Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VII: Shadowed Illusions, Final Destination ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The next day broke in quickly. Salira was already late for school, as she lost track in time. Six in the morning, the bus comes at 6:10, and she was racing to get ready. Up and down the halls, in and out of her room, knocking into the bookshelf a few times eventually began to wake up Cloud. Sleepy, Cloud opened his door and just stood there staring, half awake. His head followed his daughter as she rushed by, who didn't seem to notice that he was there. Yuffie, on the other hand, was sound asleep, even though there was a lot of noise in the background.
 
“Salira…” Cloud yawned as she rushed by again. Salira didn't even stop to listen, nor did she even hear him. Upon her next come by with a book bag in hand, Cloud held her back by the shoulder. “Salira…slow down…please, you're going to wake up everyone around here just running into things.”
 
“Sorry, father,” Salira responded as she turned to face him, putting on her backpack as well.
 
“It's okay…just wake up earlier…” Cloud replied. Heading back into his room, he mumbled, “Why do they have to leave so early these days…” Before long, he was found sleeping again on his bed. Salira just smiled for a quick second and rolled her eyes as she heard her bus pull up. Quickly, she left the house, sure of not to wake anyone, and boarded the bus.
 
Making her way down the narrow ally between the seats as the bus drove off, Salira located Lega near the back in an empty seat. He waved a bit once he saw her, motioning that she was able to sit next to him. Salira walked over and sat down lazily. Lega could only laugh. “No sleep again?” he asked as a joke.
 
Sarcastically, she replied, “No, I had sleeping pills this morning…I thought they were vitamins.”
 
“Of coarse,” Lega replied, laughing. “You did remember to finish the homework this time, right?”
 
“Yeah, page three hundred and two, numbers one through thirty-one, all odd in math. Read that one play and answer questions six and seven for language….that was all, correct?”
 
“Um…you forgot science…”
 
Salira banged her head against the seat. “Damn it! What was the homework…maybe I can do it before science starts after lunch.”
 
“Read pages two hundred forty-six through fifty-seven on ShinRa's experiments with mixed chemicals. And then answer the section review at the end.”
 
“Which are how many problems?”
 
“Ten.”
 
“Damn…” Salira groaned. “Those stupid Turks had to come by yesterday…and ruin my chance to finish the homework by chasing us.”
 
“Nice excuse, I'm sure Ms. Juria would pass it,” Lega responded sarcastically back to her. Salira only sent a glare. He did make a point however. Ms. Juria has no idea about the whole “Turk and ShinRa” issue her family has. Therefore, it was true that the excuse won't work. “Just hope you can get it done in time,” he finished. For the rest of the ride, it remained quiet between the two kids.
 
 
 
By the end of the day, Salira was even more tired, which made it bad for her by the time school was over with for the day. To keep her safety, Salira and Lega took a different bus home, which dropped them off a mile and a half away from their homes, then walked the rest of the way. However, it was only Salira this time to walk. Lega was picked up early by his uncle because of a visiting guest coming to visit his family. Apparently, it was very important for Lega to be there when the guest arrived, since he was picked up from school.
 
The bus dropped Salira off by a run down reactor that was used many years before. She pulled out a book from her backpack as the bus left, giving herself something to do on the way home. The girl waited for the bus to leave the sight before she crossed the street and began to head home, reading the book in the process. Lucky for her, she memorized the way home, so she didn't have to look away from her book half the time.
 
Almost to the half way mark, something moved passed Salira quickly. Curious of what it was, or who, she stopped reading and looked up. As she looked around, she saw nothing near or around her. `Must have been the wind, or someone was in a hurry,' she thought. Salira continued to walk on, going back to her reading as well.
 
It wasn't long until she was able to see a long, thin sword appearing before her from above the book she was reading. Stopping suddenly, she lowered her book and looked to see whom it belonged to. The sword was lowered once the man got her attention. He stood tall, taller than her father by a good foot in height. Silver hair reached barely to his knees, flowing lightly in the soft breeze, and his pure green eyes lay onto her with a smile.
 
“Ummm…may I help you?” Salira asked cautiously, placing her book back into her backpack. There was no answer at first, so she asked him again, “I said, may I help you?”
 
