Fan Fiction ❯ Harry Potter and the Hero of Time ❯ The Wedding ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 2: The Wedding

The day of the wedding dawned clear and bright all over Hyrule. So far, everything was going perfectly, without any hitch or problem to complicate and delay things. The band, led by Guru-Guru of Kakariko Windmill and his gramophone, had hired carpenters to build a stage on the lawns of the castle. The missing boy Grog, last seen in the Lost Woods, had reappeared to help his sister Anju with her Cuccos. Malon and Talon of Lon-Lon Ranch had managed to make Ingo, their drunkard farmhand, sober enough to attend.

The Gorons had used some quality stone to make statues of the bride and groom. Their chieftain, Big Brother Darunia, and his son Link, had put them up to it. Princess Ruto had con­vinced her father and the Zora to provide some fine fish for the wedding reception. The royal chefs had outdone themselves this time, creating a seven-layer wedding cake with white frosting and the bride and groom in miniature on top. Everything was perfect, but the food, well, that was beyond mere words of any mortal.

Link waited restlessly in an anteroom of the castle for the ceremonies to begin. Darunia was his best man, and Malon and Saria were the bridesmaids. His ordinary Kokiri Tunic had been traded in today for a formal, pale blue tunic with black trim. Something didn't feel right, Link thought, but he wondered what it could be. He was suddenly startled by a blue fairy that flew through the open window with the Master Sword levitating behind her.

"Navi," Link shouted with glee. "Where have you been, old friend?"

"Guarding the Master Sword for a while," the fairy responded. "I thought you might need it sometime soon, Link. I have my suspicions, but I didn't want to spoil your wedding day with bad news, at least not yet."

"Whatever this bad news is, Navi, it can wait until this evening. Having you here makes everything feel better, and now this wedding will go through as it should." Navi apparently blushed (she turned deep blue) and went to her place at Link's shoulder. Just then, a page knocked on the door.

"Come in," Link said. The page stepped in and bowed deeply to the hero.

"The delegates and ambassadors from Termina wish to speak with you before the ceremo­nies begin, milord."

"Termina, eh? Well, page, send them in, please."

"Very good, sir." The page stepped out of the room to let the guests into the chamber. The first two to enter were a tall, strapping man with purple hair with his red-haired wife.

"Is that you, Kafei," Link asked the purple-haired man, shocked. "It can't have been more than two years, four months in Termina since we met."

"Guilty as charged, old friend," Kafei said with a broad grin. "Anju and I thought we'd visit Hyrule sometime, and this seemed to be the perfect opportunity. Let me guess; you're get­ting married to Princess Zelda today?"

"Correct, old friend. I'm glad you could make it today. How is Clock Town, and your families?"

"Clock Town is a growing city, what with the baby boom we've had lately. We've had to build a few houses over the stores, but nothing in North Clock Town. Jim and his Bombers said that the kids have to play somewhere. My father is doing fine, and there have been no strange goings-on since the last time. Mom always seems to have her hands full, giving dad some well-deserved time off when he needs it."

"And what about your family, Anju?"

"Granny is still telling those extremely boring stories to anybody who listens, and mother is managing the inn well without me. My friends Cremia and Romani brought a few bottles of Chateau Romani to the wedding. You certainly gave the Gorman brothers quite a scare when you beat them off that one time, and they've stopped their thieving ways."

"Well, I'm glad Cremia and Romani are happy. I'll have to introduce you and the other ambassadors to everyone after the ceremony. Until then, I would suggest you get settled on the lawn and wait for the service to begin." Anju and Kafei clapped Link on the shoulder and left the room, allowing the next three people to walk inside. One was a Deku Scrub about half as tall as Link was when he was a child. The second was a Goron with a necklace of sapphires around his neck and wearing a green loincloth. The third man was a Zora with a green loincloth whose head-fin had a green end.

"I never thought I would see you three again," Link said. "How did you three come back to life?"

"My dad," said the Deku Scrub. "He's the royal butler of the Deku Scrubs, you know, and he found me turned into a tree below Clock Tower. He cried when he found me turned into a tree, and his tears moved the Woodfall Giant to pity. I was transformed back to normal and awoke in my father's arms."

"I was lying in my tomb," said Darmani, "dead, when suddenly I woke up. All of the Gorons were extremely pleased to see me, and we arrived just in time for the second day of the carnival. That son of the Elder Goron is a fine strapping young Goron and growing like a new volcano."

