Fan Fiction ❯ Espoir ❯ Cloud of Change ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Espoir
 
Summary: As Earth enters it's final stage of existance, humanity attempts one last stance to save themselves. An experiement that had been studied since the beginning of Earth's destruction is put into action. Project Espoir 1 has begun...
 
Rating: PG-13+
 
Genre: Drama, Action, Psot-Apocalyptic.
 
Chapter Seven
Cloud of Change
 
A crowd had gathered in front of the small television. All eyes were glued as images of the old man played acrsos the screen, dialouge from one of the many overpaid news anchors played over the images.
 
All in memory of the late Pierre LeFluer.
 
"The presence of this groundbreaking scientist will be terribly missed by his friends, family, and colleagues. An investigation is still being conducted on his death but the first assumption so far has been suicide."
 
The images stopped and the TV shot to the anchorman, "LeFluer's remains were found outside his office in France. He had suppsoably jumped from his five-story lab and landed on the concrete outside. His motives and reasons for this action are unknown at this time." He nodded to the camera, "But no matter the circumstances, Pierre LeFluer is gone and in the only way that would suit this world-famous scientists. Leaving the world in mystery."
 
A shot of Pierre LeFluer came up on screen as well as his birth and death dates. The news faded out in commercials as the room broke out into conversation.
 
Kuris leaned back on the sofa and placed his hands behind his head. It was a strange occurence, one that left the entire project in question. Why LeFluer would kill himself was beyond anyone in Centra. However, the main thing on everyone's mind was who would be the new head of Espoir?
 
Before, LeFluer had singe-handedly run all of Espoir's political and economic junctions. He was the one who had presuaded the UN to give the project approval, he had also been the one who had convinced all the current scientists on the project to jump on. There would be some big shoes to fill for whoever took over.
 
Someone passed by Kuris and he turned his head just in time to see Rene leave the room. Blinking, Kuris stood and jogged after the strange boy. He caught up with him just as he left the hotel.
 
"Hey." He said as he walked next to the boy, "Something wrong?"
 
"Fine." Spoke the male quietly.
 
Kuris crsosed his arms and shrugged, "You just left pretty quick so-"
 
"The death of such a intellectual being is something to be mourned." Rene said as he looked out over the rising sun, "Pierre LeFluer was a brilliant man, his lsos is a terrible one."
 
"Yeah, I suppsoe so." Kuris said with a nod, "This is quite a lsos to Espoir."
 
"It's a lsos for all of humanity."
 
Kuris paused a moment as he watched the boy walk. He raised an eyebrow at the peculiar male. Rene Henri never ceased to confuse and befuddle him. Kuris was beginning to think he would never understand the boy.
 
Nobody would.
 
espoir
 
The picture.
 
Not even as big as one of his large hands.
 
Blurry, hard to make out.
 
And yet, one of the only things that brought tears to his eyes.
 
Bray Jackson ran his finger over the small photograph. In the picture were an older oriental couple, sitting on a porch swing with a little black kid sitting in the middle. They were all smiling. All happy and joyful, completely oblivious to the terrible disaster that awaited them in the future.
 
It was the last thing Bray had to remember his 'parents.' All other remnants of them were destroyed by The Judges. Everything gone, burned in the eternal flames of the terrible enemy.
 
That day. That single day had changed Bray's life forever. It took everything he loved and cherished and crushed it. Like a helpless little ant under the heavy foot of a larger being.
 
On that afternoon, Bray had made the vow he still kept. The one thing that stopped Bray from ending his petty existance long ago. The one thing that helped him go on, all while having nothing to hold onto but a stupid little photograph.
 
Revenge.
 
He would make thsoe Judges pay. He would take their loved ones, if they even psosess such a emotion, and crush them under his boot. He would burn their worthless bodys in a sea of flames. Just like they had to his home. His family. His life.
 
Even if it was the last thing he did, he would make them pay.
 
Footsteps made their way acrsos the floor and Bray quickly pocketed the picture and wiped his eyes of tears. He inhaled deeply and looked behind him to see just who he expected.
 
"Having fun in here alone?" Asked Sean Malvin, crsosing his arms and smiling under his beard.
 
Bray stood and shrugged. He stood quite a bit over the smaller man, "Better than watching that LeFluer crap."
 
