Fan Fiction ❯ Get Back ❯ The Stand of Realities... Some Fantastic ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Don't own these things. In fact, if I did, I'd be several different people, including the genius that is Hirohiko Araki.

Get Back

By Iain R. Lewis

"JoJo was a man who thought he was a loner, but he knew it couldn't last..."

.

.

.

Issue 1: The Stand of Realities... Some Fantastic

"Some people say," the man told his master, "That universes exist beyond ours, and they tap into it through their subconscious. Every little piece of art and prose is a gateway into a new dimension."

"I see," the shadowy figure said. "And what do you want? Every man has their price, I know. Just name it and I can give it to you." The man was known simply by the name Dio. He was interviewing his newest recruit, looking into a history book. "Gold? Power?"

"Nothing so grand. All I want is the greatest library in the world," he said. "My Stand, Some Fantastic, will isolate the Joestars, and leave them to be easy pickings for your other assassins." Dio's book then was laying, closed and placed delicately, on the ground, and appearing behind the man suddenly, he leaned over his shoulder.

"Do you presume to be better than the 9 God Stands I've sent out after the Joestars?" he asked. "Do you honestly believe you can defeat them where others have failed?"

There was speaking, but no breath invaded his shoulder. It sent a chill down the man's shoulder nonetheless. "Not alone, of course not!"

"Good, good," Dio said, now in front of him, reading his book. He took a drink of what looked to be red wine. In everything but consistency. "Go along, now."

The Stand User hurried to the exit, unsure of what to make of the strange darkened hallways of the Egyptian manor.


Hol Horse was still in a great deal of pain. His last encounter with the Joestars had left him with a bullet through the face, and while it was bandaged up quite hastily, and he couldn't see out of one eye for the bandages, he was in a very large amount of pain. Reminiscent of that one time where that crazy Enya woman and her stand Justice left him with a large hole through his hand.

And yet, somehow, he managed to survive, and there was a very, incredibly simple reason for this.

Hol Horse was an incredible coward. That is why, when someone came, claiming to be sent from Dio, he rang the Nurse Call button like no tomorrow. He was not, no matter how powerful a man Dio may be, going to fight the Joestars again. Then another thought came to him. What if this man was sent as an assassin.

The nurses ignored his plight, and when a magazine was slipped through the bottom of the door, he looked at it as though it may be the harbinger of the apocalypse. As a man drew himself out of the pages, he screamed. "Someone, throw me out the window! Please!"

"Shush!" the man said, taking a foot out of the picture on the cover. "I've come for you, Hol Horse. Lord Dio recommended you as a worthy accomplice in my scheme to defeat the Joestars."

"You'll never take me alive!" Hol Horse screamed. "Emperor!" he screamed. The strange looking gun materialized in his hands and he pointed it at his head. "I'll do it, believe me! I'll do it!"

"Oh please," the man said, "The last time you shot yourself in the face you ended up here. My name is Gordon, and my Stand, Some Fantastic, will allow us complete victory. Listen to my plan, and I'm sure you'll agree."

"No way. I've had it easy so far, but did you hear what happened to Steely Dan? What about Midler, she wasn't looking none too pretty when they were fitting her for dentures. And they crushed poor Mariah. Hell, look what they did to Rubber Soul. Do you honestly expect me to go out there with your fancy plan to try and kill a man who's likely to look at me, go 'Yare yare daze' in that cool Japanese attitude and then punch me for ten minutes straight?" Hol Horse stared quite angrily through his one good eye. "No sir, this is one train this cowboy isn't riding."

"You'll get paid handsomely," Gordon said, remembering Dio's cryptic message.

There was a long pause, before, hesitantly, Hol Horse looked at Gordon and asked, "How handsomely?"

"My share of the reward."

"Okay," Hol Horse said, "What's the plan."

"This," Gordon said, holding up a comic book.

"This isn't one of those tell-the-future graphimaximo comic books is it?" Hol Horse asked, "Because I swear, if it is, I'll force this gun so far up your mouth, you'll be peeing bullets for years."

"No, it's just a perfectly normal comic book," he said, "Only with Some Fantastic!" The Stand appeared when called. It was definitely humanoid, but the robotic creature had, instead of a stomach, a compendium of books. Gordon placed the comic inside the shelf and closed it. "I can create gateways to other worlds, and with this we can separate the Joestars and leave them powerless in a world where Stands don't exist!"

"Okay, and your contingency plan is...?" Hol Horse asked. Gordon finally had enough.

"Just come on!"


