Fan Fiction ❯ Fate of the Fires ❯ Awaiting a Hero ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fate of the Fires

Part XIX: Awaiting a Hero

Lady Mars

AN: I would like to say this: XP. That's to Peter Jackson for killing Haldir. So to spite him, Haldir is still living. I love having this sort of power. And I'd like to thank Karen for letting me borrow her muses. ^^ And in response to her review ((You know who I'm talking to…)) I am a yaoi fan girl, but not in this story dear. But there are always others….

***

The congregation all stared at Haldir. The elf had come with the most disturbing news they had heard since the beginning of their adventure. Haldir's eyes were glued to the floor; he had no intensions of meeting any pair of eyes in the room. The only pair he had chanced a glance at were Legolas' and the hollow gaze the prince returned wasn't reassuring.

"Now explain to us what has happened Haldir," Elrond said firmly. Haldir took a shaky breath before beginning his tale.

"We never saw it coming," he stammered. "They swamped the entire city in under an hour. I was lucky to get out alive." He swallowed, trying to calm his all ready jittery nerves. "I was on my way to the stables, luck have it, to come here for help when they invaded. Our guards were no match for them; many of them perished under orcan blades. The few that made it were sent to find Lord Celeborn and send him here."

"The lord wasn't home at the time?" Elrond asked. Haldir shook his head.

"He was out in the northern reaches investigating a disturbance. I hope the remainder of the guard finds him before the orcs do."

"And what about the Lady?" Elrond asked again.

"She has been overtaken." They all turned to look at Legolas who was perched in the window. The youngest elf was staring out the window, not really paying their gazes any heed. "Nenya isn't radiating its power. They have taken her, the palace, and the rest of the town. Lorien has fallen, hard." They all stared at the somber elf. They all knew he was right, but didn't want to admit it. There was just something rather unnerving about Legolas' tone; he seemed hollow, empty. Before anyone could proceed to probe Legolas, the doors to the library were flung open and a servant rushed in. He was breathing heavily and his sandy brown hair was clinging to his sweat soaked face.
"My… my… My lord," he stammered.

"Aikanaro," Elrond replied. "What is going on?"

"The Lord… the Lord…" He stammered, trying to catch his breath. Another servant stumbled into the room, looking much like the first. He wasn't panting as hard.
"My Lord," he started.
"Narda'gar, what is going on?" Elrond growled.

"The Lord Celeborn was followed," Narda'gar replied.

"Ambushed," Legolas corrected. Elrond turned back to cast a cold glance at the prince, but he wasn't paying any attention to the occupants of the room. Elrond turn back to the servants.

"How bad is it?" Elrond asked. Narda'gar glanced at Aikanaro, but the other elf was still catching his breath. "How bad is it?" Narda'gar sighed.

"We can't tell my lord," he replied solemnly. "There is too much blood floating around. We can't differentiate between what blood is orc and what is elf." Elrond sighed. He turned back to the congregation.

"Elrohir," he stated flatly. "Take Estel and Elladan and make sure that the guard has finished off the orcs. Gandalf, you and Gorfindel come with me. We need to see to whoever is still living. And Haldir," the Lorien guardsman looked up. "Do not worry; we will get your city and your Lady back in one piece." Haldir nodded. "We have delayed long enough." The occupants left in a flurry of robes. The servants cast one last glance at the remaining elves in the room, the pair left the room, shutting the doors behind them. Haldir had returned his gaze to the floor. Legolas turned from his position in the window to stare over the large desk at Haldir.

"You do realize that you are not the one fighting them," he said quietly. "It may seem that way outwardly, but it is nothing more than an illusion. They don't want you, or them, they want me. That is all they ever wanted. They will stop at nothing to get me. They will take down anyone and anything that lies in their path. And there's not a damn thing I can do to stop them." He leaned back and cast another cold gaze out the window. "But it's not like it matters anyway. There wasn't anything I could do to stop them in the first place. They would have taken over all of Middle Earth, with or without me to stop them." He chuckled lightly and turned back to Haldir. "You all deserve that fate anyway. We are nothing more than a nuisance to them; something standing in their way of complete domination and I have had enough." He stood from his spot and slowly walked to Haldir. "Do as you like," he said walking past the chair the elfin warrior was sitting in. "But as far as I am concerned, I am no more than a dead elf who wishes to be left out of the fight. No one will survive this, so it is not worth the effort to fight. They will conquer all in the end." Legolas slowly exited the room leaving a dumbfounded Haldir in his wake.