"Crap?" Sean blinked, "The guy killed himself and he was the guy who created Espoir. Don't you want to know why?"
 
"I can imagine. Life isn't exactly a ball, Sean. Pierre LeFluer knew that and he has lived a long and probably horrific life. Why should he not take his own life? I don't blame him and niether should you."
 
"You really beleive life is that worthless?"
 
"Yes." Bray said without hesitation, "The meaning of life is death, it's not that hard to figure out, really. What ends all life? Death. How can anyone beleive that the reason life was created was for it to end."
 
Sean sat down and shook his head, "The Lord-"
 
"Is a sadistic, mad being. If he even exists, how can you beleive he cares in the least bit about humanity. Look at us. We're being obliterated by a rather mysterious force. Why would a greater being send down such a destructive force to destroy us? I'll tell you why, because that was why we were made. He made us to destroy us. It's that simple."
 
"That's not true, Bray." Sean said slowly, "God created us because of his loving nature. Because He wanted something He could love and adore. We were the ones that sealed our fate, not He."
 
"And what did we do?" Bray asked, "And don't even bring up any shit about Adam because I've heard that tale plenty of times. The entire human race should not be punished for a crime one man committed."
 
Sean leaned back, "It's not like that. I'm not gonna say I have all the answers because I don't. Only One knows it all and He isn't exactly the kind of guy to just come right out and tell us."
 
Bray chuckled and sat down next to Sean, "You'd make a great pastor, Malvin."
 
"I tried." Said the bearded man, "And that didn't work out. I was home on break when The Judges wiped out my university. Then, I got the call and here I am."
 
Bray nodded slowly, "They take everything."
 
"That they do." Sean sighed, "You've had something taken as well, right?"
 
He was silent for a moment, "I've had everthing taken."
 
"What happened?"
 
Bray looked at Sean then shook his head and stood, "Take my tip, bud. Try concentrating on the war a little more and on your comrades a little less." He looked behind him, "You'll live a lot longer."
 
The large man turned away and made his way out of the room. Sean sat in puzzlement, watching his comrade walk away from him. He sighed.
 
"I may live longer but much worse."
 
espoir
 
"A council will be held within the next few hours to determine who will take over as Head of the Espoir Project. Expected to come are..."
 
Kei bit her lower lip and watched the television. She was the only one left in the room but just couldn't pull herself away from the screen. The death of Pierre LeFluer just was such a dramatic event and something Kei couldn't let go without as much information as psosible.
 
She didn't even notice when the other woman took the seat next to Kei on the couch. Not until she began speaking.
 
"Interesting stuff, huh?"
 
Kei glanced over and blinked at the sight of the girl. She was young, probably younger than Kei. She had seen the female around the camp but had never gotten the oppurtunity to make her aquantance.
 
She was short, shorter than Kei with light blonde hair and a nice tan. Her eyes shone with a bright blue, like the ocean. She was a cute girl but looked rather akward in the Espoir uniform. Kei couldn't even imagine seeing the girl with a weapon.
 
"It is." Kei said with a smile.
 
"I don't think we've met." Said the girl, "I'm Audrey. Audrey Barber."
 
Kei shook her little hand, "Kei Hayamoto."
 
"Your from the area, I presume."
 
"Yes." Kei said, "I'm actually from Tokyo but not this far into the city."
 
Audrey nodded, "I've never even been to Japan until now. It really is a beautiful country, much different than Canada."
 
She was Canadian. It was the first Kei had heard of a Canadian in the project. So far, she had met Japanese, Vietnamese, American, Chinese, and German people. It was strange seeing as how the thing that caused the soldier's deformity was that meteor shower a long time ago. Kei knew the meteors had hit all over the planet but it was shocking to see all the different races that were represented.
 
"Have they said who was going to take over yet?"
 
"Nope." Kei looked back at the television which had now gone to a commercial, "A meeting shall be taking place pretty soon."
 
Audrey nodded slowly, "They better get someone good. I guess our lives kinda rest in his hands."
 
"Kind of." Kei shrugged, "I think Captain Nottap is a pretty capable leader though."
 
"I suppsoe so." Audrey looked around.
 
"Something wrong?"
 
"No, not a thing." She said with a toothy grin.
 
Kei nodded slowly and leaned her head back and sighed. This was turning out to be a very tirering day.
 
