Fan Fiction ❯ Objective Legend: The Unknown ❯ Chapter 10

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

After an hour, Kai and the others met back at the same spot. Him and Athrin were the only ones who made progress for the time being. They brought with them a young male who has claimed himself being magically transported to the world. Ignoring him for the time being, the group waited for Axel and Danie's arrival. “It's been an hour already and no word from the two,” Vincent remarked. “Cloud, where did you send them again?”
“I believe it was the mansion,” Cloud answered, almost questioning himself. Vincent didn't answer. Instead, he thought to himself about what Cloud just said. It then dawned on him- the Shinra Mansion, the basement, the crypt. In no time, Vincent was found running to the mansion Danie and Axel had entered and hour ago. The rest were not to far behind, however, Felix was instructed to take the newcomer back to the ship. “Vincent what gives?” Cloud asked, keeping up with him, or trying to.
“You idiot, did you not remember the crypt?” was all that Vincent answered. And right then, Cloud understood.
 
The guys stood off in one corner, the two girls in another, occasionally sparing glances back and forth. For some reason, the guys were making fun of Shade, while Danie whispered everything that had happened so far in Litta's ear. Between the two girls, there were sudden outbursts among themselves, like “What!” “Oh my gosh!” “No way!”. Soon it was quiet.
Eventually, Axel came up to Danie and pulled her aside, away from everyone and into a dark corner where they couldn't be seen. He wanted to talk to her, just not with everyone there. While the two wondered off, the other three engaged into a conversation. Angel and Shade talked, but Litta only listened and didn't respond. However, they got her to after awhile. After waiting for them to start a conversation, so that he, himself, and Danie couldn't be heard, Axel finally spoke, “Hey, listen. About what happened earlier between us…umm…” He began to hesitate, trying to find the right words. Deep inside he wanted to tell Danie his true feelings, but something was trying to not let it slip. “…It's just…I……It wasn't expecting to happen and all……”
Danie looked at him confused, which cued Axel to stop rambling. They stared into each other's eyes for a good moment in time. Danie could feel Axel's hand reaching hers and gripping it like there was no tomorrow. He continued, trying to get something off of his chest, “…Stop being afraid…we…I care for you…I mean we care for you…I wa…Oh, why can't I say things right!” During this time, Axel had moved himself closer to Danie. Maybe, as he thought, showing her would be better. They both sat down on a desk that was well hidden in the shadows. His hand still held Danie's as he scooted closer to the point where their bodies touched.
But to Axel's disappointment, the door to the room slammed wide open. The two teens moved away from the shadow to meet up with the others to see who just opened the door. Danie's hand slipped away from Axel's upon leaving the shadowed area. When they got in their group, the teens watched as a figure approached. “How did all you get locked in here?” the figured asked. The voice was easy to recognize for Danie and Axel- Kai. All the teens that were locked in, except for Axel himself, glared at Axel.
“Could have guessed that one,” Kai replied, noticing the sudden glares. “Come on lets get going.” Following him, they all left the crypt, the house, and returned to Cid's ship.
 