"I had a similar experience," said Mikau. "I was guarding my memorial when suddenly I was playing my guitar in the Milk Bar, fully alive. Lulu and I raised her kids and they now know everything I do. The band will be performing today and then taking some well-deserved time for a little R&R. Is that Princess Ruto of yours available?"

"Is she available? Mikau, you could probably get her to go on a date with you in a heart­beat, for Nayru's sake! Ruto and I used to be engaged, but we broke it off when she realized we couldn't have kids. She needs a Zora shoulder to cry on, and I think you'll do that job perfectly, especially if you find a way to impress her with combat skills."

"Thanks a bunch, Link. If you'll excuse us, we need to get going and find our peoples." The three left, leaving Link to deal with a very confused Navi.

"Link, who were all those people?"

"Navi, after I left you in the Temple of Time seven years ago, I had a few adventures look­ing for you. On one of them, just three months later, I met those people in a country called Termina. I also used another fairy on that adventure. Her name was Tatl, and she helped me de­feat a monster called Majora's Mask to save her Skull Kid friend. You two really ought to get to­gether sometime and have a fairy-to-fairy chat."

Before Navi could respond to that, Darunia entered the room and gave his Sworn Brother a glass of water. Link took the glass and gulped it down slowly.

"Thanks a lot, Brother. Is everything ready to begin?"

"Yeah, and I'll be here in case you faint or anything during the ceremony." Link gave Da­runia a shaky smile and walked out of the room and onto the lawn of the castle. He marched over to the altar to tremendous applause and stood next to the King.

"Are you nervous," asked Rauru, the Sage of Light, an old cleric and friend to the royal family.

"A little, Rauru," admitted Link. "I just want to get this over with so the butterflies in my stomach can fly away." By that time, Rauru had taken his place as minister behind the altar. Malsio, the Happy Mask Salesman, was playing "Here Comes the Bride" on an organ he brought all the way from the Clock Tower in Termina. Link looked down the aisle and saw Princess Zelda with her face veiled and wearing a white dress. Malon and Saria did well holding up the train, and they looked fine in their dresses of white and green silk.

Princess Zelda soon came to the altar and stood near Link with her face bowed.

"Esteemed guests, loyal friends, and loving family," Rauru began. "We are gathered here today to join the two people you see before you in holy wedlock before the three goddesses. The grace of Din, the love of Nayru, and the courage of Farore be with you all."

"And also with you," the congregation responded in the tradition.

"Let us pray," continued Rauru. "Great goddesses, our creators and healers, as you blessed our ancestors with the presence of the Triforce, so by its presence now bring joy into this wedding. Look favorably upon Hero Link and Ruzantaze Zelda and grant that they, celebrating all your gifts, may at length celebrate with you the marriage feast which has no end."

There was a great Shai tairas (Hylian for `so be it', the literal meaning of Amen), and the ceremony began in earnest. A minstrel sang the tale of Link's defeat of Ganondorf, nothing new to most of the people there. Kafei, Anju, and the rest of the Terminian delegation, though, lis­tened intently. Afterwards, Rauru said a few more words, something like this:

"The goddesses in their goodness created us male and female, and by the gift of marriage they founded Hyrulian community in a joy that begins now and comes to perfection in heaven. Because of Drakan the Corrupter and his induced rebellion, the joy of marriage may be shadowed and the gift of family become a burden. But because Nayru, who established marriage, continues to bless it with her abundant and ever-present support, we can survive through weariness and have joy restored. Hero Link and Ruzantaze Zelda, you have come before the goddesses and your fellow mortals to join yourselves in the bond of holy wedlock. If you are resolved in this action, you should exchange your vows now."

Link took out a Sun's Mask from the folds of his tunic and Zelda took a moon's mask from her veil. Anju and Kafei were pleasantly surprised that their old friend would remember their wedding. The masks touched, and then turned into a Couple's Mask after a blinding flash of light. Rauru turned the page from the Hyrulian Book of Worship and said these words.

"By this exchange of tokens, you have proven your love. However, the goddesses must be certain that you are not going to back out of this. Link, Hero of Time, do you take Ruzantaze Zelda to be your wife, to have and to hold, to cherish and to keep, in sickness and in health, till death do you part?"

"I do," said Link.

"Princess Ruzantaze Zelda," said Rauru, turning slightly. "Do you take Hero Link to be your husband, to have and to hold, to cherish and to keep, in sickness and in health, till death do you part?"

