Fan Fiction ❯ Lunar Phoenix ❯ Then There Were Creatures ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The sun began to rise, just visible through the stormy clouds. A radiant shaft of light pierced the dark masses, striking directly into the demon's reddish eyes.

Zyenon squinted, flying all night and day without sleep or food wasn't easy. And getting blinded with such a fierce ray of light so early in the morn was not enjoyable.

As the hawk demon's feet touched the rock-strewn hillside she let out a foul string of curses.

But she had yet to discover what real pain was, because as soon as Zyenon tried to fold her exhausted wings, her muscles screamed their protest. Though the youkai persisted and, with much wincing, finally closed them.

Zyenon then jumped into a nearby elm tree that had been stripped bare by the terrible conditions. The branch she decided on creaked slightly as she settled down then grew silent. As the tired eyelids drooped down the branch gave way, sending the poor demon to the ground in a heap.

And birds flew, fast as possible, away from the unspeakable swears that leaped into the sky. Then it began to rain.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

A black-striped, deep blue feather floated away on a bewitched blast of wind. As it rapidly blew with the wind, it crossed over a giant of a forest. If one looked closely you might be able to glimpse a green clad figure performing various fighting techniques.

But the wind took no notice and the view soon lost, the eager wind servant hurried along to its master's beckon, taking the small feather with it. Carrying it through the cloudless blue skies, ever higher until it finally began to descend upon an uproar.

At the center of the pandemonium was a large multi colored tent with many different titles and events printed upon it. All around a massive wave of humans roared out their outrage at what they believed was money wasted. Then the wind came fuming in blowing away loose hair strands from infant faces, playfully seeking mischief.

The people soon became silent as they watched the dance of the wind that was controlled so easily by the sorceress' fan.

Brynella stood by, moving her fan in patterns, and watching. She quietly sighed and wished that she could stay in that place forever. And yet she knew that she would have to find the monk's killer first, only then would she have peace in her own mind.

As she watched, a small feather came in with the breeze, and then as it fell to the ground a cloth wrapped foot smashed it into the earth.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Lightening flashed and thunder crashed, as the heavy rain continued pouring. Slitted eyes twinkled merrily as they thought of past events, their light shining through the darkness of the cave.

The canine demon's fingers busily twiddled away with the sharp blade, working the wood expertly.

A form soon began to emerge from the gnarled wood, a slim kimono-wearing figure. Long hair began to flow over small shoulders, hands gripped an unforeseen weapon.

A smirk spread across feminine features; strangely it was filled with something akin to cold contempt.

Aynaken wondered what this lovely lady was doing, and what or who she hated so.

Presently the dawn slid over the land, and as it did, curses rang out in a feminine voice. Ten minutes later more oaths were screamed into the cloudy sky, over the valley of Del Monstia.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

A woman stood, gazing at the reflection in the strange waters. She wondered what she was doing out in this remote place, her, a stranger to such beauty.

Azami began to turn when she heard the snap of a twig from across the lake. She quickly turned around and found she was facing an imp.

The imp looked down at her and spoke.

"What are you doing at my lake, what are you?"

The human pulled out her deep purple blade, getting ready to either run or fight. As she stood tensed for the imp's next move, the imp began to grin.

"You are here to give me treasure, that you are."

Azami nodded, thinking that the imp was either delirious or insane.

The imp stared at the girl; waiting for the info she thought was coming.

Azami gulped a breath of fresh air, *Better make my move.*

The woman started to open her mouth, then, quick as lightening, stabbed her sword forward.

The imp seemed to melt into the surrounding earth, simply sliding in.

Azami watched helplessly, she now knew what this imp could really do. The other female was a water imp, able to make illusions and control water. If she made one wrong step Azami would be swallowed by the water of the lake.

The imp emerged from the still waters, on the other side of Azami. A large grin plastered on her face.

"You cannot kill the water, that you can't."

The human quickly thought of an idea.

"Excuse my manners, dear water imp. I am called Azami Takeshita." she said while making a formal bow.

The imp thought for a moment then bowed back.

"That is good, Azami. I am Peril of the lake Lacarca, that I am."

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

The wind blew gusts of snow into even the smallest of cracks. The land was entirely coated with harsh bright snow. Snow stung unprotected flesh with its icy cold fingers and beat upon the small huts.

The villagers living in the small mountain village were not worried about the weather, nor were they worried about running out of fruits or vegetables. But meats had been scarce since the goats and elk of the mountain had traveled farther south. No one would dare go out into the cold for fear of the creature that preyed upon villagers that went too far from home.

The elders of the village say that a seductive female Raaj first lures away her victims by performing various sexual dances. Then when they are far enough away for the Raaj's pleasure she rips off their flesh and sews it into her patch work of skins. She uses the bones for needles and the veins for thread. And whatever is leftover is given to her pets, the giant birds of the mountain.

This gruesome tail is the reason no person has ever been more then five miles outside of the village. The villagers depend on the mountain to give them what they need, because they are much too frightened to travel down the mountain to trade or buy goods.

Sadly not all families get enough food to last for their household.

Fifteen year old Sugi was out to gather what little she could find in the blinding snow to feed her small brothers and sisters. She got to find out what was really behind the tale when the creature attacked her.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Cold, fresh mist clung to the unusual tree branches. A green clad figure stood on the upper most bough of the dark evergreen, not weighing the bough down even a fraction, and blending perfectly. Other than her dark orange hair that was always out of place in the woodlands.

Her eyes surveyed the lush growth surrounding her on all sides, greenish black eyes missing nothing. It was an empty land; nothing important ever happened on this small island.

The impen female leaped to the ground without a sound. She made sure no one was around and began to run towards the colorful carnival she had looked upon from a distance.

Gellroug moved with grace and stealth, never leaving anything to chance. When she heard the cheering of a crowd she instinctively stopped. The forest imp had always been wary of people, preferring the solitude of the woods to the odd creatures.

But a gentle wind seemed to push her towards the scene of wonder that everyone was so mesmerized by.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

A figure crept through the humid swamp. It was filled with decaying plants, strange colored water, and a slime that sucked in everything that came near. There were clumps of feathers and bones where the swamp spit out the parts of animals it didn't want. And even if the sun was shining at its brightest, the swamp would stay in the shadows.

When the small figure had come to stand in the center of an intersection of paths she waved her arms in the air.

"Come to me, raajs!"

A single hawk flew through the intertwined branches overhead, landing on the path to the right of the female. Then it stared with its brown and gold specked eyes.

Strydan cautiously put down her pack containing her supplies and provisions.

The hawk hopped onto the pack and started to dig through it. Once it was satisfied it wrapped its stained talons around a strap of it and flew upwards. The bird then flew over some of the slime and neatly dropped the pack into it, where it quickly sank with a revolting sucking sound.

Strydan watched as the pack sank completely, the only thing showing that there ever had been a pack was the torn fabric stuck to the bird's talon. Inside she was going mad with rage but on the surface she appeared calm. She grated her teeth until she was ready to speak calmly.

"Are you happy?"

The hawk seemed to smile. It called out a few shorts whistles and spread its wings.

Strydan was near the point of attacking it with a hiss nearly escaping her mouth.

"I don't have anything for you to throw in there."

The bird shook its head and flew to her shoulder and plucked out the female's hair ribbon.

"But that's my favorite!"

Strydan stomped off leaving the raaj playing with her velvet ribbon.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Y'all are idgits…