Fan Fiction ❯ Mortal Gods ❯ Capter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 1

The sound of soldiers running in their heavy armors filled of what used to be a still air. It was raining heavily outside and the evidence was the countless of trickling water pouring down the stone wall. It had rained all day. The local sorcerers thought of it as a bad omen. And just earlier, a crazed mad man kept screaming about the awakening of chaos upon the world. Apocalypse, this was what soldiers kept whispering as they pace heavily through the stone covered halls.

Clearly the day had not been a fine one. Even for the soldier guarding a certain room, it had been a very stressful day. Following the awakening of a certain person it the room. The steel plated soldier kept a close watch at the person in the room. The room was more of a cell really. And the person inside, no, the creature inside has awakened from long slumber. Or at least it was what it looked like. It was now sitting up and breathing heavily. It kept it’s eyes close however.

How did I ever get into this predicament?” The soldier reflected.

The ‘creature’ the cell kept was no more than a young man. With an unusual silver colored hair down to his neck. His age looked like at least 16. He had a pale body. He was not muscular in any way. His body was covered in filth. But the thing that surprised the soldier the most was the enormous chains holding the kid. He was chained up on his neck, both his wrists and ankles. How could this boy pose such a threat? You could almost pity the young man. He could not have done any wrong, could he? And what is that weird symbol just below his neck?

The soldier examined the poor boy’s face. It was the most angelic face he had seen. So why? How could this kid ever establish a great threat to the royal army? The soldier had just signed up when he was immediately sent to watch this boy. It has been 2 years since he first laid eyes on the boy but this was the first time he actually moved.

What could have happened to this kid that made him sleep this long?” the soldier thought.

Questions kept ringing in the soldier’s mind. Nobody had the answers of course. Everything was confidential. Even for a person inside.

The soldiers thought were cut when the chief of the place crept in the lobby through a small metal door at the end of the lobby he was in. The chief was soaked wet when he entered.

“Sir!” scuffed the guard as he stood up in salute.

“How is our guest?” the chief asked as he removed his helm and place it under his arm.

“He has awakened but doesn’t do much.” The guard reported.

“Good work lieutenant, we shall deal with this matter soon.” The chief instructed as he moved to the next room.

The soldier then sat back down but then suddenly, a very sharp pain shot through his head. It kept getting stronger and stronger. He clinched his head trying to bear the pain but it was too much. He suddenly collapsed. Not knowing what caused it.

Just then, the door in which the chief entered opened and a company of three walked in. At the left was a muscular person. Quite huge for a human. He was the tallest of all three and had brown hair. His beard was not particularly long but was all around his face. He was wearing a warrior’s chain mail that is covered by webs of water and has a broad sword resting on his shoulder.

The person in the right was a complete opposite. He was skinny. He had jet black hair. The man however, was very crafty as he made notice not to make a single sound as he entered. The man was very tidy too as he kept shaking off his shoe from red mud. He had no weapons at hand. He wore a dark robe that was dripping wet. What was unusual for this person however was that he was smiling. He was smiling for no reason at all. Which is kind off creepy if you think about it.

The third person which was in the middle of the group was nothing but an old man. Wrinkles and all. He wore a brown robe and stood up with the help of a staff.
The man held a weary face. This was visible even through his white silky facial hair.
What was remarkable was that he was dry. If they came outside, he would have to be wet like his two companions.

“Hey old man, isn’t it unfair you dried yourself?” the skinny guy protested.

“I do not take much comfort in being wet. And stop calling me old man, Vincent, I am still 277.” The weary man countered.

“Hey you two. Let’s get this over with. I hate this underground military holds. Brings back – uncomfortable memories.” The muscle said.

All three went to in front the cell and started examining the area. Vincent then got his eye caught by a figure in the dark corner in the hold.

“Sagath, that doesn’t happen to be him?” Vincent inquired as he point to the captive.