The dog named Iggy was looking a little worse for wear after killing the murderous fowl called Petshop. He limped on one arm, and searched for the humans who had dared bring him to this city. He was looking for a little sympathy and maybe to torture the one with the tall hair. As he limped, he found himself being picked up in vaguely familiar arms, "Iggy, it's been a while." Iggy looked at the emerald outfit, and instantly recalled the man's name as Noriaki Kakyoin.

He made some whines. "Come on," Kakyoin said, "Let's find them."

The little puppy jumped from his hands and walked over to the gate of the mansion he had been lurching towards, and standing there was, indeed, four very different people. One, wearing clothes indigenous to Egypt, in the vaguest of sense, looked over at the dog. His name was Muhammad Abdul. He was a fortune teller gifted with the first Stand of the Tarot Arcana, Magician's Red. Like his own confidence, Magician's Red burned with an inextinguishable flame.

Besides him stood a Frenchman with a towering hairstyle. His Stand was Silver Chariot, fitting his chivalrous mannerisms. He looked at the puppy with a mixture of relief and irritation. The two of them shared a love-hate relationship. It started when Iggy was insulted by the Frenchman, and in revenge chewed his hair and released gas in his face. His name was Jean-Pierre Polnareff.

There was an older gentleman who bore a more than passing resemblance to Sean Connery. Dressed like an adventurer, he seemed the most comfortable with the travel despite his age, his body barely decaying due to his unique manner of breathing. He controlled the writhing vines of Hermit Purple, a Stand that worked on his greatest asset -- experience. Known as Jojo to his friends, Joseph Joestar had once saved the world from an evil named Kars, traveling the world fighting zombies, vampires, and Nazis. And now he acted as advisor to the young man that stood next to him, looking over with surprise at the unexpected visitor.

His name was Kujo Jotaro. He was Joseph's grandson. His Stand, the mysterious Aztecan Star Platinum reflected the strength that emanated from about him. He wore a violet version of Kakyoin's uniform, unbuttoned, and a hat that had seen far better days. They had been briefly schoolmates before Dio's return threatened the life of his mother.

Alongside Hierophant Green, Kakyoin's Stand, and The Fool, wielded by Iggy, these six were the only force powerful enough to stop the mad Dio Brando.

"Iggy!" Abdul called.

"Kakyoin," Jotaro said, his voice never changing an octave. "You're here."

Noriaki Kakyoin removed the glasses, showing the scars that ran down his eyes, "I couldn't let you go on alone, could I?" He replaced his shades, "My eyes may be damaged, but that won't stop me from helping you."

"Yare yare daze," Jotaro said, calmly, "Let's go."


Terrance T. D'Arby couldn't believe he had lost in the manner he had. Cheated by an old man and his grandson. Impossible. Of course, these thoughts were dulled by the sounds of the fists coming in contact with him and his stand Atum. "Ora ora ora!" the repeated cry echoed. He went flying. The skyline behind him shattered.

"A wall. So, something must be creating an illusion in here," Kakyoin noted. Jotaro remained quiet. "Jojo, what's the matter? You seem --"

He brought up his hand to silence Kakyoin, who took the hint. They had learned a system of trusting one another. After Rubber Soul replaced Kakyoin, Jotaro took it on himself to get to know the quiet artist a bit better. Especially after the close call. Rubber Soul had accurately impersonated him. The third member of their group wandered nearby, holding something. "Where did you get that?" Jotaro asked coldly.

"Found it on the floor. The New Teen Titans. Wolfman and Perez are geniuses. Did you two know I have Superman's first appearance in Action Comics at home. Prized possession. I read it so many times. Anyway," Joseph said, continuing right on, "Currently, they're dealing with this guy called Deathstroke the Terminator and--" Jotaro suddenly reacted, the Aztecan Star Platinum appearing out of nowhere.

"Stand User, somewhere," he said.

"Where?" Kakyoin asked, "I can't see anything in this illusion!" The humanoid robotic Some Fantastic emerged form the comic book, grabbing Joseph. "Mr. Joestar!"

"Gramps," Jotaro said. He tried to rest his grandfather from the grasp of Some Fantastic, but his Stand was only absorbed partly into the portal. "Yare yare daze." He couldn't remove his hand and he felt himself and the Stand being absorbed into the gate.

"We have to get him out!" Kakyoin called out the cantaloupe looking Hierophant Green. Its shiny green form separated into a cord, it tried to anchor Joseph and it was failing. The three of them were slowly pulled into the comic book. The door slammed shut on them as they were thrown into the book. Success.


Perhaps, Raven thought, it was an off day. The one day a year when everything had to go wrong. "I wasn't even supposed to be here today," Raven muttered. She hovered over the battlefield, bringing a engine from the junkyard over to throw at the rampaging goliath, Mammoth. It came down with a crashing force, sending him flying.

