Fan Fiction ❯ Harry Potter and the Forgotten Prophesy ❯ New Beginning ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: This is my first ever Harry Potter fanfic so go easy on me guys! Review and tell me what you think!

Disclaimer: All characters, settings, items, etc. are J. K. Rowlings. I do not own anything here but the plot. Don't sue, 'cause I know I own nothing and I'm broke too.

Chapter 1: New Beginning



A girl around the age of seventeen was sitting on her bed, looking out an open window. It was dusk, and the stars were just beginning to show up against the western sky. The expression on her face was near impossible to read, but it was evident that she was deep in thought. She withdrew her gaze from the night sky and picked up a newspaper that was casually laying on her bed. The paper was the London Times, and the article on the front was titled, 'Mark and Death Connection Made' in big, bold black letters with a picture below. Technically it was two pictures, each taking up half of the page, with the article below them. One of them was of a man laying on a road side, clearly dead. The other, was of a skull floating in the air with a snake coming out of it's mouth. As she read the article for what must have been the tenth time that day, she still showed little emotion on her face. ' It would seem, says London Times reporter Jack Nicholson, that there is a connection between the deaths that have been occurring as of late, with the ominous skull that has often been seen floating in the sky. This connection has been made, because every time the skull-snake have been spotted, there is a recent death close by. So far, no one had been able to explain what exactly this skull-snake symbol, or how it somehow magically stays up in the sky. Specialist can not clarify what it is even made of, let alone tell us how it stays up. When this reporter asked our Prime Minister about his opinion on the subject, he had this to say. 'The government is doing all it can to find out who is behind theses murders and is trying to put a stop to them. We ask the public to stay calm and to not do anything risky in these dangerous times. No, we also can not explain the skull-snake, but we are trying to get to the bottom of that too.' From the lack of help our government is being, and the terror that there is already, it is no wonder that these times are so crazy and dangerous. One would think that if our government cannot do anything for us, new representatives should be found who can.'

She sighed and put the newspaper back down on her bed. None of it made sense. The police were at a total lose to who was responsible for all the killings, and they were far from finding out what was really going on. The whole skull-snake thing made no sense to her either. This wasn't the only time that this had happened in history either. About 16 years ago, the same kinds of weird things were happening everywhere. It wasn't just the deaths that we odd and abnormal. Strange things were happening all over the place. Unexplainable nature disasters, bridges and buildings collapsing without any legitimate reason, and all kinds of weird things... Like the weather for one. It wasn't summer weather, even thought it was August. She sighed again, trying to make some sense of everything, but the harder she tried, the more she just got a headache.

The door to her room suddenly opened causing her to jump.

"Alegria dinner is ready dear."

"Alright Martha, I'll be right down thanks."

Martha left the room and Alegria sat there still, thinking again. Her expression was becoming more and more grim the more she thought. But if her wore gray tunic couldn't take away from her striking looks, it was doubtful that a grim expression would. She had long blonde hair that went to her mid back and radiantly bright green eyes. When she was standing she was about 5'8 in height, moderately skinny, and she had a pretty face.

It's because of all this chaos that my parents are dead. I know that it is. Their deaths were not an accident....It was a murder, and if it's the last thing I do I am going to put all of this mess together. I will figure out who killed them, and I will revenge their deaths.

Without shutting her window she went down to the kitchen so she wouldn't be late for dinner.

It was hard to say what made Alegria hate this place most. The main reason was of course because her parents had died only a year ago, and being thrown into an orphanage would make anyone bitter. None of her relatives were willing to take her in, so until she was 18 she was stuck here.

The previous year in November, her parents died in what was classified as a horrible 'accident'. One night when Alegria was at a friends house for the night, her house was destroyed, and the bodies of her parents were never found. The police said that it must have been a gas explosion, but that didn't explain what really happened to Alegrias parents. No one really knew what happened, but Alegria was determined to find out.

Dinner at the orphanage went on as usually. There was a lot of noise, little kids yelling and fighting and food flying everywhere. When Alegria returned to her room, ready to call it a night, she found a letter laying on her bed. Wondering how it got there, but just assuming that Martha put it there, she picked it up and opened the yellowish envelope. She pulled out the letter and read:

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry ~~~ Headmistress: Minerva McGonagall (Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorceress, International Confederation of Wizards)

Dear Miss Carter,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted

at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please

find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

We are sorry for the loss of your parents, but would love

to have you at our school. Term begins on September 1.

We await your owl by no latter then July 31.

Yours sincerely,

Filius Flitwick

Deputy Headmaster

Alegrias heart was pounding as she slowly sat down on her bed. Hogwarts? Your owl? How did they know about her parents? What was all this nonsense? After a minutes she reasoned with herself that it must have been one of the kids there playing a joke on her. It would be there idea of funny to give her a fake letter telling her she had been accepted at a school of 'magic'. Of all the crazy ideas they could have come up with, this one was by far the weirdest. Magically school....honestly.

