Fan Fiction ❯ Fate of the Fires ❯ Power Surge ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fate of the Fires

Part IX: Power Surge

Lady Mars

Disclaimer: I don't own The Gravity of Love.

* * *

Frodo sat on one of the many railings of the many railing of the palace, staring off into space. 'I wonder if this Rogue is really the answer to all of our problems. And what if he isn't? What are we to do about this predicament then? And what of Legolas? Could he really have died?' The hobbit sighed. There seemed to be no answers in sight. He looked up when he heard a dog barking at him. He locked eyes with the large white dog in front of him. The beast was really lively and his red tipped ears shined in the sun light.

"What?" Frodo asked, hoping the dog would give him some kind of an answer. The dog bounded off into the forest, leaving Frodo behind. Frodo, not listening to the nagging voice in his head, jumped the railing and ran after the dog. The hound led him through a winding trail through the dense forest. When the dog shot through the bushes into a clearing, Frodo stayed behind to make sure that there was no danger present there. He couldn't believe what he saw. Sitting in the middle of the clearing were Adhil and Rogue. Adhil was inspecting Rogue's wrist.

"And how did you come about getting this?" she questioned. He pulled his wrist back quickly.

"An accident. Why do you want to know MOTHER?" he shot back bitterly.

"Jeez, it was a question. You don't have to get all offensive about it. What's gotten into you lately?" Rogue snorted.

"This, THIS is showing how close they are to getting a hold of me. And YOU know what will happen if they do. I'm getting slow."

"No you're not. It was a simple mistake, we all make them occasionally. It's not going to be then end of the world if you make a mistake."

"Yes, I know that, but one mistake leads to others and eventually I'll get caught by someone."

"And what if that someone is your friends?"

"Friends?" He snorted. "I have no friends. I had friends, but they can not about me anymore."

"And how do you know this?" He got up from his sitting position.

"And why do I have to take this torment from you also? Aren't you here to help me?"

"Yes, but I just.."

"You know what, I've had enough of all of this!" He stormed off into the forest. Adhil sighed.

"What have I done?" Frodo quietly slinked back to the palace, pondering the scene that had just played out before him. 'I wonder what all of that was about. There must be some reasoning behind all of his action, but what? What drive him to be this way?' He slowly wondered through the palace halls, still thinking, when Sam ran up.

"Master Frodo!" he shouted. "Strider has called out the troops, the orcs are on the offensive again!"

"Where are the orcs coming from?" Frodo asked.

"The Northern forest."

"Then the Northern forest is where we shall go." The pair tore off towards the battle site.

* * *

Gorfindel stood watching the orcan army. 'This can not be good,' He thought. 'What is even more bizarre is that there seems to be two others fighting all ready against an entire army.' Aragorn slowly approached the elven lord.

"How is the battle fairing?" he asked.

"On our side, unusually calm," Gorfindel replied. "But there seems to be someone else fighting out there all ready." Aragorn turned to the battle, watching orc after orc fall under a woman's blade. "Do you have any idea who it could be?"

"I'd wager my money on Rogue again," he replied. "And that woman looks like the Adhil from the celebration a few weeks ago." The pair watched as the orcs surrounded the two warriors, but still continue to fall under each blade.

"Do you think they need our help?"

"Not at this moment, but we might as well stay here just in case."

* * *

Rogue sung his sword around, taking out another orc in his way.

"How are you fairing over there Adhil?" he shouted.

"I'd worry about my own ass!" she shouted back. Rogue chuckled lightly. 'She is one of a kind.' He swung again, bringing another round of orcs down. The pair fought valiantly until an unexpected twist of fate happened.

"Oh shit," Adhil mumbled. She had been nailed in the side by one of the orcan warriors and was loosing blood at an astonishing rate. Very shortly, her knees buckled and she ended up a heap on the ground.

"Adhil?" Rogue questioned. He received no answer. "Adhil?!" He still got no answer. He turned to see how she was faring, but saw nothing but orcs in his way.

Turn around and smell what you don't see

Close your eyes ... it is so clear.

Here's the mirror, behind there is a screen

On both ways you can get in.

