Fan Fiction ❯ Mob Wars ❯ The War Starts ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mob Wars

It was only supposed to be a hideout for a few days, weeks at the most…but when the weeks turned to months, and those months to two years, I knew something was bad, that something was up.

Then there was this guy, I don't know what his name was and neither did anyone else, but he was causing havoc in all the gangs. He went from Luigi and Joey to Leone and it was starting to get out of hand when he went there from the Mafia to the Yakuza led by Asuka and her older brother.

Personally, I didn't really care. But when it came to my part of town, I got furious. I always wanted to be in a gang, but after seeing the things they went through, I kept to myself that they were dangerous and stupid.

My older brother, actually stepbrother Dally, already was in some kind of `gang'. But not really - they were called greasers…sworn enemies of the Socs - or popular's.

My real brother is a Soc, a rich kid. But he doesn't like the fighting. He'd rather do it on his Playstation 2, you know, Grand Theft Auto 3?

Life is kinda like that game now. The gangs are named after the ones in the game including the Mafia, Yakuza, Triads, Logos, Diablo's, Cartels, and some others.

But there is one other group…another gang that doesn't need a name to describe them besides `devastating'. They kill any other gang member they come across, pick fights with anyone they can, hot-wire and steal all kinds of cars, and get thrown in the slammer way too often. One piece of advice… `Stay away from them! Steer clear of the Radical Dreamers!' Kind of a weird name, huh? Radical Dreamers? But it suits them perfectly and I wouldn't just go up to one of them and say, `Your name sucks!' They'd pummel me with bullets! And you'd be a smart one to stay away from their turf, too.

But steering clear was impossible when wherever you went; you knew that a gang `owned' it.

Personally, I liked the Yakuza. They had awesome cars and the only ones that they had trouble with were the Radical's.

The biggest group was probably the Diablo's and not far behind them the Mafia and Yakuza. You could hardly run into a Logo or Cartel, and close to never a Radical.

But that didn't matter with me. Sooner or later I'd have to get into a gang, because that was the only way of life…

Sonny Corinthos, a very prosperous businessman, runs the Mafia. At his right hand is Jason, who used to be a Quatermaine, but decided to keep the name of his mother, Morgan.

Zander, a boy that Liz was trying to befriend, is a friend of mine. After I joined the Yakuza Stingers, he basically worked for me. Liz is a girl that likes Jason, but won't tell him, because he's in the Mafia and well; his life is on the line all the time.

So that's how it started. I worked for the Yakuza, as the right hand assassin for Asuka. And it was all very devastating. I'd kill anyone she told me too, and I'd be paid a ton. I made myself a pretty good rep, too. People looked out for me and steered clear. Though no one ever really saw me on the streets, all the gangs had heard of me, just as they had heard of the Radicals.

Well, no one exactly knew what I looked like, they just knew my name and that I drove a Yakuza Stinger like all the other Yakuza.

Oh, that's right. I forgot. My name is Caspian Catalyst Shizuko, CCS, as most know me.

So I could go anywhere, and not be bothered. No one even knew that I was in a gang! None of my friends ever suspected me of being in a gang, and neither did anyone in my family. I just had this job, and it made me money. Course I only took so much home a week for them, I kept more then 50% for myself, mostly because if I even brought 40% home, they'd be millionaire's, and wondered where I got it all from.

So I just didn't spend a lot at once, and I didn't spend a lot of time at my real homes. I lived with Sonny Corinthos, the Mafia gang leader. But of course he didn't know that I was Asuka's number one assassin.

Why did I live with him? Because he took care of me. I was like a daughter to him, but also was a two-faced liar at the same time. Asuka knew I lived with him, she was basically the one who told me to, but she made me swear on my life that he would never find out about my job. So what I really ended up doing with all that money is splitting it in fourths. I gave my real family some, gave my stepfamily some, gave Sonny some for letting me live with him, and I kept the rest.

Anyway, that's my background garbage.

*

I came home from work one day, and when I say home I mean Sonny's home. I threw my sleeveless jean jack down on the couch and jumped down on it myself. I groaned as I rubbed my head and rolled over on my back.

"Rough day at work?"

I opened my red eyes to see Sonny looking down at me, his arms folded. I nodded. "Wouldn't you believe it." I had lied to him that I worked in a business building, said I was a secretary. Who wouldn't believe that? I type faster then anyone I know, and I can run papers to anyone in an office building faster then an elevator can take you to that floor.

