Fan Fiction ❯ Crossing Boarders ❯ Prologue: The Land of Dreamers ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Prologue: The Land of Dreamers
 
Once there was a land of Dreamers. They were the most wonderful people to see with their beautiful wings and flowing robes. They had the special ability to show their dreams to others so they could share them with the world. They lived happily together, sharing their dreams with one another and creating the most wonderful things imaginable. This land seemed perfect but like all things, it wasn't. The Gods cursed the land so none of its people could leave. They were bound to it and would remain there for their entire life. The Dreamers had to be satisfied with their lot in life and had to accept their fate in order to stay alive. Every few years a new child would be born who was more than a Dreamer. These few children knew that there was more to life than this small paradise world they lived in. They knew there was more but they were silenced. When any child seemed different they would try to make them see how wonderful life was there and how there was no need to wonder about anything else. The children who did not accept this were killed ceremonially as an offering to the Gods. This way of life went on for thousands of years. Slowly, the truth of the world around them began to fade and all truth was soon lost.
 
Things changed when a small girl and boy were born. They were twins and were thought to be a wonderful blessing. They were believed to share the same soul and would be forever connected by the Gods. They grew up together like all the Dreamer children. They were well mannered and excelled at any task given to them. The two of them knew however that there was more to the truth than what they saw around them. They also felt that if they revealed how they thought that terrible things would happen. They didn't know what had happened in the past but something told them to keep quiet about it and trust only each other on the matter of the truth.
 
The girl was named Riona and the boy was named Landen. Family ties were not important in the world they lived in. The two were taken from their parents at an early age and didn't have time to grow attached to them. They were lucky though. Usually, the Dreamer children were separated, boys from girls, but because these two were considered sacred they were allowed to remain together. They still had to do their lessons separately but they were allowed to play with each other and allowed many more freedoms. They were both well liked by their peers but they too had their small rivalries.
 
Several years passed this way and the two grew closer and closer. This began to worry the adults of the community because although they seemed like the perfect child, they knew there was more to them than met the eye. The two talked more and more together and began to talk more privately. The High Council believed that they might be able to cause an unbalance in their world so the two were to be tested and if they failed then they would be separated. Riona and Landen had known that something like that would happen eventually and had prepared for it. The closest adults in their lives were instructed to talk to the children and wonder if anything they said would betray them. The Keeper of both the boys and girls were given their assignments and went about their business as usual but kept a closer eye on the two and waited for their opportunity.
 
The Keeper of the boys was a well-respected man named Kaemon. He watched out for the boys and took care of them and saw to their wellbeing. He had become close to Landen and taught him many things. He had become closer to Landen over the years as he watched him grow up and turn into a young man. He was saddened by the thought that Landen could be thinking differently than how he had taught him. He wanted a bright future for him and taught him everything he knew. Landen had excelled so fast in his academic work that he was no longer challenged and so Kaemon took it upon himself to satisfy Landen's thirst for knowledge. Apparently, he had gone wrong somewhere and felt partially responsible for turning Landen's thoughts elsewhere.
 
The Keeper of the girls, Neith, understood these same feelings. She too had taught Riona many things and was afraid that something she had done had triggered the now beautiful young woman's mind to think other thoughts that would not be accepted in the world they lived in. She knew her job was to find out what the girl thought but she wished there was another way. She prayed to the Gods for strength to carry out her task and prayed for Riona as well, hoping the High Council was wrong about the possible threat she and her brother could possibly pose.
 
The Keepers found their opportunities and took them without hesitation. Kaemon spoke with Landen first as a normal conversation about the boys' future. Landen knew this was a test and stuck with the plan he and his sister had made years ago if something like this should happen. While he answered everything to the book, he did hint to his mentor that there was more on his mind than what he spoke. This bothered Kaemon and he decided to question the boy further at a later date. Neith did the same and also got the same response.
 
After the two children got back to their rooms for the night they pretended they were asleep and once their Keepers had gone to bed as well they put the next part of their plan in motion. Each had found small passages that led all around the building. There were many secrets they wondered if even the High Council knew about. One day when they were still young and exploring late at night they came across a new path that they didn't recognize. It was smaller than the other entrances and as they crawled through it they were amazed at what they saw before them. They were standing on a cliff that overlooked what appeared to be another city that was so strange to them that it was like another world.
 
The people there had no wings and there was despair written across their faces yet a small light of hope remained in their eyes. There were only a few people there who had power similar to the High Council the two of them had. These people still did not have wings but they didn't look ill treated and seemed to be better off than the others. The two had found clothing that fit them and used a spell to hide their wings. They mingled in the town several times over the years. While they still kept their distance from most of them, they were getting to know several of the storekeepers and some children about their age. The two children couldn't believe that the High Council didn't know about the lost city beneath them and began to try and find out why they were there.
 
Once again, they stood on top of the cliff looking down at the city below, which held all the secrets to their own world. They had figured out the cities true purpose and the dark and bloody past of their seemingly perfect world. Now the question was what would they do with the information they had. It could either save their people or destroy them. Now was the time to decide.