Fan Fiction ❯ Frailty ❯ The Rebirth ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
“Frailty”
 
 
Chapter fifteen- “The Rebirth”
 
 
A dull flash of silver caught Raven from the corner of her eye, subsequently causing her to drop into a crouch. Less than a second later, a crescent blade swept through the space that her neck once occupied.
She stuffed the prospect of what could have resulted had she not possessed such foresight down, and tore off for the nearest wall.
Is such evasion truly necessary, dear? Doctor Killjoy called after her, his menacing disciples simply phasing right through him as they chased their quarry.
Have you even `considered' the charity I am attempting to bestow upon you?
Raven, too preoccupied to respond, fled from her pursuers in a particularly lost state of mind, till a glowering `Exit' sign presented itself from the other end of the room's operating section.
In the massive confusion that presided, the reflective door that occupy the space beneath this went completely disregarded.
Though some of the room's other features, such as a large plate-glass window occupying every wall of the octagonally framed room, and a rectangular table in the center of the floor, were forcing themselves into recognition.
 
 
Caught in such panic, the mystic's mind could produce only one basic prerogative, which revealed itself when she begun to frantically sprint for the door. Though the path en-route was clear, as she grew mere inches away from the destination, it was quickly intercepted by a covey of beasts- - the likes of which seemed to just appear upon her arrival.
 
So easily seduced into changing your entire frame of mind. But you really should know by now that nothing worthwhile comes easily…
 
 
Gasping, she strode backward to evade a downward cleave.
 
 
Come, now…Killjoy spoke once more from behind her. Can you not just stand still? Why are you being so `very' predictable?
Almost as if to comply, Raven froze to the spot, and casted a furious glance into the malevolent wraith's direction.
 
 
“You said you would help me…” She growled, feeling her body temperature raise considerably.
Doctor Killjoy's betrayal was proving too much for a placid temper.
The beasts begun to enclose themselves upon her, but were given no attention in return.
And what do you call `this', dear? He argued.
“I left Harvey all alone just to come here!”
What should you care for the life of some `mortal'? They are basic. Simple. Enveloping any concern into their meaningless existences is a waste of time. Perhaps I was `wrong' to have assumed that you were so set apart from `them'.
Something within Raven's mind ruptured at this remark. Before she could receive the time to register what was occurring within her, it let itself out.
 
 
“I'LL KILL YOU!” She shrieked before releasing a supernova of dark energy. For the first time, Doctor Killjoy exhibited surprise as he watched the explosion expand, then completely obliterate his army of butchers, sending flight to their disfigured remains.
Above the battle, the beast begun to double its efforts to escape, thrashing the bars of its cage with an almost pressed nature. As if there was some duty it had to fulfill upon escaping.
 
 
The apparition stepped warily in reverse as Raven's dark eruption begun to pull itself back in, creating a vacuum that collected the body parts of his cohorts. Once this task was finished, and there remained only the blood of its victims, the void that resulted from its predated explosion shrank in proportion, till it was out of sight.
Amid the emptiness of the room stood Raven, her still imprisoned Demonic counterpart, and Doctor Killjoy.
My `word'…
The ghost uttered as he gazed into the now blood-shot eyes of his patient. She was still conscious. Slouched in posture, breathing heavily, and terribly haggard, but still wary, and still a potential danger.
 
 
It looks as though this habitual desire to cling to your cursed existence wasn't the `only' thing I underestimated…
He noted while studying her.
But, it is no complication to me. His arm raised, and swept to the side, producing another horde of beasts to do his whims.
You are powerful, dear, there is no doubt of it. But you pose no threat to those who dwell within the shadow of the living.
All it would require was a simple gesture in Raven's direction for her new group of adversaries to advance upon her.
 
 
Far from defeated, despite her condition, she stepped backward and opted to arm the M-16. After switching it to the standard three-round burst, a sudden thought changed her plans in an abrupt manner.
Behind the countless number of enemies, and Doctor Killjoy himself was something she had noticed before, but never developed much thought into- - The projector.
Though risky, it was acceptably logical to assume that something was contributing to the wraith's form of afterlife. The process to which it did this was inexplicable, but it didn't take much involved thought to destroy something, and that was what her options seemed narrowed down to.
 
It was a gamble. But it was all she had.
 
Reverting the rifle back to regular burst, Raven raised it's barrel and swept a bout of gunfire into the beasts, successfully causing them to fall back. With a window of time granted from this, she carefully placed aim on one of the many projectors in the room and fired. The first two bullets completely smote the appliance, scattering its innards to the floor.
With this, a band of light that contributed to Doctor Killjoy's form begun to flicker then simply died.
 