***

Elladan stormed through the halls of the palace, the words of Haldir still ringing in his ears. He couldn't believe what the guardsman had told them, but he knew that they could only be true. 'Why? Why would he say that? What has gotten into him?' The twin strode through the hallway, his eyes glazing over with anger. He mounted the stairs to Legolas' room two at a time; he needed to have a word with the prince. He flung the heavy doors open with enough force to rip them off of the hinges. Legolas spun on his heel to watch the enraged elf come toward him.

"What do you want?" the prince's tone was dripping with animosity. Elladan strode up and swung, his fist connecting with the right side of Legolas' face. Legolas reeled from the force and unexpected attack.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Elladan hissed. Legolas snagged the collar of Elladan's tunic and slammed him into the nearest wall.

"I could ask you the same thing mellon-nin," the younger elf hissed. Elladan's breath caught in his throat as he gazed into the other's eyes. The prince's eyes were cold, but something else danced in the green pools. He had seen elation, sadness, anger and irritability cross those pools in his long days, but nothing like this had ever graced the Prince's fine features. Legolas' eyes boiled with pure, unabashed rage. He had never seen anything like this come from the mild mannered prince and it shook him to the core to see his friend so angry.

Legolas took steady breaths, trying to keep his anger under control. He didn't want to hurt his friend, but his rage had a tighter grip on him. All he could see was red; red from the blood of his family, red from the blood of his friends, red from his own blood. His power coursed quickly through his veins, carried by the adrenaline that raced through his system. He no longer saw the son of Elrond clenched in his fists, but he saw Thaurer staring down at him; laughing at the elf's weakness.

"What's the matter elfling?" The voice was most definitely, but the fringes of Legolas' consciousness told him it couldn't be. He had watched Thaurer die on the cold tile; he had witnessed the man's death at his own hand. But his head told him that it was Thaurer in his clutches. Legolas shook his head trying to clear it, but it was to no avail.

Elladan watched as his friend tried to conquer his inner conflict. He seemed to be at war with himself, but the elder elf wasn't sure what it was about. All he could do was watch and hope the prince didn't make and rash decisions.

Legolas looked up again and still saw Thaurer standing there, laughing at him. He felt the twinges of his power slowly flowing out of his fingertips. He fought to hold it back, but his body had full control over his actions.

Elladan's eyes widened at the gentle kiss of fire next to his skin. He knew this wouldn't get any better if he didn't do something and fast. He raised his right hand and set it on Legolas' face, drawing the prince's divided attention back to him.

"Mani naa ta, melon-nin?" He asked quietly. "Mani nwalmea lle?" Legolas met the other elf with fear clenching his gaze. The younger elf released his grasp and ran back a few steps. Elladan dropped his arm back to its normal resting place and watched the prince apprehensively. The elf seemed startled, but by what Elladan wasn't sure. It seemed that he had really scared the younger elf, but he didn't know why his friend should fear him. He walked towards Legolas slowly, trying not to frighten him any more than he all ready had.

Legolas rubbed his hands over his face, trying to clear his thoughts. When he looked up again, his vision was blurred. He rubbed his eyes again, trying to clear them, but it was to no avail. Elladan slowly walked over and placed his hands on the other's arms.

"Legolas?" he asked quietly. Legolas looked up at the twin and saw the concern in his eyes. Elladan pulled Legolas into a tight embrace, trying to quell his emotions.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "I don't know what came over me." Elladan held onto the prince as he tried to get a hold of his emotions. The elder elf didn't say anything; he didn't know what to say at all. His mind was racing over the options of what to do about the situation. His mind locked on only one solution, but he would have to leave the grieving elf to execute it.

Elladan pulled back to look at Legolas. The other elf met his gaze shakily.

"I need to go speak to father," Elladan said quietly, his gaze never leaving Legolas'. "Are you going to be all right without me?" Legolas nodded. "Are you sure?" He nodded again. "Ok, I will be back soon." He let go of the other elf and walked away apprehensively. He ducked out of the door and took off down the hallway. 'The longer he goes without aid, the worse this is going to get. I hope I am not too late.'