“Yes.” The old man replied.

“I think I can easily break this lock” the giant reported as he closely examines the door lock.

The man then took a firm grip of his sword and trust in into the lock swinging the door open. And with a deep sense of achievement drew back to let the others enter. The slender man immediately went in the cell and proceeds towards the occupant followed by the rest. Then the three of them stopped as they saw the young man in full detail.

“But he is just a boy. Doesn’t even have his whiskers.” The huge man complained.

“You know, I have to agree with Rion this time. And what is up with the chains? Are you sure he’s the one?” Vincent added.

“Yes, look at the sign on his chest.” Sagath pointed.


---------------------------------------------------- --

“Wake up, kid, wake up.” He could just barely hear these words. It kept ringing in his head. Like a throbbing headache it was. He never felt pain like this. It was excruciating.
He couldn’t take it anymore, he immediately opened his eyes. And he saw the sky. The sun has just risen and the busy streets of this usual trading town have just started rambling. Day sky was perfectly blue and clear. Not a cloud in the sky. He could feel the grass under his skin. The refreshing east wind at his face.

Then, as if by instinct, he rose up from where he lay and looked around. He was on some hill overlooking a city. He turned around to see 3 men sitting around a campfire apparently half asleep. But suddenly, one of them spoke to the other two. The others soon woken fully and darted a look at him before throwing on a pan and some meat.

“Ahh breakfast. The only thing that keeps me up in the morning.” A huge bearded man bellowed.

“Unfortunately for us, YOU are the one who keeps us up in the morning.” An old man just across him responded.

“Well, that’s good right?” asked the giant.

“Not if its way before the crack of dawn” the dark suited man in the middle elaborated.

“Well, looks like our little friend has finally woken up.” Rion immediately broke the discussion.

The three of them then observed him deeply. He wondered weather he should run or not. But something in him is trying to say that these people are good. He looked down to where he stood. All he saw was clean green grass. But then, something caught his eye. There were still these huge cufflinks around his ankles. His eyes widened. He then lifted his arms up and saddened to see the same kind around his wrist. He remembered it now. It was sometime last night. They came to his cell. And when the old man came to him there was a huge blinding light. When the light had gone, so were the chains. But the old man grew aggravated to see that the cufflinks were not. He started mumbling something about Maltic iron. The boy immediately started pushing the cufflinks out. Struggling to keep his balance at the same time.

Sagath saw this and was distraught for the boy. The thing could never be removed. How could he tell this boy that it will be with him forever? That there is no possible way to cut through that steel? Maybe he should tell him something else. Wait, he hasn’t introduced themselves to him. That would keep him from thinking about it.

“Good Mo----“ Sagath was cut off by Rion’s voice.

“That’s Maltic Steel boy. Strongest iron on Gorath. There’s no way you can break it.” Rion announced with a proud tone.

What!? You mean, I’m chained up forever? Like a dog? NO!” the kid thought as he halted his meager attempt to break the cufflinks.

The boy wondered if this is really true. That it will never break. He glared at the person who seemed wisest of them three. He looked into the eyes of that old man. He wanted an answer and he somehow felt he knew.

Sagath felt this look he was given. Should he tell the boy the truth? That when he thought he was free he was really still a chained animal? How could he. Sagath didn’t want to but the boy wanted an answer. Very well, he would tell him the truth.

But suddenly, a huge growl came from somewhere. Vincent and Rion sprang up scouting the area. Then, a second growl came.

“Dammit. Wer’s it commin’ from!?” the beard man demanded.

“More importantly, what animal is it?” Vincent added.The little fellow however ignored the oddly familiar sound. He wanted an answer and he wanted it badly. He kept his gaze at the man who, was apparently about to break out into laughter.

“HAHAHAHAHA!!!” the old man snorted.

“Why are you laughing Sagath? What’s so funny? The slender man asked as he relaxed realizing there would be no danger from here on.

