Fan Fiction ❯ Orphaned in Life ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3
 
 
The next couple of weeks was easier, the Queen and her followers had been serving detention and the `freaks' with Sam, had control of the Main Room. Dove always made sure to watch Sesame Street when it was on, it seemed silly but Dove wouldn't let anything else be on when Sesame Street was on. Nothing made her happier then to see Big Bird on TV. Toad, the youngest of the group, seemed to like it also, he usually was bullied by the Queen and followers to watch whatever they wanted. Shelly, Jumbo, James, and Dove had fun playing card games, although they were usually modified as cards had been lost. Opposite Euchre was a favorite since most of the face cards were missing they used 2's, 3's, 4's, 5's, 6's, and 8's since two of the sevens were also missing. But eventually the Queen and followers got out of detention and were just as nasty as before.
 
“Leave him alone!” James pulled Toad away from the Queen. “He wasn't doing anything.” Toad was crying, the Queen and followers had been picking on him again.
 
“He exists so he is doing something. Why can't they take you freaks to the circus where you belong?”
 
“Yeah, like a freak show for freaks!” One of the Queen's followers, James wasn't sure who, said something stupid.
 
“A freak show for freaks? So normal people like you would be put on display for us?” James and his friends laugh.
 
“Shut up freak! If you're nice I'll make you useful, a washing machine or something.” It had taken her the whole two weeks in detention to come up with that one.
 
“Useful? If you want to be useful you can teach the local whores sex ed!” James came up with that one on the spot.
 
“You know what they use to do to freaks like you? Kill them!”
 
“Know what they use to do to bitches like you? Burn you at the stake! Hell some places they still do that, how about I give you directions to Alabama?”
 
“A beautiful woman like me would never be harmed freak!”
 
“Why? Because they were worried if they touch you they will get a disease?” Again James and his friends laugh.
 
“Shut up freak!” She goes to slap James but he blocks it. Dove had snuck around the Queen and followers during the argument and was getting ready to do something that would put the Queen in her place. “Let me go!”
 
“Now!” Dove rushes forward, grabs the Queen's pants and pull them down, underwear and all. Dove runs away before the Queen's followers know what happened.
 
“Stop! Let me go, please!” The Queen struggles to pull her underwear and pants up while James holds onto her arm. She pulls and pulls, both her clothes and her arm, when James lets go when the Queen goes to pull away as hard as she can, causing her to fall over.
 
“Wow, isn't that your favorite position?” The Queen, who landed on her hands and knees, scrambles to pull her pants up and get off the floor. “Now leave Toad alone he didn't do anything.”
 
“I'll get you for this freak! You'll wish you never messed with me!”
 
“What, threaten to have sex with me?” James and his friends laugh, even Toad laughs a little.
 
“Come on girls it's obvious these freaks don't know what's good for them.” The Queen and her followers leave the Main Room.
 
“That was pretty funny, are you alright Toad?” Dove puts a hand on his shoulder. He nods, wiping the tears from his eyes. “She's not better then us, she may look normal but she is a monster.” Dove was a little concerned about the last threat, Dove and Shelly stayed in the girl's room, where the Queen and her followers outnumbered them.
 
“That's true, but that was great, they never saw it coming.” Jumbo's face was still red from blushing; he had seen it, all of it and was embarrassed to the bone about the thoughts in his head.
 
“Thanks for the assist Dove.” James and Dove high five each other. “You gonna be alright Jumbo?” James elbows him. “What you think Shelly?”
 
“That was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.” Shelly didn't like the Queen; she was still picked on by her and the others. They didn't know about her tail or ears but they still made fun of her for hanging out with the `freaks'. “But you don't have to deal with her at night, we do.” Shelly had the same concern as Dove.
 
“Don't worry about it she is all hot air and not just the hot air in her head.” James and the rest relax, not worried at all.
 
After lunch Shelly sees a kid sitting against a wall in the hall way, it's Darkie.
 
“Hi uh, Darkie, what are you doing?” She had only said hi to him a couple times, he wasn't very sociable with the others.
 
“Someone closed the blinds on the windows; I can't feel the sun so I can't tell when to turn.” He was ashamed to admit it, but without knowing where the windows were he didn't know how to get around the Orphanage.
 