***

"So what are we to do about this?" Elrond asked. Seated in front of his desk were Aragorn, Haldir, Celeborn, and Gandalf. Elrohir had taken the place of Legolas behind his father's desk. The gathering had spent the last few minutes in utter silence; no one wanted to face the grim reality in front of them, but they had no other choice. They knew the longer they lingered over the subject, the worse it would become. Since Lorien had fallen, that left one palace still in tact, one palace left to fall. "Something must be done." He was met by silence again. "Does no one have any solution?"
"We do father," Elrohir replied. "But he wishes to be left out of all affairs," he finished quietly. Elrond sighed. The elfin prince had become more and more of a problem as time progressed and now that everything came down on his shoulders, he wanted nothing to do with anyone. It troubled the elf lord that the prince was suffering, but he couldn't pin down what was happening.

"I am aware of this Elrohir," Elrond replied. "But we must find a way to circumvent this."

"But how?" Aragorn asked. "There are only so many elves we can use in Rivendell, most of the Lorien guard is injured and Mirkwood…" He trailed off, not really sure how to finish.

"What of the men?" Celeborn asked. Aragorn shook his head.

"There is no way," he replied. "It would take time to rally them and more time to get the troops here. And that's time we don't have." The group sighed.

"Are there any other options?" Gandalf asked.

"Aside from throw ourselves at Legolas' feet and beg him to help us," Haldir replied.

"Which isn't going to work." The group spun to see Elladan standing in the doorway. His face was set in a grim mask. Elrond cast his son a worried gaze.

"Elladan?" Elrond questioned.

"Father, I need to speak with you," Elladan replied.

"Elladan," Elrond replied frustrated. "Can it not wait? We are in the middle of something very important here."

"I am aware of that father," Elladan growled. "But this is very important." Elrond sighed.

"Elladan," Elrond replied, growing more angered. "We don't have time for these games." Elladan sighed, growing more aggravated.

"Father," he replied. "This isn't a joke. I need to speak with you, NOW." Elrond stared at his son.

"Elladan, we can't have this discussion now," Elrond replied. He stepped around his desk and approached his son. "We have bigger problems to solve right now." Elladan glared at his father.

"Father," he hissed. "There will be no Legolas to help you if you don't spare me a MOMENT." The glare that his son was casting him angered the elf lord but the fear that lingered in his eyes told the lord what was plaguing him.

"Elladan?" The elf took a shaky breath. "What is going on my son?" Elladan sighed again, trying to hold back his emotions.

"He worries me father," Elladan replied weakly. "Something isn't right with him. He… He… He attacked me father. Or, he tried to attack me." Elrond stared at his son.

"He tried to what?" the lord stammered.

"He tried to attack me father," Elladan replied quietly. "But he wasn't himself. Something is wrong with him. He is not himself."

"What do you mean?" Elrond asked. Elladan adverted his gaze. "Elladan?"

"Something plagues him father, something I can not place."

"Are you sure there is something wrong with him?"

"Would he attack me otherwise?" Elrond sighed; his son was right to follow his suspicions. The elder elf nodded with a sigh.

"I will see to him."

"Thank you father," Elladan replied, some of the fear fading from his face. Elrond turned back to the others.

"I need to see to this rather urgently…"

"We can wait," Celeborn replied. "This needs to be solved as fast as possible." Elrond nodded and turned back to Elladan.

"Lead." Elladan nodded and the two left the room. The remaining occupants sat quietly.

"Is it just me," Elrohir broke through the lingering silence. "Or is the Valar testing us?"

"It is," Aragorn replied. "And we are in serious trouble if we fail this test."

***

Elladan apprehensively stuck his head through the door to Legolas' room. He watched for any sign of movement, but there was none. He stuck his head in further to get a better view. He still saw nothing but the long shadows cast by the fire.

"Elladan?" Elrond questioned. Elladan waved him off as he crept into the room. Something was unsettling about the silence that had overtaken the room. He scanned the room, searching for any sign of the other elf, but he couldn't see any. Elrond cast him an angered glance.

"I don't know where he is father," Elladan replied. "He was here when I…" His head snapped to the other side of the room. Elrond followed his son's gaze. In one of the dark corners of the room sat Legolas, staring back at the pair. Elladan cast a sidewise glance at his father as if to say 'I told you so.' Elrond narrowed his gaze at his son before turning back to Legolas.

Legolas stared at the two elves that had entered the room. He vaguely recognized one, but the other took one the form of Thaurer again. He slid backward on the tile floor, trying to place more distance between himself and the visitors.

