Fan Fiction ❯ Night Duchess ❯ Deals ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Night Duchess Issue 3

Deals

1260-Russia

{Scene: Late Evening. Shura and Rustam reach the castle, which is still in ruins, still burning, still covered with dead bodies. Shura approaches the tree where her family is hanging.}

Shura: "I planted this tree with my uncle," she said. "My uncle was so kind…who would do something like this?"

Rustle. Rustle.

{A rustle in the bush alerts them. Rustam unsheathes is sword and walks to the noise}

Shura: "No!" {She holds her hand out to Rustam.} "It's not the enemy."

{Igor, beaten and pale limps to them. He is holding his side.}

Rustam: "Who is that? Your Aleksei?"

Shura: "My cousin." {She approaches him as he falls down.} "Igor, you're hurt! Who did this to you?"

Igor: "He betrayed us. Traitor--traitor! Shura, you must leave this place! You will be next. He doesn't want anyone to rule Russia."

Shura: "Igor, I don't understand. What happened to you? You're not making any sense."

Igor: "I tried to stop him. I tried. He kidnapped children. He was like a demon."

Rustam: "He's gone insane."

Shura: "What ever happened here would make anyone lose their mind. Igor, you'll be all right. Rustam came to help. Where's Aleksei? I know one of the enemy is still here."

Igor: "Because they were waiting for you to return. They don't know I'm still alive. I left after what--what he did to me."

Shura: "Who did what to you?"

Igor: "It's only a matter of time until I see my father again. I can't go on."

Shura: "Don't talk like that, Igor! You have to rule now."

Igor: "No, you do." {He takes off his ring and slides it on her left finger} "They tried to take this from father, but they couldn't. Only one of royal blood can wear it. They didn't know that. You have the medallion and ring now. My home is in ruins, but it can be rebuilt. We have a new leader now, and that is you."

Shura: "I'm not taking your place!"

Igor: "You have no choice, cousin."

{Shura touches his head. He has a high fever, but she refuses to believe him.}

Shura: "Stay here. I'm going inside for Aleksei. We'll find out who did this. Then you can rule."

Igor: "It may already be too late."

Shura: "Please, hold on, cousin."

{Rustam looks Igor over. He has survived whatever happened to him but his life was fading away fast. There was no hope for him. Igor's breathing becomes complicated. A vision of Aleksei shows up in Alsekandra's head and she runs inside, leaving Rustam, Igor and Shadow outside.)

Rustam: "Duchess, wait!" {He starts to leave but Igor tugs on his sleeve.}

Igor: "I don't know you, soldier, but watch over my cousin. I'm afraid my best friend Aleksei is already dead and I'm about to join him."

{Rustam takes his flask and hands it to Igor.}

Rustam: "Drink this, your highness. Please try to hold on. We will be right back."

{He goes after Shura and Shadow licks Igor's ear before leaving. Igor concentrates on breathing and drinks the water while he is propped up against the wall of the fortress.}

Shura: " Aleksei!"

Rustam: "Be careful. What are you doing?"

Shura: "I saw him. He's in here somewhere I know it!"

(She enters the room where instincts told her to go and she finds Aleksei, alive, but not alone. Someone is restraining him. She gasps, hearing a sick stabbing sound and Aleksei is dropped to the ground and perishes.)

Shura: "Aleksei, no! You monster! You've killed him! You've killed everyone!"

Aleksei's killer: "Everyone? I haven't killed you yet!"

(Shadow jumps to the killer, making his weapon fall to the ground. Shadow holds him to the ground and growls. The killer remains still in shock.)

Shura: "I demand that you tell me who is behind this! Now! Who is responsible for all this? Answer me!"

Aleksei's Killer: "You believe you can stop the all-powerful Gennadiy?"

Shura: "That name…"

Rustam: "Where is this Gennadiy? Tell me now before I let my wolf devour you!"

Aleksei's Killer: "I'm not saying anything."

Shura: "We don't need you to tell us where we can find him! We will find him soon, tonight even!"

Aleksei's Killer: "Ha-ha. Pitiful girl."

(Shura clenches her fist and turns.)

Shura: "Kill him. I want to get my parents and uncle down. My cousin needs treatment."

Aleksei's killer: "Ah, so the young emperor to be survived his torture?"

(Rustam gives Shadow the sign to finish the enemy. He screams as Shura steps outside with Rustam.}

Shura: "Igor? Are you all right?" {she comes to where he was sitting. She touches him but he doesn't respond.} "Igor? Igor?"