"I do," said Zelda.

"You may now kiss the bride," said Rauru, grinning. Link grinned and removed the veil from Zelda's face, bending down over her mouth. They kissed, and the cloud applauded tremen­dously, throwing hats into the air. Princess Zelda then took a bouquet of flowers and threw it into the audience. As on Earth, whoever catches the bouquet thrown by the bride is the next person to get married after the bride and groom. To everyone's surprise and delight, Princess Ruto and Malon caught the bouquet together!

"Well, ladies, it looks like you'll both get married on the same day," said Link with a grin. "I hope you find people who care about you as much as I care about Zelda." Just then, a fe­rocious wind began to howl around the castle grounds and down into Hyrule Castle Town. Sev­eral Moblins charged into the gardens, brandishing their spears and causing general havoc. The royal guards hit some of the creatures with crossbow bolts, and Link finished the rest off with his Longshot.

"I don't like this," said Zelda as she held on to Link and shuddered slightly. "I mean, dur­ing my masquerade as Sheik I saw those things at the Sacred Forest Meadow, but never any­where near here."

"That means one thing," said Link, his frown deepening. "Ganondorf has managed to es­cape his seal in the Evil Realm. That means there are now two copies of this century's evil Gerudo Dragmire on the loose in mortal lands. Let me guess, Navi-this is the bad news you were going to warn me about later on?"

"Yes, Link," said the fairy with a sigh.

"I had a dream about this last night," said Zelda. "And everyone knows that my dreams are prophecies and warnings after that last time." Just then, a hooded figure in black robes ap­peared on the edge of the battle scene. Soon, there were twenty-eight of those chilling figures, and all of them had the Gerudo star-and-moon crest on their robes in the form of a red badge.

"The cult of Ganondorf," said Nabooru with contempt. "I hate these sons-of-Twinrova al­most as much as their master."

"You watch your mouth," said one of the cultists, pulling a Gerudo scimitar from under­neath the cloaks. "You think that Hyrule is safe, but you do not know anything about what Lord Ganondorf can do. He is the Dragmire, and he will wreak his vengeance on his enemies until you all bow before him as slaves! Until then, we will make his castle ready for him to occupy it for the whole of the Seven Ages!" The cultists moved to circle the castle, knocking guards uncon­scious when they felt like it.

"Elzium muthos Ganondorfus Alkromar fosin," chanted the head cultist in a deep voice. The rest of the evil figures began chanting it as they emitted strands of black magic from their hands at the castle. The towers began to look darker, turning from fine marble and granite to ugly basalt and scoria. The castle moat began turning into molten lava and the pit below began to open when a white shaft of lightning hit the head of the cult. Link traced the shaft of lightning back to its source and saw a man standing on the gate built into the path to the castle.

"Nobody will bring back Ganon's Castle while I'm around," said the man. "Link, if you would zap these losers with Light Arrows, please?" Link complied, drinking some Blue Potion when he ran low on magical energy reserves, until each of the cultists was trapped in a shaft of yellow light. "Thank you, and, now, I will deal with these creatures as befits their foul kind." The man took out a crystal phial from a pocket and uncorked it. The castle returned to normal as the cultists turned into black mist streaked with red and flew, shrieking, into the phial.

"Who are you, and how do you know my name?"

"Oh yes, I'd forgotten; we haven't met before, according to your memory. Yet, accord­ing to mine, we are old friends, so there has to be some sort of time travel involved here. Well then, Link, if you want answers, I would suggest you come with me. Also requested are the Prin­cess Zelda, the Six Sages, the Indigo-go's, Darmani, the son of the Deku butler, Guru-Guru the Sheikah, Malon of Lon-Lon Ranch, Mido the Kokiri, and Link of the Gorons. We depart from the Temple of Time within the hour." The man threw a jewel onto the ground and vanished without a trace, in the manner of the Sheikahs.

"I have a feeling this is not the honeymoon we'd planned," said Zelda. Link nodded and then hurried to his quarters at the castle to change and pack. It looked like their honeymoon would have to be delayed a while.

Useful Notes: Any text called out as Hylian is created using the rules for the Hylian Language detailed at the website entitled Kasuto's Zelda Realm. It's quite good, and has a great reservoir of fanfics. It is proper form to capitalize the names of the distinctly Hyrulian races when writing in Earth-languages that have capital letters-Hylians rather than `hylians,' and so on. The cult­ists' incantation is just nonsense I made up to provide a weird incantation.