“That’s no creature that’s growling” Sagath explained.

“What then?” Rion asked in a temper mental tone.

“The kid’s stomach! Hahahaha…!” Sagath exclaimed as he pointed to the boy.

Another growl came and it really did come from the boy’s stomach. As soon as the company realized this, they began laughing to heart’s content. Apparently, the boy is hungry. And he kept massaging his belly to cover his embarrassment.

It took a while for the racket to settle and as soon as it did, Rion took a burning piece of bacon and tossed it towards the kid.

“Eat up.” Sagath said and added; “Have they been feeding you there at that cooped up place?”

The boy caught the piece of meat by one hand and looked at Sagath then shook his head in answer to his question. Then, he started shredding the meat with his teeth and took no notice of the three people staring in amazement. The boy was clearly hungry and there was no question about it.

“What!? They haven’t fed you anything?” Vincent questioned in shock.

The three looked down in guilt. The other night they have feasted to themselves with no thought about waking the young boy for supper. And here he was devouring every last morsel of bacon he could have. Vincent took up his plate and filled it with as much bacon and bread it could possibly hold and walked up to the boy.

“Here, don’t be shy. We three cant finish the whole meal so you do it. Finish it all up okay?” Vincent said as he handed down the plate.

The boy slowly grabbed the plate and shooked his head. After which he resumed to devouring his food.

“Sagath, does this boy speak? I haven’t even heard a whimper from him.” Rion interrogated as he retreated back to his spot in the camp.

“Oh yes, definitely.” Sagath replied while cleaning up the area.

Vincent then turned towards Sagath and added; “Then why doesn’t he speak?”

Sagath took a glance at the boy then resumed to his tent as he said; “Because he has nothing to say.”

Rion and Vincent were confused by the answer but decided not to press on much further. Vincent started to creep towards his tent. Rion was about to walk top his when he remembered something. He turned towards the boy and said;

“Boy, what is you name?” he asked.

By this question Vincent stuck his head out of the tent waiting for the reply. Sagath too was curios of this and came out of his place.

The kid regretfully stopped his happy gorge and cleared his mouth. He took a peep at Rion and briskly replied;

“Damiel”


-----------------------------------------

“What!? You let that abomination get away!?” bellowed the man in purple.

The voice echoed through the hall. The place was a huge hall. Draped with the finest red and yellow tapestry gold can acquire. In the end of the hall was a massive red door guarded by two steel plated soldiers. The were also two soldiers in each corner of the hall. Opposite to the door was a throne of gold. And connecting these was a long blue carpet. To the left of the throne was a small opening to another room. The hall was spacious with no furniture but the small table a few feet from the only chair in the room.
On the table was a map lighted by a faint light from behind the throne.

“My lord, there were three of them.” Reported the soldier.

“Yes, there were only three. And against my whole army, you couldn’t stop them!?” the king growled.

The news of the break out in the underground military jail had reached the king only a few day after and it had come to be very vexing to him.

“Uncle, why do you care so much for the capture of that little mongrel?” a young man about the age of 20 asked.

That ‘little mongrel’ was responsible for the magic leak incident 3 years ago.” Answered the king.

“We are very sorry my lord. It will not happen again.” Interrupted the soldier in kneeling.

“I sure will not. Soldier, you have put me in a bad mood. Find me someone to blame it on. Execute someone, anything to fix my mood.” The king demanded.

“Yes sir,” the soldier replied slightly confused by the strange request. He then retreated to the opposite side of the hall towards the door. But before he could get out, a voice called out to him from behind. He turned around to find the queen who was lurking behind the king.

“Ignore that last command squire.” Spoke the lady in a very soft and calming voice.

“Yes your majesty.” Answered the man who was relieved to hear that for he didn’t know how to explain this to the people. At once he went out the door.

“Ovelia, your meddling in my business is making me look like bad amongst the others. Why do you always go against my wishes?” The king questioned with a voice quite relaxed than before.