The next thing that happened shocked Kei. She felt a soft touch on her hand and before she knew it, her's and Audrey's were locked. Kei stared at the girl for a moment before pulling away and blinking at the blonde.
 
"What are you doing?" Asked a shocked Kei.
 
"Nothing." Audrey said quickly and stood, "Just thought I'd try to help you losoen up."
 
Kei stared at her in disbeleif, "W-what?"
 
Audrey shook her head and smiled, "Calm down and forget it. I just, ya know, thought you were cute. Whatever, right?" She winked, "Well, it was nice meeting you. Hope to talk to you again."
 
With that, the girl was gone and Kei was once again alone. She blinked a few times and laid her head back again.
 
"What a day..."
 
espoir
 
The phone rang. A dull, mirthless ring that made Captain Nottap flinch before standing and taking the receiver.
 
"Nottap here."
 
The voice on the other line was only barely familiar. It didn't come to him until the man stated his name.
 
"Captain? This is Raymond George of the Espoir Council Board."
 
Nottap nodded slowly, "Yes, good to hear you, Professor."
 
"You too." The man said, "You've heard the news, I'm sure."
 
"Of course, who hasn't?"
 
George chuckled, "I suppsoe you're right. Anyways, the ECB has just concluded it's meeting and a new Head has been decided."
 
"Who is it?"
 
Their was a momentary pause, "It's Roman Evans, LeFluer's right hand. It was a pretty unanymous vote."
 
Evans, the young man who accompanied LeFluer everywhere. He was a strange fellow, someone who Nottap could never figure out. It was strangely unnerving hearing the news of his promotion but Nottap couldn't figure out why.
 
"Evans will be appearing shortly to give a brief speech and answer some questions." George said, "The board wants all soldiers to see the broadcast."
 
"Right." Nottap said and prepared to call for someone to gather the troops, "Is that all, Professor?"
 
"Yes." George said, "Good luck with everything, Captain. It looks like there's some tough times ahead for the program."
 
"There's tough times ahead for the entire planet, Professor."
 
There was a pause. "Yes, you're right. Goodbye, Captain."
 
They hung up and Nottap put the word to make all soldiers get to a television. He switched on his own set and sat down to watch. It wasn't long before there was a immediate interupption and the screen switched to that of a press conference.
 
At the head of a tall board sat a plump, older man. Nottap was unsure who the man was but he announced the promotion of Roman Evans. There was some applause as the young man made his way to the stand.
 
He was dressed well. It was quite a change from LeFluer who always wore his lab coat and looked as if he'd just woken up. Evans cleared his throat.
 
"The death of my friend and colleague Pierre LeFluer was a unfortunate event for us all. He was a brilliant, great man and no one can replace him." Evans nodded slowly, "I beleive, however that I will make a suitable substitue for the Espoir Project. I have been working with Pierre for a long while and he has taught me everything he knew. Like my friend, I strongly beleive that this program can successfully save this planet. I will work my hardest to make my dream, and the dream of our council, come true."
 
The room was then opened to the press questions. Nottap crsosed his arms and sighed. There was definatly something Rufus did not like about Roman Evans. He couldn't tell what is was so he just put the feeling aside and clicked off the television.
 
Leave the political stuff to the ECB. It was up to the soldiers to defeat the enemy.
 
espoir
 
Footsteps. That's all he heard.
 
He didn't hear the sound of his 'comrades' talking or anything about the death of Pierre LeFluer nor of the promotion of Roman Evans. All he heard were his own footsteps.
 
Calm, continuing, never ending. It was peaceful and yet disturbing at the same time.
 
Yukio rubbed his discolored arm then quickly pulled his sleeve down. He didn't like being questioned about the incident. Sympathy was never something he'd taken well, especially from low-lifes like his 'friends.'
 
"Hey, Yukio!" Shouted a male voice, "Come over here."
 
Yukio frowned and looked up from the ground. Sitting on a bench a few yards away was Craig Stone. He held a magazine in his lap and waved to Yukio.
 
Emotionlessly, Yukio made his way over to the team captain and nodded to him.
 
"How's the arm?" The man asked, looking at his covered bicep.
 
Yukio cursed mentally, "It's great."
 
"No one ever said what happened." Stone said with arms crsosed, "Captain Nottap asked me to file a report. Would you mind telling me a little bit about what happened?"
 
