Fan Fiction ❯ Fate of the Fires ❯ Wraiths and She Elves ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fate of the Fires

Part XIIV: Wraiths and She Elves

Lady Mars

***

The hooves of the horse pounded the wet ground below him. Legolas had left three day prior and had yet to reach the halls of Lorien. He slowed his horse down to a meager trot as he entered the next section of forest. He always slowed the beast in forest areas to keep a better ear out for orcs, wraiths, or elves. He knew that the lady of the wood rarely left her borders unguarded and today would be no exception. His dogs would point out any incoming danger, but they were not smart enough to hear the signs of an incoming elf. The fading light of the sun was also leaving him at a disadvantage; the late winter air had provided him with easy sight in the trees, but with little or no light, it was quite difficult to see the forms of elves hiding on the branches. He continued to scan the area, wondering when, if ever, he was going to get ambushed. The gentle sound of a bow being drawn answered his question rather quickly.

"Identify yourself stranger," a male elf hissed. Legolas had traveled as he always did, cloaked and unseen to the world, like any ranger would.

"I am Rogue, ranger of the East," Legolas replied. "Bearer of the cursed flames of Astadia, friend of the drake of Elindi, chaser of orcs and wraiths, masters of the Elandili wolves of Uvuorite, wielder of Uuranor, and crown prince of the former house at Mirkwood. If you dare shoot me Haldir, you shall be taken down by fifteen of the friendliest creatures you have ever met." The blonde slinked out of the shadows and into Legolas' view.

"I am sorry my lord, but we were instructed to treat all visitors as hostile." Legolas sighed.

"I can understand. Times have been less than friendly lately."

"That they have. The lord wishes to see you immediately."

"Then is shall be on my way." Legolas gently egged Arod on and the horse took off in a slow trot. Haldir watched the prince disappear into the darkness. 'I hope he can rid this land of those wretches.'

* * *

Legolas stood in the library of the Lord Celeborn watching the lord pace the length of the floor repeatedly.

"I'm glad you made it here with such haste and in one piece," the Lord muttered. "Those things have been circling the town for days and none of our guards can seem to rid us of their bane."

"That is simple, my dear lord. Your men do not wield what they fear. Without the item that they seek and transversely fear, you can do no damage. They fear and hunt me and me alone." The lord sighed, realizing that Legolas wouldn't lie to him, especially in a situation like this one.

"Then what are you going to do about it?"

"For the moment, nothing." Before the lord could speak again, Legolas spoke. "I do nothing for they fled the area. The initial reaction is flight. They will be back in a few days and once that day comes, I shall be ready to rid them for you." The lord didn't say anything. Legolas took this as a sign that he wouldn't be saying anymore and turned to leave. The moment his hand hit the door, the lord spoke up again.

"Legolas, do me a favor."

"Yes my Lord?"

"Be careful."

"I will my Lord." The younger elf swung the door open, stepped out, and shut it behind him again leaving Celeborn alone. 'For the sake of Middle Earth, be careful.'

* * *

Legolas stared at the page. The symbols were blurring in his sight and he had to continue to brush the fallen locks out of his face. When he started the tome a few hours ago, he thought his search would be easy, with one tome and his hair up his search would be done in great haste. Or at least the thought that when he started. His blonde locks had become nothing short of an irritant and he still hadn't found what he was looking for.

"Find what you're looking for?" Legolas gazed up to see a she elf standing on the other side of the table he was sitting at. Her short auburn hair danced at her shoulders and her green eyes sparkled in the low light of the library.

"Not in the least. What I search for died with the past. Almost exactly like my present is."

"Dieing like the past?" Legolas nodded. "These tomes are no good for anything else than weapons. Waste of paper I say."

"I have to agree, seeing I've read almost all of these back in Rivendell."

"All of them?"

"Most all of them."

"That's impressive. I'm Vanima, a keeper of these tomes."

"I am Rogue, ranger of the east."

"A ranger among the tomes, that is odd. Why do you search these reaches?"

"I am looking for a dead language and can not find a trace of it."

"That seems counter productive."

"It is. Extremely counter productive."

"How long are you going to be here?" Legolas shut his book.

"In this library, not a moment longer. In Lorien? I'm not quite sure yet." He rose and hefted the book back to its shelf.

"Well I hope you come back and see me."

"I will make a point of it good lady." Legolas bowed slightly and then arose and walked out of the library. Vanima sighed. 'Why can't I find more men like him?'

* * *

Legolas settled down into his chair at the table. Celeborn had insisted that he quit his search long enough to join them in a meal. The prince obliged only because he hadn't eaten properly in a few days. The table was full of faces he didn't recognize; they were mostly upper members of the Lorien guard, many of which he had only seen at arrow point. They all seemed friendly, but he was still apprehensive about being among them. He glanced at the empty chair at his left. 'I wonder who we are waiting for.' He didn't have to wait long. The doors sung open and a she elf entered.

"I am sorry my lord, I had much to finish," she muttered.

"It is quite all right Vanima," Celeborn replied. Legolas' mind raced. 'That's the same woman from the library.' "Your usual place has been occupied by our guest."