He recovered mid air, throwing the engine away at Beast Boy, who transformed to repel it. "That wasn't very nice!" he whined.

"Get used to it," Raven responded. She floated down towards him. "Take it like a man."

"But--"

"I'll handle him," Cyborg yelled, bringing his fist down on the ground, converting it into a sonic cannon. "Yo, ugly! Eat this!" The waves traveled through the ground, leading Robin to have to leap up into the air.

"Watch it Cyborg!"

Mammoth, however, wasn't so light on his feet and struggled to keep his balance. "What is this?" he howled.

"It is the end!" Starfire said, coming in with a powerful right hook. Mammoth was floored with relative ease, unable to block or even prepare for the extraordinary strength the Titan possessed. "Was that too much?"

"Nah," Robin laughed. "I think it was just enough."

"Another one bites the dust, yo!" Cyborg laughed. "This has been a busy day. Mumbo at breakfast, followed by Gizmo at lunch, a bank robbery at 1 PM, and then a series of robotic mayhem finished off by the loveable lug in time for dinner."

"I have a feeling," Raven muttered, "That it's too early to call it a day." She sighed, and almost on schedule, there was a spike somewhere, that affected her mind. She grasped at her head, trying to suspend this headache.

"Raven!" there was a general cry from the others, who rushed over to her.

"What's wrong?" Robin ventured, after a second.

"A lot of psychic feedback. In the immediate area. Enough to... I don't know. I've never felt this much," she said. It was a lie. She felt it often enough, she had enough of that in her to dwarf it. But she didn't want to upset anyone. Not yet anyway. "I don't know what caused it, but we'd better keep our guard up."

They looked around. There wasn't any sign of anything out of the ordinary. However, they didn't see what Raven had just sensed. She turned, looking straight down the street, past the entrance to the junkyard, across the traffic. A man looking quite disoriented had appeared almost without notice. It wasn't that he hadn't been there before, but he hadn't. "A man," she muttered, seemingly recognizing him. "Sean Connery? Now I know I need a vacation."

"Are you feeling okay?" they asked her. Raven looked at them cockeye.

"You didn't see him just appear?" Raven asked.

"No," Cyborg said, "Didn't see anyone just appear. And my scanners haven't picked up anything out of the ordinary." He laughed, "Maybe you need a vacation."

"Maybe," Raven said, looking on as the man walked down the sidewalk, unsure of where he was to go.


Slade monitored the Titans with interest, "Hm, the gothic one seems to be losing her mind. I could use that to my advantage, now, couldn't I? Terra!" As if on command, the blonde appeared, flying through the air looking battered and bruised. "Now who got in here. Terra, Terra, Terra, after all I taught you."

"It's not fair," Terra muttered, barely conscious, "He's got some invisible power source."

"Yare yare daze. Dare wa desu ka?" the man asked.

"It'd be better if we spoke English," Slade answered, "But to answer your question, my name is Slade Wilson. And you?"

"Kujo Jotaro," Jotaro answered, adjusting his cap. "Were you the one who dragged us into this world?" There was something nagging him about this person. Where had he seen him before, and what had gramps said about it.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Slade said. "Whatever you used to defeat my apprentice won't work against me. I'm much better trained. Your eyes react. You're preparing a strike. I don't know where it will come from, perhaps, but I have a good idea." Jotaro seemed unimpressed.

"A Stand," Jotaro said. Slade didn't react. His body remained calm and in control. He judged that he didn't know what a Stand was, or was a very good actor. "A psychic dragged us into a comic book. I presume that he's the source of all this."

"I, myself, possess no psychic abilities of my own. Though, if we are all parts of a psychic projection, how can we be trusted?" Slade asked. "The answer is this isn't a psychic projection. You've been carried across dimensions. You're in our world now, and if you want a way home --"

"I'll have to defeat the Stand User," Jotaro concluded. "I know already what must be done."

"Good boy," Slade said, "Now, I know of a psychic with strange powers. Perhaps she's somehow responsible." Jotaro seemed to consider. "What's wrong?"

"I also need to find my companions," Jotaro said. He idly thought that this must have been the most he'd spoken in a month. "Yare yare daze."

"Hm," Slade mused, "And where could they be but within the grips of the Titans. I won't say they're evil, but they're awfully close-minded about sides. They just don't seem to understand my side of the picture."

Something caused the hair on Jotaro's neck to stand straight. He was lying about something. "Hm."

"In fact, the psychic is one of them. Perhaps she's tricked them."

"Possible," Jotaro muttered. "Where are they?"