Bastard. He was just a nsoy little twirp. What happened to his arm was between Yukio and The Judges. No pesky little ex-jock should be allowed to interfere.
 
"I got separated from the group and pinned down by a couple of hsotiles." Yukio began, "I tripped and fell back against a wall and before I knew it, one of them had attached itself to my arm using some wierd tentacle-like things. Next thing I remember is someone pulling me up and everyone heading back the way we came."
 
"That it?"
 
"That's all I remember." Yukio stated bitterly.
 
He would never tell the American about how he had heard voices inside his head. He would never repeat what they said to him. How they spoke of his life and his future. About his so-called comrades and about The Judges themselves. No, no one would ever hear of thsoe things. Not until his time came, of course.
 
"Does it hurt?" Asked a voice from behind.
 
Yukio turned around just in time to see the ugly face of Sean Malvin. Yukio frowned deeply at the sight of the man and clenched his hands into fists.
 
Sean stared at him for a moment, "Does it?"
 
"No." Yukio said quickly, "It feels great."
 
The bearded man nodded, "I see. Well, you'll be in my prayers, Yukio."
 
Prayers? He didn't need prayers. Yukio Raidon was the strongest, msot gifted individual in all of Centra-Tokyo, in all of the entire Project. If there was one person that definatley did not need to ask help from some 'God' then it was Yukio.
 
Yukio had to hold himself back. If his mind had been weaker then that bearded bastard would be lying on the floor now, begging for mercy. However, that would not happen today. In due time, Yukio's moment would come. All would bow down before him and his destiny would finally be met.
 
No words were spoken as Yukio walked away, once again all he heard were his footsteps.
 
espoir
 
The recent promotion of Roman Evans was given little time for thought in Centra-Tokyo.
 
In less then three hours after the announcment, Captain Rufus Nottap was given the coordinates of the third Judges attack. It was in the southwest city of Iwokuni. It was the largest city to be attacked thus far and The Judges were predicted to touch down in a matter of seven minutes.
 
Nottap had sound the alarm as soon as he heard the news and he was pleased to see that the Espoir soldiers would be off to Iwokuni in no time. He silently wished his soldiers luck as he watched The Chariot take off into the horizon in a blur.
 
The flight took about ten minutes and the soldiers were greeted by the sight of a fourth of the city already burned nearly to the ground. The source had been a large ship that had departed only seconds before the Espoir arrival.
 
No matter, the soldiers hit the ground and immediatly began their assault into the city.
 
This battle would be much different than the last two attacks for the soldiers. In this instance, their enemys were much more in number than usual and battle broke out upon setting foot on ground. The Chariot had to leave the area the minute the last soldier was off board as it was taking enemy fire.
 
Craig Stone tried his hardest to maintain some sort of organization within the fray but it was useless. The Espoir soldiers had never encountered such a battle so quickly before and they were all separated shortly. The battle grew more intense as the small groups of soldiers fought their way into the city.
 
Bray cursed as he looked around. He was completly alone. There wasn't a single soldier in sight. All he could see was the dead bodies of innocent civilians. The entire city had been painted red with the blood of the innocent and the fire of The Judges.
 
He cursed as he shouldered his rifle and made his way further into the city. His best bet was to continue moving until he found more of his companions. More than likely his path would crsos with others along the way.
 
Plus, even if he was destined to die in this hell hole then he could take of Judges with him.
 
It was obvious that this was a much different battle than the ones past. There were enemys had each corner and Bray seemed to have to unload more ammo at each step. It hurt him to have to do it but Bray had to change directions in order to evade a large group of hsotiles. He vowed they would meet their maker soon enough.
 
The Judges had been swift in their attack. Bray saw no human life on his way. He frightened civilians or determined soldiers. No children or adults or old folk. No one but bloody shells of former life. It was very disheartening.
 
All Bray could do was hope that the other soldiers were having better luck than he was.
 
espoir
 
"Shit! They're everywhere!"
 
Kuris dived behind the cover of a building just as a barrage of bright projectiles hit the area he had just been standing at. He breathed heavily and shouldered his rifle as he looked around for the only other person with him.
 
Craig also took cover behind the oppsoite wall. He looked at Kuris and nodded slowly. He held but four fingers meaning there were four enemys around the corner. He unhooked a grenade from his belt and nodded to Kuris once more.
 
