Fan Fiction ❯ Riding on an Angel's Wings ❯ When the Cogs of Fate Begin to Turn ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Riding on an Angel's Wings

By: Spiraling Faith

Chapter One: When the Cogs of Fate Begin to Turn

A chilling wind blew through the old, rock crafted Temple, hitting Ledge and causing her to shiver. The lime-haired, auburn-eyed woman didn't wear much to keep the tundra winds from chilling her. Sadly, her only protection from the cold winds was a Navy Blue tunic that was kept closed by a leather belt with a gold buckle. On the right side of the belt a gun holster rested, but oddly a knife was kept in it. The knife was of an odd design with a gun hilt at the base and a blade on it. The other side of the belt held another, normal dagger that was in a leather sheath. On her wrist and forearms she wore violet colored gloves that fit tightly. "How much longer' Mistress?" she asked to the female Magician, Flea, who stood next to her.

Flea was a decent looking woman, to say the least. Her pink, almost red hair was kept in a high ponytail that hung to her mid back. The magician wore a white cloak with a red stripe at the bottom. Under her cloak she wore a tight white vest, a crimson colored skirt, and brown stockings. "Not to much longer, love," Flea responded, slipping a gloved hand around Ledge's shoulders and kissing the twenty-one year old on the cheek.

Ledge really didn't know where she was, or where they were going, she just knew that she was with Flea. To her that was more then enough reason to go. The lime-green haired girl wrapped two chilled arms around Flea's slender stomach and happily accepted the magicians cloak for warmth. They walked in the dark for ten minutes or so, cuddling and kissing from time to time, when they came upon the final room. "We're here," Flea announced, gripping the girl again.

They were in a large, circular room. On the walls stood large, well crafted statues that possessed glowing spheres that gave this part of the temple a dark purple glow. In the middle of the room set a ten-foot pedestal with a set of stone stairs that led to the girls. On the pedestal stood a tall, cloaked figure. The figure turn, his cape swirling around him. "So, now it starts!" a thick, deep, male voice sounded from the darkened figure, "This is it, no turning back! Ledge! Show me the key!" he commanded, pointing to her.

Ledge cowered slightly in fear of the cloaked man, but Flea gave her an encouraging smile and a wink, and then shoved her forward towards the base of the stairs. Needless to say, the tunic-clad girl was still reluctant, but she scaled up the stairs and stood in the center of the pedestal. The man grinned maniacally at her. "Now, show me to the key of time!" he commanded again. With another nod from Flea Ledge closed her eyes and focused. Her body glowed a darker blue then her that of her tunic. A warm wind blew up from under her, lifting her into the air. She began to chant.

"Wake up sleepy head," an echoing voice interrupted her words. The voice was soft and very, very sweet sounding, like that of a young woman who is just `too cute'. Ledge lowered back to the ground, much to the disappointment of the cloaked figure. "C'mon on Ledge! Wake up!" the voice spoke more firmly this time.

"Alundra?" Ledge said sluggishly through a yawn or two. She was having the oddest dream when the young girl came along. Ledge rubbed her eyes and blinked a few times before she focused on the woman in front of her. Alundra was seventeen, and was very petite. The small girl had short, spiked brown hair and yellow, cat-like eyes. She wore a tight, purple vest with sky blue strips that ran down the shoulders to the bottom. Under the vest she wore a thin, almost transparent sweater, and a green fabric held up loose gray pants that she had tied around her waist.

Alundra gave Ledge her cutest smile, "Bout' time to go, eh?" she asked, knowing the answer. They were almost late for the Ferry to Truce. If they missed it the two would have to spend another three weeks in Medina, which is the last thing Alundra wanted. Now that she was old enough to leave, she was ready to get the hell out of there.

Ledge sat up, stretched, and then yawned. Her eyes still looked fatigued, but then again, they always did whenever she first woke. "Okay lets go," she said, grabbing a small pack from next to her. The elder girl slung her bag over a shoulder then started to march off toward the pier. "Wait a minute," she stopped, much to the dismay of her younger friend, "do your parents know you're going?"

"Ah, no" Alundra said quietly, hoping Ledge wouldn't hear her reply. She wasn't actually old enough to leave just yet. But her birthday was only two days away, and there was no point in waiting if she was just going to leave when the ferry returned. But, as things were looking, she would have to wait anyway. That is if Ledge wouldn't get a move on.

"And why not?" Ledge asked without turning to face the golden eyes young woman who stood behind her. She wasn't trying to be too strict on the girl, and probably would have tried to talk her parents into it if they did say no; she just wanted them to know so they wouldn't worry. Alundra's parents already disliked Ledge for tainting their daughters mind with stories of her travels, so if she ran off with Ledge it wouldn't get her on their friends list.

"Cuz', they would say no."

Ledge turned and smiled an odd little smile. She always smiled like this when she talked to Alundra, and never smiled like that to anyone else. This `odd little smile' really made her looks good though. It somehow made her face light up. "Of course they would. Why do you want to go anyway?" It had been bugging the young journeyer for the longest time. When she told Alundra that she was leaving the young girl cried. Then the next day when Ledge spoke with her she had decided that she wanted to go.

Alundra looked at the ground and fumbled with her words. "Well, Ledge I…." Ledge made the tomboy look her in the eyes.

"You what?"

"I..I don't know why I want to go with you! I just know that it feels right. It feels like I was destined to be with you! And I want to be there so I can protect you!" she fumbled out quickly in one breath. Tears bordered her eyes. In all truthfulness, Alundra had no clue how she could protect Ledge from anything. She was a fragile girl. If she went with Ledge, she would end up being the one who was protected, yet, she had this feeling. This overwhelming feeling, that she will be needed.

Ledge grinned, "You are going to protect me?" she asked, earning a nod from the teary eyed girl. Ledge turned, still grinning, and walked forward a bit. "Hmm," she stopped, "I need a body guard." Alundra smiled widely, and looked hopeful. "And, I know I can trust you, so I guess you get the job." As she turned another one of her odd smiles grew onto her face, "Just don't mess up."

Alundra, who had wiped her tears away, ran forward and tackled Ledge with a hug. They both fell to the ground, the older woman taking most of the fall. It was final, they were going now, and Alundra could be with Ledge, and protect her. From what she didn't not know, but she did know that she would have to protect her. "Ack, Alundra!" the elder woman exclaimed, shoving at her captor. But the girl did not care; she kept an iron grip on Ledge. Finally, after earning a few stares the two girls stood and walked to the ferry.

The ferry wasn't a large boat, but it was big enough. The trip to Truce would take about two days, and then the boat would stay there for a few days and move to another place and repeat the cycle. This meant that the girls would be spending two days on the boat with no one but each other. Ledge, who was used to being alone, didn't mind. Alundra was rather pleased though. She always liked to be around Ledge, and didn't know why. It just felt right to her.

AN:

This one is going to be fun. I cut the chapter short a little bit, but its no big deal. The next chapter should have them on the boat, at night, in their one roomed bedroom. ^.~ Naughty stuff. Just kidding, but there will be a bit of humor in there. Also, first fight scene, and the introduction of two characters. Get ready for the water element user Lara, and her younger, crazier sister Catherine.

--Spiraling Faith, 04/11/04