Fan Fiction ❯ Forbidden Anamnesis ❯ FA Part 1: The Eternal Awakens ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A howl was unleashed over the thrashing storm. Rain stormed upon the forest canopy as all creatures seeked refuge from the weather. That is, all but 4. A bear of a size no other animal could compare stormed through the forest destroying plants, animals and trees as it made it's way through - chasing it's one and only target. This was no regular bear, but one that had been caught up in a twisted experiment that had been going on for years. Upon it's shoulder was a small sphere glowing in the evening sky.

The abomination left massive footprints in its wake as it chased the man in the lead. The creature could tell this man was different due to all the previous Human's and Elves that fell to his speed. Though large and bulky, the bear was not to be underestimated. This one “human” seemed to be toying by letting the monster pursue him - Something that was hard for any creature of any race to take lightly.

The man leapt an incredible distance into the night sky before he turned around flinging several large multi coloured fireballs at the Bear. Each one struck their target exploding in bursts of light the moment it made contact, leaving the atrocity stunned. Out of the forest burst another 2 creatures resembling humans. One was a female that moved with the speed of the creature being chased by the bear while the other was a male, dressed in light armour emerged dragging a lumberjack's axe behind him.

The female pulled out a sickle mounted at the hilt by a long sturdy chain. Wielding it with years of practice, it wrapped around the mutated animals right leg were it was caught and brought up, around, and underneath its left arm by the individual. Landing upon the ground she proved her ability by leaping off the ground the same as the man before her, sweeping the bear's balance away, and causing it to land with a violent crash. The man landed from his leap and made short work of the malformed creature with a slash from the tail of an inhuman race.

“Well that was simple enough…” the man now leaning on the axe sarcastically put. “Didn't even bother leaving anything for me to do. Next time I'm remaining in the palace.”
“We used you - You showed us where it went.” The woman now retrieving her weapon stated.
“Are you kidding? You Fenejian's must have serious sight issues if you expect me to believe that. All you had to do was follow the past of sheer destruction.”

The woman sent a glare at the man. They had already expressed their feelings about having their race called out in the open. People were very racist to races they knew little about. They could be banned from Alterea if certain words fell upon certain ears. They had enough troubles hiding the foreblades as well as Xyan's tail.

“Watch it Aloris. If we get banned, we're taking you along with us.” Zyn declared as she put away her weapon. Turning around, her eye's got a clear view of the source of the Bear's mutation. Xyan stepped towards the small orb and used his foreblade to remove the half of it that fused with the flesh of the creature.

Aloris set down his axe and reached into his back pouch, and showed them both the identical sphere. Both orbs had a never-ending source of light the radiated different colours. One being a Blizzard blue shade, while the other a forest green.

Xyan took the other from Aloris and tested them by placing one in each hand. Bringing his hands closer, he felt a surge of mana branch out through is body and into the air around him. The Amulet around his neck grew warm and relaxing as he handed one to Aloris and the other to Zyn.

“I think it's high time we see Avarus about this.” Zyn stated as she place the Forest green in her back pocket. “He's been acting oddly and denying Aloris information for the past while”
“At any rate, we're going to have to report back to him either way if we want our fee for slaying the bear.” Xyan declared. “Random jobs for free doesn't put anything to show for on the table.”

Aloris let out a small grunt. Xyan knew well Aloris didn't understand Zyn and his positions in life. Aloris had been brought up by royalty while Zyn, Ciere, and himself had to work together to survive. Only within the past 3 years did they stray into the kingdom of Alterea where they were employed by a guild of mercenaries known as the Oberro. After many jobs the 3 managed to purchase a small city home as well as proper weapons.

After a long hike through the mangled forest, Xyan began to wonder. Aloris was nobility, and yet he was also a member of Oberro - An organization for Assassins, Mercenaries, and Rogues. He was also friends with Xyan and Zyn, two people that considered themselves to be anything but royalty.

“Aloris - Just what was your intentions of joining the guild in the first place?”
“Lemme guess - I'm Nobility, so therefore I have no rights to be tided in with a crowd such as you, right? I hate the fancy, exquisite people that enter the castle every single day.” Aloris explained. “I'd much rather be out in the open, working like the rest of the men… Or in this case, other races. Best make my own living instead of having my life laid out for me.”
“Reasonable. But that doesn't explain why you're so interested in working for Oberro when there's other guilds out there. And besides - How did you even get permission to attend?” Zyn piped in. Xyan thought that she had been wondering for a while as well due to the fast answer.

“To be honest, Oberro was the first guild I found - So I joined it. I lied to my father and said I was going undercover. Every now and then I fill him with lies about Oberro's plots. None of them threaten the kingdom, so he doesn't mind. Besides, I enjoy the odd skirmish or two.”