“I could help you if you want.” Shelly felt bad, she had closed them earlier.
 
“I'm fine, hmpf, Darkie? I know that's my nickname, why do you call me that? In fact the only one you don't call by nickname is James, why is that?”
 
“I, uh, well, if you don't want me to call you that I won't.” She couldn't remember his real name, she was sure James or someone said it before but couldn't remember.
 
“It's fine Monkey Butt.” Darkie, or Tom, had heard James call her that before. “I guess that is what that sound is.”
 
“You can hear it?” Before she could get mad for being called Monkey Butt she was stopped, how could Darkie hear it?
 
“It rustles inside your pants leg, I wasn't sure what it was at first, but when I heard James call you that I figured it out.”
 
“If you tell anyone…”
 
“Who am I going to tell? The Bitch and Bitchettes? I think not, they probably put the blinds down just to mess with me.”
 
“That was me, I didn't know, sorry, I could go put them back up.” Shelly starts to walk away when Darkie says something that stops her.
 
“I want to touch it.” This caught Shelly off guard, what? “I want to touch your tail, I live in a world of sound and touch, and I want to know what it feels like.”
 
“Hell no, no one touches it, no one sees it.” Now she was getting mad, she hated her tail, how anyone could talk like that about it infuriated her.
 
“I'll tell you why I wear all black, and how I know it is black, if you let me touch it, and I'll forgive you for putting the blinds down.” He had heard the others talk about him, why he always wore black, and how he knew they were black.
 
“No!” She was getting madder and madder, her hand balled into a fist.
 
“Come on what's so bad about it? And please don't hit me.” Darkie could hear her hand, the muscles themselves, move into a fist.
 
“Never!” Shelly storms away forgetting about putting the blinds up. Darkie sits in the hallway, if night came he might be able to feel the cold come in through the windows, even when they were closed the cold came through, even with the blinds he could sense the cold.
 
That night Shelly had just got out of the shower when the Queen and her followers shove her onto the floor. “Is the freak in there?”
 
“Dove? Yeah, leave her alone!”
 
“Shut up newbie, this doesn't involve you, but if you want we can start with you.” The Queen smiles with an evil grin daring Shelly to do something.
 
“You got what you deserved! If you weren't picking on Toad James wouldn't have messed with you!”
 
“Well we are about to pick on the bird, if you want to stop us try it but as you can see we greatly outnumber you.” The Queen and her followers walk into the shower room where Dove still was. Shelly wanted to go in there but if her towel came off in a fight they would see her tail, something she couldn't let happen.
 
A few minutes later the Queen and her followers walk out of the shower room. “You're smarter then I thought, what do you think girls?” The Queen turns to her followers. “Are you ready to leave those freaks and join us? Us normal people have to stick together.”
 
“Never! You're a bitch.” Shelly spits in the Queens face.
 
“I see, before you do or say anything else how about you go check on the chicken?” The Queen and her followers laugh together and go to their beds. Shelly runs to the shower room and finds Dove lying on the floor with marks all over her body. When Shelly gets closer she realizes they are puncture wounds, but with the water running the blood went down the drains.
 
“Dove! Dove!” She shakes Dove trying to get a response when she sees the puncture wound in her neck. “No!”
 
“Don't do anything stupid Shelly.” The Queen and her followers had gone into the shower room behind Shelly, all holding toothbrushes whose ends had been sharpened into points. “So what now? Do you join my group or die with the bird?”
 
“You killed her, you fucking killed her! Murderer!”
 
“Murder? I don't think so, she wasn't human, she was an animal.”
 
“She was more human then you'll ever be!” Shelly gets ready to fight, the Queen may have friends, and weapons, but she wasn't going to lose.
 
“Going to fight? Maybe you are dumber then I ever thought, you'll end up just like the bird, so what are you going to do?”
 
“I, I, damn you!” Shelly lunges forward, slipping on the wet floor and landing so hard on the floor it dazes her. Before she gets back up one of the Queen's followers kick her in the head. Before she falls unconscious Shelly hears the Queen mutter something.
 
Shelly wakes up bound by handcuffs, she looks around, she is in the office with the Orphanage Leader and two police officers. “You say the minor female found was Cindy Doe, someone put into the system after being found in an alley?”
 
