Fan Fiction ❯ Reality is an Illusion ❯ A Normal School Day? ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Hello again everyone! Here I am with chapter two! And I lied in the last chapter! Five glowy things surrounded Clarimonde, not six. Have fun!

Reality is an Illusion
Chapter Two - A Normal School Day? (Alexandria)

 
8:00AM, Friday, March 4, 2005: Albany, New York - North America
“It's Friday! The last day of school for the week!” A teenage girl on her way to her high school exclaimed excitedly. “But, why should I have to walk to school? Why can't they give me a car? And I have that project due also, in science.. Aw, man, today's going to be horrible.” How come she couldn't have gone to a rich private school like her great sister Allene? They got to live at their school! They could never be late, and they didn't have to walk much, if at all! But, no, she had to be the youngest daughter in the prestigious Rhoswen family - why they owned a company was beyond her - and thus had to suffer going to Public School. It wasn't that she was stupid, it was just that they had already picked the heir - and she wasn't it.
A person such as her, who was the shortest in her family with shoulder-length brown hair, and cerulean eyes - the only semi-beautiful feature on her, or so she was told - couldn't possibly be allowed to rule an entire company. At least she wasn't alone, - her brother gotten the short end of the stick, too. And now they both were on their way to the same high school. `Why couldn't he have been born two years later? Then we wouldn't have any schooling together, and I wouldn't have to be walking in the cold with him.' She turned to look at Koen, her younger brother - tall, with short black hair cropped around his face, and blue eyes. “Isn't that true?”
“I'm not going to say anything about the lack of organization of that sentence, but actually, Alex, I think that today will be just fine. I mean, you've made it through the rest of the week, right? What makes today any different?”
“I guess you're right. What time is it anyway?” Alex turned and watched as Koen looked at his watch and his eyes widened.
“We have ten minutes to run four street blocks, up two flights of stairs for me, and three for you, and drop off our projects in our separate classes. Wait, scratch that - we have nine.” He started to run.
“But how? We got ready when we were supposed to.. wait a minute, it's because you had to have the last Waffle, isn't that right? You knew it was there, so you just had to go looking for it! For one day, can't you just forgo the waffle?” Alex exaggerated voice had caught up to him.
“What about you, Miss-I-can-sleep-through-three-alarm-clocks? That's got to be a record or something. If you could wake up in the morning, this wouldn't happen!” Koen shouted back as he counted in his head the blocks as they passed them. “Only two more blocks.”
“Whatever, Waffle-Boy.” They sped on, and the scenery slowly changed from big skyscrapers and crowded streets to more comfortable buildings and pedestrian walks. Their school came into view - a giant three-story monstrosity of gray brick that was supposed to be called a building, with windows in all of one-fourth of the rooms, big gates to keep the students in or out, and the words: Albany High School painted in blindingly bright yellow paint. Alex looked back at her brother. “Time?”
“Three minutes.” They slowed down to a fast walk as they tried to regain their breath. Koen was the lucky one. The class that his project was due in, and his first period were one in the same. Her sixth - the class that the project was due in - was on the top floor of the school - thus the three flights of stairs - and her first was all the way at the bottom.
Why her final teacher of the day forced them to turn their projects in before school was unfathomable to her, but her grade depended on it, and so it would be done. She parted ways with her brother on the second floor - who mumbled something about hating his first period - climbed the last flight and turned her project in. Her teacher wasn't in at that moment, so she just placed it with the rest of the projects. Getting excited that she might not be late, she ran down the flights of stairs, and because one knows that they mustn't tempt karma, she had the unpleasant sensation of falling before landing on her face at the bottom. As if becoming a human slinky hadn't been the worst, the bell rang, and the PA system announced that there would be a tardy sweep, meaning that she either had to ditch her first - which she was barely passing - or she could make a run for it and hope that one Mr. Oniry was having a lazy day.
Groaning and knowing that her parents would kill her if she ditched - how they found out, she never knew - she made a mad dash for classroom 12, and watched as the door was slowly closing. Risking it, she placed her hand between the door and the doorway, when it gained momentum and slammed closed. Blinking back tears at the pain in her hand, she yanked open the door and stormed inside. Today was not her day.
“You're late Ms. Rhoswen.” Her teacher, Mr. Oniry, an old, balding man who used to be in the army - and so liked to bark orders - immediately made her slip-up known to the class.
