Fan Fiction ❯ Not Just a Crush ❯ Not just a crush... ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: Don't own it, just the actual content.
 
Dawn and Spike aren't just friends, they're real. Spike loves her like his little sister but Dawn, well - we all know she's complicated. So, this is just a piece explaining what she really feels for Spike.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------
Not Just A Crush…
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
Dawn Summers, sophomore at Sunnydale High, sat in geometry doodling little hearts in her notebook. The teacher was lecturing and she ought to take notes - but whatever.
 
`Spike & Dawn 4ever' read the little hearts. Dawn frowned down at them. Like that would ever be. She knew he loved Buffy, yet she'd been in love with him since the day they'd met.
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
Ten-year-old Dawn sat on the stairs, peering at the man she hadn't been able to take her eyes off of since he'd arrived through the bars. He'd walked in with her sister and - wow…She giggled softly. This was probably what Buffy meant when she'd talked about `crushes' in her diary.
 
The man had obviously heard her giggling and now looked deeply interested. He smirked, then his face changed into that of a demon's. His forehead grew ridges, eyebrows disappeared, eyes flashed yellow and fangs grew in place of incisor teeth. Her eyes widened.
 
“Wow…” She whispered with awe. “He's so beautiful.” The man had apparently not expected such a reaction. He immediately changed back and walked over to her.
 
“Hey luv, you wanna live forever?” She tilted her head to the side, confused.
 
“Why would I want that - I mean, think about it.” She explained. “You'd just keep getting older and older and your skin would get icky and you'd look like those old people and,” She shuddered. “It'd be gross.” The man laughed.
 
“ `Course nibbles, nobody'd want that.” She nodded. He raised an eyebrow at her. “It's midnight. I'm thinkin' you ought to be in bed, my little kitten.” Nodding as he smirked at her, Dawn hurried to bed - thinking about her new crush.
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
Bit it hadn't been just a crush. She'd fallen in love with him that night - Dawn knew that now. Just like she knew that he loved Buffy. She smiled bitterly.
 
`Just my luck - I fall in luck with a guy who's in love with my sister.' After all, he had gotten a soul for Buffy, hadn't he?
 
Yet, sometimes Dawn liked to pretend that maybe - just may be - a little bit of the soul was for her. But she knew it really wasn't. She frowned, remembering when he'd returned after being gone the entire summer.
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
“You sleep, don't you?” Dawn demanded, staring at the newly ensouled vampire through hurt eyes. He nodded in response, looking confused.
 
“Then remember,” Her voice was low, even. “If you hurt her - I can't fight you - but I can stake you in your sleep.” Spike looked shocked, obviously taken back at her sudden coldness towards him. He nodded then turned and walked away.
 
Dawn struggled to keep from breaking down. Didn't he understand? The `her' she didn't want him to hurt was herself. And her threat had absolutely nothing to do with Buffy whatsoever. What she didn't understand was how he could hurt her by just leaving her for an entire summer. But then again, he would never know of her love for him…
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
A single tear slid down her face, landing on the paper and effectively smudging the `Dawn' in `Spike & Dawn 4ever'. Dawn sniffled, eyes tearing up even more.
 
“Miss. Summer's, are you alright?” She looked up to see the teacher watching her with a worried expression.
 
“Huh? Oh no.” She shook her head, wiping her eyes and smiling painfully. “It's just allergies.” Accepting the answer, the teacher moved on.
 
Dawn quickly ripped the paper out and crumpled it up; she had no idea what she'd do if Buffy or anyone at all found it. She had to take notes so that she wouldn't fail tomorrow's test. Spike had promised her that he'd take her to the arcade if she got a seventy or higher.
 
And she'd be sure to get a hundred tomorrow. He'd be so proud of her and she'd take whatever she could get. She wasn't stupid as to try to `get over him'. She knew that what she felt for him was love…not just a crush.
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
This is very angsty, but then again Dawn usually is. Oh, by the way, there's this new feature called `reviewing', you ought to check it out. Just press the little button that says `submit review'.
 
~*SS4EVA*~