"Legolas?" Elladan asked. Legolas stared wearily at him. "Legolas, it is ok, it's just me. It's Elladan." Legolas' gaze shifted from one of fear to one of mild understanding. "I'm not going to hurt you, I promise." The elf walked slowly over to Legolas. Legolas didn't move, but his gaze was locked on Elrond. Elladan followed the other's gaze to his father. "He's not going to hurt you either," he replied. "That's father remember?" Legolas' gaze shifted from confusion to clarity in a brief instant. "Come on; let's get you up off of this floor." Elladan extended his hands and gently pulled the other elf to his feet. For the first time that night, he could really see the weariness in the other's face. It was etched in every line that the young elf was exhibiting.

Elladan led Legolas over to his bed and stepped back as the younger elf settled into the pillows. Elrond sighed.

"I knew we missed something," he mumbled. Elladan turned to look at his father.

"It is not your fault father," he replied. "It was a rough night for all of us. I can not blame you for it, but it does need to be remedied."

"That it does," Elrond replied. "I will be back momentarily." Elladan nodded.

"I wasn't planning on leaving." Elrond sighed and exited the room.

Now alone again, Elladan turned back to Legolas. The fire cast long shadows over him, but no matter what the light, the elf was visibly flushed. Elladan sighed; it seemed like trouble followed Legolas around like a shadow.

"I have a vague idea of what you are thinking 'Dan," Legolas said weakly. "And at this point I would have to agree with you." Elladan arched an eyebrow at the comment.

"What, pray tell, do you believe I was thinking?" Elladan questioned, sitting on the end of the bed.

"That I am consistently burdened by some form of a problem," Legolas replied.

"How did you know I was thinking that?" Elladan asked.

"Because," Legolas replied, sitting up. "Your father tells me that every time I have to be patched up. I'm starting to believe he's right."

"You have got to be kidding me," Elladan replied, deadpan.

"I'm not," Legolas replied. Elladan went to speak again, but Legolas cut him off. "And do not give me that line about the fever speaking. I am very coherent, thank you. It seems that I can not escape these lingering problems."

"And that's why you think like this?" Elladan replied. "Legolas, you are being ridiculous. Everyone has problems now and again, but having a string of them does not mean there is something wrong with you. It is all coincidence, my friend, and it is nothing more than that." Legolas sighed; Elladan was making more sense now than he ever had. Legolas dropped his gaze away from the twin.

"Maybe you're right…" Elladan smiled gently and set his hand on Legolas' shin. He could almost feel the guilt radiating off of the other elf.

"Don't chastise yourself. You've been through some rough times the last few months; any of us would have caved by now. It takes amazing strength to pull of everything you have without killing needlessly." Elladan leaned over and tipped Legolas' chin up so their gazes would meet. "You are a lot stronger than you make yourself out to be, but you mustn't forget that even the strongest of people still need support and comfort. Please, don't block us out, we just want to help." Legolas stared at the twin for a moment.

"Maybe you're right…" Elladan moved from his position on the end of the bed to up next to Legolas.

"I may not be as wise as father, but I've been known to give good advice now and then…" Legolas chuckled.

"I do recall your father warning me of that…"

"Of what?" the other replied, slightly confused.

"Your advice." Elladan rolled his eyes.

"I tell him the wrong herb once, ONCE, and I get ridiculed for the rest of my life. I can't win!" Legolas started chuckling, but winced suddenly. Elladan's expression change from one of exasperation to one of concern rather quickly. "What? What is it?" Legolas had a weak grasp on his left side.

"It's nothing," he replied weakly. "Nothing that won't…pass." Elladan looked at his friend worriedly; he hated seeing the other in such pain, but there wasn't much he could do until Elrond returned. After a few moments, Legolas had relaxed again. He took a few deep breaths to clear the last remnants of the pain out of his head.

"Are you all right?" Legolas nodded.

"It is better than it was before." He let out a small sigh. "It used to last twice as long and linger for hours."

"Which really makes me wonder how I missed it." The pair looked up to see that Elrond had returned.

"Father," Elladan replied. "We didn't hear you come in."

"An engrossing conversation will do that," Elrond replied setting a jar on the bedside table. Legolas slowly removed his tunic and winced when he jarred the injury. "How long has it been this way Legolas?"

"Ever since I woke up," he replied softly.

"And you didn't tell anyone?" Elrond asked, slightly irate.

"I'm sorry my lord," he apologized. "I haven't been thinking straight these last few days." Elrond moved to continue the gentle chastising, but caught Elladan's gaze. He could see his son pleading for him not to press the matter any further; the younger elf had suffered enough for one day. Elrond sighed.