Noriaki Kakyoin was now beginning to understand how Jotaro must have felt when he first noticed his Stand surfacing. He sat in a jail cell, looking at the confused faces of the other prisoners. He had somehow managed to obtain a magazine, thanks to the amazing distance that his Stand could travel by unraveling into a tiny cord, and was now reading it. To the others, it looked as though the book had traveled across the ground and into his hand. "English, is it?" He was a studious sort, and his constant traveling gave him an edge in understanding the language. He eagerly read the magazine until he saw the door open.

"Okay, Mammoth, what did I say about jail breaks?" Robin said, laughing. Kakyoin looked over at the group. Such bizarre colors, he thought. "Do it again, and I think we'll have to hurt you seriously."

"Yes, friend Mammoth. We wouldn't wish for us to come to blows again, but the law is the law," Starfire said, floating. Kakyoin looked up. How was she flying about without a care in the world.

"Demo..." he said.

The strangest one, wrapped in a dark cloak, looked over at him. "What?"

"Can you please tell me why that girl can fly?" he asked. He put his magazine to the side. "Is she a--?"

"An alien?" Raven asked. "Yes." She looked over at the magazine. "How did you get that?"

"I bought it," Kakyoin said. He looked at her. "Are you the police?"

"No," Raven said, "We're just cooperating with them." She looked quite surprised, "You're quite erudite for someone locked in a cell. Are you a cannibal?" She smirked.

"Hello Clarisse." Kakyoin laughed. Raven, despite herself, smiled. "Well," he said. "I suppose that's because I'm only in here for disturbing the peace. I panicked, I'm afraid. Oh well. You don't have to be afraid. I don't bite. My name is Kakyoin" She walked closer to him. "If I told you why I panicked, I'd be locked in an asylum, I fear."

"Trust me, I've heard stories weirder."

"Not than this," Kakyoin warned.

"Try me."

"Can you see anything?" Kakyoin asked. Something emerged from his body, causing Raven to step back. "You can, can't you?"

"What is that?" Raven muttered, her hands beginning to pulsate with dark energy. "Are you possessed?"

"No," Kakyoin laughed, "This is my Stand. An imaginary friend, if you would. I've had him by my side since I was young. My parents were always busy, so I think I created him out of the need for companionship. My friends and I were on a quest when we were ambushed." He paused, "This might sound weird, but is this a comic book?"

"Unfortunately," Raven said, "We had some guys rewrite the comic. The last bunch let anyone write their adventures. It was really embarrassing."

"You have a comic book but you don't exist within it," he paused, "Perhaps it's the Author as Creator theory. Or Author as Medium. I'm not sure which, but it certainly would make sense. But how did Dio hire a man like that."

"Pardon?" Raven said. "I don't exactly like to come in at the middle of a conversation."

"Sorry," Kakyoin said. "But you don't exist, in the real sense, where I come from. You're comic book characters. I wish I could explain more, but Mr. Joestar is the comic book collector. He actually has the first known appearance of Superman. He was just telling me and--"

"He doesn't look like Sean Connery, does he?"

"Hm?" Kakyoin asked, looking for some idea of what part of Sean Connery Joseph resembled. Raven seemed to understand, trying to phrase it.

"White beard, a fedora, a glove on his right hand," Raven described.

"That's him! We were pulled inside a comic book he had found lying about by another one of these Stands."

"So, that would explain him just appearing out of nowhere," Raven said. "Excuse me." She walked towards the rest of her team. "I think there may be something wrong with reality," she told them. They looked at her cockeye.

"Is this like the time you thought the sky was falling?"

"No," Raven said, "That was Chicken Little. I'm, on the other hand, a real person as opposed to a fairy tale animal." She pointed towards Kakyoin. "That man over there said that he was pulled into a comic book about us."

"That sounds just a little weird," Cyborg said.

"And the little extra-dimensional version of Robin isn't weird?" Raven countered.

"That was definitely weirder," Robin muttered.

"Thank you, Robin," Raven said. "And that man who I said appeared out of nowhere did, just like him. Whoever did this to them is powerful enough to bridge dimensions, albeit, only by focusing on a possible link between them. This means we could all be in danger."

"Well, when you put it that way. The last time the dimensions got screwed with, I got my mouth stolen." Cyborg gave an approving thumbs up. "I'll help."

"Me too!" Beast Boy said.

"I'm in," Robin agreed, "Just show us what to do, Raven."

"Starfire?" Raven said, looking over at where Starfire was. She was now floating over by Kakyoin's cell.

"Hello, Mr. Kakyoin. Friend Raven has said that we will be helping you."

"That's very kind of her," Kakyoin said with a slight smile.

"We will be the most wondrous of friends, I do believe!" Starfire laughed. Kakyoin smiled and nodded in agreement. "Why do you wear those sunglasses inside? Isn't it difficult to see?" She looked at the scars that ran down his cheek.