 
The ghost railed in shock as his being's luster gave way, and the opacity of his form grew worse.
What do you think you're doing?!? He nearly bellowed, while stumbling in reverse.
“That was it…” Raven smirked haphazardly while falling back, saving space between the beasts and herself.
“You were right, Killjoy, I can't kill you…” The M-16 raised once more, aimed for a projector that was positioned near the entrance door.
“But I can still take your immortality away from you!” She pulled the trigger, driving out an explosion of led. A second later, the targeted projector busted to pieces, aborting its contribution to Doctor Killjoy's existence.
No… The wraith's tone dropped, his head shortly following. Digging his fingers into his scalp, he picked up unsteadily, No, no, you can't do this, you FOOL!
 
 
The beasts gained on Raven with an increased vigor, one going so much as to leap toward her, with it's blades reached out. Just barely edging by, she dodged to one side, crouched, then proceeded for a nearby operating table.
The offending creature hopped after her and flailed it's arms wildly outward, attempting to hack her to pieces whilst advancing.
Raven started in surprise as a bladed landed inches away from her, but managed to scramble underneath the table.
Seeing it's assault fail, the beast retreated, then jumped straight into the air, cleaving the obstacle in two as it came back down.
 
Foreboding such a maneuver, Raven fled sheer milliseconds before it occurred.
You truly wish to destroy me? Killjoy rasped as his patient continued to dodge and weave the assaults of his cohorts, searching desperately for another projector to destroy.
And with such `flawed' cause? Did it ever dawn on you what will result should you return home in your condition?
 
 
Raven disguised a face-fault as her secondary worry was forged into words.
As she search for the next prerogative, Doctor Killjoy persisted to bode the ominous prospects that she, herself, concerned over.
What do you think will happen if you have one of those `Black-outs' near the ones you hold in regard?
The mystic felt some of her will to continue diminish at this. So much so that it caused her to pause, mouth agape.
Hiding a smug look, Killjoy continued, Do you `really' think this beast that dwells within you is capable of distinguishing between friend and foe?
He raised a finger toward the cage, where inside its contents begun to erratically thrust itself about, slamming it's entire body into the bars.
…Or that it even `cares'? What you love, it disregards! What you desire, it aims to destroy!
Chaos is it's nature, and if you leave this island, it may as well be yours!
Shut up!” Raven's dark mist consumed one of several tables, home to a wide array of sharp operating instruments. Spinning on her heel, she let it fly into the amassed covey of beasts that, beforehand, were less than three feet upon her.
 
 
Either dead, or preoccupied with the table's girth, Killjoy's accomplices posed no threat to Raven as she whirled back around to face him. Although the wraith glared, she said nothing, instead premising the M-16 to do the talking. Leveling it's barrel with the lens of a projector recessed in the upper-left corner of the operating room, she returned the ghost's gesture with a merciless glower of her own.
“You lied to me.” She replied to his entire baleful lecture with finality, then pulled the trigger.
Two of the three slugs that were expelled would make contact with their target. One was plainly enough, as the projector was rendered useless on the first shot, and collapsed under the second.
 
 
I don't know why I'm attempting to `help' you! Killjoy hissed as his patient jerked around and started for the entrance, where another projector protrude from the wall.
Ungrateful, arrogant little wretch! I hope you return home! I hope you return and `eradicate' everything you love! No, better yet, I hope you're sent to prison for it! I hope you're sent right back here, where it all started!,
 
 
Raven stopped completely at realizing that there was only one projector remaining.
Though the operating room didn't account for the entire area's space, it rose a considerable distance upward, allowing leeway for a second-story room. Although the projector was located here, there was no conventional means to climb the rise.
The mystic pondered the situation only briefly before spotting a switch-box toward the entrance.
Accepting a potentially lethal a risk, she took off in an immediate sprint for the door.
 
 
This cannot happen! Doctor Killjoy cried, panic consuming his voice quickly. He casted a sidelong glance at his minions, whom were predominantly recovered from the table assault.
Stop her! Stop her NOW!
 
They complied with little haste, but after barely accomplishing a third of the distance, time had run out.
Raven hit the wall immediately neighboring the switchbox, and forced her hand down upon a lever located to the side. The appliance that it operated nearly twenty feet above halted without a second's delay, snuffing Doctor Killjoy's last bit of life.
No! He uttered in near disbelief as his form gave its last few fleeting flickers, like that of a heart.
The squadron of beasts that he had spawned were barely even allowed time to register surprise before their forms, regardless of it's comprising material, begun to melt into a thick ooze, which settled upon the floor.
My immortality! NO!!!
Though he vanished thereafter, his voice remained for several seconds, making Raven's breath catch in her throat to a slight degree.
 