Rogue was now growing worried. 'Where did she go? It's not like her to leave and not tell me.' He continued to battle against the orcan tide. 'Í must go find her immediately!' He started to hack away at the orcs that separated him and his partner. One by one the orcs fell under his blade, giving way to the elven warrior. Once through, he saw why his partner didn't respond.

Don't think twice before you listen to your heart

Follow the trace for a new start.

What you need and everything you'll feel

Is just a question of the deal.

"ADHIL!" He gave up all chances of fighting back as her rushed to her side. "Adhil, speak to me." She looked up at him.

"It's too late for me now," she responded weakly. "There is no way I can go on."

"Don't talk like that! You'll be fine!" She reached up and set her hand on his face.

"Don't fight the future, it is a battle that can not be won." And with that she collapsed.

"Adhil? ADHIL!!!" He pulled the now cooling body closer to him and began to cry. 'Notagain, notagain, notagain, notagain, notagain, notagain, notagain, NOT AGAIN!' He had lost it.

In the eye of storm you'll see a lonely dove.

The experience of survival is the key

To the gravity of love.

He let out what could only be described as a primal scream followed by a shock wave of energy that rocketed through the forest This unseen force collided with the orcs, blowing them over and hurtled through the trees, stripping numerous leaves off of them. By now, the Fellowship and Gorfindel had arrived at the edge of the battlegrounds, just in time to see the next act unfold.

That's the chance to live your life and discover

What it is, what's the gravity of love

Look around just people, can you hear their voice?

Find the one who'll guide you to the limits of your choice.

The elven warrior slowly let go of his mentor's body and rose, a new fire burning in his eyes. The orcs were slowly getting back up. This infuriated the elf.

"Damned are the souls who defy me on this DAY!" He charged blindly back into the battle. The orcs were glad to accept this challenge and began to fight back. The two sides clashed, the orcan buckling under the power of the ranger. Some how, he had tapped into a reserve the orcs had never battled against before and the enraged warrior out classed them. After a few heated moments of battle, half of the orcan army lay dead or dying and the other was in the process of fleeing. The elven warrior had not escaped unscathed though. He stood, watching his foes flee, weakened and bleeding. He would not be able to make his traditional hasty escape and his battle-fogged mind knew this, yet he still attempted. He took a few unsteady steps, but finally collapsed. To his unabashed luck, he collapsed into the waiting arms of Aragorn. The other ranger had seen the elf's wavering strength and had made a move to help him. He swung the limp body of the elf into his arms.

"We need to get him back to the palace, NOW!" he shouted at Gorfindel. The older elf nodded and ran off towards the palace. Aragorn the weight of the elf and slowly began to walk. 'He means too much to us and I shall not loose him now, nor ever. No one shall ever get a hold of this ranger with out going trough me.'

But if you're in the eye of storm

Just think of the lonely dove

The experience of survival is the key

To the gravity of love.

* * *

Aragorn sighed again. Gorfindel and Elrond had locked themselves in the room hours ago and they had yet to hear any news about the ranger. 'Damn it! How long is this going to take?' The door silently swung open and Gorfindel stepped out. He looked harried and frazzled, older than an elf is supposed to. Aragorn's gaze caught with the elf's.

"He shall be fine for the moment," Gorfindel said quietly. The Fellowship let out a small sigh. "But we fear something far greater." Aragorn stared at him. "We fear he may not heal."

"Why do you say that?" Gandalf questioned. "All elves are natural healers." Gorfindel nodded.

"But it seems that the prin…" He caught his slip up. "Ranger has not healed properly from his other battles, as if he can not heal properly."

"And what if he doesn't?" Aragorn asked coldly.

"He shall be scared beyond repair." Frodo looked at Gorfindel.

"You slipped on your words, why?" The elf froze; he thought no one had heard it.

"We have discovered something else about the ranger."

"What?" Aragorn shot. Gorfindel didn't reply. "What is it, god damn it?!?" Gorfindel sighed. 'Here goes nothing.'

"It seems we did know him after all."

"What?"

"It seems that our ranger is none other that the prince himself."

"You mean..?"

"Yes, he is the missing prince Legolas."

* * *