So of course he thought I meant at the office.

"What happened?" he asked, taking a seat on a brown leather chair.

I groaned. "You wouldn't believe it. The boss got mad at me for spilling his coffee on my way into his office, and he de-promoted me! Can you believe the nerve of the guy?!"

He smiled at me. "So where did he put you now?"

"Well, as you know, I was in the main office doing all that typing and stuff, and he learned that I love to type, so he gave me a job that doesn't let me type!" I fumed. "I'm officially his coffee, uh, bringer?"

He laughed.

"Oh, but it's not funny!" I sighed. "If I don't make it just right, he gets SO mad! It has to be just right! I swear…I'm gonna sock him one of these blasted days!"

Sonny shook his head as he stood up. "Well, if he really gives you any trouble, just tell me. But right now I have some business to do,"

I nodded. "All right."

He nodded back to me and left.

I sighed heavily and put my face in the cough seat. I screamed into the cushion, gripping the seat as I did it.

Carly came in just as I was doing that. "Caspian? Are you ok?"

I looked up at her. "Yeah, I'm fine."

She nodded and left to find Sonny.

I groaned and got back up. I grabbed my jacket and headed for the door. "Hey, Sonny, I'm gonna go to the coffee house or whatever. I'll be back in a while!" I called into the house. He never responded to that, so I just left and headed for the coffee house as I said I was.

Just as I was about to go into the small store, I saw Jason and Liz sitting at a table together. I recognized Jason easily because he worked for Sonny and was around really often. Liz took me a second or two more. She liked to hang around Jason, and had tried to befriend a co-worker of mine, Zander. I didn't like her all that much, and for many different reasons.

I took a deep breath and slowly started into the coffee house. I walked past them and they only saw my back, if they saw me at all. I took a seat at the counter and waited for someone to take my order.

"Caspian?"

I blinked and slowly turned my head to see who was talking to me. There stood A.J., Jason's brother. A smirked crawled on my lips as he took a seat next to me. "AJ, what are you doing here?" I asked as someone came up to me on the other side of the counter, an order book in hand. "Just a hot cocoa, thanks." I turned my eyes back to the man.

He ordered quickly what he wanted and turned back to me. "Just came for something to drink. What about you? How are you?"

AJ had always been a friend of mine, whether anyone else liked him or not. Actually, that's one of the main reasons he was a friend of mine, because no one else liked him. I try my best in life to befriend the people others won't, like Zander and A.J.

"I'm fine."

"How's the business life?"

"Horrible." I took hold of my cocoa and took a small sip. "You?"

"Same." He muttered as he picked up his drink.

I laughed, just barely. "It's nice to see you again."

He put his drink up like a cheer. "Ditto."

I smiled as I took a bigger drink. "How's the wife?"

He shrugged as he too took another drink. "She's fine. Have you found anyone yet?"

I just laughed and shook my head as I took another hot drink. "Nope. And I don't plan on it anytime soon." I nodded firmly.

He himself laughed. "Too bad."

I finished my drink during the short silence and left the money on the counter. "I'll see ya later, AJ." I jumped off the chair, put my hands in my pockets, and started towards the door.

He nodded to me and looked back ahead of himself.

"Caspian."

I looked sideways and saw Jason getting up from his seat. "Yeah?" I asked in a monotone voice.

He stopped beside me and eyed me suspiciously. "Sonny doesn't know, does he?"

I blinked slowly. "Know? Know what?" I was hoping with all my mind and body that he didn't know about Asuka.

"About Zander." He pulled back my jacket and revealed a long, deep gash on the back of my arm.

I grabbed my jacket back from him, scowling deeply. "Why would he care about Zander?"

"He would care about you," he said sternly.

I frowned. To him I was just some innocent little girl, like Liz. "Sure he would." I yanked away from him for he had grabbed my arm, and took a step back.

"You should stay away from him. You shouldn't let him beat you up." He frowned, taking that step towards me.

I narrowed my eyes and the red glowed. "Back off, Jason. Zander didn't do anything."

He narrowed his own eyes and took a deep breath through his nose. "I know he did. Why do you let him? Why don't you tell Sonny?"