 
Despite his malevolence, his shocking betrayal, and his attempt to take her life in cold blood, after Killjoy simply dissipated into the air, like a prematurely expelled breath, Raven felt hopelessly alone, and the only thought she could manage to produce was `What if he was right?' .
Above her, the beast stood in its cage, eerily silent, as if not wishing to disrupt the moment.
It's dark; pupiless eyes locked onto her. Not capable of showing emotion, but still somehow implying that it felt something.
Eventually, she managed to feel its cold gaze bare upon her. Slowly, she lifted her head to see it staring directly at her, frozen solid.
The lost, empty feeling that resided within her easily took control of her vocal cords, as she asked aloud, “Are you really me?”
 
Although there came an unexpected reply, it was far from the beast, and fell even more so distant from the context.
 
 
If that's the way you feel about such an alternative, I cannot avoid this situation any longer…
Raven searched the operating room, immediately recognizing the tone and texture of the voice to be Doctor Killjoy's. She came up empty-handed, till raising her eyes toward the second level, where the last projector was disabled. Sure as she looked, it had lapsed back into operation, and casted the wraith toward the room's ledge.
Though Raven managed to suppress a gasp, she could not disguise the shock in her voice while rasping, “You're not dead?!?”
Killjoy laughed subtly before replying
Either I am more intelligent or you are more ignorant than I assumed to think that one such as myself could be destroyed by such conventional means.
But as long as I live at the current moment, and as long as I shall `continue' to live, I will always look back on this day and cheerfully recall the most successful reactivity experiment I have ever conducted.
 
 
Raven's eyebrows arched as she caught the last half this remark.
“Reactivity experiment…” She repeated, “You mean you weren't really trying to kill me?”
Again, Killjoy responded with a brief chuckle.
Do you really think I would be so ignorant as to blindly throw away the greatest medical find of the century? He paused to cast a thoughtful gaze toward the ground, Well…you `must' have, but that's irrelevant. This experiment was designed to see how you would react to two particular things. The first was betrayal; the second was a `true' life-threatening situation. I admit, you fell from expectation…But enough small talk, now is the time for confrontation!
“What?”
Yes, confrontation. A meeting of the minds…or shall I say, the mind, and the mind'less'?
Turn toward it, now, and see if you can reach out your deepest fear…
 
 
Raven followed Doctor Killjoy's extended forefinger to the other end of the operating room. The beast's cage had been lowered to such extents that it hung directly before the front-most window. The mystic's attention quickly became divided between this, and something else that followed the cage's suit downward. A large orb, engulfed in a sinister violet aura, was suspended over the table by four large metal hooks that protruded from a brace that wound about the artifact's spherical form. She stood prone for some time, offering only a silent gape.
“What…” She begun, but trailed, stunned that such an object had gone completely unnoticed.
“What is it?”
 
 
It is a milestone in the production of your remedy, dear. A construction forged in both the supernatural `and' material planes; my most complex invention to date.
 
 
The haze that permeated from the orb intensified as Raven drew near, causing her to fall less than a foot shy.
“What should I do?”
 
Don't fear it, firstly. I can sense your anxiety. Brace your nightmares, and place both hands upon it.
 
 
Reluctantly, Raven complied, palming it with a soft bite of her lip. Her hands promptly jerked away when the mist enveloped them, but it did no good. From the tips of her fingers, it descended up both arms and continued to spread in a similar form, till her entire body was little more than a vague humanoid sillouthe within a cloud of supernatural energy.
“What have you done?!? What is this?” Her panicked voice was nothing more than a distant echo that barely seemed to penetrate into the outside world.
 
 
Set your hands apart, and everything will reveal itself.
 
 
Raven eyed Doctor Killjoy oddly, but did as he instructed without protest. Sure as she did, that aura that engulfed her fingers begun to channel, amassing a small oval in the space between her palms. The size increased as more of the energy was collected, till the entire aura that once veiled her was sapped; Converged into a massive ball.
 
 
Now it is time. Loose it upon the beast.
 
 
Raven nodded, putting two and two together, and flung it forward like a medicine ball. Easily gaining leverage, the mass simply phased through the cage, and collided with the beast directly at the point of its chin. It clumsily staggered in reverse at first, its head violently railed backward, but quickly recovered. Almost as quickly as it regained its balance, it released an enraged holler, and swept an arm to the side, busting through the steel bars as if they were toothpicks.
 
 
Unfettered, the beast hopped out through the large crevice it had created, and proceeded to crash out through the window behind it, vanishing into the night.
Raven stared blankly at the shattered exit-point.
“I…hurt it…” She murmured in practical awe, then shifted her gaze to Doctor Killjoy.
Indeed you did, dear. Came a prompt, gratifying reply.
“But, it got away…”
The wraith gave a nod of his head, Yes, but I anticipated such an outcome. This creature is phenomenally powerful when simply at peace, but should it be threatened His tone hardened, causing his brow to crease, Should it be threatened, not even `I' can gauge the Cain that it is capable of raisingbut after seeing the progress made here tonight, I have faith in you. Your potential is the stuff of the mortal realm's nightmares. Simply immeasurable. But remember, Raven, no matter what you do to accept yourself, there's no telling whether or not one day the Bell-jar will descend again
As he said these words, Doctor Killjoy's form begun to flicker anew. Turning his palm outward, he waved a final fair well before vanishing.
And all was silent once more.
 