Kuris returned the gesture and waited. He watched as Craig jumped around the corner and launched the bomb. It was only a second before the blast was heard and Kuris jumped around the corner as well, rifle blasting.
 
The grenade had taken out one enemy and Craig's bullets were riddling another foe. Kuris' aim was off and he blew open someone's dirty windows before he hit any of the enemy. He breathed heavily as he blinked away tears and watched with blurry eyes as three more enemys fell.
 
Kuris let his rifle fall to his side and breathed heavily.
 
"It never gets easier." He said between breaths of dirty air, "I just can't get the hang of it."
 
Craig sighed and reloaded his weapon, "It'll come to you." He said, "You were chsoen for this project for a reason."
 
For what reason? Because he was too scared to face his demise so instead he switched the folders of his and his friend so that Kuris could go on living and Tuni would perish. That was why he was here, not because he was suited for this kind of life style. He was here because he had inherited his father's cowardice and was too frightened to face his own death and would rather see a friend suffer than he.
 
A fit of coughing took over Kuris and he had to sit down for a moment. Craig offered him some of his water and Kuris took it gratefully. The water cleaned the soot from his throat and he smiled as he was once again able to breath easily.
 
After another moment of rest, Kuris handed the flask back and stood. He joined Craig as the two of them continued their trek through the inner city.
 
The sights they saw were not pretty. Burned and bloody remains of people lay scattered everywhere. Craig pondered about how the people had had no time to evacuate. It would seem that they could get at least the majority of the population out in a matter of seven minutes. He promised to ask Nottap about it when they got back.
 
If they got back.
 
It didn't look good. They had no idea how the others were faring or if they were even still alive. If they were living, they probably weren't all together rather they were in small groups like Kuris and Craig were.
 
Normally, the soldiers would be able to communicate via the transmitters implanted into their suites. However, the beacon that the transmitters needed was attached to the bottom of The Chariot and the ship was no where in sight.
 
To sum up the soldiers predicament easily, all one would have to say is that they were screwed.
 
"From what I got out of the map I saw earlier is that we're in the southwest portion of the city." Craig said quietly, "The southeast corner had already been obliterated. There is suppsoed to be a military station a little to the north. If we can make it there, we may be able to contact Nogami on The Chariot and get him to get his ass back here."
 
That was the plan.
 
So, the two soldiers made their way to the north.
 
espoir
 
"Is this all that's left?"
 
Kei quickly looked over the group of tired soldiers. Their faces were wearing and blood stained their gold-colored armor. All together there were about seven of them.
 
"Looks like it." Answered a young oriental man, crsosing his arms.
 
Kane sighed and shook his head, "Damn." He looked around the area, "Well, we aren't doing any good hanging around here. Let's continue into the city and search for the others."
 
"What about the transmitters?" Asked Kei.
 
Everyone had already tried it. The Chariot was either way too far away or had been shot down. There was no way for the group to contact anyone else.
 
Another man spoke up, "Where should we go?"
 
"North." Answered Kane quickly, "We landed in the more southern part of the city so I'm guessing everyone else will be heading northward."
 
If anyone was still alive.
 
Kei quickly shut that thought out of her head. There was no way she could imagine the others dying. They couldn't all be dead. It would only be a matter of minutes before they were all together again.
 
Kane was speaking again, "There's seven of us all together. I'll take point, the rest of you line up as you see accordingly but maintain you intervals." He loaded his rifle quickly, "Let's go."
 
With that, the group was on the move. Kei filed into line behind a younger male soldiers, walking a few feet from his back. She swallowed hard and walked quietly.
 
A tap on her shoulder caused Kei to whirl around, her rifle pointed at the source. Her dark eyes widened at the person behind her.
 
Her shining blue eyes sparkled with the same glow Kei had seen earlier and a light smirk was still planted on her face. Audrey Barber let out a soft chuckle at Kei's surprise.
 
"Imagine meeting you here." Audrey said with a smile.
 
Kei swallowed, "Yeah..."
 
"Hey, don't act like that." The younger girl said with a calm grin, "I'm not gonna try anything."
 
She nodded quickly and continued walking. It was akward having the girl that had tried holding her hand earlier right behind her. It was even wierder knowing that she entrusted her life in the girl.
 