“I'm sorry Mr. Oniry, I had to turn in my project-”
“That's no excuse! Just because your parents own a big company doesn't mean that you can do whatever you please! I've heard that your sister is becoming a fine, respectable woman, and you're slacking off. You're almost failing this class, and if you want to become anything successful in life, you need to pick up the pace!” Assuming that he was done with her, Alex tried to walk to her seat - in the back of the room near the window - to nurse her wounded hand. Apparently, she was wrong.
“I'm not done with you Ms. Rhoswen! For your disrespect, you owe me a 5,000 word essay on why you are failing this class and what you can do to make your parents proud!” Now he stormed off to teach the lesson, and she was lost to her thoughts. `What do you know about my family, you prick? And thank you oh so very much on making my status in this class known! I don't have any friends anyway, and now it's going to get even worse.. If only there was someone I could talk to.. I hope you trip down the stairs and break a hip, you old geezer.'
The class continued on like any other day: Alex day-dreaming while looking out the window, Mr. Oniry picking on her every chance he got and assigning her extra homework. The bell finally rang, and resisting an urge to make an obscene gesture to his back, she walked out of the room, and to the rest of her day.

 
Her second, third, and fourth periods were fine, and then there was lunch. With her friendship status as it was, she normally sat with her brother. She looked around the cafeteria for Koen, and noticed him being picked on by some other students. Sighing, Alex walked over to them and did the routine `don't hurt my brother or your life will become a nightmare' speech, and grabbing Koen by the collar, dragged him over to their normal table. “So what's on the menu?”
Koen blinked at her cheerful tone, and assumed she had had a good day so far. That was a relief. Alex normally hated school, so to see her happy on occasion was a good thing. “Actually, I forgot my lunch money, so I'm not eating today.”
“Okay, I know you're lying; I personally handed your lunch money to you. Those boys took it, didn't they?” Seeing his suddenly dejected look, her spirits fell. She took her money out and handed it to him over the table. “Here, go buy yourself something nice. It's my good deed of the year.”
“Thank you for you most honorable sacrifice. I will go do much good in the world with these three dollars.” They both knew that his sarcastic tone was just trying to lighten the mood, so she played along.
“Don't hurt yourself.”
“Yeah, yeah. As always.” Koen waved and stalked off. About ten minutes later, he came back with a sandwich, a cookie, and some water. Handing his sister the cookie and the water, he watched her eat. She was getting thinner, and he didn't like it. Well, not that he was surprised, she barely ate at home anymore - because of the way their parents treated her, as she wasn't the heir - and his lack of money at lunchtime was becoming more and more frequent. `Maybe I should buy her something with my allowance. She might appreciate that.' Seeing as they had both finished their food, they stood up and looked at each other. “See you after school!”
“Yeah, I'll be waiting.. or something.” They both turned and left.

 
Alex sighed in relief. It was time for her favorite class of the day. Her teacher was amazing, her class was fun, and although the workload was hard, it was interesting. Walking into class, she immediately had to dodge the projectile heading her way. “Holy crap! What was that?”
“Good reflexes make a good ninja, Swan!” Her teacher, Mr. Lanues cheerfully announced to her exclamation.
“But.. I'm not a ninja!”
“Yes you are, you're just deceiving yourself. And anyway, I needed to throw something, and you make such an excellent target. Take your seat.”
Mumbling to herself about senile men, she did as she was told, and jumped as something hard landed on her desk. Looking up, she noticed a girl with green eyes, and recognized her as a new student, who seemed shy. The bell for class rang, and the last stragglers burst in through the door.
“Today class, we have a new student, Arianna Alake. Let's give her a warm welcome.” There was silence throughout the class, and then Mr. Lanues barked out, “Welcome her!” The class burst into applause and cheers. Arianna blushed and ducked her head. Alex felt a sudden liking for her, so she scooted over at her table that she had to herself - the friendship thing again - and waved Arianna over. Arianna hesitantly walked over and stood unsure of herself. With Arianna that close, Alex could get a better look at her. Arianna had dark skin, short black hair, and green eyes. When she was embarrassed though - like now - she seemed to shrink into herself. Alex's feeling grew, and she pointed to the seat next to her. Taking the hint, Arianna sat down.
Mr. Lanues began to talk again. “Back to the matter at hand - in old news, your projects were due today. For those who didn't know, I happily get to stamp an `F' in the grade book next to your name. Isn't that great?” Mr. Lanues had the nerve to make a victory sign to the class with a cheesy grin on his face. “In recent news, I have a new project for you!” The cheesy grin stayed, and the glass groaned. “You get to decide the duration of the project. Today is today, so choose a due date - within reason.”
