Fan Fiction ❯ Love: The Gift of Those Who Find It ❯ The Gossip, The Attack and The Chosen Manservant ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Two:

~*~

"Get outta my way!" A brash young man named Salin yelled, shoving Link to the side unceremoniously. Link let out a small sound of alarm and lurched a bit until he caught his proper footing and whirled to see Salin and a small group of other young men laughing at him.

"You're such a fairy boy, Linkie," the arrogant eldest son of the Kakariko village elder chuckled. Such a fool, Link thought in annoyance. This was the most popular young man among all of the girls in the village? It sometimes got passed the handsome young man with blonde hair how he had become so…

Link's eyes narrowed in slight irritation but he did not act upon it. Instead, he chose the mature way out and turned back to his path and tried to catch up with some others who were at the front of their traveling group.

"Link dear, why don't you cut some firewood?" An imitation of an old, cackling voice called out to him. Link went rigid and felt fire building in his chest. He cleared his throat but then started to walk on again, his fists clenched tightly in an attempt to keep his temper at bay. "Link dear, didn't you hear me?"

At this, the young man with long blonde hair, turned and glared at Salin and his cronies, his teeth clenched a bit. "Leave. Her. Out of this," he growled, his sapphire eyes honing in on the leader of the pack with disgust and slight hurt.

"Oh HO!" Salin roared in mock surprise, lifting his hands up in the air as if he was surrendering to something unseen. His group of friends did the same. "Look out, men. It seems that little Linkie-Poo is preparing to fight!"

Link shook his head and calmed, trying to convince himself that the best thing to do at the present was to just walk away and avoid any blood confrontations. Just keep walking. Ignore the idiot, Link told himself as he relaxed his angered and tensed muscles the best that he could. To his luck, the guard that was leading the troupe of young men from Kakariko Village turned his horse around and stopped in front of them.

"We will rest here and make camp. We will continue the trip tomorrow," he said in a booming voice and dismounted from his steed. He started to prepare his own camp, as did everyone else.

Link laid out the bedroll and removed his hat, placing it next to his boots, which he removed next. He sighed and propped himself up on his elbows, gazing at the steady fire that one of his companions had stoked in the middle of the camp. As he was sitting and relaxing under the sun setting sky, he over heard some rather vulgar conversation topics coming from the direction in which Salin and his comrades were stationed.

"Do you think she'll choose you, Salin?" Rori asked. He was a rather short boy but he was seventeen and could hold his own in a fight. Salin let out a rather voluptuously extended laugh and ran a hand smoothly through his short brown tresses.

"Of course she'll choose me, you idiot. I've got enough charm and good looks to win her over in the decision making stakes," The arrogant young man replied. Link rolled his eyes and let out a sigh as he continued to over hear their conversation.

"And y'know, when I've got the princess alone, you know what I'm going to do?" Salin asked, lowering his voice a bit as his eyes darkened.

"What?" all of his cronies asked at the same time.

"I'll take full advantage of the innocent, shapely-" He traced out a feminine figure in the air with his hands, "Princess of Hyrule and I'll make her scream. I'll make her howl…"

Link's eyes widened and his head turned in Salin's direction briefly in shock. He was going to fondle her and then rape her? Couldn't he get in trouble for that? If he abuses the princess then I think he SHOULD get in trouble for it, Link thought as he sat up completely.

"I wonder if she's got plenty where she should?" Salin added, gesturing to his chest, cupping the air where `breasts' should have been. Link had heard just about enough of the slander and lusting talk of the princess and stood up swiftly, distancing himself from the camp a little bit, staring up at the now black enveloped sky. The stars were just starting to appear and the night air was taking on the chill it normally did.

Link ran his hands through his shoulder length dirty blonde hair and closed his eyes as he relaxed as he inhaled the clean scent of the night. This is going to be very difficult, Link thought to himself as he walked along a bit, his eyes lifting to see the sparkle of a lake in the distance and a ranch house. I really hope Salin does not get chosen. The poor princess…

Link was jerked from his brooding suddenly when he heard some cries of young men and a purely beastly snarl. He whirled to see Salin running away with his group of friends after him and the rest of the young men trying to rouse the guard from his sleep.

"He's not waking up!" Karl shrieked and started to flee after Salin and friends only to be chased by the beast. Link's eyes widened when he got a look at the creature. If it hadn't been so fearsome and deadly, he would have thought it beautiful.

It was standing proudly and its head came up to his chest. Its golden coat shimmered against the faint moonlight and its body was tensed for hunting. Its large mouth was revealing large, sharp fangs as it growled at the remaining young men. Its black eyes were harsh and cold.

