Fan Fiction ❯ Harry Potter and the Hero of Time ❯ Mido proves his worth ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 9-Mido proves his worth

The entrance hall of the temple was not a pleasant place. It was decorated with statues of Drakan that seemed to be following their every move. The only way out was a doorway straight ahead, carrying with it a nasty smell Gollum knew quite well, since he and Shelob were accomplices in a failed plan to claim the Ring. Spiders always seemed to smell very badly to anyone who cared, especially if they were giants like Acromantula.

"According to some spy work," reported Alzeroth. "Drakan has modeled each level of the temple after one dungeon or other important place from the worlds of Hyrule, Termina, and your version of Earth. This floor is modeled after the dungeon Inside the Deku Tree. The chamber ahead is the lair of Queen Gohma, a distant cousin of such giant spiders as Aragog and Shelob. She does look rather unusual, but she is rather weak and should pose little trouble. Mido, I should think you are a good shot with the Fairy Slingshot."

"The best in Kokiri Forest," said the small man. "Let's just say that since Link left, I've been keeping my eye out for anyone that doesn't feel right, like those Moblins that interrupted things earlier today."
"Very well. Inside the chamber, you will find several Deku Nuts and regenerating clumps of wild grass for any other items you need. If you need potion or a bottled fairy, do not hesitate to ask."

"Link did this without any of those things and I won't need them either." Mido strode up to the door and stepped through it after it rose automatically. He had the Kokiri Sword ready and was very careful. After the door shut, the platform in front of the door rose up and shifted sideways, leading onto an observation deck above the arena. The arena was separated from the observation deck by an impervious layer of magic-infused glass. This glass prevented any attack magical or mundane from penetrating the observation deck.

"I really hate spiders," Ron said. "If they are dead, then I can stand them, but not when they are alive and bigger than an elephant."

"That anyone can understand except Hagrid," William said. "He sees fluffy pets in what sensible people call monsters and would like nothing more than to have a dragon as a pet. Thankfully, common sense and the legal system will prevent that. And no, before you ask, I have heard nothing about the Norwegian Ridgeback that you sent to Charlie some years ago." Everyone hushed as a commentator began commentating on the match.

"This is some match in the making," said the voice. "On the side of the Elsewhere Liberation Army, we have Mido of the Kokiri, all the way from Hyrule. The favorite for this match is Queen Gohma, an experienced arachnid who also hails from Hyrule. All we need to wait for is the descent of Queen Gohma and the match will begin." A huge orange eye snapped open at this and Queen Gohma descended. Her armored exoskeleton protected everything except her huge eye, blending her into the murky surroundings of the arena.

"The first contestant to either dissolve into smoke or fall unconscious loses. No potions shall be permitted, and any foul language will result in bad marks from the judges. Begin!" A bell sounded and the battle began in earnest. Mido did the smart thing and chucked a Deku Nut onto the ground, blinding Gohma and stunning her.

"I say," shouted the commentator. "Mido has just used a Deku Nut stun grenade to incapacitate Queen Gohma temporarily. Will the young lad make use of this time to injure her vulnerable spot?" The question became moot as Mido slashed at the eye seven times before the arachnid recovered. She scurried up the walls and then perched right over the center of the arena, her egg sac sticking downward.

Mido seemed to notice this and tried to shoot her eye before the eggs could emerge. He was too late, as three pale gray eggs soon landed on the ground. Mido waited and then struck quickly at each Gohma Larva before it could pounce on him. His fairy, Mildew, flashed between yellow and his usual green so fast it was tough to follow.

"What do those color changes mean," Harry asked.

"When a fairy turns yellow," said Navi. "He or she is ready to provide advice on the monster. A green aura means that the fairy has hints to provide or points out something interesting, like where a song might work. A blue fairy means that you can talk to a person or check a nearby sign."

"Hush will you," said Sirius. "The match is back on." The Animagus was right, as Mido had dispatched the Gohma Larvae and shot a Deku Seed into Queen Gohma's single eye. Three more quick jabs with the Kokiri Sword caused the arachnid to rear back. She collapsed back onto the floor and began to fall apart, dissolving into a cloud of harmless blue-white smoke and two items. One was a Heart Container, and the other was the key to the next floor.