Zyn and Xyan kept quiet. No point in involving themselves further in the matter. The rest of the walk to the City was full of idol chitchat on the glowing Orbs residing in the pockets of Aloris and Zyn.

Upon reaching the gates, Cautor, a friend of Aloris' that was a guardsman, ran up to the small party, formal armour clanking in a hurry. Aloris placed his hand on his shoulder as he arrived panting from the effort it took to move the 200-yard difference from the gates to the group's location in the heavy protective covering.

“Something wrong?”
“…Attack…going on…the king's highway…Requested assist...ance…from anyone…Bearing weapons…”
Aloris turned to Xyan and Zyn with a casual smirk on his face.
“Up for a little monster hunt?”

Zyn nodded and asked dashed off in the direction of the fighting. Fighting on the King's highway usually wasn't all that dangerous - In fact, it was common. But for the Strategic Defence coordinator to order an assault? That could only mean trouble.

Xyan was about to dash off when he remembered Aloris wasn't even a third the speed he was. Convincing Aloris to get a mount and then attack, Xyan sped off after his sister. Battles like this meant extra Gold in the end, after all…

Xyan through his oversized cloak onto the dirt road as he chased off after the glowing torches that represented the fight. The night sky was surprisingly bright, illuminating the faces of both Allies and Enemies. Local renegade Drow's seemed to have formed a clan and been on the way to assault the kingdom when the alarms had been raised. -No big deal- Xyan thought - At least I don't have to wear that damned cloak to conceal myself. - His tail was completely free, just the way he preferred it. He unlatched the Vambraces covering his Forearms and threw them next to the pair on the ground that Zyn wore.

He started his assault by decapitating a Drow from behind. He had always hated the race. Elves he could stand, but dark elves were another story. Something about them angered him, but he couldn't place his finger on it. Perhaps it was their abnormally high levels of testosterone. They always seem to want to fight something, and it bothered him, even though he had the inner urge to wage battle upon others.

Xyan considered the motives behind the battle as his foreblades tore another soul from its body. It matters not what caused the fight, but ending it was in his best interests. In a fight like this, it was either “kill the leader” or “kill everyone”. Xyan looked around for a Drow of different appeal. Listening to the small voice beckoning him from his chest, Xyan threw his sight to his left where his eye's met a Drow wearing a decorative headband that stood out. Just before taking off, Xyan was struck by the body of a slain dark elf.

The body lay with an arrow protruding from his eye socket, a sight one could care less to see. Xyan attempted to push the body off, but its weight was much too heavy for him to push in this angle. Unfortunately for Xyan, a renegade Human that joined the Drow's ranks spotted the helpless body off an opponent. Xyan tried to lash out at the man, but his reach was cut short. There wasn't anything he could do but attempt to block.

And axe clubbed the man in the side of the face with the flat of the blade. Aloris grabbed the scruff of the Drow's clothing and moved him enough for Xyan to free himself. Despite Aloris' attitude, he was an extremely strong man.

“Thanks. Didn't think the gods would have smiled on me for that…”
“No biggy. You just owe me, what…6 life rescues now?”
“Talk like that and I may reconsider.”
“Enough chitchat. Where's the bastard leading the group?”

Xyan pointed as he kicked a Drow in the stomach knocking him into a kingdom soldier. Aloris brought his axe down on another renegade human as he made his way towards the commander.

“Bet you I get him before you can!” Aloris shouted out to Xyan. Aloris had always told the Fenejian duo that it was best to enjoy the difficult situations, regardless of death.
“You're on!” Zyn screamed as the chained scythe flew out and wrapped itself around the Chieftain's neck dragging him down off a rock he had been standing upon.
“Hey, that's cheating!” Aloris screamed out.

“Quit whining” Xyan laughed. 2 enemies had set themselves up in the perfect position for one of Xyan's attacks. Both were running at him from opposite sides, but instead of letting them run into each other, Xyan ran towards the one closest to him. He jumped onto the Drow's shoulders and did a fastback flip, knocking down the creature, and then landing upon the other Drow that was running at him from the opposite direction. Quickly kicking off the new living footrest with years of experience, Xyan took off 30-feet into the air in the exact direction of the Drow leader being strangled by Zyn's chain.

“Team effort people!” Aloris screamed at the Airborne Xyan as he lightly chucked his axe into the air. Catching the handle, Xyan landed, axe blade nestled dead in-between the commander's ribs. Nearly the entire battlefield stopped, trying to grasp what they had just witnessed. Drow's stood, shocked to see their leader killed with such skill. For the trio, this was but a simple task they had preformed many a time in battle - But never in front of an audience.

“Think you're so smart do you…” A deep shallow voice echoed from within the midst of the living and slain. Humans and Drow's parted to leave a oversized unarmed Drow with tattoos of ancient rune symbols upon his shoulders. In the middle of the tattoos were metallic plates with more runes in it, and upon that rested 2 more orbs of glowing light.