Link didn't need to think twice as he went to rescue his friends. The large, golden beast that resembled a very large dog or wolf saw this and threatened to leap after him. Out of the corner of his sapphire eye, Link saw Salin returning with a large stick in hand, comrades following in suit.

"Let's kill it!" The nasty, lusting young man roared and drove his large stick into the fire, pulling out a very deadly looking torch as he threatened to gouge the large beast with it. But, surprisingly the beast started to whimper and backed off a bit. Link and his friends noticed this and their eyes softened a bit.

"Do you think he was trying to protect his territory?" Karl asked in a soft voice, looking up to meet Link's thoughtful gaze. He nodded.

"But, I don't think Salin and his troupe were smart enough to realize this," Link replied and dove in front of the large canine beast. Everything grew silent. All that could be heard was the heavy breathing of the dog beast behind him and the crackling of the fire from the torches that the mob headed by Salin were holding.

"Link. Get the hell out of the way," The arrogant young man snarled, motioning with his torch in a threatening way. Link shook his head strongly, his eyes going back to look the beautiful, golden coated creature behind him. Feeling afraid, it snarled at him when he stuck out his hand very slowly. Link's eyes widened and he tried to pull his hand away but it was too late. It had all ready pierced his flesh by the time he had had time to draw his hand back to his chest in pain.

"See? It's dangerous! It's trying to kill you, you fool!" Salin shouted at Link, who was still clutching his bleeding hand against his chest. "Let's be done with it!"

"No!" Link roared, stepping up strongly. "This creature is only trying to protect its territory! What if it has pups to go home to or a mate to protect?" He snapped, looking to all of the young men who were making up the mob.

Rori lowered his torch and swallowed, looking up to his leader. "He… He may be right, you know," He whispered, pulling away from the group to go and stand by Link. "No hard feelings for before, right?" he asked very softly to the young man who was protecting the beast who had just bitten him deeply.

Salin's eyes widened when he saw the rest of his followers bleed over to where Link was standing, defending the creature. He was extremely baffled! Since when had Link become so popular?

"But… That thing'll kill us if we don't stop it!" He shouted to his own defense but no one was listening. His eyes widened and he dropped his torch as well. Salin crossed his arms in a pouting manner and returned to his bedroll all by himself, watching with malicious thoughts as Link turned to look at the monster.

"You can go now. We won't hurt you," Link said softly, pointing off into the distance. The creature looked all around, feeling slightly cornered but then growled softly in its throat and bounded off in the direction that Link had pointed. Cheering was heard and the young man who had been raised by an old woman was hefted onto the shoulders of the young men of Kakariko Village.

As the night progressed, all attention was on Link and he could not figure out why. "All I did was tell the creature to go away very politely. It's not that big of an occurrence…" He told the young men as they bandaged his hand.

"Oh, you're just being modest," Lonlon told him as he tied the cloth strips tightly around Link's palm in a secure bow. Link didn't mind the attention he was being given but he wasn't being consumed by it like Salin always had been.

That bastard, the arrogant young man whose attention and followers had been stripped from him thought. How DARE he take MY friends and MY decisions away from me! He finished, fury and jealousy burning deep within his gut. I had better become the princess's servant just to show those stupid boys that I'm the top young man around here…

**

The creature that Link had defended did not return at all during the night and all of the young men finally settled down to get some sleep. All save for one.

I know, Salin thought to himself as he squinted in the direction of the slowly rising sun. If I ever see that beast again or any of its counterparts, I'll drag out an epic battle and become the hero of my followers now. His gaze drifted over to where Link was lying, sleeping peacefully with his hand wrapped. Bile rose in his throat as he scowled.

Why does he always get the attention? He mused in jealousy, starting a bit when the cry of a cuckoo was heard from the ranch off in the distance, signifying the dawn of a new day. All of the young men from Kakariko Village began to stir and wake up and as they did so, they started to clear their camp by rolling up their bedding and belongings.

The guard began to stir from his deep, deep sleep and he got up, rolling up his belongings as well. He looked around for anything unnatural, completely unaware of the vicious visitor that had threatened the camp and then shrugged, loading his things onto the back of his horse.

"Men," He called out, gathering all of their attentions. "Are you ready to proceed now to the castle of Hyrule?"

As a group, the eligible young men answered yes, but Link himself was not so sure of this feat. His eyes often darted back to look Salin over, his words from the night previous not leaving his mind. Disgusting, Link thought as he was brought back to reality when Karl flicked him on the nose and told him to stop daydreaming.

