Fan Fiction ❯ Different (ya, I know its a crappy title) ❯ Chapter 1: Who Cares About Memories ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1: Who Cares About Memories?
As Darkness is my guide
So from Light I shall hide
Not from hate nor from fear
Just that sleep is lurking near
 
As the clock chimes nine
The last vestiges of Light
Become a slowly thinning line
And fades into the Night
 
As Light reveals
So Darkness conceals
Let the wind take your fear
For I will always be here...
 
'What a nice lullabye...' Mairya thought. It has such a darkly poetic tune to it. As she sat at the base of the tree, replaying that shadowy tune in her mind, Abaddon came back from his scouting mission. He was covered from head to toe in dark, red blood, along with his precious spellbook.
"Abaddon! What happened?!?" she shouted. He looked exhausted and Mairya was worried he would drop dead right in front of her.
"N-nothing...had to use...." he gasped for breath, his voice faint, yet as monotonic as ever, "...I had...to use...a Double-Edged Spell...that's...all..." Mairya gaped at him, he was always so calm and composed, now he was disheveled, and she could tell it was taking him everything he had left just to hold himself up. He collapsed next to her and leaned his head against the tree trunk, moaning slightly, yet still clutching his spell book tightly. His eyes were barely open and through slitted eyelids, he looked at her reassuringly. Mairya suddenly realized that she had been holding my breath. She let it out slowly and punched him lightly on the shoulder.
"That's for freaking me out," she said.
"Oh gee, thanks for caring. If it stops you from murdering me, this is faeries' blood, not mine. One of the Fairy King's small bands of soldiers cornered me. I had to use an Inverse Spell to switch us around; unfortunately, it was one of the Double-Edges. Don't worry, I killed them and tracked down the rest of the army. A simple Chain-Reaction Spell took care of all of them quite easily," he explained, looking a bit better, although his voice was still rather faint.
"Idiot, you should have come back and told us immediately. We could have helped you know," she chided him gently, "A Double-Edge Spell hurts your body as you cast it you know, and you even had enough strength left to wipe out an entire fairy army in this condition."
"I'm...not...an idiot...the army was already looking for their missing soldiers, I found them first and took care of them. They would have found you and Sataganas first if I hadn't...jackass........." he voice faded out with the last word. His head drooped down and he fell over. He was asleep before he hit the ground. Mairya propped him back up against the tree, shaking her head slightly. He always fell asleep after using Double-Edged Spells. Most people faint or even die, but he just sleeps as soundly as a rock. Strangely, he never let go of his book, sleeping or not.
She looked at him sleeping and realized that it had been only two days since he first met her and she was already treating him like she'd known him forever. He didn't mind much though. He didn't mind anything for that matter. His blank eyes, monotonic voice, and emotionless face had scared her when she first saw him. She had no recollection of anything past two days ago. All she remembered was suddenly seeing something...then feeling wierd and looking down at myself. She knew how to move...but what was she moving with? Basically, she was like a newborn baby, literally, even though she was in a 17-year-old body, as she soon found out...and naked as well...which was considerably embarrasing seeing as she didn't know it.
Sataganas had found her first. He had red hair, even though she had no idea what red and hair was back then. His red hair already looked like a bonfire, and he didn't help it by spiking it up either. His head looked like a fireball. He was wearing some light, black armor over a light, grey tunic, holding a black bow and a black quiver with black arrows in it. He was really tall too...about seven feet if she estimated correctly. His eyes were a dark blue and he had a figure to die for...such a shame he was so stupid in academic matters. He had led her to Abaddon, staring at her in places she had slapped him for staring at later. Abaddon was slightly shorter, with short, pure black hair that lay flat against his head and was so black that pure darkness could not compare to it. It was barely layered, with the shortest layer at the top and the slightly longer layers beneath it. He had blood-red eyes and a softly-featured face. He didn't have as much muscle as Sataganas, but he was strong enough to topple people three times his size, not to mention he was so handsome. Mairya had thought he looked like a nice person at first, but that was before she looked at him closely. His eyes were blank and staring, like a dead person's eyes, and his face never shifted its emotionless features. Even when something was supposed to be extremely painful, he just ignored it or got rid of it without batting an eye. He had worn a long, black cloak with strange silver markings lining the edges...and his book, a monstrosity in her opinion. All his spells were horrible except for a whole section in that book dedicated to "repairing" things. He told me there was a hidden part of the book that had healing, resurrecting, protecting, and other spells like that in it, but he hadn't found it yet. It was bound with a black metal and its pages were stained with blood...all of the known pages anyway. He had used one of his spells to help Mairya understand everything she should, which is how she realized she was naked. He had conjured up some clothing for her to wear immediately after he cast his first spell.
