Fan Fiction ❯ Objective Legend: The Unknown ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The wondering group of Turks relaxed at a rather large table. Tseng and Reno sat by each other at one end of the table, while Danie sat between Axel and Felix on the other end. It had been about ten minutes since they got to the bar and still no sign of Rufus. The waitress finally came by with the group's drinks. She handed a cup of water to Felix, Danie, and Axel; while Reno and Tseng got some alcohol.
Soon, a group of two came onto a stage in the front. One held a bass in his hands while the other stood next to a keyboard that sat on a stand. Apparently, Axel knew them, for he got up and began to talk with them. However, the two Turks just ignored Axel. Danie watched the group on stage, as well as Felix. It wasn't long before they were in their places, and one more person came onto the stage and sat down behind the set of drums. Axel held the microphone and after a while, the person on the set began to start. Soon the bass joined, followed by the keyboard. Axel waited a few measures then began to sing, “Life it seems, will fade away…Drifting further everyday…Getting lost within myself…nothing matters no one else…I have lost the will to live…”
Danie listened to the song. She somehow recognized it. As Axel continued to sing the song, Danie was able to recall. Soon she began to softly sing along with the tune. Both Axel and Danie stayed in the same pitch, though at a different voice level. Axel looked over at Danie while he sung and saw as she followed along. “…Cannot stand this hell I feel…Emptiness is filling me…To the point of agony…Growing darkness taking dawn…I was me, but now he's gone…No one but me can save myself, but it's too late…Now I can't think, think why I should even try…Yesterday seems as though it never existed…Death Greets me warm, now I will just say goodbye.” The song finished. Axel took a deep breath before he began to speak.
“Well it looks like we have a singer in the audience. And here's a catch, I just met the girl today,” Axel joked. Danie slouched in the seat, a tad bit embarrassed. “Heh, don't be shy, Danie…Get up here,” he finished as he set the microphone down and stood next to Danie. Sneakily, Axel picked up Danie by the waist and set her down once she stood straight. He grabbed her by her wrist and dragged her on stage. Danie tried to go back to her seat but Axel wouldn't let her. He smiled as he put his arm around Danie in a buddy-like way. “Let's see…you knew the song I just sang… Do you know `Savior'?” Danie thought for a moment, “Skillet?”
“Now we're on the right track. Now start off the song, Ath,” Axel remarked as he handed another microphone over to Danie. She took it as the person on the bass began to play. The drummer also began to play along with the keyboardist after a few measures. It wasn't long before Axel started, and Danie joined in after a few words. “I'm everything you've wanted…I am the one who's haunting you…I am the eyes inside of you, stare back at you…There's nothing left to lose…There's nothing left to prove…Surrender your love is all you can do…”
At this time, Rufus crept his way into the bar. He leaned against a wall unnoticed by many. He had a strange feeling about Axel. Something just didn't seem right to him. Back on stage, however, Axel cutted off and let Danie sing the chorus. “What you got, what you want, what you need…Gonna be your savior… Everything's gonna crash and break…But I know, yeah I know…” He joined back in on the second part, “What you got, what you want, what you need…Gonna be your savior…Everything's gonna crash and break…Your savior…” Danie got over her embarrassment and now had a fun time up on stage. Little did she not know, nor mostly everyone in the building, that something was planned, and this was part of it.
As Axel continued to sing, he skimmed the room as well. His eyes laid on a group of five in the far back, and smirked. The group looked back at him with a “now” gesture. Musically, Axel shook his head no and continued. “…Don't hesitate, no escape, from secrets on the inside…I am the eyes inside staring back at you…you need me…What you got, what you want, what you need…Gonna be your savior… Everything's gonna crash and break…But I know, yeah I know… What you got, what you want, what you need… Gonna be your savior…Everything's gonna crash and break…Your savior…” The song finished and the music began to fade. Danie took a deep breath along with Axel.
Keeping the microphone away from his mouth, Axel whispered to Danie, “You're a good singer. Keep it up.” Danie nodded softly and smiled. Axel continued, “What other songs do you know out of curiosity?”
“It depends on the band. I know mostly all of the Linkin Park songs and…” Danie whispered back.