I snarled and felt like punching him. "Because Zander has nothing to do with the gash," I snarled, stepping backwards, still gripping my jacket in my hand. "It's just another battle scar, from some guy off the streets." Man, I was horrible at lying to Jason. Where was the Caspian that lied to Sonny so easily?

He lifted his head, totally not believing me.

Just as I took another step backwards, I crashed into someone and I fell to the floor with a loud thud.

I groaned and rubbed my head.

"Caspian?" I knew that voice.

"Sonny." I breathed deeply, picking myself up. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to see Jason." He said, looking me over. "Are you ok?"

"Yeah, fine." I said, full confidence back.

Jason glared at me.

I ran my hand through my long black/green hair and my eyes flared. Back off, Jason, before you get into more trouble then Sonny can dig you out of.

"Something going on?" Sonny suddenly cut into my thoughts.

I blinked and looked up at him. "No, no of course not. Nothing's going on."

Jason suddenly reached over and grabbed my arm.

"HEY!" I yelled, and tried to reach over with my other arm to punch him.

But he grabbed that hand and turned me around so my back was facing Sonny. "Zander." He simply said.

Sonny frowned deeply and traced his finger down the deep gash.

I winced and my whole body shivered.

Sonny looked up at me. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"It was just a stupid fight, that's all." I snapped, glaring at Jason. "Let me go." I snarled quietly to him so Sonny couldn't hear.

He glared at me, his eyes narrowing even more.

Sonny took my arm gently, and turned me around.

I looked up at him reluctantly and ripped my other arm from Jason. "What? Why are you concerned?"

"You live with me, don't you?" I nodded slowly. "You're like a daughter to me, I don't want to see you getting hurt."

Those words stung me. "You…you actually care?" I asked, my eyes gleaming. "Like, not just because if I get killed it'll be some huge court thing that'll cost money, but because you actually care about me?"

He looked at me like I was crazy. "Is that new to you?"

"Well, ya." I said, my eyes softening. "No one's actually cared about me before. Just, themselves. Their money, or their reputation."

He smiled at me. "Yes, I care about you. I don't want to see you get hurt, and especially not killed."

I brightened. "Thanks." I cracked a smile and licked my lips. "Now um, do you think you can let me go? I have business to do."

He nodded and dropped my arm.

I glared at Jason, and left the coffee house, pulling my jacket back on as I did so.

Sonny looked at Jason. "You sure don't know how to handle her, do you?"

Jason rolled his eyes. "I don't think I ever want to learn how."

I walked out of the store and took a deep breath. He cared about me. I smiled and turned to leave.

"Uh hem."

I slowly turned and saw one of Zander's friends standing there, in the shadows. My eyes narrowed. He had been the one in the fight that Zander had slashed me in. "What are you doing here?!"

He smirked. "I got a proposition for you…"

"No way! I don't listen to sleazebags like you." but as I talked, and as he had talked, my heart started to race. I was scared. I shivered once and my heart started to beat faster.

"Really? It's a real good one."

"No way. Get out of here."

"You know what I do to people that turn me down?"

"Because they know too much? You get rid of them." I sneered, and then realized what I had said. He was going to kill me. "No…don't you dare try to kill me!"

He pulled out a Magnum from his pocket, and aimed it at me.

My heart went faster and faster and faster every second. Suddenly, I lost it. "SONNY!" I screamed as I backed up, and tears streamed down my cheeks. This wasn't exactly the business I had meant that I was going to go do.

"Bye, bye, annoying birdie." A loud shot went off, and people all around screamed and started to run.

My eyes bulged and my stomach sucked in as I gasped for air. My jacket fell out of my grasp, and blood oozed down my shirt and pants. My stomach sucked in every second for air, and I made the strangest noises as I gasped for air.

But not too long later Sonny, Liz, Jason and A.J. had come running out of the coffee house.

I was kneeling down on the ground, grasping my stomach, and my long hair was shrouding me.

Sonny ran over to me and fell to his knees. "Caspian! Caspian, what happened?!"

Jason looked around. But no one was near.

A.J. dropped to my other side. "Cass, are you ok?!"

My stomach sucked in again for a breath and I collapsed to the ground.

"CASPIAN!" A.J. yelled.

Sonny rolled me over and moved my hands to see the hole in my stomach. His eyes flared.

Liz turned her head and Jason winced.

