Fan Fiction ❯ Rising Paradise ❯ Paradise of Youth ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Eleven years had passed since the great loss of the country of Morin. Hiwara Metsuki, a young maiden in her mid-teens, found herself gazing at the vast fields of crops as she rode on the back of a hay wagon. She was riding back home late that afternoon since the market in the city wasn't improving that day. Every day it was like that, she would set off to work in the morning and spend time afterwards to do some necessary food shopping.

The often bouncing of the wagon caused her to jerk and fall back onto the hay. She sighed, pulling herself upright. How simple her life was, but she enjoyed every moment of it. She turned to the front, wondering how far was left in their trip. At the reins, Takano sat with his twelve-year-old son and ten-year-old daughter. She looked back at the trail of smoke that was left behind. She thought of her mother's condition by herself since her father was out looking for work. She clasped her hands together and silently prayed, hoping for a change in her life. Even a small one would do.

"Takano-san! Back early, ne?!" Positive shouts welcomed the group as the wagon rode into the village. Takano smiled and nodded while his children returned the shouts with their own youthful laughter and greetings. Metsuki leaned forward with her elbows on her knees, smiling at the people they passed, but no words left her mouth. She was a person of few words, growing up in a small village with not many friends. Social skills were not necessary among commoners, so why bother exhaling nonsense words.

The wagon pulled in front of a pair of wooden gates. Metsuki hopped off the vehicle with her satchel and a basket of food. She bowed to Takano, "Thank you."

The man waved her in, "We'll see you tomorrow morning, Metsuki."

"Ja ne, Tsuki-chan!" chirped the girl.


Rising Paradise

created & written by K-chan

Chapter One: Paradise of Youth


When the horses galloped off, Metsuki ran to the small wooden house that was her home. She entered the main room, where all the meals occurred and any gatherings. A table was set in the center of the room, and four benches were neatly tucked under it for more space. A warm teapot and cups in a tray decorated the center of the table top. Along the walls were shelves and cabinets. The front door as well as the window on the left wall provided ventilation to the area. A long curtain draped from the ceiling against the back wall, where a hallway was revealed. "Okaa-san." Metsuki put her belongings on the table. She stepped up to the curtain and pulled it aside.

The hallway was short. The doorway on the left was the kitchen and storage room. It was basic and primitive and looked like any other kitchen in any village. Empty pots were left on the stove. Bowls and dishes piled on the wooden counter. Dried meat and vegetables were hung on ropes by the bundles. She passed by the kitchen without another thought and headed to the first doorway on the other side. "Okaa-san?" she repeated, walking into the narrow room lit by a candle. Her eyes adjusted from the daylight of the outdoors to the dullness of the room.

Another table held its place in the room, but the top was left bare. Specks of sunlight tried to force its way through the closed window. A bed took up most of the space against the wall. The curtains of the bed were tied against posts. Metsuki stood next to the bed, looking at the fragile figure lying there. She felt her heartbeat racing. Her lips dried as she whispered, "Okaa-san." She sat at the edge of the bed. Her left hand reached up to the woman's face.

The woman squirmed beneath the thin blanket and finally rolled onto her side, facing towards Metsuki. The details of her face were barely distinguishable and blended into the darkness well. Her droopy eyes creeked opened, and her vision began to focus on the girl. "Tsuki-chan," spoke her quiet voice.
"Okaa-san, you sound better than yesterday," she sniffled. "When I didn't hear an answer, I was worried."

"I'm all right," she managed to smile. "Your father..."

Metsuki shook her head, "Father isn't home yet." She held her mother's hand, massaging it. "I'll go to the pharmacist tomorrow and get some more of your medicine. There's just enough for evening."
The woman's breathing became heavy and deep like the wind echoing in a cave. "I should end this misery..." She coughed, rushing the pain up her throat. Metsuki quickly left the room and returned with a cup of warm tea. She helped her mother sit up and assisted her with the cup.