Everyone was in the conference room of the ship. Cloud was quite shocked. He only expected to find three more kids, not four. All of the teens sat at the table, while their guardians stood, and glanced at each other. Moreover, they all kept to themselves. Danie, on the other hand, was having trouble in her mind. Over and over, two thoughts replayed in her head: her dream and what happened earlier on the ship's deck. Apparently, her thoughts were bothering her too much, because she looked like she held a headache.
“Do you want me to help you to your room?” Axel asked in a whisper. Danie forgot that he was sitting next to her. She nodded in a negative response.
“No, I'm fine,” she mumbled back.
“Ok,” Cid interrupted, “Apparently there is an extra person in all this mess…when our legend says only eight.” Everyone looked at him as he spoke, and Danie regained herself. “Someone care to explain this if they know?” No one answered.
“Someone's odding out,” Athrin replied. “Someone has to be.”
“And who would that be?” Kai reinstated to correct him. “We all know each other in some way. No one's is on the outside circle.”
“How do we know?”
“Why don't we get to know each other first, before we start eliminating?” Felix suggested, as he wasn't in the mood for more arguing among the group.
“Sounds good to me. I guess I'll start,” Kai spoke up. “I'm Kai Yeritz. Currently nineteen, going on twenty in the month of September. And I'm from Tempe, Arizona.” He looked over to Axel, which cued him to go next.
“Name's Axel. I'm seventeen right now until December and I'm from Canada.”
“Athrin, sixteen, and I'm from Australia,” Athrin responded shortly after.
“I go by Danie. I'm fifteen right now, and I am also from Arizona like Kai.”
“I'm known as Felix, currently fourteen going on fifteen in a few months, and I am from Southern Canada.”
Each of the kids that spoke looked to the ones that haven't. There was about five minutes of silence before Angel spoke, “The name is Angel. I'm from Georgia and I'm nineteen years of age currently.” He nudged at Shade to go next.
“Shade, fifteen, Georgia,” he answered. The last two teens looked at each other after Shade spoke. Neither of them wanted to go next. However, Danie whispered to Litta, which changed their wishes, “Litta, you go.”
“Err…ok?” she mumbled back. She raised her voice a bit, though became even more shy, and continued, “I guess I'm next…umm….I'm from Arizona….and I'm sixteen, going on seventeen in a few months. And I go by Litta.”
“I think I am to go next then,” the newest teen replied, “I go by Phoenix, and I'm from the state of Wisconsin. My age currently is fourteen.”
“Great now that we know each other basically, what's next? Let Ansem go on to destroy the world?” Cid replied with sarcasm.
“And for those who can't guess,” Axel stated, “That's Cid…the other people you can probably guess rather quickly…I hope at least.”
“So we know now who we all are,” Danie interrupted, “And really, who cares? We have more important items of discussion at hand here. They should be issued right now, that's the whole point of us meeting here, no?”
“Point made,” Squall agreed.
“We know now that ShinRa is another one of are enemies, other than Ansem,” Cloud added on. “So not only are we to kill Ansem, but as well ShinRa.”
“At least make sure they don't get in the way,” Kai stated, “Right now, ShinRa isn't a threat compared to Ansem.”
“We can skip ShinRa,” Danie spoke, looking stern as she thought, “I'm sure of the fact that Ansem would be one of many reasons we should fear.”
“Highly doubt it,” Athrin added in. “Who else could get involved that is yet alive?” Danie remained quiet. She had preferred not to mention her dream currently.
“Moreover,” Axel came in, “Why do we have an extra person? Ansem even stated when Cloud and them met that there were only going to be eight people from our world, not nine.”
“Could have been that he wanted to find the ninth person,” Angel implied, “And use him or her against ourselves to win.”
“Again, highly doubt it,” Athrin commented. “He would more than likely remarked about it. Either it would have slipped by now, or he would have just plain told us.”
“One of us is here on accident,” Danie interrupted, concluding some thoughts, “One of us isn't really supposed to be here at all. It would have to be a close person though. As in same state, if not, same city.”
“But that can mean most of us,” Kai pointed out, “I mean: you, me, Litta. Or Angel and Shade. Possibly Axel and Felix. The only ones that wouldn't really count on that theory are Athrin and Phoenix.”
“But notice how most of us are in pairs,” Danie came back. “To be honest…it's one of us, Kai. Either me…you…or even Litta.”
“My guess is Litta,” Axel stated. “Think about it, we all know each other from the site. She's the only one who hasn't been registered there. And I'm aware of the fact that she knows very few of us.”
“I must agree,” Athrin remarked as he thought about what all has been said.
“Whether it is true or not,” Danie cutted in, “We can't send her back. We need a portal, and there isn't one anywhere near us. If there was, we probably can even reach it.”
“If we sneak back into ShinRa Headquarters, we can probably find one,” Cloud suggested.
“We could…however, what if Ansem has planned this. We would fall right into a trap of his.”
“We don't know unless we try, Danie,” Angel snapped back. “Risks are meant to be taken. And if we must, we will risk.”
“Most of us probably can't use weapons of any sort. We can't risk!”
“You don't know that for sure, and if it was true, we can train,” Axel argued back.
“And how are we to train?” Shade asked back.
“From us possibly,” Yuffie replied.
“If we aren't prepared quick enough, someone will die,” Felix pointed out.
“And we can't rush the training,” Danie sided, “Everyone learns at different rates. And I know there's at least two people who can't defend themselves right now.”
“We know that,” Axel came in, “But we can't just sit here and do nothing!”
“Well what the hell can we do?! There isn't much at all!”
“We can have Cloud and them start off…until we can fight well!”
“And how are we to learn when they are fighting the enemies?” Athrin interrupted. “Sure we can split into groups and all…but they might need replacements every now and then.”
“Let me point out something though,” Kai spoke up, “As Danie said, there are approximately two people who can't fight right now. Most of us can…so why don't we allow Cloud and them fight, and the ones in our group who are capable of fighting stay and teach. If not, occasionally the ones that can fight can go with Cloud or what not.”
“But here's a problem…” Danie spoke softly, “We mainly know how to handle guns and knives…most of us at least with guns…we need to vary on our weaponry.”
“Then why don't we all decide what we wish to use, and go from there,” Angel suggested.
“My idea,” Cloud responded shortly after, “…is that at least one or two of you is solid magic users. As in mages. Some work with blades…knives, guns, and even an occasional physical attacker.”
“If we have one definite magic user, the rest of us can learn the main important magic skills…” Axel agreed, “…like cure and such.”
“I can study on magic,” Athrin volunteered. “So that takes me off the list.”
“I can easily learn three,” Danie took her turn to speak, “Knives, guns, and swords…if I recall, I've had much experience on the guns and knives part. A sword wouldn't take too much time to learn.”
“I got dibs on guns,” Axel cutted in.
“So three down…six more to go,” Angel commented, “I can go for the common shrunken. I've always wanted to get better with those.”
“I'll take a spear. I'm rather comfortable with it,” Felix also volunteered.
“I pity you,” Axel joked.
“Why?” Felix turned to him.
“It's obvious that you are gonna be paired with Cid on that one,” Axel teased back, which made Felix lower his head in disgrace. Cid just glared at Axel upon the sly remark.
“Damn…”
“I can use guns,” Shade replied, “I go hunting every summer…so really all I need is some simple tips to help out.”
“I learn sword techniques with Danie,” Kai finally spoke. “Which leaves the new girl and Phoenix.”
“Aye,” Danie agreed. “Litta, you should learn the gun blade. You're more familiar with eight anyways than I am. And I know that Phoenix hasn't really played any of the Final Fantasy games.”
“I can learn physical fighting,” Phoenix replied, “Since there isn't anyone anyways that has offered to do so.”
“Litta, your choice?”
Litta just looked around, thinking. Why she was here in the first place blew her mind. Now, they wanted her to learn how to fight, which she began to doubt about rather quickly. “Just skip me,” she finally spoke.
“We can't skip you,” Danie retaliated back, “We need as much help as possible.”
“Find the portal without me then.”
“Litta…seriously…we need your help…you're probably the easiest to communicate with Squall anyways.”
Danie knew where this was going to go at. Knowing Litta since she was about nine or ten and spending about most of her time hanging out with her, it didn't take long to find out what Litta was pointing out. “Just try then,” Danie mumbled to her. However, Litta didn't reply.
“So…” Zell interrupted, “We found out who does what…now what do we do?”
“We practice until the time comes,” Athrin answered.
“We each can pair up with an experienced person,” Kai came to, “Then later, if we wish, we can group up to practice.”
“Don't forget, Athrin shouldn't be the only one in magic skills,” Cid commented.
“He won't,” Axel came back, “All of us should know some magic, offensive, healing, defensive, something.”
“About half of us needs to learn Cure though,” Danie pointed out.
“No kidding. It probably wouldn't be smart if we didn't. Surprises can come up at any time. So we all should be prepared.”
“Aye, agreed.”
“So now what,” Irvine interrupted, “We've got the plans for now, what's next?”
“Well,” Danie looked at him, “Might be nice if some started to learn. Maybe the ones who have no experience what so ever. In addition, rest up a bit. Until later, when we have more of an idea on what we are dealing with.”
“And as for training,” Shade sided, “We can probably go into a forest or something. To get use of the terrain.”
“I agree, Shade. However, for now, I need to think things through. Excuse me for now.” Danie got up slowly and walked out of the room. The remaining people watched as she left, only Axel actually getting up to follow at first. Litta shortly followed him within seconds. The rest of the group went back to their conversation.
 