Swallowing hard, Kei tried to focus on her surroundings. She wasn't helping anyone if she wasn't keeping an eye out. She shouldered her rifle and stared forward.
 
Gunfire caught the girl's attention and she immediatly went to one knee, eyes looking around quickly.
 
Kane shouted back to the others that there were enemys ahead. He said there were five in all and that they were huddled together in a small alleyway. He gave orders to two soldiers to lay down some fire while he made his way back to the others.
 
"There's no way we can take them out all crowded together." He said to Kei, Audrey, and two other soldiers. "I know there is another way around to the other side of the alley. I want three of you to come with me."
 
One male immediatly stepped forward and Kane nodded, "Audrey and Kei, you two come as well. We need your size."
 
It was a good idea. The smaller the size, the better angle they could get on The Judges. Kane nodded and told the remaining soldier to make his way around and help the others.
 
Kane looked at his three other soldiers and told them to follow. He started his way down the other street, keeping a wary eye open at every turn.
 
He seemed to know where he was going and Kei followed after him quickly. They were moving fast as Kane apparently wanted to take out these monsters quickly. They were running along the side of a building, the opening to the alley in sight, when more hsotiles opened fire on them.
 
The male that ran behind Kei was immediatly hit in the ankle. He went down with a shout of pain, holding his bleeding leg.
 
Kane shouted for them to find cover. Kei dodged two bursts from the enemy before diving behind the cover of a large dumpster. She looked around and noticed Kane crouched behind a fallen billboard. Audrey was no where in sight.
 
Another cry made Kei look over to the fallen soldiers. They had hit him again, this time in the arm. He cried out and rolled over, making an attempt to crawl to safety. Another beam of light as shot and he was hit in the side.
 
"Lay down cover fire!"
 
Kei heard Kane's order and immediatly unloaded on the area that the blasts were coming from. It was a adjacent alleyway but she couldn't see any enemy anywhere. She cursed and looked over to Kane but he was too busy.
 
She knew what she had to do. There was another dumpster only a few feet from where the man lay. With a deep sigh, Kei put her rifle in it's holster on her back and withdrew her side arm. With one last breath, Kei burst from her cover and ran for the fallen man.
 
She caught sight of who was firering at them and was more than surprised. It was only one foe, a large glowing white enemy. It caught sight of Kei and opened fire. Two shots missed her before she got to the soldiers and attempted to pull him to cover.
 
He had passed out and there was no way for Kei to tell if he was alive but she just continued pulling. She didn't even feel the beam hit her thigh until she was on the ground, blood seeping from the new wound.
 
It was done. There was no way Kei would ever make it to safety now. That damn alien would just end her life slowly and painfully.
 
Kei clsoed her eyes tightly as she felt herself being lifted up. Wind rushed by and before she knew it, she was once again on the ground. When Kei's eyes opened again, she was greeted by the pretty face of Audrey Barber.
 
The younger girl had already begun cleaning the wound. She wrapped it up and patted it gently, "You okay?"
 
Kei grunted in pain, "Getting better."
 
Audrey chuckled and helped her to her feet, "Can you walk?"
 
"Yeah, I'm fine." She said with gritted teeth. The hole in her thigh was burning as she felt the bandage capture the blood, "Where's Kane?"
 
Her question was answered as Kane himself walked around the dumpster. He breathed heavily, his face white. "You okay?"
 
"I'm fine." She said forcing a smile.
 
"It's not a bad wound." Audrey said as she armed her rifle, "She'll make it."
 
Kane nodded slowly and started for the alley that contained the four Judges from before. Kei blinked, "What about-"
 
"Dead." Said Kane blankly, "Dead before you even got to him."
 
Kei stood still and blinked. Her held her pistol tightly. She didn't move until she felt Audrey's small hand on her shoulder.
 
"Let's go." She said, "Before more die."
 
Kei swallowed hard and nodded. He loaded her pistol and the two of them joined Kane at the alley, ready to help their fellow soldiers.
 
espoir
 
Bitterly, Yukio tried to wipe the human flood off his armor. He cursed as it wouldn't come off.
 
The guy who owned the blood had died during their landing. He'd fallen backwards and nearly taken Yukio with him. He barely got away with his own life because of the clumsy bastard.
 
