Fan Fiction ❯ Lord of the Wild ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

"I say there should be an accident." One of the dwarves was saying in a gruff voice. "He should fall in a river and drown or something, that way none of the animals can blame us for his death."

"We can't just kill Kini in cold blood like that!" Willow protested.

Kini felt all the blood drain from his face at that pronouncement. What had he done to make them hate him like this?

"I don't want it either Wil, I was really starting to like the kid before this whole mess started. But what else can he do? He could single handedly wipe out every person on this planet." Rore said bluntly.

"I don't like leaving him here either." Willow said. "I don't care what you all think, I don't believe Kini would do that. Remember how he came back from whatever had a hold of him last time?"

Kini slowly closed his eyes, feeling everything start to shatter around him. When he opened them, his sight was covered in a dull green film. Dimly he heard the horses around him start to get restless.

"Can these horses understand us?" Questirna sounded nervous more than anything else.

"I doubt it." DarkMist said in her soft voice. "The only reason they understand Kinirchar when he talks is because of his powers."

"Well let's get going before something goes wrong." The dwarf spoke up again.

Kini felt his connection to the world start to dissolve and the green in his vision increased as he heard the sound of the stall doors opening.

"I'm not going." Willow said shortly. "I'm not going to leave Kini here like this. You don't understand how afraid he is not knowing what is happening."

There was silence for a moment before Gale spoke up. "You would go back on your duty?"

There was no time for Willow to answer that, as Kweli suddenly sneezed.

Kini blinked down at the dragon in his arms, noticing that Kweli and himself didn't have that green tinge, and looked perfectly normal. The door to the stall was yanked open, and Kini leaned his head to the side as Marmalade bared her teeth at Rore.

"The animals may not have understood you, but he sure did." Willow said acidly. "And yes. I would abandon my duty right now, because you aren't deserving of my loyalty right now." He pushed past Rore, disturbing Kini's abstract study of how she emitted a dull red light. Willow had red light as well, but the light was streaked with green. "Are you alright Kini?" Willow asked, dropping to his knees in front of Kini and brushing the teenagers hair out of glowing green eyes.

"I am fine." Kini said hollowly, staring straight ahead unblinkingly.

Kini felt Kweli squirm in his arms, and slowly shifted his gaze down to look at the dragonet. He had never really noticed Kweli's eyes before. They were solid silver, with tiny specks of purple swirling through them. His hand traced over dark purple scales, the color of the sky just before dawn, and he felt himself falling into that swirling gaze. Seconds before everything went black, Kini imagined a boy smiling at him. The boy was very young, only two of three years old, and had the same eyes as Kweli, and his hair was the same shade as the dragonet's scales.

Then he slumped back against Marmalade's side, and Kweli cooed softly at Willow, looking quite pleased with himself.