"My eyes were severely damaged," he told her, "I almost thought I wouldn't be able to help my friends when it came time to kill Dio, but thankfully they've healed enough to let me see. The shades are to keep the sunlight out so my eyes can heal completely."

"Oh," Starfire said, softly, "I apologize for asking."

"No, it's no big deal," he said.

"Sorry," Robin said, "But Starfire's a bit new around here. My name's Robin. This is Cyborg, Beast Boy, and you already met Raven."

"So you are The New Teen Titans," Kakyoin said. "I've heard a lot about you."

"You have us at a disadvantage," Robin said, "We don't know anything about you."

"Wait," Beast Boy said, "Maybe he's from that game with the dog?"

"Nah," Cyborg said. "That's someone else."

"Oh," Beast Boy said. "So, who are you Kakyoin?"

"I'm the son of a rich family who went to school, briefly, with my friend JoJo. I was under the control of a man named Dio, who used these flesh spores to manipulate my brain. I nearly killed the school nurse and two punks before JoJo beat me and managed to remove the spore. If it weren't for him, I'd be dead by now." The horrified looks went unnoticed by Kakyoin, as he continued, "When JoJo's mother, Holly, developed a Stand and became ill, I joined him, along with Abdul and his grandfather, Mr. Joestar, to find and destroy Dio. We were inside the monster's mansion when I had been beaten in a racing video game by Terrance T. D'Arby and put inside a marionette. Following that, we'd just found out that the interior of the mansion was protected by an illusion when we were sucked into this world."

"Uh," Cyborg said, "That's, pardon the vernacular, whack, man."

"Trust me, I would never have vacationed in Cairo if I'd known I'd be dragged into this," Kakyoin said.


Joseph was unaware of his two younger traveling companions' meetings. In fact, he was looking in disbelief at the comic book stand in a store while carrying an unopened coca-cola bottle. Most people looked at him as if he were just a little bit strange, but he didn't notice. "So many colors," he murmured, "And such horrible covers. Huh, Hellboy." He looked it over, "Fancy coloring schemes."

"'scuze me," someone said, tapping his shoulder.

"Hm?" Joseph turned around and a young tattooed punk looked at him, "Sorry, what's with your face?"

"Don't you know that this is the latest thing?" the youth yelled. "You standing in my way." He took them from him, angrily. One of the pages ripped. "Move it gramps."

Joseph scowled. "Look what you did now. He frowned And now you're going to say 'You're going to get more torn up than that comic book!'"

"You're going to get more torn up -- than that...comic... book." He looked at Joseph.

"Next you'll say 'How did you know!'"

"How did you know!" he growled. "That's it!"

Joseph shook his head. "I don't think that's any way for a young man to speak to his elders." He frowned.

"F*@# you, old man!" Then he paused, "You guessed that too, didn't you?"

"'fraid so," Joseph said, consolingly. "You talk like a stock character from a bad movie." He smiled. "Let's say we call it a day."

"No way, old man." He loomed threateningly over the older gentleman.

"I was afraid you'd say that." He took his coca-cola bottle and the cap shot off, spraying coca-cola and blood all over the place as the young punk's nose was broken. He took a swig of the coke, "It's better than New Coke, at least." He smiled. "Let's just call it even, then." He walked to the counter with the torn comic and paid the cashier. "Sorry about that. I guess it was a bit fizzy."


The Titans returned to the tower with Kakyoin in tow. He looked quite relieved to be out of jail and became quiet, talking only when spoken to and giving quick but polite answers. Robin walked over to Starfire, and whispered, "He's a bit strange. What do you make of him."

"He is very gentlemanly," Starfire answered, "But I think he prefers to be alone."

"I guess that makes sense," Robin returned. He looked lost in thought. "It's just that I don't know if we can trust him completely, yet. His story sounds just a little too outlandish."

"He's telling the truth," Raven muttered. "I can see his Stand. It looks like a big cantaloupe with a body attached." Kakyoin just kept to himself, his shades shielding his eyes from them. "I don't know why, but I get the feeling this is was his way of rebelling. He talks about his parents as if they don't know he's even left home."

"He must be afraid," Starfire said. "Being away from home is not easy. He is not much older than I am." She added quietly. "I can relate."

The other Titans agreed, quietly, but none so vocally as Starfire. "Here we are," Cyborg announced. "Home sweet home. Defended by the top of the line in security, designed by yours truly."

"It's quite impressive," Kakyoin said, helpfully.

"Thanks. Now, open sesame." The doors began to open.

"Hope you enjoy your stay in the Titans Tower hotel. Please don't steal the towels, we only have a finite set," Beast Boy chimed in happily. "Also, don't open the fridge, seriously."

