Fan Fiction ❯ Lies & Love &Fate ❯ The Change ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

As Katara began to clip on her necklace once again around her neck, Sokka crawled out of his sleeping bag and walked towards her. He stopped halfway there and tilted his head to the side and stared at the girl. Who was that by the stream? He thought. He looked at the girl's hair. It was auburn, red, and black. He looked at the girl's clothes and his eyes widened. “Katara? What did you do to your hair?” He ran up to her and grabbed her shoulders in anger. He yanked her up to her feet and turned her around to face him. Her eyes were closed and tears were streaming down her cheeks.
 
“Don't look at me, Sokka!” She covered her eyes with her hands. She could only imagine his disgusted face when he saw her almost half golden eyes.
 
Sokka let go of her shoulders when he saw her tears. A thought came to him,
It's happening.
No, It can't be happening.
Yes it is.
No, it's not supposed to happen till she turns 15.
She almost is 15. Tomorrow, remember?
No…it's too soon.
You knew it was going to come.
I knew it was going to come.
 
Sokka gulped and reached towards one of Katara's hands that were covering her face. “K-Katara, let me see.” It sounded more like a question than a command. He knew what lay underneath. His mother had told him to prepare for this, to be there for Katara when the time came. He said it again, this time as a command. Katara slowly pulled her hands away and fluttered her eyes open. She looked down to the ground. Sokka put his hand under her chin and lifted her face up to him. He stared at her eyes in shock. They were just how he'd expected. Blue and gold, just the way he'd pictured it when his mother told him how this was going to happen. He hesitated and said, “Katara. I know what is going on. But I'm not the one who should tell you.”
 
Katara's eyes went wide. “You mean, you know what's happening? Tell me. Tell me!”
 
Sokka shut his eyes for a moment. “I can't be the one to tell you.”
 
Katara stared at him for a moment. Finally she whispered out, “Then who? Who can explain this to me? What's happening?”
 
Sokka whispered out one word. “Dad.” His voice got more confident. “Dad is the only one who can tell you what's really going on. And I know where to find him.”
 
Katara smiled. “You know where dad is? I thought he was at war. Oh Sokka, why didn't you tell me you knew where he was? Are we near his troops?”
 
Sokka frowned and said, “That's not your father. He was a fake, put there so you wouldn't know the truth. Well…he's my father, but not yours.” She was about to talk and her eyes went wide. He put a finger up to his mouth, “Shhh. Not with Aang here. We'll discuss this tomorrow. We leave after your birthday.” Your 15th birthday, he thought to himself. Katara paused and then nodded. She didn't want to wake, or scare, Aang. This was the first day he'd actually gotten almost a full day of sleep. Sokka stood up straighter and walked back to camp, “I'm hungry, Katara! Get me some food.” Katara smiled but it quickly faded away as she began to understand what was happening. Was her father a firebender?