Fan Fiction ❯ Forgotten ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Forgotten Chapter 1

It was a gorgeous, sunny, morning in Greenville, North Carolina. As far as the eyes could see, there was not a trace of clouds in the sky. Heather Miller took a deep breath of the cool air, appreciating what she knew would later become a nice warm day.

The seventeen-year-old girl smiled as the warm breeze fluttered through her long, medium-blonde hair. It was the beginning of April. There less than a month of school left before summer vacation began. The warming weather accentuated the nearing freedom.

Pulling her sunglasses back down from their resting-place atop her head, the girl smiled without reason at the flowers surrounding the small courtyard fountain. Walking closer to the center of the courtyard, a group of teenagers took notice of her.

"Hey Heather!" One girl with dyed black hair called with a wave. The entire group seemed to come alive as Heather gave a half-wave and entered the circle of people. It was an effect she had grown used to in the three years she had been at Junius H. Rose High School.

A previously graduated friend had once said that Heather had always seemed like the unofficial "leader" of the group. Heather had modestly denied it, but inside, her ego had agreed with him.

Looking over the rather large group, Heather once again recalled how odd their group really was. They were a bit mismatched. There were the four average girls like herself, five average boys, a punk, a goth, and a track star. It was a strange sight to outsiders, but to all the members of the group of friends it made perfect sense that they were all together.

Heather smiled up at the girl who had first addressed her, Savanna. Savanna was the group "goth". Her attire that day consisted of black platform combat boots, blue fishnet stockings, a long black skirt with plastic buckles holding it closed, and a red fishnet shirt over a black tank top.

More than once, Heather had heard her friend Savanna called scary with her dark attire, black makeup, and many piercings. Heather had merely shrugged and called the gossiping fiends morons. She knew that her friend was a good person despite her outside appearance.

Another girl stepped up beside Savanna. Glancing at her, Heather smiled at her best friend Kaley. The short blonde-haired, track-runner had been like a second sister to Heather since their seventh grade year of middle school.

"Are you OK?" Kaley asked, with a raised eyebrow as she studied Heather's smiling face.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be OK?" Heather asked, noticing that the group around her had gone silent.

"You mean...you're not sad today?" Her friend Kallin spoke up from behind Kaley.

"Why would I be sad? I mean I know I have a big English test today, but I liked 'The Crucible' so much that I actually reread it for the test." Heather smirked as she fidgeted with her car keys. It was common knowledge that she did not do her reading assignments for English very often.

"Did you drive to school today?" Kaley raised both eyebrows and stared at her best friend in shock.

"I know my family has a history of bad driving...but I am not THAT terrible." Heather glanced around and studied the curious faces of her friends.

No one had spoken a word. It was getting on Heather's nerves. She wondered why everyone was acting so strange that day.

"That was supposed to be funny." She muttered. "Why are you guys acting so weird? Did I miss something?"

"Why are you so happy all the sudden?" Kaley frowned.

"I dunno...it's a nice day...I only have one, really easy test today. Why shouldn't I be happy?" Heather had a confused smile on her face. Her best friend lookd down at the ground while she fidgeted with the strap of her duffel bag.

"I gotta go talk to my teacher before class. But we need to talk later." Kaley said before she walked off in the direction of her first period class.

Looking around, Heather gave a questioning look to her friends. Half of them looked at her as though she were crazy. The other half had concerned frowns on their faces.

A long electronic beeping noise signaled that the first bell had rung. The group began gathering up their various backpacks and messenger bags as they all headed for their first period classes, not even bothering to speak to Heather.

Pulling off her sunglasses and tucking them into the collar of her tank top, Heather ran to catch up with two of her friends. Slowing to fall in step beside her friends, Christy and Rachel, Heather decided to see if she could get them to talk about something normal.

"Hey Christy, did you study for the English test?" Heather asked the shorter girl with dark brown hair.

"Yeah." Was all Christy said in response.

"You sure you are OK?" Rachel, the tall girl with the lighter brown hair asked as the trio entered their Honors US History class.

"Yes. Why is everyone asking me that?" Heather said to her friend over the two rows of desks between them. She sat down in her seat and pulled out her notebook, waiting for a response.

"You were crying on Friday...everyone assumes something must have happened this weekend to make you so happy today." Rachel said.

"I was crying on Friday? I don't even remember that... Weird. I must have had a migraine or something." The tardy bell rang and the school newscast came on. The girls had fallen silent. They both knew that their teacher, Mr. Wallin hated when students talked through announcements.

Heather sighed. She was content now that she understood everyone's strange behavior. They must have freaked out about seeing her crying at school. That would explain why they all thought she would be upset that particular Monday morning.

'I still don't get what the big deal about me driving to school was though.' Heather thought as she blocked out the noise from the TV perched in the left corner of the room. 'The way Kallin said it makes me wonder what she meant. Maybe my car was acting up on Friday too.'

Determined to interrogate her friends about the previous Friday, Heather started copying that day's notes off of the board instead of paying attention to the school news. She needed a distracting action. In the back of her mind, she could not shut out the nagging feeling like there was something important she had forgotten.

-End of Chapter 1-

A/N: This is the first original story I have ever posted. I would appreciate some feedback before I post the second chapter. Thanks!
-AlyRain