Fan Fiction ❯ Magic and Machines ❯ Exams ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Magic and Machines
"Cough, ughh ptui!" Adam said as he put his magine down back on his work desk. He wiped a large cloud of black smoke away from his face. "Okay don't try that again."
Adam is a 16 year old teen that lives in a new age of technology. Where everything is clean and there is no waste byproduct from any machine and all of the air is clean and pollution free. Now in this world there is a new type of construction worker called a kiniker, they combine materials, that in previous years, would have been used for making gas, powered cranes, or trucks, but they use the metal for magines, a machine that uses spells and magic to run instead of using gas or nuclear power that creates pollution or when the energy runs out it explodes. And also since there is no use of gasoline, petrol, or any other type of combustable chemicals, people don't have to worry about vehicles exploding and creating a fire and causing damage. So mostly everything is much safer.
"Yo, bro," said Adam's little brother, Eric,"so how's the magine working o...ohh so how has your day been?" Eric said as he quickly changed the subject noticing that Adam magine was in pieces on his table.
"Ohh my god, my exam is tomorrow and if I don't pass I don't get in to the Kiniker Institute!"
"Dude, calm down that institute isn't everything."
"Yeah, dude, it is. It has been a dream of mine to follow after dad."
Adam knew that struck a nerve with Eric. Their dad has been in the war with the Narcepts ever since Adam was a little boy.The Narcepts were a race of people who use blood and bodies to power thier machines. They have bones and dried blood scattered across their land. Eric wasn't even born yet, so Eric has never even seen their dad.
"Okay I'll help you if you need any materials or anything."
"Thanks dude." Adam said as he went back to working on his magine.
"I've heard about the different types of magine, so what kind is this one?"
"It is called a torrier, a servant it requires only a little bit of magic to hold together."
"That's cool, so I'll see you tomorrow," Eric said as he yawned, "I got to get some sleep."
"Alright, night."
****************************************************
Adam woke up the next morning to see that his torrier was working and was holding a cup under his chin to catch his drool.
"Ohhh......," Adam said as he yawned, "hey little dude."
"ADAM! ADAM! HEY LAZY BUTT GET UP!!!" Adam's mother screamed from the kitchen.
"Alright alright I'll get up."
Adam walked into his bedroom from his workroom and got dressed. He put on his watch and ran his hands through his hair.
"Hey remember what today is Adam?" his mother asked as she walked into his bedroom while she was drying a dish with a rag, "Today is the day of your exam for the Kiniker Institu....."
"OHH CRAP! I need to get going." Adam exclaimed.He then got on his clothes and ran out to the garage.
He looked around and ran over to the cloth that was covering something. He pulled it off and there was metal and gizmos and propellers all scattered everywhere. He put his hands on the pile of stuff and said "Ekibrevoh" and the stuff started to rise off the ground and started assembling themselves together into, what looked like, a makeshift hoverbike, which looked similar to a modern day motorcycle.
"Sweet!" Adam said as opened the garage door and jumped onto the bike.
He put his hand on the "dashboard" and sparks started to flow out of his hands and into the bike. The propellers started to spin and it started to rise off of the ground. He turned the handle and yelled "BYE MOM" and shot out of the garage and off to the exam building.
Adam's house was located deep in the woods of the city of Bleachly with only a dirt road connecting them to the city. It was a nice spacious two story mansion, that Adam's mom bought with the money that Adam's dad sent back from the war.
****************************************************
Once he got off the bike and released his magical hold on the parts and they falled to the ground. He looked around and saw that there were many other "vehichles" around him but they were still all put together.
"Wow, these Kinikers must be really strong."
He walked into the building and went into the exam room. He saw many other kinikers around and they were chatting with other kinikers and sharing stories and techniques. Many of the kinikers here looked confident and Adam guessed that many of them had already taken the exam before.
"Alright, alright everyone find a seat and get in it." a man yelled as he entered the room. The man's name was Professer Gerald Rolly. "Now I'm going to pass out the exams and hand you all a bag of parts. Know this now, only the very best kiniker inventions will persuade me to choose them to go to the Kiniker Institute. Also know that I can only choose one of you to go on to the Kiniker Institute." Professer Rolly said as he finished passing out the bags and exams. He went to the head to the class and then said, "You may begin!"
Everyone finished the written part of the exam pretty easily but once they got to the parts they were surprised to find that the materials that were given to them were different then what they worked with exept Adam. To his surprise these were very cheap materials, the only kinds he use at home. It was a mixture between wood and koronium a very flimsy piece of metal. Adam looked around and saw that many of the kinikers were having trouble with the pieces. He guessed their magic was only practiced on expensive metal that accepted their powers more easily than there ones.
