get her and let's go!"

"Right! Right!" Souchika scooped Janikanta into his arms, following Koichi's lead through the gates without much more harm. His human friend stopped at the gate, urging the elf on while he waited on the others. Yanshichu pasted with his four still in his arms. Hontayo trailed, two children in his own. Koichi frowned, his eyes following their retreating figures.

"That's only six, where's the seven-"

"Hurry! Tie that one down to the alter!" a low voice grunted. Koichi averted his gaze back behind himself. The last elf child squirmed and kicked in his captors' grip while they dragged her back towards the sacrifice area.

"No you won't, you bastards!" Koichi snarled, lunging forward and separating the goblins' bodies at the waists. "Come, child," He lifted the small girl into his strong arms, fending off the last few foolish enough to attack him in his fury. The ronin emerged into the forest covered in many small scratches and wounds, but otherwise unhurt as he met with his fellows some distance from the goblin camp.

"Well... that didn't go very smoothly," he panted, placing the girl down on her own feet.

"No, it didn't," Souchika admitted grimly, "but it worked nonetheless."

"How's everyone? Janikanta?" Koichi turned his eyes to the female elf cringing on the ground, then to Yanshichu yanking the blade from her kneecap. The human found himself wincing at the sight; such a thing must be most unpleasant to feel, though he admired Janikanta's ability to refrain from screaming. However, the intense agony read clearly in her eyes. Souchika also noted this while he bandaged his friend's wound quickly before lifting her up again.

"Janikanta, you're not going to be able to walk for a while, whether you like it or not. We'll need a priest or doctor to look at it better when we return." He told her seriously.

"H-hai... arigatou, Yanshichu-san... Souchika-kun..." Janikanta murmured, her face flushing as she averted her eyes from Souchika's own. Koichi smiled lightly, shaking his head. Before he could comment, Hontayo spoke.

"Excuse me, my friends, but we are still close to the camp. We need to return home before they come searching for us."

"You're right," Souchika sighed. "Come, let's go." Carrying Janikanta, he retraced their former path, his friends and elven children following close behind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Koichi yawned and stretched, already packed for his journey the next morning. Souchika emerged from his hut, accompanying his human companion on his way out.

"So, you are returning to the road, I see."

"Indeed. Your village is wonderful, but I really should get moving."

"I understand. But, you're always welcome, should you return." Souchika smiled, nodding at Koichi.

"I'll remember that, thank you."

"You did a great thing, helping us like that. If you'd not blocked those arrows, I wouldn't be breathing now..." the elf shook his head, "Without Janikanta, my deafness is a fatal flaw."

"Speaking of her," Koichi interrupted, "how is she doing?" Souchika sighed.

"Well, the doctor gave us some salve to rub the wound with. It'll take a while for it to heal, and she may end up with a slight limp for some time. Other than that, however, she's fine."

"Well, I'm glad to hear that. I wish you both well." Koichi commented, reaching the village exit.

"I.. well.... erm, yes." Souchika cleared his throat, stopping at the gates, "Anyway, Koichi-san, as I said before, we'll be happy to see you again. And if you need our aid, feel free to ask. We owe you a debt."

"I don't believe so," Koichi disagreed, "but I will remember your kind offer nonetheless. I will be honest -- I doubt my return will come any day soon, but I do promise to try and visit again."

"I see. I wish you well on your travels."

"Arigatou. May the gods grant you and your friends safety in the trees." The two men bowed to each other before parting ways.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Like Yuuchou and Higashi before him, I haven't contacted Souchika since I saw him. Bad habit, I suppose, but, then again, I haven't really needed their help." Koichi sighed, running his fingers though his raven bangs.

"Wow... Nakano-san, your life is so... so... interesting!" Haruko gaped, having kept full attention during the entire tale. Koichi chuckled lightly, leaning forward on his katana.

"I suppose that's one way of putting it..." he mused before blinking at the sound of something splashing into thick water, "What was that?"

"OW! Kami-sama, my hip!" Hidemi's voice sputtered from the fields. Haruko sighed irritably, rising to her feet.

"Tousan! I told you you're too old to work out here alone!" Koichi laughed, watching the young woman dash over to her father, scolding him. The wind blew gently through his dark locks and clothes. Koichi sighed, closing his eyes calmly. So peaceful here... right now he greatly preferred "peaceful" over "interesting". Somehow, the ronin felt leaving this place would prove harder to do so than before. Why, he had no inkling...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah, yeah, there's really no mention of elves in Japanese myths. They're more of a western thing. But I like elves, so sue me. =P Besides, there's really no rules when you're doing something like this, right? So there! =P

Oh, and Mitsu Tsuki - I meant I painted Kenshin on the wall myself. I used pencil and acrylic paints while looking at a page from the Kenshin manga. It took me about 4 days. E-mail me if you wanna see a photo of it.

...Am I missing something...? Hmm....

I'm now about 1/4 finished! Whoo! ^^/;;;;;;;;;

Whee... chapter 11's up faster than 10 was... I hope I can keep this trend. ^^;; I used to be able to write chapters for my fanfics in about a week, tops... I guess I get too sidetracked nowadays.