Just in a year her mother had changed from a lively, spoken woman to a helpless, sick lady in bed. Her trembling hands sent a chilling feeling through Metsuki's own, fearing the worse consequence of her illness. The thought of such a caring mother gone was impossible to imagine. How could life go on for her and her father? It would never be the same.

The woman sipped the tea with steadiness, yearning to lie back down again. The hazy heat from the tea rose to her face, skimming the surface of the aged skin. Her hands slipped from the cup to the cozy blanket, where sleep was calling her. Metsuki helped her head onto the pillow box and ran the covers over her thin, weary body. She took the cup and left the room swiftly and silently. She couldn't bare to even see her return to her resting slumber. The very sleep that one day could take her away from this world.

Her hand brushed over her moisted eyes while taking in deep breaths. She was afraid--afraid of her mother leaving their family and afraid of how alone she would be in the other world. "Tsuki-chan?" a voice called her.

Metsuki looked up and saw a medium-height man. Leather boots laced up to his knees. He appeared to be somewhat chubby with the layer of thin, ragged clothing. His weary, long face told otherwise. His brown eyes gazed with experience and wisdom. His black, greyish hair held its place, dangling in a short queue. "Yes, otou-san?" she miffled out.

"Are you all right?" He stepped towards his daughter, slightly peering into his bedroom. Sensing serenity, he relaxed. "Mother is asleep."

"Yes, she seems a little better."

He smiled faintly, patting her back. "Some good news have arrived and awaits us in the main room."
Her eyes glimmered with hope, wondering what news her father was surprising her with. She entered the front room with her father, facing another man. She bowed, "Kanao-san."

Kanao dressed somewhat better than her father and was a taller man. Even seated, he seemed taller. A little younger and more built was in his appearance. He smiled, "Little Metsuki, you're such a beautiful, young lady."

The compliment flushed a pink tint across Metsuki's face. She hid her shyness in her calm, grateful voice, "Thank you."

Her father said, "Kanao-san bring news of an opportunity for you, Metsuki."

"For your family, Hiwara-san," he corrected and then spoke directly to Metsuki, "My sister has worked in the Hakuramo household for twenty years and will be retiring soon. There is an opening for her place, and we recommended you for the job. Your father and I have been good friends, and with the health of your mother..."

She knew where the conversation was headed to. He was right. It was an opportunity for her family. If it would improve their lives, then she would do whatever she could. Metsuki nodded, "I am so grateful to you, Kanao-san."

Kanao chuckled, "Your father had me speak to you to have it more convincing than from his own words." He stood up. "I'll see you early tomorrow then."

"Yes, thank you." Her father escorted the man out their home to the gates as the two bonded with memories of their youth. Metsuki sat down at the table, overwhelmed with emotions. She was happy yet nervous about the meeting with the Hayumas. What if she wasn't accepted? Maybe she was too common to be with such a prestigious family. She shouldn't let the thought bother her. She was capable of many abilites that her services could surely appease Lady Hayuma. Why was she even thinking about it when it was just two days away.

A day and a half to Reishoru. She's never traveled such a far distance before. And what of her family? Her home? She couldn't just abandon the place she grew up in. The only place and people she ever knew in her life. But she had a duty to her family. Her mother was very ill. Her father was getting old and his strength wasn't as it used to be. It was up to her to provide for the family. What was she to do?

She held her hands together, bowing her head downwards to the table in deep thought, knowing the already decided answer. But it pained her to leave her home and live in a strange environment, where she will be outsider to be looked upon. Her gripping hands ushered to her lips as she propped her head up, "Kami-sama, please watch over us."


Lady Shoutori swayed herself across the palace grounds beneath parasols held by attendants. She paused often to admire the scenery of the man-made structures within the palace. "A unique beauty which cannot compare to true nature."

"Your Majesty, please!" begged a pitiful voice.

The disturbance destroyed Shoutori's serene mood. Her eyes flared towards the commotion to a figure of golden garments streaking across the outer corridors. "What is the meaning of this?!" she demanded, still holding her manner of eloquence.

A male servant knelt, not sure of what to say. "I do not know, My Lady. It appears His Majesty has had a dispute with the Council again."

