Fan Fiction ❯ Midsumer Adventures ❯ Market happenings, secret presents ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 2 - Market happenings, secret presents
 
Soon after leaving the park's east entrance, Nicolai arrived at the urban market. There were food stands everywhere. As he walked around looking for the baking supplies on his list. He noticed a dairy vendor bringing out his cases of dairy goods.
 
Nicolai needed milk, butter and cream for his cake so he walked over to the vendor. “Yes, how can I help you?” asked the dairy vendor.
 
“I'd like a stick of butter, a half gallon of milk, and a half carton eggs please,” asked Nicolai
 
“Ok, coming right up sir,” said the vendor and he gathered the ingredients and placed them in Nicolai's shopping bag.
 
It as then he noticed the eggs have a familiar stamped design on them. “Hey this design, it's the logo for Watson Farms.”
 
“Oh yes, I get all my dairy products from them, you're familiar with the brand?” “Yes I am,” said Nicolai. “ I'm friends with the farmer's daughter, Katie.”
 
“Really, are you visiting Highland city?” said the dairy vendor
 
“Actually I used to live in Birchwood, but I moved here a month ago,” said Nicolai
 
“Really, you wouldn't happen to be a Fischer would you?”
 
“Yes, I'm Nicolai.” he said
 
“Nicolai?” The vendor thought for a bit and then realized something. “Oh yes, I remember you. Your Mother would send me pictures of you.”
 
“You know my Mother?” Nicolai asked.
 
“I know you, your mom, Dad and Vinola, and you're pets of course. I'm Garfield Watson, Katie's grandpa.”
 
“Oh yes, you were at my family's picnic four years ago,” Nicolai said,
 
“Vinola was three at the time. I didn't go because I had the chicken pox so we never met until now. But Katie's told me a lot about you.”
 
“Well she tells me a lot about you too,” replied Garfield. “She's missed you a lot since you moved.”
 
“I've missed her too, but I can't wait till my birthday next week so I can see her and she can meet my new friend,” said Nicolai
 
“Well I hope to be there myself as well,” Nicolai then checked his bag to see that everything was inside.
 
“Well I better hurry and get my produce and head home before the butter melts. I'll see you at the party maybe.” Nicolai said leaving for the produce stand.
 
“Ok, I'll try my best to be there,” said Garfield Once he arrived he noticed the greengrocer was a tiger in a green tie.
 
As he gathered the things he needed, he thought of the delicious stir fry that his Mother makes. When he reached for a bunch of parsley, someone else grabbed the same bunch at the same time he did. When Nicolai looked up, he was surprised to find it was Trey.
 
“Oh Nicolai, I didn't notice you by here.” said Trey in shock.
 
“Same here,” said letting go of the bunch of parsley.
 
“You can have that one, I'll just get another.” Nicolai said and took another bunch of parsley.
 
“So what brings you here?” Trey asked
 
“I'm here shopping for dinner and for a cake I'm baking.” “That's sounds nice, I'm here shopping too,” said Trey. “What kind of cake?”, “chocolate” replied Nicolai.
 
“Is the cake for the luncheon?” Trey asked
 
“No, actually the cake's for my birthday next week.” replied Nicolai
 
“Oh your birthday's next week, that's great. How old will you be?” said Trey.
“Eleven,” said Nicolai in reply. “I want to invite you to my party. Will you come?” he asked.
 
“I'd love to come, when is it?” Trey asked
 
“The 21st of July at 4:40 in the afternoon,” Nicolai explained
 
“Then I'm in.” said Trey
 
“Great, and you can meet my friends from Birchwood, they'll be coming too. Well I better get home before the butter melts, I'll see you later” Nicolai said and left for home.
 
“I hope his friends won't be scared of me.” Trey said to himself. After returning home and putting the groceries away, Nicolai went straight to his room to check off his list of plans. “Ok what's next?” he asked himself. “Mom said she'd decorate, so next I'll have to plan the dinner menu.” Outside in the backyard, Lucy was taking a nap under the trellis while Vinola and Leon shared a bowl of peanuts.
 
“So Leon, any ideas of what you want to get Nicolai for his birthday?” asked Vinola “I'm not sure really, I've never given the master a present before.” Leon replied. “Well think, you've known him longer than me so must know what he likes.” Vinola said with confidence
 
“Well let me think,” Leon said and gnawed through another peanut. “Maybe one of those gold chains, you know the ones those rock stars wear?” “I don't think so, my big brother doesn't really follow trends.” said Vinola.
 
“Well does he like any sports?” asked Leon
 
“Well I remember him telling me about when he met Trey and went to his track team practice. He told me he was impressed by the runner's speed, especially Trey.”
 