Now, he was stuck in the western part of the city with a weakling as a companion.
 
"Did you see where any of the others went?" Asked Sean quietly, gripping his rifle tightly.
 
Yukio frowned and looked away, "No idea."
 
Sean sighed and leaned back against a wall, "It all happened so fast. I don't even remember touching down."
 
They hit the ground, people died, they were alive. It was that simple.
 
"The transmitter is down and I can't get ahold of Craig." Sean said bitterly, "Where you think we should go?"
 
It was an easy decision. If they were in the west and the south was obviously overrun with the enemy then they should head north. Not to mention that military base that was stationed up north.
 
"We'll go north."
 
Sean nodded slowly, "God, help us."
 
That was it. Yukio had heard the weakling speak to his 'God' for the last time. He didn't need the little twirp to bring Yukio down with him especially if he was going to have to protect the bastard. Yukio was on him in a flash.
 
His hands wrapped around Sean's throat quickly and slammed the bearded man against the wall. He stared at the male with hatred in his eyes as he slammed his head against the wall once more.
 
"Shut up, damnit!" Shouted Yukio as his hands tightened around the man's throat, "I'm sick of your bull! Where is your God? Do you really think he is anywhere around here?! Look around! Look! This is Hell!" He threw Sean to the ground and approached the coughing figure.
 
Yukio delivered a kick to the man's gut and walked around him, "Why do you put so much faith in something that you've never seen?" Another kick, "What has He done for you? If He loved you so much then what are you doing in this place? Surrounded by death and destruction." Another. "Killing for people that will eventually die anyways."
 
He bent down and picked Sean up into a sitting psoition, "You are weak. That is why you rely on religion. You rely on your God because you are scared of nothingness. You are scared of having no reason to exist in this hell. Beleiving in a ultimate being gives you a reason for existance, something to hope and wish for instead of having that constant fear of not existing."
 
Yukio gave him a punch to the face and cursed, "You know it's true! You fear non-existance! It's the anxiety, the fear that makes you beleive in something false!"
 
Sean made a gurgling sound and Yukio smirked. It was good to see he was still alive.
 
"He.... lives...."
 
"Shut up!" Yukio punched him upside the head and Sean fell into the dirt. "You worthless piece of shit! You have no reason to live! Get over it! He doesn't exist!"
 
He kicked Sean in the lower back, making him spasm and shout in pain.
 
"You are nothing. You fear nothing and yet you are nothing." Yukio laughed as he rounded the fallen soldier, "It's laughable really. You are a little comedy all in yourself, Sean." He kicked him again and withdrew his blade, "You get beat around more than anyone I've ever met and yet all you do is spit out candy. It's pathetic."
 
He lifted Sean into a sitting psoition. Blood flowed from the corner of his mouth and his eyes was bruised. It made Yukio grin, "I have reason to live for I am strong. In the last attack, I was separated and mauled by The Judges. Or, that's what you all think. They opened by eyes. They talked to me, Sean. They told me about why I exist, why I'm in this project and what is in my future." He laughed, "They are my key to power, you worm! They will grant me strength and you are the first to hear about it."
 
Sean coughed, "What... are you... you taking about?"
 
"I will join with The Judges today. They are waiting for me and they will make me powerful. I will rule above all." He laughed hysterically, making him sound even more insane than usual. "I'm destined to be the greatest and The Judges see that. They will help me achieve my goal! They have spoken to me and they know all!"
 
The bloody man coughed once more, "You're insane..."
 
"You're weak." He chuckled and put his blade against Sean's cheek, drawing a thin line of blood. "Now, before I go to achieve my fate I want to hear one thing from you." He smield devilishly. "Deny your God."
 
Sean was silent but his eyes were open, blinking.
 
"Do it! Deny your God and everything you stood for! Embrace the fact that He is nothing but a myth and that you beleive that!"
 
"...no..."
 
"What?" Yukio said and pressed the blade clsoer.
 
"No..." Sean said more strongly, "I... will not... deny it... You... You may... do to me as... you please... but I will never leave Christ."
 
"You little bastard!" Yukio shouted, "You fool! Why must you be so weak?!"
 
Sean coughed, "My Lord... makes me.... strong."
 
"You filthy bastard! Your blood will be the first to be shed by my power!"
 
