Fan Fiction ❯ Fate of the Fires ❯ A Dismal Reality ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fate of the Fires

Part XI: A Dismal Reality

Lady Mars

* * *

The orc ran as fast as it could, Frodo hefted over his shoulder. Frodo sighed; this wasn't his idea of a pleasant situation. The orc had been running like Sauron was hot on his heels; he knew that the elf would be after him soon. He didn't want to face the elf and his dogs without the assistance of his comrades and it was taking him longer than expected to reach the rendezvous point. The orc burst through the tree cover and saw his comrades. The pair turned to him.

"Kshrauko, it took you long enough," one snapped.

"I know," he replied setting Frodo down. "I had a run in with the elf."

"The elf?" the other asked.

"Yes. He doesn't seem to happy either."

"What are we going to do?"

"I'm not sure." Kshrauko scanned the area behind him. "I know he'll be here soon, so we'd better get back to the others." The pair nodded their agreement. Kshrauko picked Frodo up again and the trio ran off. Frodo stared as the forest disappeared behind him. 'I hope Legolas gets here quick. Heaven only knows what they're going to do to me…'

* * *

Legolas watched as the white masses zigzagged through the trees, trying to keep the scent. They had been hunting for the foul creature for over an hour and had come up with nothing. The elf stopped; his head was pounding. Ajaya, the only female dog in the pack, stopped next her master's side and whimpered. Legolas looked down at the beast and smiled gently. He lowered himself down to her level.

"I'm fine." The dog continued to stare at him with sadness in her eyes. "Don't give me that look; I can handle myself." The dog whimpered at him. He ran his fingers through the dog's white fur. "I promise to take it easy for the next few days once we get here, okay?" The dog barked her agreement. Legolas smiled and stood up again. He gave a shrill whistle that was replied by a chorus of short barks. Legolas turned to Ajaya. "It seems we have a lead, shall we go?" The dog barked and tore off. Legolas sighed, shaking his head. 'This would be so much easier if I had grabbed Arod.' He sighed and took off after the dog.

* * *

The orcan troops stood, exchanging glances at each other, awaiting the arrival of the elven warrior. They knew he would get there soon, but how soon was their only worry. They stood, chatting about nothing, awaiting his arrival.

"Do you think he's coming?" one asked.

"Definitely; he's a sucker for a trap like this," another replied. "He'll step right into it and we'll have him AND the hobbit."

"Don't be so sure," Kshrauko added. "The elf isn't that dumb. He'll give us one hell of a fight before he'll ever get captured."

"Are you sure?"

"Definitely." The three orcs grew quiet.

"What are we going to do once he gets here?"

"Fight; we have to, there's no other way." The others nodded. As if by cruel fate, a short whistle cut through the air. Kshrauko glanced towards the forest. "He's here, it must be him."

* * *

Legolas sat in one of the high reaches of a tree. He stared down at the orcs and pondered a plan of attacks. 'How in the devil am I going to pull this off? There must be a way to do this.' He slowly lifted his bow and pulled three arrows from his quiver. He gripped the shafts lightly and gave a quiet whistle. The dogs all turned to look at him. He whistled again and the dogs turned towards the edge of the forest. He let out one final, rather loud, whistle. The dogs tore off into the clearing and into the mess of orcs. He readied the arrows as the dogs attacked. 'I hope this works.'

* * *

Kshrauko shifted his weight as the dogs tore out of the forest. 'The dogs are here, but the elf isn't. Where the hell is he?' He listened intently as the first orc went down with a howl under the weight of a dog. He watched in horror as the rest of his troops fell under the dogs' power or from the hidden elf's arrows. The troops dwindled down to a handful in a matter of a few short minutes. The dogs moved in to take him out, but were stopped short by a curt whistle. Legolas emerged from the forest, a cold look in his eyes.

"You have three choices orc," the elf spat bitterly. "One, you give me back the hobbit and go on your merry way. Two, you don't agree, you become dog chow. Three, I just do a way with you now and get it over with. It's your choice." The orc gently set Frodo down and snapped the ropes holding him. Legolas watched as he and the other orcs slowly shrank away. "Now be gone and if I EVER see you anywhere near here again, you will perish in flames." The orcs took one last glance at the elf and ran off. Legolas sighed, letting his shoulders drop. He looked drained, almost as if he'd been fighting some other force the whole time. The elf looked at the hobbit and sighed. "We best be going, a storm is rolling in." The hobbit nodded and followed him back into the forest.

* * *

Frodo stood staring at the large doors in front of him. It had taken them longer than expected to return to the palace and they were both drenched by the time they got into the main hall. Legolas had stalked off without a word and hadn't been seen for the whole night. He now stood at the doorway to unanswered questions, questioning whether or not to go in. He inhaled and pushed the door open. His eyes adjusted to the dim light in the room as he scanned it. He froze when he heard the lower growling of on of the devil hounds.

"Oh stuff it Devil, he won't do any harm." The dog stopped growling. "What do you want Frodo?" The hobbit was caught off guard by the question.

"I wanted to know if you were ok," he mumbled quietly. Legolas shifted forward on the bed; Frodo could now see the elf from behind the looming figure of Devil.

"Ok?" The elf scoffed. "I haven't been 'ok' for a long while now Frodo. Quite frankly, I don't even remember what being ok is like. My life was turned upside down in a matter of seconds and I have never been able to look back since then. And the minute I let ANY of my defenses go, I will be in serious trouble."

"Why? Why do you say that?"

"Why? I am this way because of them. Those damn orcs never let me get a moment's peace ever since I got that blasted thing." He made a vague gesture towards the pendant on the nightstand. "That cursed thing has ruined my life no endless extents and now I don't even have the guidance required to control it." Legolas reached up and brushed away a stray tear. "My life has fallen apart and there's nothing I can do about it but keep running. As long as I am on the move, they can't get me or hurt anyone else." Frodo didn't say anything as he watched the elf try to restrain his tears. "I hate living like this I wish, I wish I could go back, back to the way it used to be…" Frodo quietly slipped out of the room; the elf needed to be alone. He sighed knowing he should tell someone, but not knowing whom. He walked the darkened halls until an idea lightened his eyes. He tore off to an unknown destination.

* * *

"I don't know what to do," Frodo mumbled. "He won't tell anybody what's wrong and I'm lucky that I even got that. I didn't know who else to tell. I don't think any one else would understand what he's going through more than you." The horse shifted its head to the side. "I know you aren't of much help in solving the problem, but it feels good to tell someone." He stood up and patted Arod's head. "Thanks for listening." He walked out of the stables leaving the are desolate again.

* * *

Legolas stared at the ceiling. 'What do I do now? Where do I go where they can not find me or do harm to others? What do I do now mother, what do I do?'

* * *