Fan Fiction ❯ Miss Independent ❯ Miss Independent ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Miss independent
Miss self-sufficient
Miss keep your distance, mmmm

While driving home from work, I find myself thinking about everything to do. I have to change out of these clothes and into something more comfortable, that was for sure. There was also cleaning; I'd left the dishes from breakfast in the sink...heck, my car was full of empty water bottles. The car it needs an oil change. Looks like I'm putting motor oil on my shopping list. Hopefully that guy down at AutoZone won't hit on me again. He thinks he can help me when it comes to my car please. I know perfectly well where the oil goes thank you very much.

Miss Unafraid
Miss Out of my way
Miss don't let a man interfere, no

Pulling into my parking spot, I began to empty my car of its many water bottles. I also managed to find three candy bar wrappers and a bag from Wendy's underneath the seats. 'When was the last time I cleaned you out,' I thought while dumping the plastic trash bag in the dumpster and locking my '84 Cadillac Cimmeron. 'And the guy at the dealership wanted to sell me a cute Ford Taurus,' I thought, smiling as I looked at the dent in the driver's side door. My car may be small, but I wouldn't call it cute. I'd call it sturdy, strong even. No, my car is not cute; it's beautiful, and no one was going to interfere with my choice.

Miss on her own
Miss almost grown
Miss never let a man help her off her throne

Unlocking the door to my two-bedroom apartment, I heard the phone ringing. Running to beat my machine, I picked up the cordless wondering if I really wanted to talk to the person on the other line.
"Hello," my voice came out curious, yet reluctant.
"Leila?" the person on the other line questioned.
"Hi Mom," my voice slightly relieved, though not really wanting to talk.
"Hi baby, just making my weekly check-in." Her voice sounded cheery, comforting even.
"Don't you mean daily?" I joked.
"All right, all right," she laughed, "so how's school? You're not still having trouble in math are you?"
"No Mom, I got it under control."
"And your job?"
"Busy as usual." My responses were almost automatic.
"What about your apartment and your car, no problems?"
"They're good, need to be cleaned, but no leaks or plugged-up sinks. The car needs an oil change, but nothing I can't handle."
"I'm glad, well I guess I better let you sleep, love you sweetheart."
"Love you too Mom."
"Study hard."
"Bye Mom," I smiled into the phone and laid it back in its cradle noticing the flashing lights of messages left while I was out.
"Hi Leila, Dustin here hoping you'll call back," came the first message.
"Leila, Colin here, call me when you get this k? Talk soon, later," came the voice of one of my best friends. I chose to call Colin first since Dustin could wait. He was nice, sweet, and exactly what I was NOT looking for at the moment.

So, by keeping her heart protected
She'll never ever fell rejected
Little miss apprehensive
Said, ooh, she fell in love

I heard the phone ring a few times before Colin picked up.
"Yeah," came his voice in the nonchalant tone I loved about him.
"You called," I replied, our normal phone routine of saying as little as possible falling into play.
"Yeah," he said again.
"About" I trailed off.
"You need to come over."
"For" I began walking to the fridge in hopes of food.
"Movie night with Dustin and me."
"Is that what this is about?"
"Yes and you can stop looking through that pathetic excuse for a fridge, we have pizza."
"Maybe what movie, what kind of pizza?" I was relieved to not have to resort to spaghetti, those TV dinners just weren't that great.