“Yes, and sadly the one with the weapon was just transferred no more then a month ago after being in a fight with another child.”
 
“The four witnesses, who are also under your care, fought the other girl when they saw what she had done? None of them show any defensive or offensive wounds, and reports you have given us show that the victim and the witnesses had problems in the past.”
 
“I know, this is why I didn't want you to take Shelly away until she gave her side of the story. Those four, especially Jill, are sociopaths. Back when we could have the kids analyzed by shrinks he said that Jill was a future Hitler, insane, evil, and charisma to get almost anyone to follow her. I wanted to get her therapy but the funding was cut before I could get them arraigned.” If she was going to be fired for letting a child die under her watch she wanted to make sure the right person was held responsible.
 
“Ms. King we do have contradicting evidence, they say that it was Shelly alone, yet there were at least two weapons used. They say they fought Shelly, but show no wounds, she was the only one injured. And as we have already gone over past reports and files everything indicates that the four other children are the perpetrators.”
 
“That bitch killed Dove!” Shelly couldn't keep quiet any longer. “Her friends did it, they used toothbrushes, they were going to kill me to but, but…” Shelly gets off the seat and turns around. “I should have known what they were doing, they told me to not do anything, I didn't follow them, if I had I could have stopped them.” Shelly looks down at the floor ashamed of what had happened, because she didn't want to reveal her tail she didn't go after them, instead she changed into her pajamas, waiting for Dove to come out of the shower room.
 
“Is that your side of the story?” One of the officers gets his tape recorder out. “Would you like to make a statement, recorded, about your version of the events that happened?”
 
“They aren't my side! It's the truth! Dove and James embarrassed that bitch earlier and she said she would get back at her! I didn't think she would do this, please, believe me, I wouldn't hurt Dove, she was my friend!” Shelly starts to cry, bursting into tears of sadness, guilt, and anger, all at herself. If she hadn't been so shallow, so worried about her tail, she would have been able to save Dove.
 
“Calm down Shelly, the evidence is confusing, but I don't think…” Ms. King is cut off by an officer.
 
“You and the other four will be taken into custody, our custody. Detective Reilly go and get the other four, I will call another car to help transport them.” The other officer leaves the office and a few seconds later…
 
“That bitch ratted us out! I'll kill her before she gets to testify! We'll do to her what we did to that freak!” The Queen had snapped, her ranting and raving, screaming and howling, made her look like the monster she was inside. “Fuck you! Let me go, you tell that bitch she won't live, we'll kill her! Hear that! I know you can, I'm going to kill you to! AAA!!!” The Queen fought with the officer but he was able to pin her to the ground. “Get him! Don't let him do this to me, now bitches!”
 
“We, we're in enough trouble as it is, we're so sorry, we didn't want to hurt her, we swear!” One of the three had taken charge now that their Queen had fallen. “Please don't hurt us, we're sorry, we were just following orders.”
 
“I told you! I told you they killed Dove! Get these damn things off of me!” Shelly struggles against the handcuffs wanting to exact revenge on the Queen.
 
“We have a confession, on tape, and three witnesses I am sure are more then willing to make a deal.” If only all cases were this easy. At first it looked like they were going to have to put in over time but with a confession, and three girls who were more then willing to make a deal, another collar for them both. The officer gets a key out and unlocks Shelly. “I'm sorry miss if…”
 
“Die!” Shelly shoves the officer out of the way and charges for the door, before she can open it Ms. King grabs Shelly using a choke hold to hold her back.
 
“Stop Shelly, you're not in trouble anymore, calm down!” Ms. King struggles to keep Shelly under control as the officer gets back to his feet.
 
“You've been cleared before we could even arrest you, with a confession and three other people who will testify there isn't any way for her to get out of this.”
 
“She killed Dove, I let her kill Dove, I'll kill her!” The officer grabs Shelly's legs as she continues to struggle.
 
“No you won't, she will go to trial, or plead guilty, and spend the next twenty years in jail at least.” Hopefully, the girl was only 14 may not be tried as an adult, but the facts were looking like this was a hate crime, she would be tried as an adult, had to be. Four years in a kiddy camp wasn't enough to punish this girl for what she did.
 
“Let me go!” This time it came out as a wail, tears streaming down her face, she didn't want to let the Queen, Jill, walk away.