Fan Fiction ❯ Night ❯ Night ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Night by Katherine Ryan

Have you ever walked outside at night? I don't mean in a crowd or while the sky is dark or even if you were just going for a midnight jog. I mean have you ever gone out into the night, into the darkness and relative silence of the day and just stood, taking in all that there is and all that there isn't. Feeling the gathering dew under your feet and the coolness of the air and wondered, if I am here doing this, thinking I am alone, how many other are doing the same? Or you look up into the sky, be there moon, stars or clouds you see and wonder, what is beyond them, between them, around them, is there anything at all? Maybe one day somebody will come up with a decent answer that holds something more exciting than bacteria.

There are three classes of opinion to this. The first is the one that says, oh that's so true, the peacefulness of the situation, the deep thinking, the thought that we are so insignificant to the rest of the universe. The second would come as, why in the world are you standing outside in the dark? You could be mugged or raped or killed. The second opinion holds that the person who goes outside at night is a fool. Lastly there is the third opinion. This one is more, why? Why would you bother? What is the point? How does this help you? And if it doesn't, then it was a waste of your time.

But the person in the night would answer: Is there something wrong with me that I stand out here? Does it speak volumes of my character flaws? That I am a dreamer, a fool, a lost cause? Because if it does, I do not care. I just wish to stand and wonder on my own and let what imaginings I will, come to mind. Where no-one can interrupt me, no-one can tell me I am wrong, no-one can make me bend like a puppet to the rules and regulations of cultures and societies that I find restrictive.

I am the me that no-one else is or could ever be. The me that no-one else will ever understand. What I find in the night is mine and mine alone and no-one can take it from me.

This is what the person in the night would reply. Some would be turned or moved by this, others would roll their eyes and walk away. It is never understood until it is tried.

Have you ever walked in the night?