"That reminds me," Kakyoin said. "I wonder how Jean Pierre and Mr. Abdul are doing."


"Ugh," Jean Pierre whined, "These halls are so big. I don't think we're going to find anything in here at all!" The halls winded on endlessly to the point of them finding themselves literally retracing their own steps. "Abdul, let's just turn around."

"It will be night soon," Abdul reminded him. "We need to find Dio before then, or else he will be at full power."

"I would recommending listening to Frenchie there, partner," a familiar and irritating voice said. "Just turn right on around and you won't be hurt."

"Don't you ever give up?" Polnareff yelled. "First you try and kill us with the man with two right hands, then you nearly get killed by that poor old lady."

"You forgot the time I stuck my fingers up your nose," Hol Horse reminded. There was a minute's pause.

"We don't like to think about that one," Polnareff finally responded. "So now what do you want? What's your big plan this time, cowboy?" Hol Horse sniffed, aiming The Emperor at them. "Come on, try us."

"Right now your friends are locked away in this comic book," he pulled it out of his pocket, "And if you go right on along with your plan, I'll..." he produced a lighter, "Well, you do the math."

Polnareff laughed, "You surely jest. You would use fire against our friends? And what guarantee do we have that you're not bluffing? You're a very poor cards player, Mr. Cowboy." Silver Chariot emerged from Polnareff, "And all bets are off when I remove my Stand's armor." The armor flew off. "When its armor is removed, not even Star Platinum can keep up."

"What makes you think that you can beat me?"

"Me," Abdul said. The lighter shot open and the fires arched towards Hol. He dropped it, looking less than enthused. "Perhaps you've forgotten the nature of Magician's Red? Perhaps I should remind you." Iggy barked fiercely as The Fool generated itself from the sand. "And of course, Iggy here is more than happy to remind you of his Stand, The Fool."

"Knew I shouldn't have done this," Hol Horse muttered. "Hey! Get me out of here!" he yelled. The comic book dropped to the ground and opened itself up, Some Fantastic emerging from its recesses. Soon the Stand User was drawn inside as it snapped shut.

"What just happened," Polnareff asked. Iggy sniffed the book suspiciously. "Maybe we should hold onto it?" the Frenchman suggested, "Just in case he wasn't bluffing."

"Good idea," Abdul said. "We should probably store it someplace safe." Iggy barked at the comic book angrily. The Stand User was still hiding inside of it. He could tell.


It became rather noticeably late by the time anyone had seen Joseph again. He had been eating at a restaurant and overlooking a map of the city when there was his first real sign that this place was anything but normal. "Okay, everybody get down," said a punk wearing a Bismarkian helmet and wielding strange gun-like weapons, "Johnny Rancid's in the house, and he won't be happy until everyone gives them their finest, er, fineries. And that includes cash." Joseph didn't seem too perturbed by it. It wasn't everyday he saw someone with laser beams, but he figured he'd have to make do until he could figure out where in the city the Stand User could be hiding.

Johnny noticed that the man hadn't put his hands over his head and ducked under the table like the others and walked over to him and put the laser to his head. "Get down old man, it ain't worth losing your life over this," he warned. Johnny wasn't a psychic, so he couldn't possibly see the creeping vines that had appeared on Joseph's arm. It crawled up Rancid's arm slowly, wrapping around to his neck. "It ain't worth-- grrk!" The vines began to strangle Johnny.

"No, it isn't. Why don't you just go on home, Mr. Rancid. And learn to treat your elders with more respect." The vines loosened their grip.

"No way, man!" Johnny gasped, "You did that Darth Vader choking thingie."

"I guess I did," Joseph mulled, quietly, "Wonder what other Jedi tricks I can pull off."

"Don't hurt me man!" Johnny yelled, overly weirded out by the whole thing. The old man didn't even more a muscle. "Just... never mind this happening. Okay everyone? Get up! Hey!" one of the maitre'ds still refused to get up. "I said up!" He fired a warning shot at the waiter. "That's better. Okay. This never happened, so here's all your jewelry back, ma'am. Okay. I'm gone, got it? Not messing with old people again!"

Cyborg had been outside of the restaurant at this time and saw Rancid run out with his tail between his legs. "Okay, there's something you don't see everyday." He entered the restaurant and looked around. "Sean Connery?" he asked outloud.

"That's the twelfth time I've gotten that," Joseph said. He looked over him. A certain degree of disbelief settled over him. "Cyborg? Victor Stone Cyborg?"

"You know who I am?"

"Of course! I'm a big fan. I can relate entirely to having body parts replaced by robotic parts," he pulled off his glove, showing a bionic hand, "See? Lost it back in the 30s. Had a friend who had much more severe damage. He died in Stalingrad, though."

