Fan Fiction ❯ Quills ❯ Quills ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Welcome to Quills, a tale of a man's duty, honor, and short journey to himself. This is a pre-story of a novel I am writing, called the Guiding. Be on the lookout for that, too. ^__^ I hope you enjoy this, as literally confusing as it is.

I present the original beginning of my novel, the tale of Theodus Krequill.

Quills

"Stone him! Stone the blasphemer!"

The gates were filled with people, the people of my place. All glared at me, not a friendly face in the rows of humans. One face worried for me, just one. She flew over their heads, but not a one of the humans she brushed past gave her a second glance. They could not see my friend, my only friend. My secret love.

"Theodus, hold still!" she hissed under her breath. "I'll get you out!"

"Sasha, no!" I whispered under my breath. "These are the laws of my people. You cannot stop them."

"Oh, look!" shouted a man from the crowd. "Now he acts the fool! Krequill thinks he can win himself to us by talking to himself!" He laughed at me. The gates of Hell were upon me, but not before the Avalon. Perhaps my judgment would not be as severe as Lucifer's.

"Theodus Krequill, you are no blasphemer!" Sasha shouted. "Law or not, you have done nothing wrong! This is Morphus's doing, I know it so! Escape for but a moment and use your power. This is your duty, Theodus! Duty!"

"No, not so, my sweet Sasha," I sighed. "You are wrong. My duty is my death. My duty was to you, when you were endangered to all. I set you free, my friend, for my wrongs."

"You think that, do you?" Sasha flapped her dark wings.

When I first met her, she seemed sinister. It was only Tien who saved me from destroying my partner and friend. A woman who seemed so innocent had seen so much. Even when I met her, I was unknowing. I had learned so much…

"Theodus Krequill, unhand her at once!" The woman who stood before me was nothing short of breath taking. Gentle to look upon, I knew not the power that she held. My mouth fell slack, as did my hand about the snake-like monster's throat.

"Child, what say ye to the holder of gems?" the monster asked. "Have you no manners?"

I lunged at the creature, intending to kill it once and for all. No one dared dispute my honor! No one, especially not some weak little thing shaped like so wicked a creature.

"Theodus!" the woman shouted. "Tien, commander of the worlds' forces, commands thee! Release Sasha, Dragon of the Sapphires. And your new partner."

"Partner?"

"Yes, partner," she said, smiling as my hands went slack again. "You are the Sapphire Guiding, Theodus Krequill, a man of great duty. Many places need your aid, even in this time of so little crime. I am Tien."

"Tien?"

"You remember Tien well, don't you, Theodus?" Sasha's voice rudely woke me from my memories.

The world around me had turned a deep blue, and not a creature but she and I moved. Sasha handed me the gem Tien had given me that day. My little dragon friend knew me so well. And she knew my senses of duty and honor even better.

"Indeed, Theodus," Tien's voice ripped through me.

She had appeared so quickly. I knew she had read my thoughts. There was so much more she could do. My right knee dropped quickly.

"Bow not, Theodus Krequill, for God's mercy and love shines upon thee this day," she said. She reached down and pulled me to my feet, effortlessly. "You war for Hs sake. You are willing to become a martyr for His sake. You are blessed among men this hour, Theodus Krequill.

"Beware, Theodus. Duty is responsibility, as it always comes with power. There are other things."

"What do you-"

"If you don't know by now your own feelings, Theodus of Rome," Tien said. "Then accept your death as your duty. But before you do, there is a suicide call in 129. No doubt it is Morphus's doing."

"One last duty before I reach Avalon," I nodded. "I'm on my way."

The jewel she'd given me so long ago rocked from the silver chain that held it. Sasha, Tien, and the whole blue world disappeared from my eyes. 129…it was a place I hadn't been. The one place, despite all, that I hadn't visited yet of the 256. It was a finalizing thing for me. I was old for my place. Too old, some might say, to continue in my duties.

I'd signed my contract in my blood, however. I would fight till the day I died. And to my word, my blood, and my duty I would hold till time stopped or I died. I do believe the latter would come first.

The warm, giving pool, a veil between the world of Krequill and the world of the Sapphire, was inviting. I could stay here, hidden between the worlds. But I was no coward, nor would I ever be. I'd fought demons since the start. A suicide call was nothing.

This call, however, turned out to be different. I expected some man, some woman, or some creature unknown to me. However, I did not expect a small boy, no more than sixteen or seventeen years of age. His dress was unfamiliar. White and black and red, similar to an Englishman's clothes, but dirty and far beyond repair. So far, I could only see the boy.

I could see why he held the ornate sword in his hand, its thin blade resting gently upon his hands. Like an adder ready to strike, the sword was filled with power. Power and responsibility. Too much for such a small boy.

"Don't do it," I said.

It was the same three words, each time I went on a suicide call. They were always the first.

The boy leapt to his feet, graceful and swift. His sword was at ready before I could say another word. At last I could see the rest of our surroundings. Men were slain or lay dying to either side of us. The boy was the only one who remained alive.

"Who be ye?" he growled. If his tone hadn't been serious, I would have laughed at his voice. It was high pitched and would make a beautiful singing voice.

"I am Theo-"

"What business do ye have aboard me ship, Theo?" he snarled, swinging the sword expertly.

"My business is to stop you from destroying your life," I said. His face softened into a confused frown, rather than the rage from before.

"How d'you know I was-"

"It doesn't matter now, son," I said, glancing around. "What's the name of this ship?"

"This here schooner's name be the Gallant," said the boy. "I be her captain, Neville Miller."

"Neville? So you are English?"

"Say not that nation," he said, his voice cracking. "Say it not, sir. They have slain my father for a pirate and left me no food, water, nor ally."

"You've an ally now," I said, smiling. "I will help you get to a port and some fine men."

"Pirates," he said. "I want pirates. They's slain me father for a pirate, so's I'm going to give them pirate in his son."

"Ah," I said. "You'll need some scurvy mates, then. Let's shove off, then, young Captain Neville."

"Captain Manta Miller, now," he said. "I've tossed Neville out with me English mother."

The Gallant was only two miles from a Spanish port. Captain Manta Miller found himself a fine band of pirates and changed the course of history in 129. From what I heard later on, the Spanish took over the entire world and ruled as a democracy. Piracy still ran rampant in the waters for many centuries to come, and the Millers became a famous band of such men.

Now, though, as I watched young Manta sail off after four hours of work, I knew my time had come. I'd discovered something during my time with the boy, though. My duty wasn't to my place or the others, nor in holding back the demons. My duty was to my friends and the people I helped.

To Sasha and Tien.

I appeared exactly where I'd disappeared at exactly the moment I'd left. Morphus appeared from the crowd and hailed them to hear his words.

"This man has blasphemed and conspired against us!" he shouted. The demon posed as a man certainly wasn't saying anything new. "He has taken an oath to Caesar and has broken his word! Stone the blasphemer! Stone him till he's dead!"

Soon a man would come to my place and tell the world of 128 that sin rests within all. He would protect a woman by telling this same man that whoever is without sin should cast the first stone. And I knew that he will walk away defeated. I knew this man, knew him better than most in my day, in my place.

Sasha kissed my forehead and fluttered over me.

"Be strong in the Avalon, Theodus Krequill, my friend," she said. "You know Tien and I shall be there to help you. And you shall not pass the gates of Hell as you passed the gates here this day."

"Thank you, Sasha. Death is my last duty. Yours is to find a man who will write my tale. And to have the daughter you've always wanted."

"It will be written by the quills of my daughter's wings."

***

So…what do you think? Please review and tell me your opinion. Flames accepted. Constructive criticism more appreciated.