Fan Fiction ❯ Mock Me Not ❯ "He's Back." ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Raven coughed as she stepped out of the fire place, brushing soot off her black traveling robes and muttering under her breath.
“Glad you could join us, Miss Cartson.” A voice rang out, bouncing off the walls of the large room.
She looked up and saw none other then head master Dumbledor of the Hogwarts school. Raven smirked a little and bowed in mocking respect.
“It...was my honor, Headmaster--” She started to speak, but was cut off quickly.
“Ah, enough with the formal introductions--” Raven cut him off in turn with a quick, brisk response.
“I only assumed it would be appropriate because you welcomed me using my last name. But, if you insist. It was my honor. Dumbledor.” She gave a small nod of her head towards a man sitting in a large chair.
The room went silent as she remained standing there, her arms crossed and gaze narrowed on the old man.
He had a white beard that was fairly long and wore gray robes with a small, what appeared to be to her, a nightgown cap. Half-moon spectacles perched upon the bridge of his nose. His face looked worn with wrinkles under his eyes, indicating that he was tired.
Finally, Raven decided that the room went silent because she was still standing. Letting out a small grunt, she dragged herself to a chair next to a woman who was dressed in dark green and black robes with a pointed witch hat perched upon her head. Strands of grayish white hair escaped from under the lopsided hat that threatened to fall off at any given moment.
Still, Silence.
After a few minutes, Raven let out an exaggerated sigh and spoke out in an annoyed voice.
“What are we waiting for? The end of the world? You-know-who? A Cataclysm?!”
“Hush!” The woman, Professor 'Mac' (so raven has come to call her), sitting next to Raven hissed, turning her cold gaze on her as she used one finger to push her glasses up to rest comfortable on her nose.
Raven sighed, staring at her Prof. Mac for a moment, before leaning forwards a little.
“What are you doing?” The woman asked, alarmed by how close she was to her.
“Looking at my reflection.” Raven said in a distracted voice, running a hand through her long, silver hair as she peered at Prof. Mac's glasses.
The woman glared at her and turned her head away, Raven simply grinned and turned her gaze upon the room.
Looking around, she finally took notice of how many were absent.
This was, after all, a meeting for those who're involved in the Order of the Phoenix.
“4 people.” Raven said, aloud.
Dumbledor nodded gravely, “Yes. I'm quite worried. The others should have been here by now...”
She glanced over at the headmaster and quirked an eyebrow as he leaned forwards in his chair for a moment, before slumping back and sighing.
“They'll come eventually.” She said in a soft, quiet voice as she brought her gaze to the fireplace, then the door, then to the other's who sat quietly.
Snape was here. Which caught Raven off guard. she stared at him for a moment, before realizing that he was staring right back at her.
He had that look on his face that spoke his words better then he could have.
'Like what you see?' his expression seemed to say, which made Raven sneer and turn her head away, only to be facing a wall.
She felt his gaze still on her, which made her generally annoyed.
Suddenly, a knocking came from the door, and almost everyone jumped.
 
“It's me! Let me in! Quick!” A voice called, 'drenched' in urgency.
Raven quickly got up and swiftly made her way to the door, seeing as how no one was in any hurry to do so.
She opened the door, only to come face to face with Hagrid.
“The others?” He asked in a low voice.
“No show.” She responded coolly, stepping aside and letting him in.
“This isn't good.”
“Whats wrong?” Dumbledor asked, sitting up in his seat, fully aware.
“You-know-who. He's back. It's been proved. And not by young Harry.”
The other few in the room sat up, some murmuring.
Raven quirk an eyebrow, “Oh?”
“Yes. Daily Prophet. All over the front page. Death Eaters. Their everywhere.”
She casted a look to Snape, and Snape nodded.
“Excuse us.” She spoke slowly, her eyes still on Snape, “Me and Snape need to talk.”
“Very well. We all need to relax for a bit...uhm...go to the kitchen, everyone. I'm sure we will be able to focus after a nice cup of tea...”
A few nods, and the room slowly emptied—Except, for Raven and Snape.
Raven remained standing, her body turned towards the door a little, yet her eyes on Snape who sat contently on the chair, his arms crossed and body slouched a little in the chair.
Finally, after a matter of minutes, the door closed, and finally, the two were alone.
“He's back.” Raven spoke in a soft voice, starting off the conversation.
“Yes, I know.”
“Why was I not aware of this?” She demanded.
“Did you not feel it?” Snape asked in a quiet, cool voice as he stood up, walking towards her.
She blinked, and winced when he grabbed her right wrist and yanked up her sleeve, revealing the tattoo inked on her arm.
She looked down at it through half lidded eyes.
“No, i did not feel it...” She whisper softly as Snape relaxes his grip on her arm a little.
Silence hung between them as Snape releases her wrist and just stared at her—and Raven avoided his gaze.
“Don't lie to me, Raven...” He whispered in a cold voice, “I saw you there.”
“I was curious.”
“You were being loyal.”
“I don't mean to be--”
“Then why did you go--?”
“Why did you?” She finally snapped at him briskly.
Silence once again.
“Because, unlike you, I'm a spy for this order...” He said simply, narrowing his gaze on her.
She shift a little.
“I can be a spy, given the chance...”
Snape sighed at a particular note in her voice.
It seemed like years ago to Raven, when it was really months. She asked Dumbledor if she could play a big part in this Order. But she was denied. He said it was too dangerous, not only for the order, but for her. She hated how Snape was able to be a spy. She knew he was more loyal to the lord then herself...
yet...
Dumbledor chose him.
A sigh left her as she finally turned away from Snape.
Snape frowned, grabbing her wrist and squeezing it a little, which gave Raven a bit of a surprise.
She turned to him, quirking an eyebrow.
He simply smiled, “I know you would've been a good spy. But no one wants you to get hurt.” He whispered softly.
Raven was quite taken aback.
Ever since Raven and him were in Hogwarts, they never really liked each other. In fact, they both tried very hard to hate each other.
Except.
That one time when, fate have it be, Raven discovered she had a flicker of a feeling for him. Which, made her hate him more.
She didn't want to like him. She didn't mean to fall for his cocky attitude and catchy smirks--Silence, once again.
Finally, a cough broke the silence as she came back to reality.
Snape was heading for the door.
“You seem like you need time alone. To reflect...” He paused at the door, turning to look at her. He had that cold mask on again that he wore as if talking to someone he didn't know.
“I'll leave you alone. 'Ta.” He waved his hand dismissively and turned, walking through the door and up the stairs.
When the door made a distinctive click, Raven turned and walked to a chair, sitting down and closing her eyes.
Just the way he looked at her brought back memories of her 6th year which was by far the hardest—and strangest—year for her....especially on the train, which is where it all began.