“Then `Breaking the Habit' it is,” Axel confirmed quietly. He put the microphone up to his mouth and informed the audience, “We have yet another song for you all. But it won't be sung by me, folks. Hehe…no. This young lady standing right next to me will sing it. Good luck...Oh yeah, the song is called `Breaking the Habit'.” Axel stood off to the side while the band began to play. Danie knew the tune to well.
After a few measures of instrumentals, she began to sing, “Memories consume, like opening the wound…I'm picking me apart again…You all assume, I'm safe here in my room, unless I try to start again…I don't want to be the one the battle always choose… 'Cause inside, I realize, that I'm the one confused…I don't know what's worth fighting for, or why I have to scream…I don't know why I instigate, and say what I don't mean… I don't know how I got this way, I know it's not alright…so I'm breaking the habit…breaking the habit, tonight…” There was a slight pause before Danie started again, “…Clutching my cure, I tightly lock the door, I try to catch my breath again… I hurt much more, then anytime before, I had no options left again…I don't want to be the one the battle always choose… `Cause inside, I realize, that I'm the one confused…I don't know what's worth fighting for, or why I have to scream…I don't know why I instigate, and say what I don't mean…I don't know how I got this way, I'll never be alright…So I'm breaking the habit…Breaking the habit, tonight…”
Axel looked back at the group in the far back. As they looked back at him, he nodded. The group of five began to stand and two began to walk to where Axel stood, while the other three hung out at the door. However, Rufus noticed Axel's nod. He knew something was up. He watch has two of the people from the group walking over. Silently Rufus moved behind Reno. The two Turks knew of his presence. Rufus kneeled down and spoke softly, “Something isn't exactly right. Draw your guns and prepare to fire. Just be careful not to shoot the young lady and the kid on the other side of this table. You may fire when you see our enemy.” He smirked. Only him and the Turks knew what he meant. Felix overheard but didn't even ask, as he was confused of what Rufus meant.
The two people whom came up to Axel began to chat with him as Danie continued the song. Danie faintly noticed this; she was too busy and caught only a glimpse of Axel and the two strangers. “…Cause I'm the one that falls…I'll never fight again…And this is how it ends…I don't know what's worth fighting for, or why I have to scream…But now I have some clarity, to show you what I mean…I don't know how I got this way, I'll never be alright…So I'm breaking the habit…Breaking the habit…Breaking the habit, tonight.” Danie finished. Her heart was pounding semi-hard, she breathed in quite heavily because she was out of breath, and she held a slight headache. Danie hoped that this was the last time she ever had to sing in front of people and that Axel didn't have any other songs left on his play list.
 
Danie looked behind her as the bass player laid down his bass and walked up to her. “Very nice voice. Didn't think he would pick random people like that out of the audience. By the way, the name's Athrin. And that's Kai Yeritz on the keyboard and Zell on the set,” he introduced. Danie kind of looked between Athrin and Kai in a funny way. She's heard those names before, just couldn't find the right answer. Kai held out his hand in a greeting form. Danie shook his hand and answered back, “The name's Danie.” Athrin stepped forward, directly in front of her within centimeters, and lowered his head to Danie's ear. “When I cue, run for it. Follow Kai, he'll show you where to go. Don't worry about anyone else but you.”
As he lifted up his head, Danie gave a questioning look with no idea what the heck he was talking about. However, Athrin only smiled and lipped, “You'll see.” He, Kai, the group down next to Axel, and Axel himself drew their guns. One, though, just held out his fists, ready to punch the heck out of someone. Kai grabbed Danie's wrist gently and slowly tugged her behind stage. Rufus and his Turks, however, already seemed to have noticed. Rufus altered his glance from Kai and Danie to Reno and Tseng. A small smirk came across his face and whispered, “I'll be right back. Remember about what I just said.” He stood up and followed Danie and Kai silently, without anyone noticing, drawing his rather large gun as well.
 
“Hey…Hey! What's going on?! Let go of me you-” Danie remarked a little louder then her normal voice.
“Excuse me miss. Please don't finish that sentence,” Kai replied in a joking matter, stopping in an alleyway just outside the bar. “I'll explain this when we get far away from this city. Right now, I beg you, please corporate with me. I'll answer any of your questions once we get out of sight of the ShinRa Corporation.”
“Whatever. As long as I know what the hell is going on here!”