The class broke into chatter. Alex looked around and just decided to let the rest of the class decide. It didn't matter to her, she would do the project anyway; she had to. But before she completely ignored the class, she heard a conversation.
“So.. when should we make it due?”
“When does school get out? June 19th? Make it due June 20th!”
“I highly doubt that will work. As lenient as Lanues is, he's not that stupid..”
“So you're saying my leniency is stupidity?” Mr. Lanues had come up behind them.
“Wait, no! I was lying! Yeah, lying. That sounds good..”
At this point in time, Alex tuned them out and turned to study the new girl some more. Cerulean met emerald, and Alex turned away. Who was she to stare at someone? She had no right, and that made her even angrier with herself. She was turning into her parents - taking liberties for themselves, acting as if they owned the place - it sickened her. If she knew Arianna better, she might've immediately apologized, but couldn't bring up the courage to look into her eyes again. She was brought back to reality when Mr. Lanues pounded his gavel - why did he have a gavel? - on his desk.
“Okay, I am now taking suggestions for the due date! Anyone?” He looked around at the class in expectancy. The class' hands shot up.
“Tomorrow!”
“No! Are you crazy? March 15th!”
“A Tuesday? Are you crazy?”
“I'm still saying June 20th, guys!”
The class jumped when Mr. Lanues shouted out. “Enough! Since you are all too incompetent to choose a date, we'll have the new girl choose!”
Arianna's head shot up, and she looked around the class in fear. She opened her mouth, and then closed it. She did it again, and again, and again. Then she mumbled something. Mr. Lanues, being an evil, evil man - at least in Alex's opinion - barked at her to speak up. Shy people had always been his favorite people to pick on, anyway.
“I-It should.. be d-due.. o-on the 16th of M-March..”
“The 16th of March it is! What is that.. a Wednesday? Yeah.. that'll work.. So, now that that matter of business has been completed, anyone have anything to share?” One person's hand shot up. “Yes, what is it, Jelly?”
“Well, I just wanted to let you know that I really don't like the way you run your classroom. You pick on people, your teaching's horrible, and-” Mr. Lanues cut him off.
“And well, you know what? I don't really have to listen to what you have to say.”
“But I have the right of free speech!”
“And I have the right to not care! Don't you just love me? And can you guess what else I have the right to do? I have the right to send you outside and/or to the office, which I'm going to utilize. So which do you want? The `and' or the `or'?”
“The what?”
“The `or' it is! Thanks for playing! Now, bye-bye.” Mr. Lanues waved.
“Wait, what? I'm not going to the office! You'll have to drag me kicking and screaming!”
“That can be arranged. Lion and Crispy? If you would do the honors?” Two male students stood up with crazy grins on their faces. Alex decided that Josh - Jelly's real name; no one would actually name their kid Jelly, but if they did, they were very, very mean - should be afraid right now - very afraid. The class, as one, turned and watched Josh be dragged kicking and screaming to the office. Teachers poked their heads out at the racket, then traced it back to its origin. When they found their destination, they sighed and went back to teaching their classes - mumbling something about everyday occurrences.
Once Mr. Lanues was sure that Josh would complete his eventful journey to the office, he turned back to the class. “Now, guess what we're going to do?”
One kid in the back shouted out, “Be afraid of you?”
“I meant other than that. Geez.. anyways.. who wants to start the debate of `The Separation of Church and State?” All hands in the class stayed down. Lion and Crispy walked back in, and Mr. Lanues narrowed in on them. “Congratulations, guys! One of you is going to lead the discussion! So, duke it out!” Now, any normal person would be appalled that a teacher was telling his students to fight, but then, those students in classroom 245 were not normal. This was again proven when the two boys threw out their fists and started playing rock, paper, scissors. Alex shook her head and sighed in enjoyment as Chris - Crispy - cheered and jumped around. `Yep, the best class of the day.'