Adam put his hand down on his parts and thought of something that would impress Professer Rolly and he thought of his torrier and said, "Reirrot." and the parts changed into his torrier. He started to listen to the others and heard their vehicles collapsing on the ground outside. Professer Rolly raised an eyebrow to it. He walked up to the front of the class and gave Professer Rolly his magine. Professer Rolly looked it over.
"You'll get the results in the mail this afternoon,"Professer Rolly said as he set the magine down with ease. "You may leave now."
Adam walked out of the room and then the building. Once he got into the parking lot, he noticed that most of the spots that were previously occupied with vehicles, were now occupied with piles of junk.
He walked over to his pile and put his hand on the mound of junk.
"Ekibevoh."
Then the bike reformed and Adam drove home.
****************************************************
"Adam calm down!" Eric said as he was pulling Adam's hands away from his biting mouth.
" I know, I know. But I'm just... I don't know."
"Dude, from what you told me the other kinikers hadn't worked with those materials. You pretty much got it in the bag." Eric said as he put his arms behind his head and reclined on their couch in their living room.
Adam got up and was walking towards the door and at normal pace but then he looked out the window and saw a magine car driving by which looked like the mail truck. He ran out the door and ran to the magine.
"Here you go, Mister." the mailman said as he handed an envelope to Adam.
"Thank you, thank you, thank you." Adam said very fast and ran back inside.
Adam's mother was almost as excited as Adam was, so was Eric.
"Open it,open it" Eric chanted.
Adam's mother was in the kitchen doing some more dishes
"So Adam what did it say?" His mother yelled from the kitchen.
Adam opened the package and pulled out it's contents and read it and the excitement quickly dissapated from his face. He got up from the couch and walked into the kitchen.
"Ohh no I'm sorry Adam but you could try out next..." His mom said trying to comfort him but was interrupted by Adam.
"Mom what are you talking about I made it!"
"OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" His mom screamed, " Ohh my boy's growing up." She finished as she grabbed the letter to read.

To Adam Fillison,
It is my joy to tell you that you have been accepted to the Kiniker Institude of Bleachly. You have been chosen because of your exceptional marks on the written exam(97) and the magine exam(100). You have been invited to the open house of the institute and may bring parents and siblings. The Kiniker Institute will start its classes on June the 7th at 8:00am sharp. Thank you and we hope to see you there.
Sincerly,
Gerald Rolly.
Adam was in shock, He couldn't believe that he actually passed the test. Then they heard a knock on the front door.
"I'll get it, Mom." Eric said as he ran to the door.
When he opened the door, Eric saw a giant man towering over him.
"Umm hello mister." Eric said taking a step back.
"Hello, little man. Is your brother around." Professer Rolly said as he knelt down to match Eric's height.
"Yeah, hold on one second." Eric said as he ran to the kitchen to pry Adam from his mother's arms.
When Adam got to the door he was immediatly hugged by Professer Rolly, which was weird for him since he looked like such a strong and manly man.
"Ughhh, umm thanks." Adam said as he was released from Rolly's death grip.
"You are the only one in ten years that had even been able to change the parts into something."
"Well that's pretty cool, but normally those are the kinds of materials that I work with here.
"You remind me of a lot of your father."
"What you knew him?"
"Yep he and I were always sent on the same jobs and missions," Rolly said as he scratched his chin and walked into the living room to sit down.
"Well how come you wearn't sent on to the war with Dad?"
"Because I was chosen to give exams and try to get some new recuits for the Kiniker Institute."
"Ohh that's cool." Adam said.
As the conversation went on he began to ask Rolly a lot of questions about their father. Rolly kept intriging Adam with some of the stories of Rolly and Adam's dad's adventures, but he could barely get through one sentence without Eric pestering Rolly with questions about his dad.
****************************************************
"Well I better be going." Rolly said as he looked at his watch and put down his mug.
"Okay, I guess that I'll see you later." Adam said as he shut the door behind Rolly.
"WAIT! don't go I want to ask some more questions." Eric said as he put on a pouting look.
"Well he seemed nice." Adam's mother said as Adam walked back into the living room as she exited the kitchen.
"Yeah I thought he was pretty nice myself." Eric said as he got up off the floor.
Adam, Eric and his mother all had a conversation about Rolly and the institute.
****************************************************
Jun e seventh rolled around pretty fast and before Adam knew it he was waking up to "Good morning everyone of Bleachly it is June the seventh with an overcast sky and a slight chance of rain."