“Why don’t you first think of your own kingdom instead of what those snobby fat allies you have, besides, I don’t go against ALL your wishes. Only those that seem rather stupid.” Retorted the queen.

With this statement the king’s eyes widened. If it had been any other person that had said such atrocity to the royalty, then he’s had would have been in a bucket for the dog’s supper but it had been Queen Ovelia herself. This was the reason why the soldiers posted around the corners if the wall. They grew to the pestering of the queen and knew the king would tolerate her actions for he loved her too well.

The king sighed. He didn’t bother to turn towards her as he spoke;
“If you do not approve of my decisions, why don’t you go and rule your little Corinth? After all, I am not the only person you enjoy annoying right?”

“If it pleases you my lord.” The queen’s voice filled with sarcasm.

To this, the king whispered to his niece at his right who apparently was ignoring the couple’s argument.

“You see boy, I have spoiled her.”

“Quite so, uncle.” The young man answered back as he turns around and walks towards the window wall at the rear of the throne.

“You men and your stupid thinking.” The majesty said as she entered into the next room to the left.

“Uncle, I am more interested about that kid with the mark on his chest.”

“What of it?” the king asked in a more serious tone.

“Was it the incident that killed ten Morgaths and–“ the prince asked but intervened by his uncle.

“Yes.”

“You mean that the boy was powerful enough to do those things? I mean, Morgaths are hard to kill and those of the royalty is even harder.” The prince said in a curious tone while peering into the window observing the peasants doing their jobs.

“Yes, I know. But it is the truth Gelrod. There’s something about the boy that makes me very curious about him. Almost like an aura. A very powerful one.” Replied the king.

“And because of this you had to hire your best of your smithies to make a Maltic cuffs? The rarest metal of all Gorath.” Interrogated Gelrod.

“Yes, and I should have made the chains of maltic too. If only I had known that these cults were after him.” The king answered in a regretful tone.

“So it seems that your sources have failed you. And more than once if I may say.” The prince judged.

“What are you implying?” the king raised.

“My father once taught me, when your information is rusty, so is your kingdom.” Gelrod lectured.

“Indeed a son of my brother you are!” the king chuckled.

“Uncle, this is no time for gagging around. We have to make proper actions on this matter.” The young man posed.

“Then what would you have me do?” the king asked; quite interested by the kid’s sudden interest in these affaires.

“Get Volroks.” The kid answered.

“Volroks? My boy, these kinds are hard to come by.” The king objected.

“Even so, with information precise enough, you can grasp your enemies with your left hand and your kingdom’s loyalty with your right.” Lectured once again by the prince.

“Good one. And quite true if I may say so myself. Did your father teach you this too?” the king said; baffled by the prince’s intellect.

The boy didn’t reply. He was distracted by an amusing scene of a farmer trying to catch a lose chicken and loosing to it.

“Gelrod?”

“No, I thought of it myself.” He replied now ignoring the outside scene and walking towards the king’s table.

“Moving on, can you make a suggestion on the other concern? The one about the ‘mongrel’.” The king asked.

“Not to intrude or anything, but if I were in your shoes, hunt him down with a squadron of your army and if the king approves, I shall lead the hunt my self.” Gelrod suggested as he observed the map.

“A good idea! Okay, I approve, but I must ask. Why lead it yourself?” the king inquired.

“It’s personal you see. He’s caused me something I can never get back. Oh by the way, send an urgent message to all you allies. From the looks of things, these people are at Lorid. Post a bounty perhaps, anything to capture that boy.” The prince answered as he pointed on the map on the king’s table.

“I see all my teachings have not been of vain. You’ve grown to an intelligent man. Very well, I will do what you ask of me. And when will you leave?” the king asked for the last time.

“At the break of dawn tomorrow.” Gelrod ended.

=================================

I will need reviews to have energy to continue.