“Maybe something related to track then, any other sports he likes?” “He likes soccer, but he just watches the games, he doesn't play. He does like tennis though,” said Vinola
 
“Then that's it, we'll give the master gifts that involve track and tennis.” said Leon.
 
“Good idea, I've got some allowance saved up, I can buy the tennis stuff.” said Vinola
 
“That's great, and I can make something track related for the master.” Leon said with determination.
 
Meanwhile, in the kitchen Nicolai prepared a stir fry and sandwich for lunch. As he ate, he tried to think of what to serve at his party. Rob then came into the kitchen with a big bag of apples. “Do you need help with that bag Dad?” Nicolai asked,
 
“No thanks son, I can handle it.” Rob said and set the bag down on the counter.
 
“What are you going to do with those apples?” Nicolai asked
 
“I'm going to make some homemade applesauce later, how's that stir fry?” he asks,
 
“Great, made it myself.” Nicolai said
 
“Is there anymore? I'm starving.” Rob said
 
“In the dining room, still hot,” said Nicolai
 
Rob quickly went into the dining room, took the plate of leftover stir fry and started eating away. Nicolai was a bit taken back at his Dad wolfing down his meal. “So how is it?” he asked
 
“It's really good, no kidding.” said Rob
 
“Really, you think so?” Nicolai asked
 
“I sure do, will this be on the menu for your birthday dinner?” Nicolai hadn't thought his stir fry was good enough to be in his birthday dinner. “Do you really think its good enough?” Nicolai asked
 
“Definitely, I can take you to the store tomorrow.” said Rob
 
“Thanks Dad.” Nicolai said warmly. After lunch Nicolai returned to his room and worked out his menu. “Ok, since my stir fry is one course. I'll make the menu multi cultural.” Nicolai said as he wrote down his menu. “We'll start with my Dad's antipasto platter, then my stir fry with sushi on the side.”
 
After writing down every detail, within no time the menu was complete. “Perfect.” Nicolai said and checked off planning the menu as another task complete. “Now let's see what's left?” As he checked his plan, Lucy had woken up and was not climbing the trellis and heading for Nicolai's room.
 
She stopped just shy of the window to notice Nicolai, at work with his party plans. “I still need games, and entertainment. Maybe I can find a band or some musical group, maybe mom has some ideas.” Nicolai then got up from his desk and left for his parent's bedroom.
 
Lucy had heard everything Nicolai had said, and began to ponder what she could do to help also. Nicolai arrived at the door of his parent's bedroom only to have Heather come out at that moment. “Oh hi Nicolai, what's up?”
 
“Mom, do you know of any entertainment I can get for my party?”
 
“Well it's funny you ask, remember the Highland diner we went to our first day in the city?”
 
“Yes,” replied Nicolai
 
“Well there having open mike night for the local bands, maybe you can find someone there, just as long as you're back by curfew.”
 
“Thanks mom, I will.” Nicolai replied and raced off.
 
“It's not till 7:00 this evening!” Heather exclaimed.
 
“Ok, but I'm heading out with Edgar downtown. I'll be back for dinner.” The sun was brightly shining as Nicolai and Edgar left home for their walk.
 
“I know we usually go on our walk in the morning, because I had to shop for the cake ingredients early, so the butter wouldn't melt in the sun's heat. I thought we'd do it now for a change.
 
“That's fine, as long as I'm with you it doesn't matter.” said Edgar mindfully.
 
“Same here, but you know how my mom wants me to be as organized as possible, and I found I needed my own plan.” So Nicolai and Edgar chatted as they headed for downtown.
 
Meanwhile, Rob had driven Vinola to the local sports recreation store. Once inside both Vinola and her Father were amazed at the size of the store. “Gosh, this place is huge.” Vinola said excitedly.
 
“It sure is, now stay close to me Vina. I don't want us to get separated.” Rob said firmly
 
“Okay Daddy,” Vinola replied and took her Father's hand.
 
As they walked through the store Rob eyed the motorcycles, while Vinola looked at all the fancy bikes. But remembered they were here to buy a gift for Nicolai so they pressed on till they found the tennis rackets. “I've found it Daddy,” Vinola said taking a fancy looking racquet. “This is the one for Nicolai. It even has his name on it.”
 
Rob took the racquet and inspected it. “This is nice, good weight, not flimsy. But this isn't Nicolai's name on here Vina.”
 
“It's not?” she asked looking surprisingly
 
“No, it's Nicolas. That's the name of the company where they make these.”
 
“Oh,” said Vinola. “So can I get it for Nicolai?”
 
“Well its fifteen dollars, let's see how much you have.” Vinola took out the money she got from her bank and handed it to her Father.
 
