Fan Fiction ❯ Espoir ❯ Passing the Limit ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Espoir
 
Summary: As Earth enters the final stage of it's existance, humanity tries one last stance to save themselves. A experiment that had been studied ever since the start of Earth's destruciton is put inot aciton. Project Espoir 1 has begun...
 
Raitng: PG-13+
 
Genre: Drama, Aciton, Psot-Apocalypse
 
Chapter Three
Passing the Limit
 
Her legs were sore, her arms cramped, feet blistered, and she had a headache.
 
Project Espoir sure wasnt a walk in the park. At least, not for Miya Akuma.
 
Miya's body wasnt exactly made for excessive labor. She was petite and short with little muscle on her thin bones. She'd never really been much for work, particularly the hard kind. The training for Espoir was definatly put under the 'hard' category.
 
She sighed as she sat down in the rather crowded mess hall. The smell of sweat and meat was heavy in the area and the cafeteria tables didnt supply much room for the large number of Espoir candidates so she found herself crushed between two rather large males, whome were obviously just as tired and sore as she was.
 
The food sitting in front of Miya definatly wasnt exquisite. A slab of undercooked steak, a small helping of green beans, a small apple, and a carton of milk was the confines of her meal.
 
She poked at the steak with her fork as she listened idly to the conversation of her new comrades. The man seated on her right was talking rather loudly through mouthfuls of food. He laughed as he spoke of the 'sissy training' they were putting him through. Miya nearly spat at his words.
 
The training was anything but easy. First they had divided the mass into groups. These groups were ushered into different rooms and were put through various weight training and speed exercises as well as a rather common physical exam done by a group of seemingly tired doctors.
 
After that, they'd brought her group to a shooting range where they went through exercises teaching them to use various different types of weaponry.
 
Miya hadnt excelled in any of them.
 
The gun training went on for at the very least two hours. The group was given a brief rest before being brought to a outdoors area where they went through cardiovascular training. Not a fun time, not in the least bit. From running to feet work, the group had done it all and then some.
 
With another depressing sigh, Miya pushed a piece of steak into her mouth and nearly puked at the terrible taste of the meat. The loud man on her right obviously noticed her discomfort and let out a hearty laugh.
 
"Food not to your liking, little lady?"
 
Miya scowled and put her fork down, "This whole deal isnt to my liking."
 
The man smiled and laughed once more. He was a hulking figure. His muscles shown easily through the skin-tight uniforms the candidates had been forced to change into. His head was shaved bald but a dark goatee stood out plainly on his tan face. The man's eyes were quite interesting. A dark shade of brown that glowed with excitement and fun. His grin was crooked and showed a unhealthy array of yellow teeth.
 
"You and everyone else in here." He said with a nod. "The names Jurgen Edeltraut."
 
A rather large hand was thrust Miya's way and she shook it gently, "Miya Akuma, pleased to meet you."
 
Jurgen nodded and swallowed a spoonful of vegetables, "Not enjoying our little training session, eh?"
 
Miya finally noticed the accent in his voice. German or Russian, she really wasnt very good at reading dialects. She nodded slowly and brushed a bit of brown hair out of her face, "I'd much rather not be here."
 
"Not feeling the honor of being chosen for such a job." The man nodded slowly and leaned back, "I guess everyone else feels the same."
 
Miya looked around at the crowd. Save for a few happy faces, the majority of the crowd were all tired and distraught, not exactly what one would expect of people chosen to defend the planet.
 
"What about you?" She asked hesitantly, looking up into the creased face of Jurgen.
 
He grinned, "It's hard to tell. You cant really change it so there's no use acting depressed." He crossed his large arms over his chest and looked around the room, "Besides, it's not every day your chosen to be a hero."
 
A hero? Jurgen sure did have some lofty dreams.
 
"I guess your right." Miya said and forced a smile onto her face. She took her carton of milk off her tray and raised it in front of her, "To being heros."
 
Jurgen laughed and knocked his own carton against her's, "First, we gotta get past these damn tests." He drained his carton in one large gulp and set the empty container down on his tray. "Cant wait for all that fun."
 
Miya chuckled, "Whatever you say." She sipped her drink slowly and looked over the candidates once again. What a crowd...
 
espoir
 
Gunshots rang as far as the ear could hear. The resounding pang of automatic fire or the defening boom of a larger caliber weapon stung the hearing abilitys of all people in attendance.
 
