Fan Fiction ❯ Phoenix's Rise ❯ A New Titan ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 2
 
A New Titan?
 
Robin stared at the place where the girl, who he presumed was Phoenix, had vanished. He could find no remains of a smoke-bomb, the only thing he found was a layer of very fine ashes. “Robin, please get your hind-end over here!” Starfire called. I wish she didn't misuse all of our expressions we use here on earth, and make them sound so dumb . . . oh well.
 
“What is it Star?”
 
“Cyborg believes he has found some information that may be of interest to you, regarding the vanishing girl.”
 
“Slips of paper like the one that we found were left at the sights of various nation wide crimes that were stopped before law enforcement could arrive, and they all had the same name on them . . . Phoenix,” Cyborg told Robin and the others.
 
“Are you saying that this girl's been going around from city to city, stopping crimes and then leaving again? We've got to find her!” Robin exclaimed.
 
“I agree, she could make an important addition to the team, and obviously she has nowhere to call home. If she did, the appearances would be centered near one city, not all over the place,” Raven agreed.
 
Cyborg spoke up. “If she wanted to be part of a team, don't you think she would have stuck around instead of *poofing* off like that? I don't know about you guys, but I think she wants to be left alone.”
 
“If we wish to find her, we must do so soon,” Starfire added “, we do not know if Slade has returned, and if he has, he may wish to force this Phoenix into becoming his next apprentice.”
 
“Star's right,” Beast Boy agreed “, we don't need another situation like the one we had with Terra. I say we find Phoenix, and ask her to be a Titan.” Everyone agreed, and split into groups to search the city; Robin had the north, Cyborg the western, Raven the southern, Starfire the eastern, and Beast Boy would search the entire city by air.
 
Phoenix watched the whole conference from a nearby roof top. She wasn't sure who Slade and Terra were, but she knew that there had been tension between them and the Titans before. She decided that her best option would be to find one Titan, and speak to him or her alone. Robin seems to be the leader, but I don't know if he would take me seriously. Definitely not Cyborg or Beast Boy, and Starfire seems to be unused to earth. That makes it a little easier to choose. Okay, Robin or Raven? I guess I'll take my chances with Robin . . . Raven doesn't exactly seem like the social type. Now to find him before any of his friends find me.
 
Robin was searching in a back ally, when Phoenix found him, she took a deep breath, then jumped down right in front of the boy wonder. “I heard you wanted to talk to me, so go ahead.” Robin stared at the girl in front of him, she had long black hair, and her eyes were even darker than her hair, but they almost seemed to glow slightly orange. The orange t-shirt she wore said “I didn't do it,” and her faded jeans had holes in the knees, with the exception of her eyes . . . she looked like an ordinary teen not a nation wide crime stopper.
 
“Yah, my name's Robin, I'm the leader of the Teen Titans. We were wondering if you'd like to also become a Titan. See, there's this guy named Slade . . . and whenever someone with any kind of major power comes near here, he tries to force them into becoming his apprentice. His last one almost destroyed us, and we just want to save any pain to be given out for the criminals.”
 
“So you want me to join you, so that you have one less criminal to worry about, and one more person to help take out the criminals that are already around here . . . is that right? Or am I being a bit harsh?” Phoenix joked then laughed as she saw the confused look in Robin's eyes.
 
“No, it's not just that. We also read reports of the crimes that you've stopped, and noticed that they were all over the country. You don't have a home . . . do you?” When Robin asked this, a dark, sad cloud seemed to envelop the once happy girl.
 
“I don't like to talk about . . . that subject. It's kinda painful for me,” Phoenix said, and then brightened. “If you're sure you want to put up with me, I guess I'll stay with you guys for a while.”
 
“How about you just stay with the Titans permanently? Everything may seem strange for a while, but you could get used to it if you try.” Phoenix gave a nod, and then Robin pulled out his communicator, and told the other Titans to return to the tower.
 
“You're Phoenix? No offence, but you don't look like a nation-wide crime fighter to me,” Beast Boy said to the teenage girl who had quickly become the center of attention back in the tower.
 
Suddenly, and alarm went off. “Titans, go!” Robin shouted. “Cinderblock has escaped, and is breaking into the museum. Phoenix, if you feel up to it, you can come too.” Robin informed the slightly panicked looking girl, everyone turned to look at her.
 
“Okay, if you're sure . . .” Phoenix shrugged. Just make it stop. Just make the alarm stop . . . I don't want to think about that . . . not now.
 
“Yah, come on, we'd better get moving,” Cyborg exclaimed as the alarm stopped as suddenly as it had begun. Phoenix got up from her seat, and ran to catch up to her new found friends.