Rob carefully counted the money. “I'm sorry honey, you're one dollar short.”
 
“Oh no!” Vinola exclaimed
 
“Are you sure that's all the money you have?” Rob asked
 
“Oh wait, I have a gold coin that might do it.” Vinola said digging into her pocket.
 
Rob looked puzzled “Gold coin?”
 
“Yeah, I've got one right here.” Vinola said handing Rob a coin. “Oh, I see. This isn't gold coin Vinola, it's a gold dollar.”
 
“What do you mean Daddy?” Vinola asked
 
“This coin may look gold, but it's made of different metals, it's not pure gold but worth a dollar and you now have enough to buy the racquet.”
 
“Oh great then, gold's overrated anyway.” Vinola said as she headed for the tennis balls.
 
Rob chuckled a bit and quickly followed. Once the tennis balls were in hand they bought them both, had them gift wrapped, and headed for home. Vinola felt proud that she could get Nicolai a gift all with her own money.
 
As soon as they got home, Vinola took the gift wrapped racquet and placed it under her bed in an old box. Meanwhile, downtown Nicolai and Edgar were doing some window shopping as they looked through the shop windows as the walked along the sidewalk.
 
“Wow! Look at all these shops, Birchwood only had a tenth of this. Their toys are amazing,” said Nicolai
 
“I know and that specialty butcher shop we passed awhile back, I could almost smell a roast in the oven,” Edgar replied
 
“Maybe I should bring back a little something for Leon and Lucy.” Nicolai thought.
 
Then at that moment, they heard some lively music playing. “…That music, where's it coming from?” Nicolai asked Edgar
 
“I'm not sure. I've heard it mildly in the background for some time.” “I think it's around the block we just passed. Let's check it out.”
 
So Nicolai and Edgar raced around the last block they passed. As they ran, the music got louder and clearer. Finally come around the corner of the local bank and saw the music was being made by three wolves, dressed in black and gold outfits.
 
People passing by tossed coins into an old sombrero, as they played their lively music. Nicolai then took some quarters and threw them into the sombrero and applauded. The wolves stopped playing to take notice of Nicolai clapping.
 
“Thank you, you're contributions are most appreciated.” said the tallest of the three wolves “Oh really the pleasure was all mine.” Nicolai replied
 
“Thank you for your generosity and kind words. You're the first today to personally comment on our music, what's your name?”
 
“I'm Nicolai, and this is my dog Edgar.”
 
“We're the mariachi wolves. I'm Felipe, beside me my brother Carlos, and my son Pepe.”
 
“It's nice to meet you, we heard you music all the way from the shopping district.” said Pepe..
 
“Glad you stopped by, it's out last street performance for awhile.” Carlos said.
 
“You're music is great, do you have a CD out?” Nicolai asked. The wolves all shook their heads.
 
“Regrettably no, we've yet to land a record deal.” Felipe replied “But thanks for your interest, we hope this year will be our year though.” Felipe said warmly
 
“Well we better go, we've got to the bank to deposit this, and then set up for our next gig, hope to see you again Nicolai.” Felipe took the sombrero filled with coins and dollar bills and poured it into a backpack, then he placed it on his back and the three wolves set off.
 
“Wait a minute, come back guys. I wanted to ask you something else!” shouted Nicolai
But it was too late as the mariachi wolves were too far away to hear him. “I was hoping you could play at my birthday party,” he said softly.
 
“Don't worry Nicolai. I'm sure you'll find someone else at the diner's open mike night.”
Edgar said confidently
 
Nicolai gave a deep sigh. “You're right Edgar, but they would've been perfect.” Nicolai and Edgar quietly returned for home, with neither saying a word to each other. When they returned home, Heather was outside watering the plants around the house.
 
“Hi, welcome back.” Heather said,
 
“Hi mom, I'll be ready for dinner soon.” Nicolai replied dimly and went inside.
 
“I wonder what's got him so down?” she asked herself.
 
Inside, Nicolai went into the kitchen to wash his hands, though he said nothing and seemed all right, Edgar could tell he was disappointed. “I know you wanted the mariachi wolves to perform at your party, but you might meet them again at least.”
 
“It's not just that, I also thought that if they met my Dad, he might bring them on his new show. Maybe play one of their songs, and they might get a record deal.”
 
“I see,” said Edgar
 
“There music was so lively and cool. They deserve to have their own CD.”
 
“I'm proud of you Nicolai.” Edgar said
 
“For what?” he asked,
 
“It's always important that we thank of others while think of ourselves, and I'm proud of you for that.”
 
“Thanks Edgar, you seem to know just the right thing to say. Nicolai then dried his hands, undid Edgar's leash, and went to his place at the table while Edgar heads for Nicolai's room upstairs.