Eventually, Litta caught up with Axel. However, Axel had lost Danie among the halls. They continued on to find her, but continued to have no luck. Nor a single conversation had started among the two. “You know…she could have went back to her room,” Litta eventually pointed out.
“She could have,” Axel, for once, agreed. “Though, I must point out, she didn't seem to be well. Something's wrong with her.”
“No duh…why else would I have left?”
“…” Axel stayed quiet for the rest of the walk.
The two reached Danie's room shortly after. The door was slightly opened, and the room was dark. Axel entered the room first, followed by Litta, and shutting the door slightly behind them. Examining the room, Litta found Danie lying on her stomach on the bed. She tapped Axel and pointed over in Danie's direction.
Assuming that she was asleep, Axel crept over quietly. Litta just stood where she was at, watching Axel. He studied Danie, as he knew something was wrong with her. Axel raised his hand to her forehead to check her temperature. “She's burning up…” he whispered to Litta, relocating his hand to Danie's wrist to check her pulse. The pulse seemed fine until about five seconds later; a beat seemed to have skipped. Curious on if it was his imagination, he continued. About five seconds later, another beat skipped.
Axel immediately turned to Litta. As he gestured for her to turn on the lamp, he faced Danie once again. Litta turned the lamp on to the lowest setting and waited for Axel's response. Nevertheless, as the light came on, Axel noticed that Danie was a bit pale than usual. “Shit! Litta! Get Cloud!”
The girl took off running back to the conference room, leaving Axel with Danie. Axel turned Danie around onto her back, and tried to wake her up. “Danie! Danie! Wake up, damn it! Danie!” As he continued to try to wake the girl up, he brought his hand back as soon as he touched the upper part of her arm, to see blood on his hand, and soon on Danie. “What the fuck?!” He moved the sleeve of her shirt over to see a large cut coming across the top of her shoulder, a deep cut.
Shortly, Litta ran back with Cloud and Vincent following her. Cloud rushed over as soon as he saw the blood. Litta stayed with Vincent next to the door, though Vincent seemed to be glancing around the room for something.
“An explanation would be nice right about now,” Axel demanded sharply.
“How the hell should I know?” Cloud retaliated. “I just got here! You, of all people, should know a bit more than me!”
Axel grunted. Of all possible times, he had to pick a fight, let alone refuse to continue it. Not to mention, little did he care about it in the first place. Cloud eventually got up and left, to search for a remedy of some sort to help Danie, leaving the three in the room to watch her.