**

Blurry images surrounded the princess as she sat up hazily in bed, shoving a curtain of thick blonde hair out of her face. Her head ached and she felt like she had eaten a feast before bed. There was a horrible, irony taste in her mouth also… Did I… Oh no… I probably did… She thought to herself in slight anxiety as she looked herself over but then let out a sigh of relief.

"Princess Zelda?" came a knock on the door. Zelda gasped from the sudden distraction and glared angrily at the door.

"What?" she snapped, none to kindly.

"Impa has requested that you bathe and dress, for the young men should be arriving in a matter of hours," the servant replied.

Well you can tell Impa that I am TIRED of all of these young men! Zelda snarled in her mind, getting up swiftly, wrapping her elegant robe around her shoulders and tying it tightly around her waist. She exited her room swiftly, storming down the long corridor until she came to the bathing chambers. There, she started to cleanse herself, all of her muscles sore.

Damn this, Zelda thought to herself as she tried to get the awful, bloody taste out of her mouth, not knowing where it had come from in the first place.

**

"Would you look at that? It is even bigger here than it looks in the distance…" Rori muttered to Link, pointing to all of the marvelous decorations and stone statues that were surrounding the castle of Hyrule. The castle itself was a masterpiece, built in elegant stone, surrounded by lush greenery. It nearly took Link's breath away.

The guard who was leading their troupe turned and halted them again; looking them all over before he said, "Form a single file line please."

Obeying the instruction, Link filed in between Rori and Karl but Salin, being the arrogant and spoiled young man that he was, raced towards the front to be the first to go in and see the princess.

That is very typical, Link thought to himself, rolling his eyes as Salin proclaimed that the rest of the young men who had come along would not be needed for he would be chosen by the Princess.

The group of young men from Kakariko Village was led inside by the guard who had at this time, dismounted from his steed and parked it with one of the guards who were outside on patrol. Link took a deep breath as they entered the castle, wondering what his fate would be after this encounter.

**

"Damn it, Impa. Why have they not arrived yet? I would like to get this thoroughly over with and done through!" Zelda demanded, flopping back in her chair, crossing her delicate arms over her chest.

"Watch your language, child," Impa reprimanded and watched as the young woman shrunk back in her chair a bit, looking slightly guilty. "I have just gotten word that they are now here, so, sit up straight."

"So they are here?" Zelda asked, her eyes narrowing. Hm… Whoever the first boy is, I'm going to make him wish that he had NEVER come here…

**

The young men were led down a long extended corridor that seemed to stretch for miles at a time. Finally, the guard stopped them and they all peered over one another's shoulder's to see what was inside the room.

"It's Zelda! In the flesh!" Karl whispered, a nervous sweat breaking out on his forehead. "She's… she's beautiful…"

"I can't see her from here," Link hissed in response, trying to see past the shoulders that were blocking his view. After a while, he shrugged and decided he would wait. If he made it to the room where Zelda was stationed, fine. If not, oh well!

"Bring in the first," came a sweet sounding, yet powerful feminine voice. Salin bowed to all of the young men who were from Kakariko and then entered the room with an arrogant swagger in his step. Everyone else, who was now waiting, peered through the doorway to see how the overconfident Salin would do. Link chose to listen because he could not find any way to see.

"What is your name," came the feminine voice again, yet it sounded bored and somewhat harsher than it had just moments before.

"Salin, Princess," was his response and he looked up and winked at her, a leering and wanting look in his eyes. Zelda percepted this and snorted, standing up. She smiled down at him, sweetly and innocently; her violet eyes flashing before her sweet look transformed into a fierce and angry predatory gaze.

"You dare to look at me like that and gesture at me so? You lecherous FIEND!" Zelda roared and called for her guards. "Get this man out of here. He is NEVER allowed to return!"

Salin was aghast as he was manually dragged out of the castle of Hyrule and thrown down a lush green hill. Curse you, you stupid princess! He thought angrily, his stomach feeling like he was going to vomit because of the huge blow that the Princess of Hyrule had dealt out to his pride only moments ago.

**

Time passed slowly after this; soon, the line had gotten to Karl. He swallowed and looked back to Link who looked up to see a faint, but not very clear image of Princess Zelda. She looked modestly fair from what he could see and to give his friend support, he nudged him along by the shoulder very lightly.

Karl stumbled into the room and bowed deeply, his shoulders trembling.

