Fan Fiction ❯ Dead Brother ❯ Dead Brother ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

The slow shifting of sounds filled the room, as the small children approached the bed, the bed of their brother, who had long lay in his bed. His lingering illness had prevented him from doing much of anything, but his two younger siblings merely looked at his pale face and smiled sweetly at his languid expression. There was no response. In fact, there was no breath, no movement at all.
 
He was dead.
 
His siblings, one boy and one girl, stared at the lucid eyes, the pallid skin-tone, and merely wondered why he wasn't speaking to him, or even breathing loudly. The maid took them from the room, took them down the stairs and put them in the sitting room while they waited for their parents to return, the doctor soon after them. Yet the silence that filled that sitting room as the maid sat beside the boy and the girl was deafening, the two were utterly quiet as they kept their gazes locked on the door, listening intently for any sign that their mother or father was now home.
 
The floor creaked as the door opened inward, and the sound of mother and father resounded through-out the house for a moment, and then the sound of the doctors voice echoed alongside their voices through the house. And then, as quickly as they had answered, the voice of the maid, quietly whispering, struck them as though it were a blow, and the mother began to cry, and the father merely put a stern expression on, while the brother and sister waited, the girl and boy wanting to know what was wrong with their brother.
 
Doctor, however, immediately began to hurry upstairs, checking out older brother to make certain of the findings of the maid and butler. It took but a few moments, and then he too came down with a stern expression, knowing that the child had been dead for some time now, and he spoke the words to the mother and father, who both were crying at this time, while the boy and girl merely stared, not comprehending.
 
Sounds filled the house as people walked into the house to remove the body, the boy and girl still sitting, wondering, until finally, after all of the hustle and bustle of the people coming and going was gone, they went to ask their mother and father what was wrong. Mother merely gazed at them with tearful eyes, and father merely told them that big brother was gone, that he had gone to a better place.
 
Brother and sister stared at each other, the little boy and girl unwilling to accept an answer, and began to cry, their tears streaming down their face as they went up to their rooms and lay down in their beds, the dreams that they knew would come only showing them shadows.
 
Morning, the light shone upon their faces as the girl and boy got out of bed and went downstairs, to where the new day of darkness would begin.