Fan Fiction ❯ Quest for the Master Sword ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Link and Zelda, hand in hand, raced across the bridge that led to the road to Saria Town. Weird-looking skulls were flying up out of the water and shooting rocks at them, some of which Link deflected with his shield. Some of the skulls he hit with his sword, batting them away from him and Zelda. The skulls had some vertebrae attached at the bottom, and they used this to move along the boards of the bridge; Link and Zelda jumped over these or kicked them back into the water.

"Figures, I just polished this shield a few days ago," Link muttered in an attempt to joke as yet another skull hit his shield with the loud metallic clang of bone against metal.

"Let's just get out of here," Zelda pleaded.

Finally they stepped off the bridge and onto the road to Saria. "I'm beat," Zelda panted as she went over to a large rock and sat down.

"We really need to hurry, sweetheart," Link said gently as he crouched down next to her and put a hand on her shoulder.

"Link...even if Ganon does get the Master Sword, even if he does have the Ocarina of Time and the Spiritual Stones...I don't think he has the most crucial part."

"That being?"

"I don't think he knows the Song of Time. I do; it's been handed down from one generation to the next. To my knowledge it has not been written down in any books, for fear that something like this might one day happen."

"What if he does know it?"

"Link...it is very easy to get lost in the Lost Woods. But our ancestor pointed out the Master Sword's location. Even if Ganon did know the Song of Time, which I doubt, we'll have the advantage of knowing the Sword's location," Zelda pointed out. She stood up. "Let's get going to Saria Town. I don't want to be out here at night, and I'm just exhausted."

Link also stood up. "Zelda...are you all right? You're not sick, are you?"

"I'm just really tired right now," Zelda sighed.

"That's what I'm talking about," said Link. "Come on, let's get going to Saria." He couldn't keep the concern out of his voice.


The minute Link and Zelda entered their room at the inn in Saria Town, Zelda fell onto the bed and was fast asleep almost instantly. Link sighed and shook his head. He was convinced that there was something wrong with his wife, but she kept insisting she was all right.

He gently slid her thigh-high brown boots off her feet and undressed her; then he covered her with the blankets. He laid a hand on her forehead, found no sign of a fever. Still, he was concerned about her. This was a rather dangerous mission they were on, and if Zelda was sick....

By then it was nightfall. Link took off his own clothes and climbed into bed beside his wife, blowing out the lamp that was on his nightstand. The only thing he could see was the night sky through the window to his right, lit by the moon and stars.

Taking his sleeping wife into his arms, Link closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep. "I love you," he whispered in her ear as sleep claimed him.


When Link woke up the next morning, he was alone in bed. He thought he could hear something coming from the small bathroom, which was adjoined to the opposite end of the room. "Zelda?" he asked, sitting up, the blankets falling off his bare chest.

Moments later Zelda emerged, wearing only a robe, and when she came up to the bed Link could see that her eyes were red and her golden hair was tousled. She looked like something the cat dragged in, Link was thinking. "I feel all right now," she told him. "I--I just threw up."

Link took her hand and gently pulled her onto the bed next to him, put his arms around her. "What do you want to do, Zelda?" he asked. "Do you want to go back to North Castle?"

"No--I need to be with you," Zelda said, shaking her head. "Ganon might be keeping an eye on us. If he knows I'm at North Castle and you're here--who's going to protect me? Remember I said he most likely doesn't know the Song of Time? He may decide to kidnap me and make me teach it to him."

"Are you sure you're all right?" Link asked, looking into her green eyes. "At least let me take you to a healer here in town and find out what's wrong, see if it's something we can do something about...."

Zelda nodded. "Let's do that, then be on our way through the mountains."


Link and Zelda held hands as they walked through the water town of Saria. Zelda still held the canvas bag and Link still had the knapsack on his back. "I still don't think anything's wrong, I just know," Zelda told her husband.

"I think there's something wrong if you're tired more than usual and throwing up," Link told her. "Here we are...."


Ganon growled in frustration and scratched his head as he sat upon his huge beetle, which was his transportation. "These trees all look alike!" he screeched. "Wasn't I just on this path a few minutes ago!?"

"Yea, you were, boss," said one of the Molblins that was accompanying Ganon.

"Silence, fool!" Ganon howled. "How do you Molblins get around here?"

"Um...I think they do it by trial and error," said a timid-sounding Goriya.

"Who asked you!" Ganon hissed.

"We just, um, wander around, boss," said the Molblin.

Ganon put his face in his hands and shook his head in a "Why me?" fashion. "If you think I'm going to wander around these woods, you are CRAZY!!!" he shrieked, lifting his snout up into the air and practically howling at the sun, each of his words louder than the last, his fists clenched at his sides.

His lackeys were not sure what to do. When Ganon was angry he could be a bit unpredictable.

The evil holder of the Triforce of Power took deep breaths. He seemed to be calming down some. "Well," he said, a thought obviously having come to him, "Link and Zelda will probably have just as hard a time here in the Lost Woods, and with more of my minions watching for them, I just may emerge victorious yet!"

He took up the beetle's reins. "Let's go!"


Zelda came out of the room in the healer's house, blushing. "What?" Link asked, curious.

"Link, your wife is expecting a baby," the dark-haired woman said, smiling. "That's why she's been feeling exhausted and sick. She'll be all right, she just needs a little more rest than usual."

"Oh wow," Link murmured.

"Congratulations!" the healer told them as Link took Zelda's hand.

"Well, I'm glad nothing's wrong," Link said as he hugged Zelda to him. "This just means I'll have to protect her more."

Link and Zelda left the healer's house. Zelda sighed. "Not very good timing," she said.

"Aren't you happy we're going to have a baby?" Link asked. "Another heir to Hyrule's throne...."

"Yes. It's just that the timing's a bit off," Zelda said. "I'm going to feel miserable during our quest."

"We'll deal with it," said Link. "Now you know I'm not gonna let you out of my sight...." He drew her into his arms and held her, ignoring the townsfolk walking by. "Now let me carry that bag."

Zelda had to smile as she handed the canvas bag to Link. "Babying me already, I see," she said, sounding amused.

"I know you'll take advantage of it too," Link said as they crossed the river, passing by the guard. "But you know I'd do anything for you, sweetheart."

"I just hope we'll be all right going through those mountains," Zelda said, looking up ahead.

"There are a series of passes, caves, and passages in those mountains," said Link. "And it's gonna be pretty dangerous, honey. We'll have to be really careful."

"Better let me carry the bag, then, since you need both arms free," said Zelda as she took the canvas bag with their supplies from her husband.

"Yeah, there are ax-wielding alligators in those caves," said Link, sounding more excited than scared or nervous. "Dairas. They get pretty vicious, so I want you to stay behind me, and stay close."

"How did you ever survive wandering around the world?" Zelda asked as they walked towards a cave south of Saria.

"I always was good with a sword," Link replied, shrugging. He winked and Zelda rolled her eyes and chuckled, getting the joke.

Slowly, cautiously, the couple entered the cave, Zelda taking out a magic candle so they could see. They held their breath, wondering just what was waiting for them in the damp, murky cave.