{The flask is held loosely in his hand. The water he tried to drink is sliding down the corner of his mouth. He died trying to treat himself.}

Shura: "No! Not you too! You were so excited about being emperor! I don't believe this! Igor, you fool!" {She slams her fist into the grass and cries. Rustam comes to console her but she throws her arm out in front of him. She rises to her feet.}

Shura: "Everyone is dead! My uncle's home is in ruins! My cousin won't be emperor and I'll have to rule in his place. It's not right!"

Rutam: "I'm very sorry, duchess."

Shura: {looks to her cousin and her family who is hanging in the tree} "I helped my uncle plant this tree. Rustam, help me give my family a proper burial and then we will seek justice for what this Gennadiy has done. Tonight."

Rustam: "We don't need to do this now, Duchess. Let's do it when you are ready. As soon as we finish burying the rest of the perished we will return to the tavern so you can rest."

Shura: "I don't want to wait. There are children missing. He's taken them. Didn't you hear what my cousin said? He was tortured and for all we know this monster might torture them too! We must save the children! Don't you see? I can't wait!"

Rustam: "But how are we supposed to find them?"

Shura: "I will know soon."

Rustam: "How?"

Shura: "Trust me. I will find him soon. It always happens when I don't expect it."

Rustam: "What does?"

Shura: "The visions. They come and I can't stop them. I will get a vision of where Gennadiy is. The name is so familiar. He has to be someone my uncle knew. Maybe even loved. Igor said he was a traitor."

Rustam: "I don't understand, duchess."

Shura: "I can't explain it, but I will get one. Soon. Very soon."

{They finish the task of burying the dead and return to the tavern. Shura paces the room, unable to sleep. She waits for a vision, a sign, anything.}

Barmaid: "You must get some sleep."

Shura: "I know, but I must get justice first. Children's lives are at stake. I can't rest."

Barmaid: "Perhaps this tea will set you at ease."

Shura: "Thank you." (She accepts the tea)

Barmaid (sadly): "You remind me of my daughter."

Shura: "Hmm?"

(Shura bites her lip and then touches the woman's hand. She sees her past with her daughter, who drowned).

Shura: "She drowned. I'm so sorry."

Barmaid (surprised): "How did you…?".

Shura: "I saw it by touching you. I can see a person's past when I touch them." (sighs) "I also get visions when I don't expect them. Mostly bad things that are about to happen.

Barmaid (smiling):"You have a gift, you know that don't you?"

Shura (disbelieving): "Gift? I don't see it that way."

Barmaid: "I understand. Everything you see isn't always so pleasant, is it?"

Shura: "No. I've seen a lot of bad things. Awful, terrible things."

Barmaid: "But you will learn to accept it one day. You'll understand that without your gift, you wouldn't know the things you do and perhaps people would get worse. What I mean dear is that you have a gift. You can see things that are about to happen. The only question is, what will you do with it?"

Shura: "I've wondered that many times."

Barmaid: "You should get some rest. You've been through quite an ordeal."

Shura: "I cannot rest. I am waiting for a sign. A vision."

Barmaid: "Maybe if you're rested, it will come to you."

Shura: "I believe some rest won't hurt."

Barmaid: "Good girl."

Shura: "What is your name?"

Barmaid: "Oh, I've never told you, have I?"

(Shura shakes her head.)

Barmaid: "Nina."

Shura: "Nina?"

(She nodded. Nina had gray hair she kept in a bun and had blue eyes. She wore a simple brown dress.)

Shura: "I'm Sh--"

Nina: "You don't need to introduce yourself. My dear, everyone knows who you are. Sleep well."

(Nina exits and Shura begins to dream about something that happened years ago about a man, a man who used to be her uncle's closet friend and comrade. But he was jealous of him and because of this, he turned traitor.)

Gennadiy: "Vladimir believes he can rule Russia, does he? We'll see about that." (He is wandering through the forest late and night. Gennadiy is a weak appearing man with blond hair that reaches his chin and he has gray eyes. He is short and thin. There is a deep hatred burning inside of him. It begins to rain and he runs into a cave for shelter. He is hurt and near death. A low, growl-like calls to him.)

Voice: "Welcome, mortal. What is it that you desire?"

Gennadiy: "Who's there? Who, who are you?"

Voice: "What is it that you desire? I can make it yours if you give me your soul in return."

Gennadiy: "My soul?"

Voice: "I am powerful. I can grant you anything you wish. I can make you powerful and bring all your enemies to your knees. Is that what you wish?"