"Guest?" She sat down next to Legolas; Legolas smiled lightly in return.

"Vanima, this is Legolas, heir to the throne of what was Mirkwood." Vanima gaped at him. "Legolas, this is Vanima, the head of our libraries in Lorien and the Lorien historian."

"Ranger?" Vanima barked.

"Librarian?" Legolas barked back.

"You deceitful wretch."

"I can say the same."

"Playing me as some fool."

"I was playing you? You are being ridiculous! You were playing me!"

"I, play you? You are the ridiculous one."

"You addressed me first."

"Well you didn't have to lie about it."

"I wasn't lying. I didn't tell you everything."

"Which is the same as lying." Galadriel turned to Haldir on her left.

"Who's idea was it to put those two together?" the lady whispered.

"Lord Celeborn," Haldir replied.

"Good. He shall be a dead man by the end of the night then."

"So where do you get off yelling at me for? You lied too!" Legolas snapped.

"Well MY lie wasn't THAT far from the truth, now WAS IT?" The fire sparked in Legolas' eyes. He knew that if he didn't leave soon, this would become very ugly. He abruptly rose from his seat.

"I am truly sorry for this display my Lord," he turned to Galadriel. "Lady Galadriel. I shall be leaving before it gets too out of hand." He walked out of the room without saying another word. The other members of the table exchanged glances, unsure of what to do. Unexpectedly, Galadriel rose.

"I shall see to him." She stepped away from her chair.

"My lady," Haldir mumbled.

"Trust me Haldir, no one else should be near him right now." And with that, the lady left the room.

* * *

Legolas sat among the twisted roots of one of the many trees of Lorien. He knew, both in his heart and head that he should have controlled himself better than that, but he didn't.

"Is there something wrong my son?" Legolas looked up and met the gentle gaze of Galadriel.

"Many things are wrong, but none of them give me any idea on how to make it better."

"Life was meant to be that way. No one ever said any path would be easy, but in the end everything seems to work out, doesn't it?"

"It doesn't seem that way."

"Loss is a hard thing to deal with, especially when it is as rapid and mass as yours. But, in time, your wounds will heal and all will be right again." Legolas smiled weakly.

"I guess you're right."

"I know I am." She extended her hand and helped Legolas back to his feet. "Now are you going to try not to torch my palace anymore?"

"Of course. I wouldn't have done it intestinally anyway."

"I know you wouldn't, but I was just making sure." Legolas chuckled.

"I'm not a pyromaniac."

"How can I be sure?" Legolas chuckled.

"I guess you can't." The pair walked back to the palace. "But I know if I was, you'd kill me."

"Maybe not THAT drastic, but it does sound like a good idea."

"What? Killing me?"

"No, being a pyromaniac. It sounds like fun." Legolas chuckled again.

"I guess it is."

* * *

Legolas watched as his hair danced in the cold afternoon wind. He knew the wraiths would return soon, so he knew that when he left, they would follow him. He had left the palace with somber feelings. He had apologized to Vanima for yelling at her, but she didn't seem impressed. 'I give up with she elves. They just aren't worth my time anymore. I can not understand them and they just don't like me. But I have more important things to deal with right now.' He shifted as Arod turned in a circle, displaying his nervousness. Legolas patted the beast, trying to get his companion to calm himself. The beast knew what was going on, he always knew. Devil's white head kept shifting, searching for something that even Legolas could not detect. The dog snarled low when he found what he was looking for. Legolas jerked Arod around and egged the horse on. With blinding speed, the horse tore off, the wolves and a chorus of howls following them. Legolas didn't dare look back for he knew they were there. They were always there; the stench of charred flesh chasing after him always. Arod and the wolves swiftly dance among the lanky trees, but Legolas knew that alone wouldn't stop the wraiths from chasing him. There was little he could do to stop them from chasing him. The only thing he could do would be to dangerous to perform within the confines of the trees. He knew if he could escape the confines of the trees, he could rid himself of the wraiths, but with each passing moment, the demons grew ever closer to him. He smiled grimly when he caught sight of the light flowing in from the edge of the forest. When he burst through the thick web of trees and into the sunlight, it felt as if a burden had been lifted from his soul. He pulled Arod to a stop, strung his bow, and fired. The arrow landed among the rocks outside Lorien's borders. He turned the horse back in the direction they were going and egged him on again. "Fires of the night burn with the light of the day; the light of the day shows its true power in driving evil away." Legolas cast a glance over his shoulder, hoping the incantation would work. The wraiths exploded through the woods with hollowing screams. The pressed on, oblivious to the arrow wedged into the soil. When the first one went to cross the arrow, the beast was set a flame. In it's terror, it ran into another, causing it to ignite too. In a few short moments, the whole pack was a blaze and now running in the opposite direction. 'Fools. By now they should know better than to cross me.'

* * *

The lord sat quietly in his chambers; the news he had just received bothered him. The prize he had been ardently seeking had slipped through his fingers once again. He snorted. One day elf, you shall see. One day you will know why all the Astadian Fire Callers have died. Nothing will stop my quest. Not you, not your friends, not anyone. Your day shall come and you will rue the day you decided to cross me.'

* * *