Alex was determined to do well in her next class, which was science. Leaving Mr. Lanues' class - and having to dodge another projectile - she glanced back once at the new girl. Arianna was shuffling out of the room with her eyes trained on the ground, and was clutching her bag - wait, was it glowing? Alex blinked and rubbed her eyes. When she looked again, the `glowing' had stopped, so she brushed it off as a trick of the light. Arianna must've just been clutching her bag in nervousness for being in a new school. About to call her, Alex paused as she heard Mr. Lanues call Arianna back inside. Arianna twitched, turned around, and walked back into the classroom. Puzzled, Alex tried to figure out why Arianna would be so shocked and then shrugged and began to walk to her sixth.
Walking from the second to the third floor, Alex went over how she would present her project on the Endocrine System. She knew for a fact that her `partners' hadn't done anything for the project because they knew she would complete everything. This fact alone was true as her future would be determined by her grades. `I pretty much have it down. There are only a few parts that I need to be careful at: the words epinephrine and triiodothyronine (A/N: Hahahahahahaahaha! Okie, I'm done. Back to the story.), and differentiating between the parathyroid gland and the thyroid gland.' Hopefully her class would cooperate, as their comprehension of the subject determined her groups' grades.
But, it was not meant to be. Alex entered the classroom with the intent of getting set up quickly so that they could get their presentation over with. But, she instantly noticed that both of her partners were conveniently missing - along with her project. `Great. Just great. How am I supposed to explain this to the teacher? I don't think that “Hey teach! My partners ditched me and took my project with them so that I would get into trouble! You wouldn't mind if I waited until they came back to confront them about this, right?” Yeah, real smooth Al. Real smooth. This day was just not meant to be a good day. And my hand still hurts..' The bell for class to begin rang and the teacher told the class to settle down.
“Today class, the Endocrine System is going! Are you ready Endocrine?”
“Actually, I had my project earlier, but it's missing now, and my partners aren't here with their portion.” Why she was protecting them was beyond her, but she knew it was the right thing to do.
“Because I never saw that you brought it in, I can't believe you. What do you have to say for yourself?”
“I'm sorry?” Apparently, Alex had sounded sarcastic.
“I don't like that attitude you're taking with me young lady. You need to learn to respect your elders before it gets you into big trouble one day. But now what are we going to do? I had nothing planned for us to do except watch your presentation. I'm disappointed in you Alexandria. I thought you were more responsible then that. I guess I was wrong.”
Magnificent - the guilt trip. Her teacher just had to play the one card she could not defend herself against. It wouldn't affect her as much if her parents didn't do that to her everyday and then immediately compare her to Allene.. Now she felt like a horrible person who did not deserve to be on the face of the earth. Alex lowered her eyes and went into `submissive' mode as the teacher continued her rant. As it proceeded, Alex kept feeling worse and worse. Eventually, the teacher took pity on Alex and wrapped it up, but it was too late and Alex was near tears.
For the rest of the period, the class chose to ignore the teacher's talking and instead stared at Alex, so, when the bell to go home rang, she bolted. Running down the flights of stairs, Alex sat down next to the sign endowed with the words Albany High School: Where their pain, is their gain. `Whoever thought that one up needs to be dragged out into the street and shot.' Eventually, Koen came out of the school, and taking one look at his sister, decided not to question anything. Once she saw him, she stood up and walked off, forcing him to follow.
She walked four steps before remembering that she had left her scarf in her locker. Muttering and apology to Koen, she sprinted back to school and ran around the corner to her locker. Unknown to her, another person was turning the corner at the moment, and they collided. Books and papers scattered along the floor and Alex rubbed her bottom to relieve it of its sudden pain. “Ouch. That hurt. Are you okay, though?” Alex finally looked up and cerulean met emerald for the second time that day. “Oh, hey Arianna. Sorry about that, I came back to get my scarf. I should've been paying more attention.”
“It's alright. Please do not worry about it.” Arianna stood up and briskly walked off.
`Did I offend her or something?' Alex began to pick up her items when she noticed a bracelet sitting on the ground with beads of multiple blues on it. `I've never seen this before.. it must be Arianna's. I'll have to remember to give it to her on Monday. I'll wear it on my wrist so that I don't forget to give it back to her.' That task being done, Alex continued on her original quest: retrieved her scarf, found Koen again, and walked home.
`Well, at least this week is done and over with. Nothing important happens to me on the weekends, anyways.'
And at this point in time, the gods began laughing at her.

 
(A/N: Excuse me as I go cry.. I just cut my hair.. I haven't cut my hair in 12 years.. TT ::sobs:: It's kinda.. depressing..)