It was quite a distasteful act. Firering a weapon was never even a dream of his and definatly not something that came naturally. The gun felt akward in Yukio's hands and he nearly dropped it after his first time pulling the trigger. He'd grimanced and cursed slightly under his breath as he heard the chuckle of his 'trainer' behind him. Then cracked a wry grin when he saw the hole that stood out like an eyesore only two inches from the bullseye.
 
It might not have felt right and it might not have been what Yukio liked, but it was a fact that he was a good at the art.
 
So, he'd worked his way through the lines of weaponry the men were testing the candidates in. From pistols to automatic rifles, Yukio had never seen so many weapons in his life. However, in the short time they had he'd excelled at each.
 
He'd grown used to the loudness of the firering range. At first he'd attempted to exchange words with a few of the trainers walking up and down the lines of men and women but soon gave up. When the men said something, he just tried to read their lips and nod in confirmation. No words could be heard over the wave of noise.
 
The whole abruptness of Yukio's introduction into the program had been dealt with. At first he was surprised and not a little angry at being dragged into the military but he quickly adapted. He refused to be seen disheveled or shocked. No, he wouldnt show his emotions to this drab group of infidels. In fact, Yukio took it as some sort of insult at the notion of having something in common with the group.
 
That was an amusing proposition. The only thing that associated him with the folk was the strange lump that protruded from his body. That was the end of their similaritys. He'd already confirmed that he was smarter, stronger, and obviously more suited for the project than anyone else in the room.
 
Of course, he'd only been able to observe the work of two individuals. The man and woman standing to his right and left. They'd been given the same treatment Yukio had and were working on the same arms as he. The woman, a dark skinned girl who had cringed at the sound of gunshots when she first entered, was having obvious trouble with the pistol she held in her dainty hands. The man, a bearded individual with a ugly silver cross hanging from his neck, was attempting to take it all in stride.
 
The man had tried to start some conversation with him once but Yukio wasnt going to have it. He wasnt here to associate with lesser individuals and the cross-bearing character wasnt exactly the type Yukio wanted to make an aquantance with.
 
So, he'd ignored the bearded man until he resumed his training. He obviously wasnt too happy about being taught how to fire a weapon but took it nontheless. He'd accepted the fact that there was nothing he could do.
 
Yukio wasnt like him. He hadnt given up. No, he took the project as a oppurtunity to improve upon his talents. Perhaps the ability to fire a gun would aid him in his future life. Yes, Yukio had thought everything through. It would all only help in Yukio's chance for success. Not chance, destiny.
 
espoir
 
The day dragged on and on and the candidates for Espoir went through more physical labor than most had in their entire existance. The tests lasted late into the night and the results were sent immediatly to a lab where each was studied exclusively. Some candidates were eliminated from the process rather early but none could be allowed to leave until the final results were finished.
 
Awhile past midnight, the kids were finally escorted to a barracks where they would sleep for the night. The crowd was pleased to finally have a soft bed to lay in, something to ease their beaten muscles. The lights were shut off and guards appointed to watch the candidates but all knew, no one would be trying to escape that night. They were all much too tired to do anything other than sleep in their cots.
 
As the candidates slept, scientists scurried about labs. They ran tests on blood and DNA samples and read over the written results from the day's tests. One by one, each of the files were looked through and put into one of two piles. One was labled as being worthy of Project Espoir 1, others were put into a pile directly labeled "Rejects." Come morning, those not selected for the Project would be sent home to their familys. After having the majority of their treatment erased from their minds, of course.
 
The results were very important. Those not suited for the project would not survive long in one of the Espoir armor. The results would be drastic. A person who wasnt meant to use one of the sets of armor could suffer terrible physical or mental problems. More than likely, they would be driven insane or their body would just give out and they would more than likely die.
 
Those who were 'lucky' enough to be adequate for the Project would go through a little more training before being sorted into squards and beginning their mission of protecting the planet.
 
The scientists that were in charge of going through the candiates' data were quickly forced to hasten their pace. In the time that the group were gathered for the tests, another attack from the Judges had occured. This one occured in the northern part of Russia. The signifigance of this certain attack however, was that it was a much more direct sort of invasion.
 
Instead of the Judges attacking from the sky as they usually did, they sent down what seemed like footsoldiers to accomplish the mission. Not many people took the reports seriously however, as each description of the Judges was completely different from another. However, Pierre LeFluer took the reports as a truth and ordered the tests to be quickened.
 