She hitched her gown to the side and stepped forward into the sunlight. She stopped and raised her hand to her attendants to stay behind. "It is time to have a mother and son moment." She glided across the tiled ground with dignity.


The magnificent, golden crown crashed to the marbled floor. Fine, shimmering silk hung from the ceiling. On the ivory walls, paintings of landscapes and words of poets moved like the very essence of their true form. Anger interfered with the tranquility of the vast room that could accommodate as much as thirty people. A young man stood in the center of the foyer with a strong aura of power around him. His royal garments of soaring dragons embodied an image of an independent, superior being. His dark-brown hair hung loosely around his face, dripping over his broad shoulders.

His attendents and servants all knelt on the floor, groveling with heads practically touching the clean floor. No one dared to speak a word, afraid to taste the aftermath of the man's anger. Would he even listen to words right now? Not to mention words from a mere servant.

An orchid fragrance began to overwhelm the room, entering from the red arched doorway. The smell foretold of the strong presence of an influential woman. "Lady Shoutori," they honored her as she slowly stepped into the room with escorts behind her.

The young man did not budge a bit from his post. He felt more frustrated, knowing it would eventually end with this. Having complete control, Shoutori walked to him and stood in front of him, "Sasegeru." Her presence was as strong as his, but her fragrance dominated the room, implicitly displaying her authority.

He looked at her, acknowledging her being, "Okaa-san." He turned away and sat down at the round table set off to the side. She was definitely angry if she called him by his first name. If she was in a good mood, she would kindly call him 'Saguri', a nickname his siblings found easier to say. "Am I to hear the same words from many times before?"

Without a single expression, she took the seat directly across from him. She looked over to her lady attendent, who quickly poured tea into a cup. Shoutori held out her hands and received the cup with quiet appreciation. Her lips barely touched the liquid before waving every servant out of the room. When the doors closed by the last person, she blankly stared at her son, "You are nothing in the eyes of the Council. If you wish to receive respect, you must act like an adult."

"You know very well even if I do, they still shove me aside as if I am a spectator to the affairs." He stood up and paced around the room. "Am I not emperor of Morin, or not?! How can I help my people when I am nothing but a child in their oppressive presence!"

She calmly replied, "No." He stopped pacing and stared at her with bewilderment. "You have succeeded to the throne because you are eldest son. It is only traditional views that brought you that position." She paused, adjusting her layered dress. "Have I not told you, patience is key to be victorious in their game."

"Okaa-san, I do not see as you do. Ruling a country is not a game." Exasperated, he flopped back into his seat. "Your influence in the court is great, okaa-san, why do you not speak on my behalf?"

"Who said I have not?" Her eyes pierced through him like a needle through fabric, "Why do you think your childish behaviors are continuously tolerated by the Council?" She stood up, extending her arms out to release the tension in her muscles. She strolled by him and stopped before the doors, gently saying, "I am doing my best, Saguri. Be patient." She opened the doors and left.
Saguri sighed, relieved. "No wonder. Even I feel intimidated with her around."


It was already midday since they left. Metsuki already felt the homesickness she had worried about last sleepless night. She drank her tea quietly, sitting across from Kanao and his wife beneath a canopy at their second rest stop.

She knew Kanao and his wife ever since she was little. The couple lived a happy life with no children. Whenever Kanao had to leave on business, his wife would always accompany him. It wasn't the fear of loneliness and separation, but the want of being by each other's side. She thought how much they were still in love with each other. But it wasn't a surprise to her. There were many couples in her village that have been together since childhood, like her parents.

She thought of them, wondering how they were doing now. Her father was probably mending the fish nets or fixing something in the village. She left him the rest of the money she had in her possession, promising that she'll send whatever she received home every month. Her father didn't decline in such words because he knew how stubborn she was in taking 'no' for answer with something she was determined to do. Her mother was sleeping when she left, and only a farewell kiss was given to her.

Kanao squeezed his wife's hand and got up, "I'll check on our cargo and get some supplies." He headed off to the horses and wagon.