Gennadiy: "Y-Yes. Yes! Make me powerful! I want to rule the world!"

(A black mist surrounds him, where the voice is coming from. It glows every time it speaks.)

Voice: "I will need to share your body to do this, mortal. Do we have a deal?"

Gennadiy (in a trance): "Yes, master. I am at your will."

(The mist enters his body and he grows a foot or so taller. His muscles bunch up and his eyes are glowing red. He laughs, but it is not his voice, it is the evil spirit inside of him. Now he is laughing in another castle, bigger and more fancy than Vladimir's. The maniacal laughter makes Shura wake up.)

Shura: "What? Gennadiy. I remember him! Uncle Vladimir's old friend, he's a traitor! And I know where he is!"

(She gets up and feels a little dizzy. She holds her head and things, not the room, but clothes and paintings are spinning around the room and floating. Her body began to fade in and out, like a sprit to a live body.)

Shura: "What's happening to me? Why do I feel so strange? How come everything is floating around?"

(An owl flies by her window and she gasps. Then she hears a voice, but it was in her head. Someone was communicating to her through telepathy. It was a woman's voice, but the way she spoke sounded stern.)

Woman's Voice: "Control it with your mind. It is you who is doing this."

Shura: "Who are you? How do you know it is me?"

Woman's Voice: "It is the power of the medallion. It can make you do anything your heart desires. Reach inside yourself, you can do it. You have the power. Now control it."

Shura: "What do you mean? Who are you?"

(She does not hear the voice again. Shura is alone. Now she needs to try and do what the voice told her.)

Shura: "All right. Control it. Right."

(She closes her eyes and concentrates on bringing the things back to where they belong. She just believes that everything was just to where they were before. She opens her eyes and she had done it. She grins.)

Shura: "I did it. I did it." (She looks at her medallion.) "It is magic!" (She clenches her fist) "Gennadiy, I will have justice for what you've done. You can't hide from me. I know where you live. I will hunt you down like the dog you are!"

(Shura opens her door and checks to see if the coast is clear. She creeps down the hall. Nina appears and clears her throat.)

Nina: "Ah-hem! What are you doing up!"

Shura (spinning around): "Nina! I was just…getting a drink."

(Nina cocks her head and folds her arms in disbelief)

Shura: "I got a vision. I know who killed my family. I'm going to save the children now."

Nina: "Not alone, you're not!"

Shura: "I have to do this!"

Nina: "You can't! You'll get hurt!"

Shura: "I have to. I need to do something. You told me I have my gift and I must use it. I'm the only one who knows where the children are. Is there a blacksmith in this town?"

Nina: "Yes, just next door in fact. I don't understand why when we don't have any warriors here."

Shura: "Well, you do now. Because starting today, I am one."

(She leaves the tavern to see the blacksmith. He is hammering a shield when she enters.)

Shura: "Hello, there. I'm surprised to see you open at this hour, sir."

Blacksmith: "Aw," the blacksmith said, "I'm open all hours of the night." Then he chuckled and leaned forward, "demons don't sleep, you know and warriors need weapons."

Shura (thinking): 'Demon? That's the word for that man who did this to my family. He's a demon, all right.'

Blacksmith: "But why would a young lass like you need a weapon? Your good looks are enough to kill!"

Shura "What would you have for me? I am the Duchess Aleksandra Nircov, and I'll pay anything for the best weapon."

Blacksmith: "Duchess Shura Nircov, eh? I've heard of you. My name's Artyom, but you can call me Tyoma."

Shura (nodding): "Pleasure, Tyoma."

Tyoma: "I might have something for you." (He eyes her medallion for a moment) "Come with me to the back and let's see what we can find."

(Tyoma walks into the back and she follows him. There is many different weapons and armor all about. She comes across a crossbow and picked it up.)

Shura: "I like this crossbow. How much do you want for it?"

(Tyoma looks at the crossbow and snorts.)

Tyoma: "A crossbow for someone like yourself? You need something better than a crossbow, my dear. What will you do when you run out of arrows? I have something better than a crossbow."

Shura: "What?"

(Tyoma picks up a weapon resembling a scythe.)

Tyoma: "Aw, this would be excellent for someone like you. I've always wanted to sell it but I would only sell it to the right warrior. Perhaps, you are that warrior?"

(Shura takes a look at the weapon and gasps. Right under the scythe's blade is the same symbol on her medallion.)

Shura: "It matches my medallion!