Suddenly someone knocked one her door and entered without waiting for a reply. It was Martha again.

"Oh good. I was just checking on you to make sure you got your letter."

"Yes I did, and honestly I'm surprised at you. Normally you try to stop the children from playing silly pranks like this." Alegria said waving the letter.

"Pranks? I'm afraid I don't know what you are talking about my dear."

"It's ok Martha. Jokes over, you can stop playing."

".......Could I perhaps see that letter?"

"Sure......It's not important really. Complete load of baloney, even for the kids standards."

She handed it to Martha and watched as her face went from curious, to concerned.

"Oh no...." she said softly.

"Martha what is going on here? I would love it if you would just tell me."

"I was afraid this was going to happen, but I didn't know when to expect it." Martha said sitting down next to Alegria on the bed.

"You were afraid they were going to play a prank on me? Then why did you deliver the letter? I would love if you would fill me in here."

"This isn't a prank Alegria. The children know nothing of this letter and I would love it if things stayed that way."

"Wait wait wait....you can't honestly expect me to believe that there really is some school called 'Hogwarts' that has accepted me. A school of magic? That's the silliest thing I have ever heard."

"Well, I suggest you prepare yourself dear. There is a lot that I need to tell you, and you have to promise that you listen to everything I have to say before you decided what you are going to believe."

Thoroughly doubting that she was going to believe a word of this, Alegria folded her arms and waited for Martha to start talking.

"I guess the best place for me to start is at the beginning. Ok magic has always existed in our world, the only people who know of it are usually the witches and wizards themselves, and rarely, the nonmagical person like myself. Your parents knew about magic, because your father was a wizard a long time ago. When he married your mother, who thought the very idea of magic was evil, he gave it all up and decided to live a normal life. Now he had gone to a school called Hogwarts that takes in new students when they are 11 years old. You received a letter when you were 11, but you were never told about it. Your father tried to convince your mother to let you choose for yourself if you wanted to go or not. She absolutely refused to even consider the matter. Your mother wanted to protect you. She said that the world of magic was to dangerous and did not want you involved in any way."

Alegria made every sign of interrupting just then, but Martha continued on, ignoring her.

"The headmaster of the school at the time, Albus Dumbledore, was not giving up that easily. He wanted to have you at his school. He told your parents that her knew you had strong magically potential, and wanted to develop that. Well, that only convinced your mother all the more. The headmaster would not stop sending you letters though. Many times I am told, you almost read the letter. You probably remember this....They were all addressed to you and you found it quite unfair that you couldn't read your own letter. After a few days of this, your mother became completely fed up, and wrote the headmaster. She told him that she would never allow you to go to the school, and to stop sending the letters. I believe she said, 'Alegria will go to that school over my dead body.' Well, your father also wrote the headmaster and told him that he wanted you to become a witch. He said that if anything was to ever happen to him and his wife, that Dumbledore should make sure that you were taken care of....and that you became a witch. It would seem, that that is exactly what is happening. Since your parents are dead, they are trying again to get you to be a witch."

Silence filled the room when Martha was done, and Alegria did not know what to think. Part of her wanted to laugh, but this all seemed to serious. This had to be a joke though. There was no way that magic was real.....She had a million questions, and wanted to get them all out.

"You said that the headmaster of this school was some man named Dumbledore. If that is the case, then how come my letter said the headmistress was Minerva McGonagall?"

"I'm afraid that the first question you asked me, is one I cannot answer. I do not know. I was not informed of a change in heads, but I guess there has been one."

"Do you know who really killed my parents? It seems like you know more about them then I do."

"Alegria, you know all the weird things that have been happening lately? All the deaths and such?"

"Of course, how could someone not know about that."

"Well, they are not random acts. They are all being done by one person. Honestly I do not know what his name his....Everyone have talked to from the magical world calls him You-Know-Who. Apparently him and his followers are the cause of all the chaos that has been happening."

"That snake-skull thingy....."

"That's his mark. He puts it into the sky after he kills someone."

Alegria was still half in shock, trying to put together everything she was hearing.

"Honestly Martha, this is the biggest load of nonsense I have ever heard....And do you know is the weirdest thing? All of it makes sense....it ties everything together and explains what has been going one lately."

".....So what are you going to do?"

"Well, if people start going to this school at 11, and I'm 17, I am obviously way way behind. So I don't really want to start school now. On the other hand, if becoming involved with this world of magic is the way to find out who killed my parents, of course I want to. I think I'm going to write this McGonagall and get some more answers.....Oh and that brings me to another question, what the heck does 'we await your owl' mean?"

"Oh well that's how witches and wizard communicate with each other." Martha replied as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "I have an owl if you want to use her to reply."

"Uh sure, thanks Martha."