Fan Fiction ❯ David's Greatest Birthday ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]
Note: In my class (Fifth grade) we had to write monthly stories and this is one of them that I liked. I just hope you do too.

Back in '92 my dear brother David was born. He contained a terrible disease called Autism. My parents think that he got it by an evil spirit at the cemetery, because, before he was born, my parents went to the cemetery to thank the ancestors for having a son. Now it's nine years later and I'm going to tell you a great, wonderful, tremendous story about a miracle about my little brother David.
It's two more days until David's birthday. I go to the ninety-nine cent store to look for a toy for David. On the counter, I find rubber goop which David likes to play with. I pay for it, come back home, go to my room and wrap up the present. There wasn't any birthday wrap, so I had to use Christmas wrapping instead.
The next day, my family and I went to Albertson's to buy a cake. We went to the bakery aisle and found a pink frosting party cake. We asked one of the bakers to write a birthday message. The baker went back and wrote with orange icing, "Happy Birthday." We paid for the cake and went back home to hide it so that David couldn't find it and eventually eat it. After that, my mom did some daily gardening, and I was doing homework and had to watch David.
While I was working, David went into the kitchen and looked in the fridge and took the cake, opened it, and when I came into the kitchen there he was, about to take some frosting off the cake when I scolded at him, "David! Mom told you NOT to bother the cake until your birthday! Why do you have to be so naughty when tomorrow is your birthday?!" I think I was too hard on him. He went into the entertainment room and watched the T.V. until dinner time.
Dinner was a quiet one. Usually David would giggle or pantomime rowing a boat, but he just sat there, eating his meal. I wanted to say I was sorry, but every time I opened my mouth, not even a peep came out!
The next morning, my family and I got ready for the big day. I kept calling for my brother saying, "David it's time to party!
No answer, "C'mon! It's your big day!" I repeated. Still no answer. It must be serious.
Then my mom told me to go the living room. When I got there, My mom was in tears. Dad said, "We have to pick up David from the hospital." I knew it. It WAS serious!
When we were in the waiting room, David came out with a nurse. The nurse said he was fine. I went up to David and asked, "How are you? Are you in pain?"
He looked up at me and spoke for the first time, "I'm all right. I'm sorry I ran away. Please forgive me." I was in tears myself, wondering how in the world could David talk?
My dad stomped up to the nurse and asked, "What happened to my son and how come he's cured?"
"I know what happened but I don't know why he's cured," the nurse replied. She started explaining, "Well first off, I think he ran away from home. That's what David said and he started wandering off into the street into a policeman. The policeman didn't notice him and bumped into David which caused him to trip and, thankfully he wasn't ran over, but he fell unconscious. Finally, the policeman turned around and thought 'What the heck is a little doing behind me, in the street, laying down?' He picked up David, put him into his car and drove immediately here. I think David has a concussion from the bump and it now has fooled into talking. That's just a hunch."
"Thank you for helping our son." Dad said.
"That's our job." the nurse answered. We said our good-byes and went back home.
Back at home, we celebrated his birthday even though he was grounded.
* * *
A few months past and David can still talk. It must have been a miracle or something, because I'm positively sure that the concussion has past away. Every time I think of that weird, yet amazing Easter, I would try to think of possibilities of why he can talk, but it all comes to a blank, I guess I'll never know....