“Okay, just follow me for now,” Kai answered. He and Danie began to make their way to the edge of the alley, when someone appeared and blocked their path. Kai gently pushed Danie behind him as he stopped to figure out who was in front of them. The barrel of the gun that the person was holding was raised to Kai's neck.
“You're taking my Turk from me, why?” the person asked sarcastically. Both Kai and Danie knew who he was, Rufus.
“Shit…I was afraid this would happen. Damn it Axel, you where supposed to take care of him,” Kai mumbled to himself, even though Danie overheard. He raised his voice and asked, “Might I ask why you are following, Rufus Shinra?”
“You're taking something from me, I have the right don't I?” Rufus continued.
“You know as well as I do what's going on. In my opinion, I'm not taking anything, you actually stole from us.”
“So up tight are we?”
“Someone please tell me what's going on here,” Danie whispered softly to Kai.
“I told you I'll explain later,” Kai answered back quietly in a low mumble. He slowly handed another small gun, from his side, behind him and into Danie's hands, without much notice. “I hope you know how to use it. Don't let it be seen,” Kai whispered again to her. His other gun was in his right hand, and he dared not to use it now; for it was within Rufus' sight. Danie stood behind Kai and took the gun he handed to her, keeping it behind his back, careful not to make any sudden movement. Rufus kept his gun up at Kai's throat.
There was no noticeable expression on Kai's face, as if he planned for this to happen this whole time. Danie simply looked as if she really didn't care about what was going on at the time. However, inside, everything confused her. She wanted to know what was going on badly, why these names were so familiar to her, and why she was dressed like she is now. Danie didn't want to wait for Kai to tell her all this; she wanted the answers now. However, she didn't even try to speak about it; just in case it would cost Kai's life, or even her own.
“Now, listen. Hand her over, or I'll decide to blow you and the girl's head off!” Rufus demanded vigorously. Danie's eyes widened at his remark and wondered how Kai would answer. Kai simply smiled with a small laugh. “What's so damn funny?!”
“See it didn't matter wither you had her or not. You would have killed her in one way or another. And besides if you did shoot me, you'd have a hell of a time standing on your two feet!” vociferated Kai.
“Would I now. Let's just see!” Rufus snapped. Right as he pulled the trigger, Kai moved Danie to the side, along with him, out of the way of the bullet. When Kai pushed Danie aside, he went a little harder then that he expected. Danie slammed backwards onto the ground, grabbing Kai in the process and bringing him down as well. Danie quickly stood. Kai sat up; only just to see the gun pointed at him. Rufus smiled with a sarcastic look. “I'm still standing on my two feet,” he remarked. Kai softly growled to himself, knowing it would be a miracle to get out of this.
A gun was just then shot, and Rufus jerked back. As he came to, standing straight up, his right shoulder was beginning to stain with blood. He had obviously been shot, but by whom? Kai turned around to see Danie aiming a half-loaded gun at Rufus. Rufus, as well, looked at Danie. “What…thought I couldn't use a gun?” she sarcastically asked with a smirk. “Care to try that again, Rufus? I've got plenty of ammunition left.”
“You little shit!” he remarked, aiming his gun back at her. As he readied, Danie stood in a stance ready to dash at a short notice. She knew that she got him mad, mad enough to kill her. It was probably a bad idea, but Danie didn't want to see Kai in pain.
“What are you waiting for? You want to shoot me, or somethin'?” Danie taunted, though she knew she shouldn't have.
“You're making a huge mistake,” Rufus answered. He answered her shot from earlier with a shot from his gun, clearly aimed right at her chest. Once Danie saw him pull the trigger, she moved over to the left. She missed the bullet where Rufus intentionally aimed for, but it still hit her; right into her upper left arm. She tried to shoot back, but the pain in her arm ceased her from doing so. Her right hand immediately went to the wound, letting the gun hang on her finger. “…fuck…” she mumbled.
“Damn it!” Kai sneered to himself. “That wasn't supposed to happen!”
“Hmm…who am I ever to kill first?” Rufus stated, rounding Kai and Danie who were back to back. There was a small click, affirming the two that Rufus' gun was loaded.
 
“Fade To Black” by Metallica, Ride the Lightning Album, 1984
“Savior” by Skillet, Collide Album, 2004
“Breaking the Habit” by Linkin Park, Meteora Album, 2003