Cyborg didn't know what else to say but, "Was he Russian?"

"No, he was a Nazi soldier. Make no mistake, Hitler was a loon, but Stroiheim helped me out of a big fix." He smiled, "So this is what it's like to live inside a comic book. So, was that a super villain there?" He had a childlike enthusiasm about him. "I've been a comic book fan since I was a little boy."

"Well, Kakyoin told us you were," Cyborg said. "We've been looking all over for you, Mr. Joestar."

"So you've met Kakyoin, have you? Where is he?"

"At the Tower."

"Lucky bastard!" Joseph laughed. "And Jotaro?"

"I, uh, I don't know. We haven't found him." Cyborg opened up his communicator. "Yo, guys. Cyborg here. We found him. Gave Johnny Rancid a run for his money, too." He paused. Then he looked at Joseph, "You don't look like someone who was alive before World War II."

"Hamon magic," Joseph explained. "Inherited from my Grandfather."

"Oh," Cyborg said. He'd definitely heard weirder explanations. "Well, we'd better get you to the tower. We're going to get you home."


At the Tower, the music of Sting was prevalent in the air. Kakyoin sat, sketching quietly, in the main room, listening to a music CD he had found. Raven didn't figure him for the artistic type, but seeing him with pencil in hand, sketching away, it seemed quite right. He had a small wooden puppet that he moved into shape as he drew. She fought curiosity, but eventually succumbed, looking at what he was drawing.

It was her. He had drawn her in fantastic detail. The proportions seemed a bit strange, but it was overall quite flattering. "You're a very good artist," she murmured.

"Thank you," Kakyoin said. "It's been a while since I had a chance to practice. I feared I was going rusty. It hasn't been the most relaxing trip."

"It certainly doesn't sound like it." Raven sat next to Kakyoin. "What's it like?"

"Having a Stand? Nerve-wracking." Kakyoin grinned, "I've been replaced, mind-controlled, shrunk-down, and attacked in my sleep by a baby. It's a surprise if I'll be able to sleep soundly after Dio's defeated."

"Sounds exciting," she muttered. "Myself, I've had to deal with dorks in tights fighting bigger dorks in stupid costumes. It's nowhere near as dangerous." Kakyoin raised his eyebrow, his shades slipping down the bridge of his nose.

"So, dangerous is exciting? Your life sounds a lot more interesting than mine. I'd prefer to battle the colorful costumed sort than the secretive variety. And living here just sounds fantastic. For most of my life I've been shipped around from place to place."

"Is that why you're running away?" Raven asked, nonchalance personified.

"I suppose it is," Kakyoin said, after a spell, "Yes. I think so. But more than that, more than anything, I wanted to help Kujo-san. She's the sweetest woman I've ever met. When I saw her, I knew without a doubt that I would marry a woman like that. She helped tend to me when I was weakened from my fight with JoJo."

"Is that so?" Raven asked.

"What about you?" Kakyoin asked, "What's your story?"

"I'd rather not talk about it," she admitted. "It's really something personal."

"I understand," Kakyoin said. "I won't force you." Raven became quiet, and, comfortable in that, Kakyoin continued his sketch. "I'd be honored if you'd accept this picture."

"I -- " she paused, before saying, quietly. "Thank you." She stood up. "I'll be in my room if you need anything." She rose and left the room, leaving Kakyoin wondering what he had said to offend her. He wasn't allowed much time to think because seconds later there was a large crash downstairs. "The door?" The security system went off. He rose from his seat and hurried down to the ground floor. "JoJo!"

"Kakyoin?" there was a pause. "What's going on."

"I don't know," Kakyoin admitted. "I have a feeling Mr. Joestar would be much better at explaining the situation. I think we're in a world connected to ours by a comic book. Whether created by or already existing is up to debate. It's fantastical."

"I know," Jotaro said. "There's one here who's a psychic."

"Raven," Kakyoin answered. "She's no threat to us, and she's not a Stand User. I know it."

"Are you sure?" Jotaro asked. There was no response. "I'll believe you for now. However, for all we know, this may just be of the Stand's creation. Don't let your guard down, Kakyoin."

"I haven't. Hierophant Green is monitoring every floor." Jotaro looked down at the ground and the line of green that extended underfoot. "Trust me, JoJo. We're safe for now."

"Okay, what in the name of Football happened to my door now?" Cyborg yelled. "This is the third time this week!" He eyed the strange young punk, "You did this?"

"Jotaro, Kakyoin!" Joseph exclaimed, "Isn't this incredible. I just met Vic Stone."

