Fan Fiction ❯ Espoir ❯ Fate of Destruction ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Espoir
 
Summary: As Earth enters the final stage of it's existance, humanity tries one last stance to save themselves. A experiment that had been studied ever since the start of Earth's destruction is put into action. Project Espoir 1 has begun...
 
Rating: PG-13+
 
Genre: Drama, Action, Post-Apocalypse
 
Prolouge
Fate of Destruction
<><><><><>
 
Death count rises...
 
Injuries pile up...
 
Several still missing...
 
No explanation...
 
"Alec, would you turn that off?"
 
The small television set blared in the otherwise quiet room. Images of still burning ruins and clips from home video cameras played across the screen, showing the most recent tragedys of the planet.
 
The younger male did not pull his attention from the screen for a second, "This is important news, Professor."
 
"Old news." Was the professor's reply, "You can hardly call it news. They're only repeating things that have been said before. Now, if you would please listen to me then I can get back to work."
 
After a moment, the television clicked off. The recent demise of an entire Japanese countryside was enough to steal the professor's attention from his research. It was only one of the many tragedys that had been plaguing the planet for the last few months.
 
Alec, his young 'apprentice' raised from his seat and casually made his way over to the professor. He watched as his elder peered through his microscope once more then leaned back in his seat with a sigh, "What's on your mind, sir?"
 
He nearly chuckled. It was a stupid question with an obvious answer. The professor had been working on this project ever since the beginning along with various other scientists from around the globe.
 
"LeFluer is a mad man." The professor said wearily as he scratched the top of his balding head, "This research, this hypothesis, this entire project is all insane."
 
The young man was silent for a moment then sighed, "If I may be so bold to ask, sir." He cleared his throat, "If you beleive that then why are you part of the team?"
 
Another question that the scientist could easily laugh at. The answer was simple. Why not?
 
"It could be the planet's last hope, Alec." He said quietly, "We've tried everything but nothing seems to slow down the Judges. They're unstoppable." He leaned forward and glanced into the microscope once more. The mutated gene that was placed in his slide danced about unpredictably. "It's our last option."
 
The young man crossed his arms as he watched his professor, "Isn't it true that the UN has not even given the okay for the project. What makes you think this thing'll even go into use?"
 
A crooked grin appeard over the professor's lips, "Earth is like a cornered animal. It'll do anything to survive." He glanced away from the slide just for a look at his apprentice, "Anything."
 
"Even something as crazy as this?" Alec chuckled and took a seat next to the older man, "You really think it'll work?"
 
The room fell silent for a moment until the professor's quiet voice broke through, "Never doubt anything, son. Especially the thing that holds your life in it's hands."
 
With those final words, the place grew quiet. No words were spoken and the loud ring of the telephone caused Alec to jump a mile off his seat before scrambling to answer it.
 
The conversation was brief and Alec soon found himself hurrying back to the professor with the phone in hand. He pushed it into the older man's grip and watched as he listened to what the person on the other line had to say. When it was finished, the professor simply hung the telephone up and set it on the table.
 
"The project has been approved." The man said as he stared out the window at the rising sun, "Project Espoir 1 is set to go into effect by the end of the week. I've been ordered to France to meet with the others."
 
Alec stared at the professor wide-eyed. The Earth's last hope was being set into motion. He knew what that meant. The planet has no other options. A animal cornered with one chance of survival... Project Espoir 1.
 
The professor leaned back in his seat and stared up at the cieling with stress displayed across his face. It was insanity. He knew it and everyone else involved knew it.
 
"...God, help us all..."
 
<><><><><>
To Be Continued
<><><><><>