Tears started to pour down A.J.'s cheeks, and he brushed my hair away from my face. "Caspian…hang on Cass…"

Sonny slipped his arms under me and ran me out to his car. "Jason, meet me at the hospital!" He slid me into the front seat and then raced over to the other side and got into the driver's side.

He started the car and zoomed off.

"Come on," Jason said, and started for his motorcycle.

"Wait!" A.J. called, running after him. "Can I come? Please Jason?"

Jason gave his brother a deep glare, but Liz put her arm on his shoulder.

"Let him, I'll stay here."

Jason gave her a look, but nodded and A.J. leapt onto the back of the motorcycle.

*

It was the most pain I had ever suffered. The most blood I had ever lost. I woke up to find myself in the emergency room of a hospital. One of those mouth things that give you air was covering my mouth and nose, tubes were stuck every which way in me, and when I looked at my skin, I was pure white. This definitely wasn't how I was planning on spending my day.

A long, long time later, what seemed like hours, Sonny came in.

I looked over at him and frowned. "Hey." I whispered, my fingertips curling. I wanted to hold his hand so badly…he had said he cared about me; I wanted him to comfort me now.

He smiled faintly at me, and looked at my hands. His fingers slowly crawled over to my hand, and he slipped his warm hand into my frozen one. "You'll be ok, they just said that you need a donor for some blood. And they don't think you should go back to work."

I winced and closed my eyes. Asuka wouldn't like that. "I'm sorry I'm so much trouble to you," I whispered.

He shook his head and gripped my hand slightly tighter. "You're no trouble at all, really. I knew this would happen one day,"

I blinked and turned to him. "You did?"

"Yeah. Living with me, and all. It tends to happen to the people I love if I don't agree to something."

I blinked. Love? Did he just say love? I couldn't handle it anymore; I had to tell him. "Sonny, I have to tell you something."

"Wait…" he said quickly. "I, we wanted to tell you something." He looked over his shoulder and Carly came in.

"Yeah?" I asked quietly, taking my time to breath.

"We want to adopt you, as our own. As a Corinthos." Sonny whispered.

I blinked something fierce. "A…adopt?" I whispered.

It was true that just a few weeks ago my true family had abandoned me, and my stepfamily wasn't really my family at all.

Now how could I tell them? How could I tell them that I was a secret spy for the Yakuza? For Asuka?

Sonny would be so mad…disappointed even.

There came a snarl, and both Sonny and Carly turned to see Asuka standing in the doorway.

"Asuka!" I gasped.

Sonny's eyes narrowed and he pushed Carly behind him as he stood up. "What are you doing here?"

She frowned at him and pushed him away from my side. She glared at him and looked down at me. "Hmm. I heard what happened, but I didn't believe it. But here you are, on your deathbed. Because of a stupid boy."

My eyes flared. "Asuka, please! I didn't know what was going on!" I could tell she wanted to slap me, and she was about to, too. But I put my arm up quickly and gripped her arm. "Asuka, listen…"

There was a click, and all eyes turned to the doorway. Jason was leveling a gun to Asuka's head.

"NO!" I screamed, and pulled Asuka down, and hard, on top of me.

The shot went off, and smashed into the wall.

"You idiot!" I yelled at Jason as I let Asuka go. "What are you doing?!"

"That's Asuka! Don't you even know her? She's the leader of the Yakuza!"

"Duh I know that, dimwit!" I yelled, rolling my eyes.

Asuka flared at the boy. "Who are you? And Sonny, how do you know Caspian?"

"I know Caspian because she lives with me." Sonny said sharply.

"And you're about to adopt her? Do you even know what she does for a living?" Asuka asked with the most humor in her voice.

"What are you talking about?" Carly asked.

"No! Asuka, please, don't!" I snapped, tugging on her arm.

She threw my arm off her and punched me, hard.

I grunted and turned sharply in the bed.

"Leave Caspian alone!" Jason yelled.

She glared at him. "She's my spy. My paid assassin, you fool." She turned to Sonny.

"What are you talking about?" Sonny flared.

"I pay her to kill people for me. Haven't you heard of CCS?!" Sonny nodded. "That's Caspian! Caspian Catalyst Shizuko, smart one!"

Sonny blinked. "She…she works for you?"

"Yeah!" Asuka nodded firmly.

Sonny turned his eyes to look at me.