"What is your name and why are you cowering like a small boy?" Zelda asked, eying him in bewilderment. All of the other young men who had come had been lusting after her. She could see it in their eyes and could hear it in their voices. She did not appreciate it. But now, this young man was trembling so…

"M-my name is Karl… Princess… And I have n-never witnessed such beauty and splendor b-before my eyes… I believe I should leave… I don't think I would want to spoil your regality with my presence… You are far to noble and beautiful…" Karl said softly, looking up ever so slightly before his gaze fell to the ground again.

Zelda felt a pang of guilt in her chest and awe, as she looked the young man named Karl over. He was being genuinely honest! He really felt that way! Well he should, Zelda thought but knew it wasn't right. Perhaps I need to be… compassionate… She cringed inwardly but brushed it aside as she got up from her seat at her throne and reached out to touch his shoulder. Karl jumped and backed away from her extended hand and gasped, wondering if she had really touched him.

"Karl, you don't need to feel this way. If you feel you are disgracing me then by all means go, but I must tell you honestly, you are not," Zelda told him softly, her voice not harboring any emotion as she stood slowly and gracefully strode back to her elegant seat and sat down.

Karl looked up, his eyes shining and he smiled and nodded. "Y-yes, your highness…" He bowed and then stood up and turned. "Thank you," he added over his shoulder and Zelda groaned as he left her sight.

Great! She had been thanked. Wonderful… As if I am supposed to care for these crawling men… she thought to herself as she summoned the next `boy' into the room.

Link heard this and swallowed, entering the room with an unmoving posture as he held himself with confidence and bowed at her feet. "Your highness," he said softly, removing the hat that grandmother had made.

Zelda felt a bit of warmth rise in her cheeks at this young man's appearance. Muscles rippled beneath the brown, worn tunic he was wearing and his dirty blonde hair was hanging at his shoulders. His voice sounded very sweet also… Gods… What am I thinking? Zelda berated herself as she cleared her throat.

"What is your name, young man?" The Princess of Hyrule demanded, sitting up more so in her chair so as to hide the boredom she was experiencing.

"Link, Princess Zelda," He replied, his tenor voice sounding calming and serene.

Curious to know what his face looked like, Zelda ordered him to look up at her. Blue eyes… Deep blue eyes… she thought, getting lost in their depths. A strong nose and chin… He is very handsome…

What the Princess did not know what Link was observing her as she was him. She is truly beautiful… He thought, looking over her slender shapely form, his mind unconsciously going to what Salin had said about her breasts and instantly, his eyes were drawn there for a split second. When he realized where his eyes had gone, he quickly averted them and looked to the ground. Yes… She definitely has enough there… he thought, fighting the blush that was about to stain his cheeks.

"Link, was it?" Zelda asked, sounding a bit intrigued with him. Link looked up slowly, unable to look into her face, but nodded. "Tell me, Link. If you became my servant, would you fall in love with me?"

Link was taken aback by her foreword and pointing question but he composed himself quickly. "That would be hard to say, Princess. The ways of the heart are a hard thing to predict."

Not a bad response, Zelda mused to herself. Most of the other men had said they would and then a few said they would kiss her and make her fall in love with them. There is a very slim chance… she finished, her gaze going to the young man who was amusing her at the moment.

"Do you work hard, Link? Will you do what you are told to do?" Zelda asked, sensing that this boy was an honest one. "Would you kill someone if they were threatening me?"

Link looked up and met Zelda's gaze, their eyes catching each other's. "If there could be no way of avoiding it, your highness. Everything deserves a chance to defend itself and everything has a story," he answered her. At this time, Zelda saw a few images flash through her head of things that she did not remember.

Blood running into her mouth… Running away from something…

"Are you all right?" Link asked, breaking her from her thoughts.

"Yes, yes, I'm fine," she snapped bitterly in response, her gaze going to the bandage around his hand.

"Where did you get that?" She asked with curiosity, reaching out to hold his hand. Link gave it to her in a trusting manner, hoping she would not condemn him for it. She looked it over and then looked him over in his entirety again and then let his hand drop back to his side.

"I… I tried to protect a creature who was being attacked at the camp yesterday but… it bit me," he replied, bowing briefly.

"Guards," Zelda called out, her eyes never leaving the young man before her. She pushed a lock of her hair out of her eyes and her gaze flicked to the guards who had answered her call. "You may tell the other young men to return to their village," she told them. "I have found my manservant."

(A/N: Sorry for the late update! EEEP! I'm so booked right now! I've got mini-band camps and driver's ed 2 to worry about! Today's the last day for them both. The next update should be in a couple of days. If you want to know my updating schedule at all times, check my profile. I update it every day. Well, gotta go! Some people are going to kill me if I don't update my Anastasia fic!)