"It is all right Legolas," he replied. "As long as we see to it now, I don't see what harm could have been done." Legolas nodded his agreement and sat up to allow Elrond to remove the bandage wrapping the wound. The elf lord slowly pulled away the soiled cloth to reveal the stab wound in Legolas' side.

The wound was swollen and warm under the lord's gentle touch. Legolas gasped again at Elrond's gentle probing. The lord cast a cool gaze at the younger elf before turning to the small jar he had brought with him.

"As I figured," Elrond mumbled. "Thaurer put something lingering on that blade of his." Legolas hissed as Elrond lightly applied the salve on his wound. "Does it really hurt that much?"

"No," Legolas ground out. "It's cold." Elrond chuckled.

"Still adverse to the cold, are we?" Elladan chided. Legolas shot him a deadly glare.

"Keep talking like that and I will give YOU something to be adverse to," he quietly hissed.

"Not in the house children," Elrond scolded as he wrapped Legolas' wound again. Once he had finished, he turned back to Legolas. "I want to see that in the morning." Legolas nodded. He turned to Elladan. "I think we should be leaving now, the prince needs his rest." Elladan nodded his agreement and went to get up when Legolas stopped him from moving.

"If you don't mind my lord," Legolas interjected. "I wouldn't mind having some company for a while." He turned to Elladan. "The hounds don't exactly make the best of companions."

"It is fine with me," Elrond replied. "As long as you don't keep him up all night Elladan."

"I won't," Elladan replied. "I promise." Elrond smiled and walked away from the pair. He cast on last gaze at the pair before exiting the room.

"I will never understand them."

***

The table at the morning meal a few days later had taken on an extreme strain. They were all thinking the same thought, but none of them could, or would, dare to say it. It was a lingering problem that no one had an answer to.

"Will one of you just say it already?" Legolas' howl broke the tense silence. "I can take it no longer!" The other occupants exchanged nervous glances, but still said nothing. "I can't believe this, how long are you going to dance around this? I am not fragile! Why don't you say it or shall I just answer it for you anyway?" They all sat in silence. "Fine, you can go to Lorien without me, I refuse to be any part of this debauchery. I have had enough of these beasts." The warriors at the table exchanged glances, not really sure how to react.

"I expected nothing less," Elrond replied. "You have been through enough to drive anyone to madness in the last months and I expected that you wouldn't be taking part in this." The other occupants of the table just stared at Elrond. "You are welcome to stay under my roof as long as you please, dear prince. But I must demand you stay until that wound heals." Legolas nodded. He turned back to the other occupants of the room. "For the rest of you, we will be heading out come noon. We need to get to Lorien as soon as possible." The others nodded and resumed eating. The rest of the meal passed on in silence.

***

Legolas stood on his balcony, watching the last of the combined troop disappear over the ridge. He knew he should go with them, but he had no desire to be any part of the fight.

"Do you realize how cowardly you look right now?" He turned slightly to see Arwen standing in the doorway. "After all you have fought for in the past, you back out on a simple fight to restore Lorien?"

"It is not that simple Arwen," Legolas ground out. "These Uruks want me dead. I can't risk my life to go save the city."

"And yet you're willing to let my father, husband, and brothers risk their lives to do so?" Arwen hissed back. "All the people you care about are out there risking their lives for you and you refuse to fight. No matter what you think, that makes you a coward Greenleaf; a black mark on you family's name." Legolas gripped the railing, but said nothing in response. "You are a disgrace to the elven name Legolas. I hope you are proud of yourself." Legolas felt his power threatening to spill over.
"Arwen," he ground out between clenched teeth. "If you don't leave no, I can not hold myself responsible for my actions."

"What?" she asked.

"Leave or be torched Arwen," Legolas replied with growing urgency. Arwen slowly backed off the balcony and disappeared into his room. Legolas stood there for a few more moments before coming under control. He stood thinking, realizing how right Arwen was. 'I don't deserve to be called a warrior.' He sighed and walked back into his room. He was about to collapse onto his bed when he saw a large white box sitting on it. He sat on the edge of the bed and pulled the box into his lap. He plucked the tag off of the top and flipped it over. Scrawled in Adhil's messy handwriting was a short message. 'I hope you get this kid. You're going to need it.' He pulled the cover off the box and picked a neatly folded letter from the top. Tears sprung to his eyes as his mother's voice echoed in his head.

Legolas,

If you are reading this, I have long since passed into a better plane. Do not worry for me my child; I lead a happy life here as much as I did on the Earth with you. But this is not a time for sad good byes; you have business to attend to.