Tyoma: "I see. That must be why it belongs to you. It's a very, very special weapon. I think it's enchanted."

Shura: "Enchanted?" 'So is my medallion. Is the scythe and my medallion one in the same?'

Tyoma: "Yes, it holds great powers. Here, hold it."

(She takes the weapon and indeed, she feels some unearthly energy inside her. It makes her believe that she could do anything.)

Shura: "It's perfect. I will trade you my medallion for exchange for the weapon."

Tyoma (holds out his hand in protest): "No. Your medallion is the reason I gave it to you. You may need both the medallion and the scythe. It's my pleasure, duchess. For you to be taking a weapon for me is an honor. The only payment I ask is that you use the weapon effectively for whatever purpose you came here tonight. If it needs to be sharpened, bring it by. No charge."

Shura: "Are you sure?"

Tyoma (nods) "you need a weapon and now you have one. But I am curious, duchess. Why did you need a weapon?"

Shura (eyes on the weapon): "Someone has killed my whole family and I want to make them pay."

Tyoma (smiling): "Just don't get yourself killed. I'd hate for the weapon to go to waste."

Shura: "Don't worry, sir. It won't."

Tyoma: "Good luck, Duchess Aleksandra."

Shura: "Thank you, Tyoma." (She leaves the blacksmith shop.)

(Noticing Shura's unusual and never-before-seen weapon, a young man went to the blacksmith and askes for a similar weapon to the one Shura just purchased.)

Tyoma: "Certainly. That'll be 12,000 gold pieces."

Man: "uh, never mind, just give me a dagger…."

(Shura prepares off to take care of this but Nina and Rustam stop her.)

Rustam: "You are not going without me."

Nina: "If you have to do this, let us help. I don't want you to do this without me doing something."

Shura: "What do you have in mind?"

Nina: "I have something that might help you."

(Nina took her back to the tavern and gave her tan tough leather boots with fur on the top, leather gloves, a cloak and a pair of red knee-length pants and a red V-neck lined with fur top without sleeves.)

Shura: "Nina, I---"

Nina: "Take it, it belonged to my daughter. She wore it all the time when she went out exploring. The cloak is magical and it will bring you luck."

Shura (nodding): "I understand, you just wanted to do--"

Shura and Nina: "Something."

{Shura puts the clothes on and meets Rustam outside. He is seated on a black stallion he had just bought. Shadow is next to the horse. Rustam helps Aleksandra mount.}

Nina: "Good luck!"

Rustam: "Have you been to this place before, Shura?"

Shura: "No."

Rustam: "Then how do you know where to go?"

Shura: "I just do."

{They reach a fortress. It smells like death. Shura led him up the castle. She looks up the tower.}

Rustam: "Should we knock or break open the door?"

Shura: "I've got a better idea."

{She takes his hand and she becomes transparent. She walks right through the wall as if it wasn't even there with Rustam behind her.}

Rustam: "How did you?"

Shura: "Shhh, come on. This way."

{Guards block their way.}

Guards: "What are you doing here?"

Shura: "Murderers!" {She teleports and attacks them. One falls to her feet and she kneels down to him. She yanks on his shirt.} "Where is he? Where is Gennadiy!?"

{The guard shakily pointed his finger down the hall.}

Shura: "Rustam, go find the children. I'll handle our friend."

Rustam: "Be careful, duchess."

Shura: "I'll be fine."

{She enters the room where Genadiy was. His hand picks up a goblet of wine, Vladimir's globlet. He is in a nice chair, surrounded by many of her uncle's belongings.}

Shura: "So, you thought you could hide from me, could you?"

{The chair turns around. Gennadiy sips from the goblet. He is dressed in royal apparel.}

Gennadiy: "Hmm? Do I know you?"

{Shura approaches him and pulls down her hood.}

Shura: "I'm the last heir to the throne. Duchess Aleksandra."

Gennadiy: "Ahh, the duchess. So you've survived. Welcome to my home. How were you able to find it?"

Shura: "I could smell your stench miles away!"

Gennadiy: "You've come to kill me, haven't you?"

Shura: "That's right."

Gennadiy: "It won't happen!"

{He picks up a dagger and cuts her cheek. She stumbles back and touches her cut. It heals. As he approaches her to cut her again, she restrains him with her scythe. He is pinned back into the chair and the wood of her weapon is right underneath his chin. A voice with in him speaks.}

Voice: "Kill her."

Shura: "What?" {she lets go of him}

Gennadiy: "I cannot."