"The others will be here soon," Cyborg said, "Is this your Grandson?" pointing to Jotaro. There was a nod. "Then tell him he better have a real good explanation for why he broke down the door."

"A man named Slade led me here on a lead. We're looking for a psychic who dragged us here."

"Slade knows about you?" Cyborg said.

"That's the Deathstroke guy I was telling you about," Joseph said, matter-of-factly. He still looked about ready to explode with excitement.

"We may be in a bigger heap of trouble than we first thought. Look, get in and we'll explain."


"He's in, Slade," Terra said. "They've accepted our little Trojan Horse." She looked a bit remorseful, "Is this really necessary?"

"Yes," Slade said. "What did I say about questioning me, Terra?"

"Not to, sir," she muttered. "I'm sorry. But he's just such a nice guy. He must have a girlfriend. Do you think he does?"

"It won't matter soon enough." He closed the communication. "Will this do?" he asked, Gordon appearing from the shadows.

"Perfect. I knew our alliance would work for both of us. You get rid of the Titans and I get rid of the Joestars." He smiled. "Lord Dio requested that I bring you this." It was a VHS tape. "He said he wanted to speak to his partner... face-to-face, as it were." Slade went to his console and found a video player. Putting it in, the image of a blonde haired man, facing away from the screen, presented itself.

Most notable was the star shaped birthmark on his back. "Ah, so you're my associate within this new world. I'm sure my servant has explained to you our situation and what you'll get out of the arrangement. To make sure nothing goes wrong, I have asked him to bring a weapon for you to use. Use it however you wish, and I assure you it will serve you well."

Gordon presented Slade with a stone arrow. "What's this?" Slade asked. He took it, examining the edge. To his surprise, it was quite sharp, and he found himself cutting his finger against it. "Hm, impressive." He sucked the blood from the wound. "Terra, I'm sending something along for you to use as you will. A gift of good-will from our new ally."


"Something's not right here," Robin said, upon returning from the search. "I mean, you say Slade led you here. He's not the kind to make mistakes. I think he's up to something." He looked quite anxious about the whole subject.

"You're really Dick Grayson, aren't you?" Joseph said, excitedly. "Ward of Bruce Wayne Dick Grayson?"

"My real name and identity are secret," he said, irritably. "For my and Batman's own good."

"I know who Batman is. Everyone does." Robin paled. "Well, no one here would, I guess. But where I come from, Bruce Wayne is as recognizable as that bat-shaped silhouette." Robin looked even paler "I'm a bit of a collector of comic books, I guess you could say. Detective Comics early stuff was really good."

"Gramps, let it go," Jotaro said. "What do you think this Slade would gain from this."

"I don't know," Robin answered. "I don't completely understand how his brain works."

"Slade had once taken Robin as his apprentice," Starfire explained. "It was a most troubling time." Kakyoin nodded, in understanding.

"That never happened in the comic book," Joseph said, indignantly.

"Gramps," Jotaro said, "This isn't a comic book. We merely ended up in a world that echoes the comic book."

"More accurately, the comic book of this world is the one that is mirrored where we come from," Kakyoin explained. "A lot of details were changed anyway. For example, It's 1988 where we come from, so that date is more prominent than whatever year it is here."

"You're from the 80s?" Beast Boy asked. "Huh, no wonder you wear such stupid get-ups."

"Yare yare daze," Jotaro muttered. "You're worse than Polnareff."

"Now now, Grandson," Joseph cut in, "No one's worse than Polnareff." He laughed. "Speaking of which. I hope he's doing okay."

"Abdul's there to keep him in line," Kakyoin said, "And I know that Iggy's strong enough to protect him from the worst Dio can throw at him."

"That reminds me," Cyborg said, "Who is Dio, really?"

"And why does he want to kill you?" Robin continued. "I don't mean to be rude, but besides saving Holly, you haven't given us many reasons behind any of this."

Joseph sighed, sobering up immediately. "Let me tell you the story of a young English boy named Jonathan."

To Be Continued >>

A/N: A majority of the characters in JoJo are named after Rock and Roll musicians. Here's a brief list of references that were made this episode. Besides Gordon/Some Fantastic, they're all by Hirohiko Araki.

JoJo - The song Get Back by the Beatles.

Jean Pierre Polnareff - French Musician of the same name. Possibly Michel Polnareff, as well.

Dio Brando - Rocking like... Ronnie James Dio

Iggy - Iggy Pop, of course

Mohammad Abdul - Paula Abdul, strangely enough.

Hol Horse - 80s group Full Force.

Rubber Soul - Beatles Album

Middler - Bette Middler

Steely Dan - The rock group of the same name

(Gordon is an album by Barenaked Ladies, and Some Fantastic is a song by them)