I was blessed with the gift of foresight, a gift your father never knew of. I have foreseen your future, albeit it is not a pretty one. But I am here to remind you that you can do anything that you put your mind to. You have it in you the power to defeat the foul beasts that plague you. This is your test, my son. Every path you have trod through, through wilderness and through war has lead to this road. It is now your decision to leave the ultimate beast dormant, or let him rise from the ashes and live again. The beasts you fight fear the white rider of the flames; give them real meaning to.

Remember my uruite dulin, there can be no triumph without loss; no victory without suffering; no freedom without sacrifice. Do not let anyone's sacrifice go in vain.

Legolas set the letter down on the bed and pulled the brooch that lay under it out. He stared at the small bird before making his decision. He strode over to his desk and began to write furiously.

***

Arwen stood on her balcony, still reeling with her confrontation with Legolas. He mind was a mess with conflicting thoughts, but they faded into the back round as a white clad figure on a brown horse tore down the cobblestone path and into the woods. 'Now who could that be?' A few moments later, Aikanaro appeared.

"My lady," he spoke quietly. Arwen turned to face him. "The lord Legolas requested I give this to you." He handed her the scroll. Arwen read the scroll slowly, a smile spread across her face.

Arwen,

You have made me see the error of my ways. I have gone to join the troop in battle; pray for us all, this will not be a battle without bloodshed.

Legolas

Arwen smiled; there would be hope for Lorien yet.

***

The elves stood at the edge of the wood. There was no way to get past the swarm of orcs that lurked at the edge of the ancient wood to get to Lorien. The beast lied just to the inside of the woodland area making it impossible for them to shoot at them. They had spent many a long, hard days trekking to get there only to be stopped at the gates.

Aragorn looked at his father; the elf was lost in thought.

"Have you come up with anything yet father?" The elf sighed.

"I have drawn nothing but blanks my son," he replied solemnly. "This is becoming more and more hopeless as each moment passes." Aragorn sighed; his father was right. The longer they waited, the worse the situation became. They needed to draw the foul beasts out into the open, but doing that was an entirely different predicament in itself. The Uruks were smarter than they had expected.

"Are we making any progress?" The pair turned to see Gandalf and Celeborn approaching.

"As much progress as we can without a sense of direction," Elrond replied.

"It is going that well, is it?" Celeborn asked. Aragorn nodded.

"If it were going any better," Aragorn replied. "We would be in the woods, not out here."

"True," Celeborn replied. "So we have no ideas on how to draw them out then?"

"No my lord," Aragorn replied. "We don't." The elf sighed.

"That gets us somewhere, now doesn't it?" The others didn't reply.

"What we need," Gandalf said, breaking the momentary silence. "Is a distraction, or bait." The elders exchanged glances, trying to decide who should play bait.

"Don't look at me," Aragorn mumbled. "I've played THIS game too many times." Elrond arched an eyebrow. "You don't want to know father, trust me."

"My lord!" The gathered group turned to see Haldir coming down the hill. "The scouts speak of someone approaching the battlefield!"

"Who is it?" Celeborn asked.

"We don't know, my lord," Haldir replied. "The scout says he is enshrouded in flame." Celeborn shot a glance at Elrond who shrugged.

"Any idea who this…" Celeborn stopped when Aragorn cut him off.

"There." The king pointed out to the field lying between them and the woods of Lorien. The rider was cloaked in white atop a chocolate brown horse. The beast seemed uneasy under his master, but his rider kept it calm enough to be safe.

In a rush of clattering armor and falling trees, the Uruk Hai rushed out into the clearing to meet the rider. The rider pulled his sword from its sheath and held it above his head, watching the Uruks carefully. The beasts were closing in on the rider and horse quickly, but the rider didn't seem as phased as his horse.

That was the last they saw of the pair for a few moments; the entire battlefield was engulfed in flames. It took a few moments, but the raging flames died down. The horse and rider were gone and the orcs were dead.

"How is that possible?" Celeborn asked, surveying the damage.

"Simple." The group turned to see the white rider approaching. "The underestimated the power of the 'White Rider.'" The rider swung off his horse and turned back to the company. "I thought you could use some help." He pulled back his hood, letting his blonde hair fall onto his shoulders. "This fight is going to be a difficult on with out proper fire power." Aragorn smiled.

"It is good to have you with us Legolas," He said quietly.

"And it is good to be here my friend. But we have bigger matters to deal with right now."

***