Home was home, as always. Alex walked through the front door and was immediately questioned by five of the maids at the house: “How was your day?” - “Do you need anything?” - “Let me grab your stuff.” - “Please change your clothes so that you can be ready for dinner!” - “Please walk with proper posture! Your parents would be disappointed at the way you carry yourself.”
The last comment made Alex snap and she rounded on them. “Who are you to tell me how to live my life? You don't know the crap I have to put up with at school, so you need to just back off and leave me alone! You don't get paid to pester me, so stop pretending to care about me! You're all lying!” She closed her eyes and walked up the grand staircase, and to the room at the end of the hall - her room. She threw her stuff down on the ground and sat on her bed holding her head in her hands. “Why do they pretend to care?” While that thought was being pondered, Koen entered her room and sat on the bed next to her.
“I'm sorry about that. I would have prevented it had I known.”
`There is no way you could have known. I shouldn't have barked at them like that. They are only doing what their `employers' told them to do.”
“You do know that you can call those `employers' Mom and Dad, right?”
“I refuse to acknowledge that those two people are my parents. They haven't done anything parentally to me since they named Allene the heir. How am I supposed to call them my parents? When you come up with a good reason, let me know.” Alex looked directly into Koen's eyes and saw resignation flicker in their depths. “That's what I thought. Now, I'm going to bed. Tell them that I'm not feeling well. As if they'd ask.” She stretched out on her bed with her back facing the door. “Goodnight.”
She heard Koen move off of her bed and open the door. “Just remember Alex, I like you for who you are. And that will never change.” The door closed and Alex shut her eyes. `Thank you Koen. But, you're not the one I want acknowledgement from.' The doors to her consciousness began to shut, and Alex dreamed.

 
Alex looked around. `Well, this is new. Normally my dreams take place on a solid colored background.. it's never been this detailed before. I wonder what's going to happen in this dream? It can't be anything good though, I'm at the school.' Alex sighed. `Oh well, might as well let this dream run it's course. Better start going throughout my day; that's how these dreams always go.' She walked through the front of the school, and noticed that there were tents placed around the campus. `What are those doing here?' Curiosity taking the best of her, she walked over to one of the tents and opened the flap. She heard a conversation taking place that only served to confuse her.
“How is the Vita Protezione that's situated in Africa doing?”
“Last that we heard of them, the Sorceress' leader was in a coma, and her Esperto has shown no signs of moving from her side. They have lost a valuable fighter, and we need to - ” Apparently, he was cut off.
“Who's there?” Were they talking to her? `This is the weirdest dream I've ever had..' Normally, she was just in the back drop - not that that was any different from real life - and she watched the events take place around her. `They can't be talking to me.' Alex stayed where she was, still believing that she was being ignored - once again - when something brushed passed her cheek and the sound of an object hitting wood resounded through her ears. Then she noticed the pain in her cheek and touched it. Bringing her fingers to her eyes, she noticed that it was her blood. And then, everything spiraled downhill when she heard a call and a vast number of individuals surrounded her.
“Who are you, and what do you want?”
Alex began to become scared. “Uhm, what? Why are you people in my dream?”
That seemed to shock the mysterious people. “What do you mean dream? You are a spy for Kasim; there is no need to try and deter us from this knowledge. You will be killed.”
“But I didn't do anything! I went to sleep and woke up here! Why won't any of you explain this to me?”
The one Alex had pinned as the leader began to advance. “Unless you can show us proof of your story, you will be eliminated. Choose your words wisely.”
Alex was beginning to talk when she felt an excruciating pain throughout her entire body. She crumpled. `Ow, ow, ow, what the crap is this? This hurts so much..' She gave up, and unknown to her, the bracelet began to glow - and she began to disappear - solidifying her story. But, the pain became too much and she blacked out -
- Only to wake up back in her room with a worried Koen leaning over her.
“Alex, are you alright? I came in to check on you, and you were tossing and turning all over the bed. And then, randomly, a cut appeared on your face!”
Alex touched her face, and again looked at her fingers. Seeing her blood, she did the only logical thing one would do in her place.
She wiped the blood off of her fingers, looked calmly at her brother and told him, “No, I am not alright.”
Then, she fainted.

 
A/N: Well, I'm done. And my friend randomly told me to write: “Praise Neji/TenTen, Naru/Hina, Sasu/Saku, Shika/Ino!” Kay, I'm done. Leave me reviews! The next chapter should be up in two weeks! Have fun waiting! XD Laters!
--Chisuto--