For those unfamiliar with Hyrule, we offer this explanation of Heart Containers. They represent the strength of the person who fights in battles. The more Heart Containers you have, the more resistant you are to physical injury and death, making one more of a threat to fiends like Ganondorf. When Link first began his adventures, he had three Heart Containers, but gained thirty-four more such items in the course of his travels. Seventeen of these came from his adventures in Ocarina of Time, and the other seventeen from Termina in Majora's Mask. Mido had three Heart Containers, and reached four Heart Containers when he touched that item.

"And this battle goes to Mido," shouted the commentator. "The judges award him points as follows based on speed, bravery, and ingenuity. For speed, twelve points out of thirteen. For bravery, thirteen points out of thirteen. For ingenuity, Mido earns thirteen points out of thirteen. He looks promising, and the next two contenders will have to do better to defeat him. Will Big Brother Darunia and Mido please follow the ramp up to the next floor at this time? All others are to go up the stairs on the right at this time."

Everyone followed their instructions and took their routes up to the next floor. The second floor arena was square, with a large pit of lava occupying much of the space. Mido and Darunia arose together, right in the path of a large, gray-skinned dinosaur with a green patch on his back.

"The next battle is a tag-team battle involving Mido and King Darunia against King Dodongo. We know Gorons are strong, but is the Kokiri leader also powerful enough to lift the heavy Bomb Flower? Round two begins now!" Mido watched the dinosaur for any weakness and rolled out of the way when it breathed fire. Darunia dodged the attack by rolling at top speed over the lava pit, emerging on the other side unharmed while Mido ran around the edge to parallel King Dodongo. Mido tried chucking Deku Nuts onto the ground, but they did little besides infuriate the dinosaur.

Suddenly, Darunia pulled a Goron Bracelet from his arm and gave it to the little man. Mido lifted a Bomb Flower and chucked it with all his might straight into the mouth of King Dodongo. The dinosaur collapsed, allowing Mido to slash its face once. The crowd below, mainly Moblins and dementors, booed this turn of events, unwilling to lose any money. After no more than one minute, Mido had delivered four blows to King Dodongo, mortally wounding the monster. King Dodongo bounced off the wall and cooked in the lava pit, a Heart Container and key materializing nearby.

"Well, Mido now looks like he is ready to deal with our strongest fighter from Hyrule. Mikau of the Indigo-go's and Mido are to follow the blue arrows up to the final stage. Mido and King Darunia received eighty points out of eighty for their teamwork, speed, bravery, and ingenuity." The entire viewing area rose into an octagonal arena that looked like it came from the flesh of a gigantic fish. Mido picked up a boomerang and Mikau readied his two elbow-fins to fire. The lights dimmed as several gigantic jellyfish hovered in the air of the chamber. They attached to the body of a bioelectric anemone as the lights brightened.

"Barinade is not exactly easy," said Link. "Luckily, Mido is stubborn and he has Mikau there for backup, so they should win easily." The round began, and Mido chucked the boomerang at the tendrils connecting Barinade to the wired ceiling of the arena. After a few shots made more difficult by the antennae spewing lightning, the tendrils went limp and Barinade activated. Five of the jellyfish plates began spinning around the main body, protected by chains of electricity. When the chains turned off, Mikau and Mido took out two of the jellyfish.

In the next round, they stunned Barinade through the spinning jellyfish and destroyed three more armor plates. When Barinade activated its remaining set of armor plates, it began moving, making the battle more dangerous. Mikau stunned Barinade and then Mido slashed it, destroying one of its armor plates with each slash. Another minute later, Barinade was totally defenseless. With some Zora martial arts and a few slashes from the Kokiri sword, Barinade exploded and left behind a Heart Container.

"And that ends this exciting three-round match. Mido, the underdog, aided by Darunia and Mikau, has triumphed over his opponents without a scratch! The grand prize is an encyclopedia of animals and plants from all over the magical universe. The royal coffers of Hyrule shall also receive three thousand Rupees in gratitude for providing two fine warriors. The Clock Town Bank shall receive fifteen hundred Rupees in honor of Mikau and the Indigo-go's. Will the delegation from Earth please ascend the stairs to the chess chamber above?"