“Crap…” Zyn said in the lowest voice she could muster to Aloris and Xyan. “He has those glowing ball things. That means this'll be hard won't it…”
“Well, if those orbs are working the way we've seen them on animals, why isn't he a mutant?” Aloris whispered back to Zyn.
“Perhaps those tattoos or the plates around it affect it. We won't know unless we ask Avarus - If we live to see it.” Xyan replied. “Either way, we aren't getting out of this fight. What's the plan?”
“Should we attempt what we did to the bear, or that kickass strategy we pulled on the last animal?” Aloris asked. The last animal that had an orb was a Bobcat. It mutated, and its speed was incredible. It took a lot of effort to take the green sphere out of the creature.

“You shall pay for your crime!” The Drow said as it rushed at them.

“Looks like he set us up for the same strategy as the bobcat - Lets go.” Zyn handed her weapon over to Aloris as she ran to the left of the monster while Xyan reflected her movements precisely. Aloris threw the sickle at the Drow, and made contact with its bicep. The only problem was, that the creature tugged on the chain sending Aloris flying into Xyan, knocking them both into the crowd of Humans and Drows with unimaginable force.

“Ugh…looks like those orbs actually work…” Aloris said as he arose, snatching a long sword from a nearby Drow. “I'll be needing this.” He ran off after the Drow with Xyan high on his heels. Aloris stopped 3 meters from the beast and let Xyan hop onto his shoulders and into the air in an attempt to recreate a similar version of the attack that left the bloody corpse of the Drow leader laying a few yards away. Aloris swung the blade, cutting into the Drow's shoulder removing the plate that held the orb. The creature caught the orb as it fell free from the plate and lodged it back into his shoulder.

The Drow began to mutate. Eyes grew large, body mass larger as well as changing of the skin colour from Navy blue to a vulgar green. It swatted Xyan out of the sky as he plummeted to the earth. Its body grew hideous, and its already oversized body grew larger, yet it's strength grew uncontrollably. Aloris was literally picked up and threw at Zyn, both being rendered unconscious by the attack.

Xyan staggered to his feet. His vision was distorted and his shoulder dislocated. Not to mention the feeling of throwing up consuming the majority of his emotion. The atrocities fingers wrapped around Xyan's chest as if he were but a toy. Standing 70 some odd feet in the air, he brought the semi-conscious body of Xyan to eyesight.

“No…one…defeats…ME!” The abomination screeched. The spectator's began to back away - Fearing the beast, yet never loosing eye contact. The monster tightened his grip on the small man now searing with uncontrollable pain in an attempt to destroy his opponent. Xyan tried to scream before the light eluded him and his mind dulled over. The beast began to laugh in an insane, almost ghostly tone before his hand grew hot, and exploded into green flames.

The arm of the mutant now erupted in fire burning with godly power. Floating in the exact spot was Xyan whose aura was clearly visible as the same golden aura that was seen in the ritual of soul nearly 20 years ago. Xyan's eye's opened, pupils no longer visible from the destructive orange flames erupting from his eyes. The Amulet around his neck illuminated the night sky, making his radiance visible to the naked eye miles on end. Xyan was an Eternal.

Reaching out in front of the spot he levitated from, a multi coloured flame ignited a grew, striking a fear of power, yet a relaxing emotion through the bodies of the Human's and Drow's watching the display. The light given off by Xyan's Amulet as well as the flame in his hand awakened Zyn and Aloris. With a combination of Xyan's voice, as well as a deeper one, the Eternal spoke to the demonic creature before him.

“Never defeated? I beg to differ…” The flame grew larger and brighter, clearly showing that this was a force not to be reckoned with. The repugnant being lashed with a side sweep of its massive arm in an attempt to swat the Eternal out of the air. Raising his left arm, Xyan blocked like it was a mere stick upon a shield.

“Die.”

Flicking his right wrist, the soul fire attack lashed out in an inferno style of an attack destroying the mutated Drow as well as the creatures behind it. The army dissipated, running either back to Alterea, or to the forest in which they came. Xyan's body began to loose the impregnable aura and plummeted to earth, right next to the plate that held the Orb. Zyn and Aloris ran up and checked his pulse.

“God, he's barely breathing, his heart is slowed and he's as cold as ice. What the hell was that?!” Aloris exclaimed. A show of that proportion was not to go unnoticed and he knew there would be problems come morning.
“Quickly, we must get back to Alterea with him unnoticed. It'll be a miracle if no one remembers him, let alone if he awakens.” Zyn said as she wrapped him in the cloak she tore off a nearby Drow. “Pick up that plate, this could be a problem. The entire kingdom will be awake from that…”

Aloris picked up the crest that held the orb and placed it in the pouch along with the orb. Between Aloris and Zyn, they carried the limp body of Xyan along in the direction of the castle, only hoping to remain unseen…