Fan Fiction ❯ Dawn's Maiden ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
*~*Chapter One*~*

The streets were filled with many people, milling around looking in the stores and the stalls out in the open for things to purchase. Young woman flirted with the young men they were fascinated with. The young men flirted with the young women, making them blush at their flattering words. As their mother’s and father’s went on about their business, small children ran about playing, and getting free handouts from the food vendors. Everywhere you looked there were bright colors, and laughing faces, no indication of the plights of their worlds inside their family lives.

But one person walked around the town, making herself as inconspicuous as she possibly could. She had long blonde hair, and wore and outfit of tanned hide that she had made herself. She looked to be 16yrs. old, but was really 18. She was much different than the people around her. She was not a ‘mortal’ like they were. She was something else. She was an immortal being, that was left on the earth to stay. She did not actually look the way the townspeople saw her, or at least those that noticed her. She had put a glamour around her self so that no one would know just what she looked like. She was afraid that there would be a riot if she showed her true self. Actually, she knew there would be a riot. The last time she had shown mortals her actual self, they had tried to kill her. So she had learned to keep a glamour close by to quickly cover what she looked like. There was no way she would pass as a human without it.

She had long fiery red hair that hung to her waist, and her skin had a golden-brown cast to it. But, the thing that set her apart the most, was her wings. They were a bright golden and gave off a warm comforting light when she was happy and rested, but when she became sad, or got cold, or was extremely tired, her wings would fade to a dull yellow, until she was rested. Her eyes also gave her away. They were never one color, especially when she was extremely emotional. But in most cases, while she was calm and acting like she is normal, they were a silvery-blue, that glowed with their own light. But while she has her glamour on, most people don’t tend to notice her. At least the people that are mortal don’t notice her. Many times she had been approached by another magical being asking her why she hid. They could not really see her, but could see the magic that surrounded her, protecting her from prying eyes.

Ma’hariah knew she was different than the people around her, and she knew why she was different. She called herself a freak, something that should never have survived the months after her birth. She didn’t like who she was, and what she was. She believed that because her life was different, she should not live any longer than a mere mortal. But, she would, for she was immortal. Her immortality came from a combination of both of her parents, a combination that resulted in what she was today. Her life had been difficult, but her father had been there for her, in the times that she had needed someone to help her. Her father had told her that he would always be there, yet there were times that she was alone, by herself in the humans world.

The difference between her and the humans was startling. The feeling that her difference of looks gave her, was something of a comfort though. If she had been born looking like every other person, there would be no way she would have the friends she did. Her life was complicated, but it was still her life. She might complain about it, but it was still her life. She missed her mother, even though she never knew her. Her mother had died when Ma’hariah was born, and the only thing that she knew of her mother, were the things her father told her. At least she had stories. Some of the mortals she knew, had no parents at all, and nothing of the ones they did. But she still had a life, a messed up life, but a life.

She looked around, and paused at a fruit stall. She smiled at the vendor, and asked how much his fruit cost. The man smiled back, and told her all fruit was only 2 copper per pound. She smiled at him again, and thanked him. The man nodded, and turned away to wait on another person that was standing nearby. As he turned back, he noticed a young boy taking some food from a nearby stall. He called over to the owner, and they ran after the small boy as he ran away. Ma’hariah watched, and looked back at the fruit stand. She took a few of the apples, and a couple of the bananas before she put down some money. She ran after the fruit vendor, and found the boy before they could hurt him. She looked him over, and took in how he was very young, and also small and sickly looking. He was very thin, and looked as if he would pass out at any second. She put out a hand to the child, and gave him a small reassuring smile. He stared up at her, a frightened look in his eyes, and then seeing that she meant no harm, he took the offered hand and stood. Ma'hariah turned to the two panting men, (who had been running very hard to catch up to the two, even though they had left before Ma'hariah had even started.) She nodded goodbye, and began to walk away with the child. The fruit vendor sneered, "Where do you think you are going with that thief, girl? You need to leave him here and be on your way, before something happens to you." The other vendor laughed, as the child hid behind Ma'hariah's legs. Ma'hariah shook her head. "Why do you want to hurt a child? I will pay for what he stole. Can't you see how hungry he is?" The men laughed. "That thing does not deserve to live, if it can't take care of itself," the other vendor said, "Why should I accept payment for the problems that this 'innocent' child caused. Last week he did this same thing." Ma'hariah sighed, mortals could be so stupid. She turned, and began to walk away with the child once more, leaving a few coppers in the ground at the men's feet. The fruit vendor lunged, and yanked the boy from Ma'hariah's grasp. The young boy yelped at the sudden sharp pain the pull caused. Ma'hariah turned and glared at the man, her glamour flickering from the strength of her anger. Her eyes flickered into a molten gold, her pupils a glowing silver, and her voice lowered into a broken, honey-coated rumble. The men paid her no mind, but the boy saw what was happening, and looked amazed. He stopped his loud sobs, and stared with large tears rolling down his face, as Ma'hariah's wings burst from the glamour. With that event, her glamour finally broke, and her own self was revealed to the people. The two men looked up at the child's gasp of wonder, and turned to see Ma'hariah standing there, her wings glowing brightly with barely contained rage. The men choked on their own breath, as they began to back away.

Converting /tmp/phphpkQuA to /dev/stdout