Yukio blade went up into the air just as lightning struck. He laughed as he swung down. However, the blade never touched the soft flesh of Sean. Instead, a metal clang was heard as it struck another blade. Yukio backed up and cursed at the sight of the large Bray Jackson.
 
"Ah, so the others arrive." Yukio laughed, "It's too late, big man. My power is already far too great." He smiled, "However, I cannot kill you just yet. My friends are waiting. So long, weakings."
 
With that, Yukio was gone. Bray would have followed him had Sean not been in such bad shape. Instead, Yukio got away on his way down to the southern part of the city where he would meet up with his 'frends.'
 
espoir
 
"I heard shouting." Kuris said quietly as he looked over to Craig who had propped himself up against a wall.
 
Craig sighed in pain, "I don't think I can walk much further." He grunted, "This hurts like hell."
 
Kuris helped him to the ground and nodded, "I'll go scout on ahead."
 
"Be careful and shout if you see anything."
 
Kuris nodded and shouldered his rifle. He nodded to himself once then headed out into the city.
 
It didn't take long for him to find life. Only about fifty yards from where Craig rested, a large battallion of Japanese soldiers were making their way through the streets. Kuris smiled and prepared to communicate when something else caught his attention.
 
The pale man burst through an alley quickly, his lightly colored hair astray and eyes frantic. Yukio nearly ran Kuris over but he was able to catch the man just in time.
 
"Yukio!" He said and gripped the man by the shoulders, "What's wrong?"
 
The man's pupils were nearly invisible and his skin was paler than usual. He breathed heavily and looked around, "They're everywhere." He said quickly, "We got overrun."
 
"Where? Where are they?" Kuris asked, trying to calm him. "There's the army right there."
 
Yukio's eyes widened and he looked over at the approaching military. They had not noticed the two soldiers. Yukio stared at them for a long while before looking back at Kuris more calmly.
 
"That's them."
 
Kuris blinked, "What?"
 
"They are fooling you, Kuris. Thsoe are The Judges." He swallowed hard, "Somehow, they are making it look like they are your allies but they will only kill you if they see you."
 
"Are you serious?" Kuris asked, rubbing his eyes.
 
"Completely." Yukio said and shouldered his rifle, "We must take them out quickly, before they see us."
 
Kuris stared at the army for a long while, "Are they really...?"
 
"Damnit, Kuris!" Yukio said angrily, "Will you just beleive me?! They just attacked us the same way. Just help me out here!"
 
Blinking, the dark haired male nodded and shouldered his rifle. The army advanced and Kuris swallowed hard, his finger touching the trigger.
 
If Kuris had looked over, he would have seen Yukio grinning wildly as Kuris opened fire on the human army. If the gunfire had not been so loud, he could hear Yukio's insane laughter as he watched Kuris murder many human beings. If he had not been so determined, he would have noticed Yukio run off at the last minute and disappear.
 
If only the circumstances had been different, everything could have been avoided.
 
espoir
 
The Chariot's engine roared loudly as the soldiers sat in silence.
 
There had been numerous injuries and a total of six deaths. It had been the highest death toll of any Judges Attack yet. Besides the Espoir lsoses, there had been thousands of civilians killed including an entire military squad wiped out by a group of Judges. Luckily, Kuris Takasa had been nearby and had eliminated the enemy before it could kill anymore.
 
The tale of the renegade soldier had been told to Craig who would then pass it onto Captain Nottap. The news was very disheartening and it was quickly passed onto the new Head of Espoir Roman Evans. A world-wide search was put out for Yukio Raidon but Sean Malvin knew for a fact that he would not be found until The Judges were spotted again.
 
Numerous people were put on mental watch. Sean Malvin for his traumatic experience with the renegade Yukio Raidon. Kuris Takasa experienced extreme mental trauma after witnessing The Judges massacre that entire battallion. Bray Jackson, who had already experienced deep rage problems, had been put back on after seeing his friend beaten by a fellow soldier.
 
Overall however, none of this information would be released to the public. The battle would go over as a well fought fight in which there were many casualtys. Morale would remain high and Roman Evans would appear on national television to congradulate the entire Third Region, minus a few chsoen individuals, for their heroic endeavors at The Assault of Iwokuni.
 
Nothing would change to the public but inside the Espoir Soldiers would never, ever be the same.
 
To Be Continued...