Everyone understood why the need for the project to begin was so important. An invasion consisting of actual troops would be much easier for the Espoir soldiers to defend against than one of the Judges aerial assaults. While it would be possible for the soldiers to attack and defeat one of the Judges flying crafts, it would be much more difficult. It was quite obvious that LeFluer was pleased to hear of the ground invasion.
 
As a result, the tests were quickened and the labs expected to have a full list of Espoir soldiers by dawn.
 
espoir
 
The barracks were hot. Hot and crowded and it smelt like sweat and body odor. Upon awakening, Kuris nearly vomited all over his bedsheets before regaining his compsoure and jumping nimbly to the floor.
 
He jumped as his bare feet touched the cold floor then looked around the room in an attempt to adjust to the scarce light. Snores and heavy breaths could be heard from all around. The bunks were spaced about five feet apart and lined the long walls of the barracks for what seemed like miles.
 
Sighing, Kuris ran a hand through his sweatly black locks and finally caught sight of the door. His bladder felt like it was about to explode and he knew that he couldn't wait until morning to take a piss. After a exhale, Kuris was about to make his way for the door when a heavy voice caught his attention.
 
"Hey." The man from behind said, "Takasa, isnt it?"
 
Turning around, Kuris caught sight of the large burly man who had taken the bunk underneath his own. He'd been in Kuris' research group and he'd spoken to him on a few occassions. Tuni, or something like that, was his name. A large and muscular man who seemed to excell at everything he did, Tuni had made Kuris feel very, very small at each of the tests they ran.
 
"Yeah." Kuris said as he peered at the large man through the dark, "What's up?"
 
"Cant sleep." Tuni said as he rubbed his eyes with his bear-like hands. He looked up at Kuris and his white eyes stared at Kuris' own, "You nervous?"
 
He raised an eyebrow at the man and crossed his arms, "No, I gotta piss."
 
"Oh." He nodded slowly.
 
Kuris continued to stare at the behemoth sitting on the bunk then spoke quietly, "Why would I be nervous?"
 
Tuni's eyes showed a bit of disbeleif, "About being chosen. You aint scared that they wont pick you for the project?"
 
"Why would I be?"
 
"You know what happens if you dont get picked, right?"
 
Now Kuris was interested, "No." He swallowed and sat down next to Tuni, deciding the call of nature could wait for a few moments longer.
 
"Word's been going around." Tuni started, "That those of us that dont pass all the tests and dont get chosen for the project are..." He trailed off for a moment then looked back at Kuris with seriousness, "The rejects are killed."
 
His eyes widened at the statement and Kuris nearly laughed. The goverment couldnt kill a bunch of kids who were forced into this project, "Your kidding, right? You dont actually beleive that."
 
"It's true, man." Tuni said honestly, "Someone heard some scientists talking. They said they couldnt let anyone leave knowing what went on here so if you dont get chosen, you die."
 
Kuris stared at the big man for a moment. Could that really be true? With the current state the world was in, he really could beleive the goverment would do anything but... killing a bunch of people for not passing a few tests. It sounded harsh and inhumane but it wasnt the worst thing Kuris had heard goverments doing during war. He'd heard of even more terrible things happening in wars of the past. Plus, those wars didnt threaten the very existance of the planet. This one did.
 
Still, Kuris shook his head and let out a quiet chuckle, "Dont beleive everything you hear, man. Get some sleep, I need to get to the bathroom before I burst."
 
With that, he left the large man in his bunk and quietly jogged to the exit. Outside the door, the blare from the lights in the hallway momentarily blinded Kuris. However, he could feel a grip of one of the guards on his shoulder.
 
"What're you doing out here, son?" A man with a southern accent asked.
 
"Bathroom." Kuris said while rubbing his eyes, "Mind pointing the way?"
 
The soldier thought a moment then jutted a thumb behind him, pointing down the hall. "Take a right. There's a door in that hall but dont go no where else, understand? Dont touch anything, either."
 
After making a promise to the guard, Kuris made his way down the hallway. The thoughts of what Tuni had told him stuck in his mind as he made his way down the bright hall. He didnt want to die and the thought of getting killed the next morning was not too comforting. He shivered a bit as he took a right and made his way down a new hall.
 
Voices caught Kuris' attention and he paused in his tracks to listen intently to the conversation going on. It was two very hushed voices. A smooth, timid voice of a woman and a much rougher one. Kuris quietly made his way down the hall while trying to listen to what the duo were saying.
 