A small dark laugh came through eventually, before responding in a sinister voice, “Actually, you can.”
 
“How's so might I ask?” She questioned the figure again.
 
“I've been looking for you,” was all he said.
 
Salira backed up slowly, as fear began to swell up inside. His sentence wasn't what she had in mind for an answer. He didn't seem the type to work for Rufus, but she didn't risk it. Continuing to back off slowly, she asked calmly, “What do you mean?”
 
“No need to fear, I'm not here to harm you. I'm here to offer you a job,” he smirked as he stepped forward, keeping his pace.
 
“Job…as in?”
 
“Nothing big…”
 
“What's this job?” Salira retaliated, backing up a bit faster.
 
“It's an organization called Soldier,” the figure kept up, “I'm sure you've heard it before. It's a well known group.”
 
“Yes, I've heard of ShinRa's groups,” Salira hissed, “And no I'm not going to consider it either.”
 
“What a shame, child,” his voice was cold, “For it isn't in his hands anymore. Rufus denied keeping up with it. Now it's under new management.”
 
“Like I care, it's all the same still,” she mentioned in the same tone. “Good day, sir.” Salira turned and started to walk away. However, the same figure appeared in front of her, causing her to stop suddenly.
 
“And I don't take no for an answer, small girl,” harshly came from his voice with a smile, “If I were you, I would take the job. You wouldn't enjoy the results if you refused this.”
 
“And why am I the one you pick?” she asked back, hoping to get some answers of this situation.
 
“You? Reason coming from yourself, child,” was his answer, “It lies in past, and why you are here this day.”
 
“I'm not buying nor do I care. I said I'm not interested, and that's final. No other suggestions will change my mind.”
 
“I can help you stay away from your enemies, such as Turks, that's one of what Soldier has to offer,” he tried again.
 
“Sorry, no. I have my own protection from them, thank you,” Salira replied before turning once again and walking off, before long, running to get away. But once again, the figure stops her from her attempt.
 
“I told you, I don't take no for an answer…and you will be coming with me, whether you like it or not.”
 
“You can't make me!” Salira refused.
 
“How much do you want to bet? I hold more power than what you might think,” he replied softly.
 
“Who the hell are you to say this?!” she demanded.
 
“A name that cannot be spoken without a scream is all I can say. Now come.”
 
The figure went to grab Salira's arm. She jerked away, and, soon following, a gunshot came to the left of them. The attention turned from the girl to the echo of the shot, as the figure that stood next to her snarled. Salira could hear something being mumbled from him softly, “Valentine…” He readied his blade as he stepped forward to show himself in better view to the one that lurked in the shadows, placing a spell on Salira to keep her from leaving the scene as well.
 
“Why paralyze her, when you know she can't go far without you catching up,” a deep voice replied, with the sound of a gun cock in the background, among the shadows. “Or, do you just want her to see the havoc that you cause in a simple second?” It was a sarcastic tone that anyone could hear; yet it wasn't demanding enough to start something. “You have no respect. And you know who would be after you.”
 
“It wouldn't be the first time and it wouldn't make much hindrance, since he would disappear with some help,” the sinister voice replied.
 
“A sick child you are, almost worse than Hojo himself. A shame that you're bringing her into this. A coward you are as well.”
 
“You aren't aware of the past, are you?” was given back before the figure that stood next to Salira disappeared. Once he left, she was able to move again. However, she continued to stare in the area where the last guy remained. “You need to head home,” he replied without an introduction and in a rush, “Come, I'll take you, he won't be back with me here.” The man gestured with his right hand to come, keeping the other hidden in the cape he wore, though it made no difference on if it was there or not. Salira was able to see the gold that made his other `claw-like' hand. A rifle was hanging off his side, seeming to be loaded from what she saw. Knowing of only rumors, Salira only thought of one person.
 
He gestured once again to follow. Salira had the feeling to trust him, he didn't seem to be an enemy of any sort, and was even thankful that he sent the other one away from her. Keeping her distance, she walked to him slowly. “It's ok,” he replied even softer, leading her the rest of the way home with her at his side, and alert for the return of the tall man.