However, after she barely finished figuring out everything, a stampede of monsters from the forest Sataganas had led her out of charged towards them. Mairya had screamed and hid behind the two taller males. The monsters never even came close to the group. Abaddon had cast a Death Spell and they all died in the First Spell Wave. His first spell had her understanding everything. This world was called the Mortal Plane and in this world, humans, demons, angels, faeries, and everything else imaginable coexisted in a violent way of life. He had led Mairya to a small village where the humans practically worshipped him for his amazing feats. There were other spell casters as well, but no one even came close to Abaddon. Mairya had stayed in the village since then and found out that Abaddon had arrived there a week before Sataganas found her. Everyone in the village liked Sataganas more than Abaddon, though. They admired Abaddon, but they feared him. Sataganas had an easygoing personality and was always laughing and smiling and helping the villagers with their jobs and businesses. He and Abaddon had been friends since they were children were what he told the villagers and me. Abaddon did not agree and he did not disagree either. He just stood there and stared. Sataganas was the best hunter and archer in the village, nothing and no one could match him. He could cast spells, but they were weak and did not last long. Abaddon, on the other hand, could only wield magical bows and arrows. Actual ones were a bit beyond him. Sataganas was stupid, however, he knew how to track and hunt better than anyone, but when it came to actually figuring out things, he took a while. Abaddon, however, was sharper than a razor and the smartest of all the villages anywhere within the region. He hardly went outside though, so he was paler than the clouds if that was possible. Sataganas was pale as well, but much tanner compared to Abaddon. When sleeping, Abaddon looked like he was dead.
Mairya...Well...since she didn't know anything, Abaddon gave her a name. He called her Mairya. It turns out that she was really good at hand-to-hand combat and melee weapons. Even Sataganas, with his entire athletic prowess, was no match for her. He cold only beat her in archery. She could not shoot to save her life. Mairya was fairly intelligent too. She understood most of what Abaddon was saying while Sataganas got headaches. She looked pretty good to boot; long, pitch-black hair, not as dark as Abaddon's, but pretty dark nevertheless. Her hair reached her thighs and after she realized it, she had a pretty nice figure. She was only a foot shorter than Sataganas and 7 inches shorter than Abaddon. Her eyes were violet and her skin was a creamy pale. After her first day in the village, all the men were falling all over themselves for her...which she found so weird. She saw a lot of other really pretty girls too, but they all hated her for some strange reason. So she only had Sataganas and Abaddon to hang out with. When she thought about it, she didn't wonder about my missing memory and how she turned up in that forest. Mairya just didn't care. She only looked to the future now and to the two people who were with her through thick or thin. They had proved their devotion to her when she was taken by fairies just a few hours ago. Sataganas had shot them all dead and Abaddon had used a Double-Edged Spell to get rid of their entire army. Mairya didn't know why the fairies were after her. A lot of other things have been trying to get her too, but she didn't care. Abaddon and Sataganas were always there for her. She could take care of herself pretty well too. She found that she liked using scythes a lot and was really adept with them. When she fought, she seemed to lose herself in the fight and attacked without tiring.
As she sat there, lost in her repertoire, Sataganas came running up the sloped part of the land. He was looking for Abaddon and was shocked to find him in such a state. Mairya explained everything to him and he picked Abaddon up with some effort and brought him back to the village. She sat at the tree a bit longer and followed him. By the time she got back to the village, Abaddon was sleeping peacefully in his bed, with his book clutched tightly in his hand. Even Sataganas could not pry it from his hands. He and Sataganas stayed in the same hut and they had made some room for Mairya as well. Mairya went to cooking some food, which was another thing she was really good at, and soon the village was filled with the smell of simmering soup. Abaddon came to after several seconds of blinking and walked over to the table and started eating as if nothing had ever happened. Mairya decided to break the comfortable silence with a question she had been meaning to ask for a while.
"Hey, um, guys..." she started, looking at the both of them, "I know I haven't been here long, and I know I seem completely useless right now, but can I stay with you guys from now on? I swear I'll start pulling my weight from now on...and...Besides......I don't have anywhere else to go."
"You don't have to worry about that," replied Sataganas, "Abaddon and I are planning to leave this place pretty soon. Now that we've found you, we can continue with the next phase of Master Lu---ooof!" he was stopped in mid-sentence by Abaddon who had rammed a spoon into his ribs.
"Master who?" she asked.
"No one," was Abaddon's reply, “It's not really a matter of you staying with us as it is us staying with you. We need to get your memory back and as soon as possible as well. I have a pretty good lead. If the fairy folk are after you, then we need to go to their monarchy and find out why, from there, we'll continue on North until we get to the Elves. They have something we need."
"NOI!" she shouted, "I don't care about my memories, Abaddon! I just want to stay like this, in this peaceful and quiet village with you two! I don't want to go on these dangerous adventures that could get me, you, or Sataganas killed!"
"...Very well," he replied after a pause, "We'll stay then...but...let me warn you, there was a reason I wanted to leave this place so soon."
"What?" she asked. He didn't answer and the silence resumed, only this time, it was rife with tension. Mairya went to bed, but could not sleep. She had a feeling something horrible was going to happen.