"I gotta get these results to Lab B quickly." The rough voice said in a hurry.
 
A light chuckle, "All work and no play..." The woman's voice cut off.
 
"They're the last batch of results. Just wait one minute and I'll be right back." He seemed to be reluctant to go, "Please, it'll be real quick."
 
"Sorry." The woman let out a sigh, "If those stupid results are more important than me then I'll find some other entertainment."
 
"No, no!" His voice was louder this time, "The lab can wait."
 
"Good choice. Now, let's go. There's a closet down this hallway."
 
"All right, but we gotta be quick." His footsteps echoed down the hall.
 
She sounded exhasperated, "I kinda expected that much."
 
Their voices slowly drifted away and disappeared entirely at the sound of a door slamming. Kuris stood in the hall and pondered what he just heard thoughtfully. The results to a group of candidates were sitting in the hall unguarded. It was quite possible that his own results were sitting there.
 
After only a split second of doubt, Kuris quietly made his way around the corner. Sitting in the middle of the hall was a small pushcart with a handfull of folders sitting on the top. After checking to make sure he was alone, Kuris made his way over to the cart and began reading the names on the top of the folders.
 
Koppen, Andrews, Mahe, Jimenez.
 
Each of the names were unfamiliar and Kuris slowly began to grow frustrated as his name didnt show up. However, a ray of hope shot through Kuris' veins as he read the name on the top of one of the folders.
 
Tuni.
 
If Tuni was in this pile then Kuris had to be. With more hope, he began to sort through the files once again. Finally, the name he'd been looking for showed up.
 
Takasa.
 
Quickly, Kuris opened the folder and began sorting through the papers. There was a personal information sheet than showed his own picture and all the information needed to find him. As he dug deeper into the pile, more papers appeared talking about his test results. However, nothing told about wether or not he'd been accepted.
 
Then, as Kuris made his way to the last paper in the deck, his hopes hit an all time low. It was a rather bland sheet of paper that simply had one short paragraph printed on it. He read it three times just to make sure he got it right.
 
In the case of this subject. His abilitys and physical capabilitys are not suitable for the Espoir Project. Therefore, this candidate has been rejected from Project Espoir 1.
 
It was signed by a man named Rex Moon, Head of the Espoir Subject Committee.
 
Kuris dropped the folder onto the pushcart as cold fear filled his body. He was going to die. All because he wasnt suited for a project he didnt even want to be part of, he was going to be killed. His hands clenched into fists as he thought of his harsh destiny.
 
All sorts of thoughts raced through his mind as he searched frantically for a way to save himself. All in one quick instant, a plan popped into Kuris' head.
 
He quickly began searching through all of the folders in the pile. He skipped to the final paper in each folder and cursed as each one he found read that the subject had been rejected. Kuris picked up Tuni's file and skipped to the last page and his eyes lit up brightly. Tuni had been accepted.
 
Swallowing hard, Kuris held his own folder in his other hand and thought about what he was going to do. The rejection paper had no name or ID written on it. It would be quite simple to switch the two papers. Thus, saving his own life but granting Tuni, his friend, death. His lip quivered as the thought raced thorugh his young mind.
 
Racket from down the hall made Kuris drop as he remembered the two faculty members in the closet. With one last thought, Kuris put each of the papers in a folder and re-arranged the folders as they were before. He then jogged back down the hall just as he heard the footsteps of the transporter coming down the hall.
 
He didnt even glance at the bathroom as he made his way back down the hall and passed the southern guard. He entered the barracks once more and found his bunk easily.
 
Tuni lay snoring in his cot, his large frame nearly falling off the small futon. Finally, Kuris took his eyes off the man laying in his bed and began climbing into his own cot. He stopped when he heard the man's voice.
 
"Feel better?"
 
Kuris swallowed hard as he heard Tuni's voice. He cleared his throat, "No, I feel kinda sick."
 
"Well, hope ya feel better." Tuni said with a chuckle, "Night."
 
"Night."
 
Kuris lay in his bed and listened to the snoring of the man who he'd sentenced to death. He didnt sleep too well that night.
 
To Be Continued...
 
Author's Note: I'm looking for a beta-reading for this story as I'm unable to use a spell check. I just need someone who can read over the story before or after I write it and send me a copy that had some grammar and spelling corrections. Also, I would like some comments on things I need to work on such as plot holes or bad characterization. Thanks in advance.