 
Raven cast a glance toward the window. The rain had stopped, but it didn't seem to remedy much. The beast had broken free no less than five minutes ago, and already the temperature in the operating room had noticeably dropped. After returning the M-16 to her back, she gave one more curious glance toward The Rebirth, then proceeded to exit.
 
 
Thick, heavy clouds rolled over the horizon, veiling the sky. An occasional low rumble of thunder promised more random showers before the end of the night.
The operating room exited into a small concrete depression with no particular dimensions.
A pair of cobblestone staircases set at either end led up to the Asylum's rear courtyard.
It seemed as though the area she found herself in was once used for a pool, or some sort of fountain, but a set of eroded benches placed in what was assumed to be the center suggested otherwise.
Raven begun to descend the staircase, but stopped short when she achieved enough leverage to peer into the courtyard. Bordered by thick walls that were responsible for sealing most of the asylum off from the rest of the world, it was an aged, crumbling locale too cramped to accommodate all of the features it possessed.
 
 
A statue of Doctor Killjoy himself dominated the very center. Stone-comprised walkways wound about the eroded ivory structure, and split off into four opposite directions. Although short walls ran alongside as a means to divide the ground between stone and what sparse amounts of grass it yielded, most of them were weathered, unkempt, and crumbled.
Directly before the statue occupy the true reason for Raven's abrupt halt.
 
 
The very material of his being had simply slipped through the cracks and holes of the walkways, allowing Hermes quick access to the courtyard.
Warily, Raven stepped in reverse- - This was the last apparition of Carnate she wanted to encounter.
Hermes easily picked that up, and sail toward her without warning, or reluctance.
You've `seen' death, right? He asked while approaching, I can look right through that fake guise of human behavior you put on, but what's your `real' nature? Do you succumb to that which runs through your blood, or do you lie to yourself, and try to ignore it? Have you come to Carnate guilty, or innocent?
Raven swallowed audibly, but did not falter to continue backing away.
“I don't know what you're talking about.” She sought in her lungs to reply, “I'm not sure how I got here, but I know I didn't…”
Sure, sure, innocent till proven guilty, I've heard it all before He interrupted, a vague amount of impatience in his voice,
Still, that doesn't stop me from doing my job. Among everything else, I am a professional executor, dedicated to my work. There's no satisfaction greater than getting to terminate a human life…but you already know that…Don't you?
 
 
With a startling burst of speed, Hermes lunged forward, as if to seize her. Gasping, Raven leapt from the staircase, back into the depression, but when she gazed over her shoulder to see how much distance had been set between the ghost and herself, he was gone.
Breathing heavily, Raven begun to reproach the steps, her heartbeat ringing in her ears.
The courtyard was deserted. Nothing to indicate that Hermes, or anything else, had visited.
 
 
Her fears mildly assuaged, she wandered toward the statue. From such a locale, nearly the entire yard was visible. The rear walkway hardly prevailed past fifteen feet before giving way into the asylum's porch, where the establishment could, perhaps at one time, have been accessed through the back door. Now the arched doorframe had crumbled to the floor, amassing a large pile of rubble that eliminated any chance of entering whatsoever.
Both the left and right paths were dead ends that met their conclusion at the wall, raising the unavoidable question of why they were founded to begin with.
This accounted, there was only one available trail left. The northernmost walkway led into a pair of steel gate-doors, which exited the asylum altogether.
Seeing no further reason or desire to stay, Raven started for the exit as promptly as she noted it.
 
 
A rusted padlock rested at the foot of the doors, suggesting that at one time, the condemned asylum was actually kept secure. A yellowed piece of parchment was tucked underneath this, neat cursive scrawled across its surface.
Kneeling down, Raven seized it by a corner and pulled the paper out.
In the distinct penmanship of Doctor Killjoy, it read,
The prison is where you feel at home, Raven. But which prison? Abbot? Or the prison you have made for yourself? Return to the very cell you awoke in, and I shall present you with the full gauge of my findings. Go quickly. Time is our enemy.
 
 
Raven nearly stumble over upon reading the last half of the letter.
Abbot?!? She gasped, panic quickly consuming her voice, “I have to go back there?”
 
 
-End Chapter fifteen-
 
 
*Rambling*
 
For those of you whom thought the fourteenth chapter sucked/could use improvement, over the production of chapter sixteen, I'm going to be rewriting it.