Voice: "She is the next heir to the throne. You cannot have Vladimir's land if she is still alive. Kill her! Get the medallion!"

{Gennadiy gets up with his hands on his ears.}

Gennadiy: "This is my body! Leave me!"

Shura (thinking): 'Something is controlling him. An evil spirit.'

Gennadiy: "Help me, duchess. Kill me. You must make him leave my body. It's the only way. Do it!"

Voice: "What are you doing? Destroy her!"

Shura: "Evil spirit! Gennadiy's body does not belong to you! Leave him!" {She cuts Gennadiy across the chest. She hears another voice. It was the woman's voice she heard earlier that evening.}

Woman's voice: "Shura, use the medallion to draw the demon out."

Shura: "How do you know?"

Woman's voice: "Do it now."

{Shura takes off her medallion and holds it in front of Gennadiy's wound. The evil demon screams and the black mist float out. It snatches at her medallion but is unable to take it. The medallion glows and banishes the evil spirit.}

Evil spirit: "I shall return!"

{Gennadiy slumps to the ground and holds his wound.}

Gennadiy: "He was taking over my body. He was controlling my mind. I could not stop him. He made me kill Vladimir."

Shura: "Gennadiy, I must know what happened." {She approaches him and he tries to get away.} "Now, I am not going to hurt you. Just stay still."

{She puts her hands on both sides of his head and concentrates. She sees him standing in a cave, becoming one with the evil spirit she had seen in her dream. In his mind, she is standing next to him when he comes to raid the castle. Next, she is seeing everything through his eyes. He struggles with the evil spirit inside of him, but the clever and evil sprit talks him into killing everyone.

Evil spirit: "Now the boy."

Gennadiy: "But he is Vladimir's son. You didn't say anything about having to kill him.

Evil spirit: "He is the next heir to the throne. Eliminate him! Give me his energy!"

Igor tries to attack but to men restrain him. They stab his side with a metal hook and Genadiy's hand glows. The evil spirit takes over his body for a second and approaches Igor. Igor screams and his energy is drained away. But before the last ounce of his strength is taken, Gennadiy comes to stop the evil spirit for a moment and forces his hand to let go of Igor and removes the hook from his side. He falls to the ground and people kick him in the ribs.

Evil sprit: "Why did you let me stop?"

Genadiy: "That is enough. Let's move out. Vladimir is dead and the boy will die soon too."

Evil Sprit: "Ungratful mortal! I am sharing your body to make you stronger, but I will need the enegy of youth to do it.

Gennadiy: "Then we will get it from another source."

Evil sprit: "Very well. Give me children. All the children." Shura lets go of Gennadiy. She has seen enough.}

Sura: "That is why he wants the children. Why he tortured Igor."

Gennadiy: "He will be back. This is my fault for finding him and now he will rummage around for another body to share."

Shura: "If you didn't find them then another poor soul would have."

Gennadiy: "He filled my head with lies. It is true that I wanted your uncle's kingdom, but I didn't want him dead. Now I am weak without the evil spirit. He really has made me strong and I feel myself fading fast. Do me a favor, duchess and become empress of Russia, follow in your uncle's footsteps. I know I cannot measure up to his perfection. Only someone of his own flesh and blood can."

Shura: "I know. Go with God, Gennadiy."

{Gennadiy dies. Shura sighs and walks to the window. She wipes her cut and it is still bleeding. She will need stitches.}

Woman's voice: "You are more than just the Duchess Aleksandra. Use the medallion wisely."

Shura: "Who are you? How do you know me?"

Woman's voice: "You will know soon enough. The night is dangerous and now you are apart of it."

Shura: "I don't understand."

Woman's voice: "You are a warrior now."

{A wolf howls and an owl flies by the window. Shura gets down on her knees. Rustam walks inside.}

Rustam: "Are you all right, Shura?"

{She doesn't answer. She takes her weapon and cuts her hair so that is angled from the back to the front. The back is just under her ears and the front comes down her chin and her bangs are parted above her eyebrows. She closes her eyes and opens them again. They are no longer large and innocent looking. They are now small, narrow and threatening. The blood runs down her cheek. Shadow walks to her side. She pets him behind the ears.}

Rustam: "Shura, what is wrong? Your hair---"

Woman's voice (inside Shura's head): "You know what you have become."

Shura: "I am just fine, Rustam." {She stands up and shows her new, true self.} "But I am not Shura. I am the Night Duchess!"

To Be Continued. Copyright by Haley Dale