Fan Fiction ❯ Phoenix's Rise ❯ The Darkness vs The Light ( Chapter 33 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 33
 
The Darkness Vs. The Light
 
Hades walked up the path and into the view of the Dark Guardians. He was followed by Phoenix, Neptune, Apollo, Zeus, Vulcan, and Athena . . . all shackled and in chains.
 
“What took you so long?!” Dark Phoenix barked.
 
“Forgive me, please. There was a planned uprising, and I was almost trapped. I thought that you would wish to deal with these trouble makers.” Hades bowed, and then stepped quickly out of the way.
 
“You can't touch Phoenix! I won't let you!” Robin shouted from his place on the table.
 
Phoenix just stood meekly in place, with her eyes downcast. “I knew what I was getting myself into, Robin. I knew I had to find the Guardians to protect our world from an evil that would attempt to destroy it . . . and I finally know now what I've needed to do all this time!”
 
As if on a signal, the prisoners broke their bonds and Hades glided over, transforming into Hectate.
 
“What is this?” Terra cried as Phoenix made a dash for Robin and slashed the wires holding him with the Element Sword.
 
“This is what we like to call some old-school butt-whooping.” Neptune laughed as he stopped Aqualad's water attack, and aimed it at Terra.
 
“We're the newly appointed Guardians, and we're going to bring you down!” Apollo announced as he clashed with Airhead, whom had become surprisingly vicious.
 
“What makes you think that you can do that?” Raven cackled.
 
“The fact that the good guys always win.” Phoenix replied with a snarl as she protected herself and Robin from streams of dark energy. “You need to get out of here.”
 
“What? Phoenix, there's no way I'm leaving you on your own in the middle of this!” Robin protested.
 
“You have to, Robin. This is too dangerous, and besides . . . the other Titans are going to need you if . . . if we don't make it.” Phoenix had to pause in order to keep from crying. “Please. If I know that you're safe . . . it will be one less thing for me to worry about.”
 
“Okay, but I'm expecting you to come back, and that's an order.” Robin managed to smile as he hugged Phoenix goodbye.
 
“Hectate, I need you to send Robin back to Titans' Tower. Can you handle that?” Phoenix asked urgently as she blocked yet another attack.
 
“It should be no problem . . . but perhaps you should go with him.” Hectate suggested tentatively.
 
“I can't. You need me here.” Phoenix gave Robin a quick kiss before returning to the fight.
 
“Your girlfriend is strong, but even she has her limits. You must realize that.” Hectate warned Robin as she opened a portal beneath his feet.
 
“Yo! What the heck was that?” Cyborg asked as something fell right past the window of the Tower's common room.
 
“I dunno . . . a UFO?” Speedy wondered.
 
Port disappeared, and then reappeared in the kitchen with Robin supported on his shoulder. “Here's your UFO.”
 
“Where were you?” Beast Boy asked.
 
“More or less . . . being held hostage in order to force Phoenix into obeying Demeter and her cronies.” Robin replied briskly as he stalked out of the room. “Come on, we've got work to do.”
 
“What do you mean, Robin?” Starfire asked.
 
“I've got the coordinates to get to Mount Olympus . . . that's where the others are . . . fighting. If we go help, that might be just the edge they need.” Robin answered.
 
Mal idea (bad idea).” Mas shook his head.
 
Si.” Menos agreed.
 
“I agree with the small ones. Too many fighters could cause many more injuries.” Lightfire explained.
 
Back on Olympus, the battle was going poorly for the good guys. The Dark Guardians were trying to destroy the Light Guardians, while the Light Guardians were trying to do the exact opposite.
 
Presently, Phoenix found herself fighting with Airhead. No matter what she tried, he always managed to out-do her efforts. One `air blade” swept Phoenix off of her feet and into the ground, causing her to drop her sword.
 
Airhead chuckled evilly as he drew one of his daggers and moved over to where Phoenix had fallen, now too weak to get up. “Do you want me to finish you off quickly, or do you want me to drag it out for you?” He asked as he knelt and laid the flat of his blade along her neck.
 
Gritting her teeth, Phoenix tried to get away by punching him in the jaw, but it didn't help. He blocked her hand and forced it down roughly. “You just can't lie by and admit that you're finished, can you?”
 
“You're right . . . I can't.” Phoenix snarled as she brought up her leg and used a sweeping kick to knock Airhead away and get to her feet, picking up the Element Sword in the process. With new strength, Phoenix launched herself at Airhead, but he managed to neatly side-step.
 
In her frustration, Phoenix drove her sword into the ground, right into the middle of Airhead's shadow. Suddenly, the Dark side of the Air-Guardian was pulled away, leaving the real Airhead limp on the ground.
 
“Damn you! How did you know?!” Cursed the dark warrior as he bled to death from the stab wound in his stomach. Phoenix just stood next to the defenseless Airhead, horrified as blood oozed around her feet.
 
Athena noticed the exchange, and after some observation, realized the one weakness that had been presented for them to exploit. Each time one of the possessed warriors moved, their shadow executed the action, and their body followed. “Everyone! Attack the shadows!” She ordered as she used her staff to knock in the Dark Water-Guardian's head.
 
Once the venerability had been exposed, the lookout became much, much brighter. Everyone had been freed, and Dark Phoenix had gone up in smoke. Airhead had come too, and started bawling as soon as he remembered that he had almost killed Phoenix.
 
“I think it's safe to say that everything is okay for now.” Apollo noted as he looked around. The giant `council table' had been destroyed, along with everything else that had been unfortunate enough to be placed within the area.
 
“It's time for you to all go home.” Hectate smiled as she opened a portal.
 
Slowly, the battle weary fighters walked through the multi-dimensional bridge, and onto the roof of Titans' Tower.