His wife smiled at Metsuki, "This is your first time far from home, isn't it?" Metsuki nodded. "Don't worry, you will get used to it. The only thing you have to worry about are bandits and wild beasts. It can be dangerous on the roads, but stopping at these places are advisable. Metsuki felt a tingling of horror. She had heard of travelers being robbed by local bandits, but wild beasts were something else. But she knew animals only attack when provoked with danger to themselves and their youngs. Was there something more to that?

"Lately animals have been attacking travelers for no reason. It is frightening to think about it, but it usually happens in the deep forests. Who knows what lives there?!" The two ladies noticed a horse galloping towards the rest area. The man seemed to be skilled warrior with a sword carried on his back. He pulled the reins, and the horse jerked to a halt.

The owner, a short, stout, old man, of the shoppe greeted him, "Welcome, sir! Please have some tea and food while you rest here."

"Yes," the new comer replied. He dropped his satchel on the seat next to him and yawned. He wore common clothing though nothing of poor nor high status. His boots and outer garments were of superior leather. Metsuki wondered if he was a hunter. The young man appeared to be older than Metsuki by three or four years. His golden brown hair were gathered in a ponytail, and his bangs were held out of his eyes by a blue bandana. His skin was a golden tan as if he spent most of his time on the road underneath the sun.

A waiter brought a plate of dumplings to him and then poured a cup of tea. "Tired, sir? There's an inn not too far from here."He laughed, "No, no. But I do want to know where Kurosa Forest is?"
Frightened, the owner and waiter trembled. The old man asked, "Why do you ask, sir? Terrible demons lurk there. It's very dangerous." Metsuki remembered gossips about powerful demons in Kurosa Forest but more so in the books she read of ancient times.

Kanao returned to them and announced, "We should get going if we want to get to Varnasho before nightfall." The two agreed and gathered their belongings. Kanao and his wife went ahead to their transportation while Metsuki eased after them. Still walking along, she looked over her shoulders at the stranger.

"I heard Kurosa brings in lots of money," he said. "Where there's money, Iseki Koware is there."
The conversation faded away as the wagon drove off. Money was that important that a young person would put his life on the line. Metsuki would do the same, but the cause would be her family. What reason does that man have to seek out such a dangerous place? Her father had told her she would run into all types of people in her journey.

The world was a dangerous, mysterious place, filled with good and bad, and it was up to her to decide her own fate. But little did she know that this trip was the beginning of a great adventure.


Koware tied his bags on the horse's sadle and held the reins, leading the horse away from the shoppe. He climbed on and waved to the owner and the waiter. The old owner advised, "If you must go, then becareful, Iseki-san."

"I will!" He gently kicked the horse's side and galloped away, heading east to Kurosa. He could feel the excitement rushing through his body, knowing that he'll reach Kurosa in a few hours.

Four days ago, he received a letter from a girl in the town of Kurosa, beckoning him to come. Along the way, rumors reached his ears that the town had been raided by demons and soon destroyed. Different from his laid back appearance, he was fearful of the worse for them. There was no time to waste, "Let's go, Kiken!" The horse sped across the endless plains of greenery.


Two hours later, Kiken trotted up to a cluster of rundown, old buildings. Koware scanned the area of rubbles and debris, looking for any sign of people. "Then it was true." He dismounted Kiken and wandered into the vicinity of the desolate town.

It was surprisingly quiet. He had hoped there would be some survivors he could talk to. He entered a building that looked like a clothing shoppe but only ashes and dust decorated the interior. It seemed to have been in that state for about three days. He exited the place, wondering what he should do if there wasn't anyone alive. One thing did strike him, "Where were the dead bodies?" Not a single one was found nor a trace of one. Did the people evacuate before the attack? Or where they all taken away?

He examined a few more houses and came to a conclusion that it must have been a surprised attack. Most of the items, like dishes, pottery, tools and toys, were broken and scattered about the homes as if the people were in a panic raid. Throughout the area, he noticed long, continuous tracks with specks of dark spots leading out to the edge of the town towards the foreboding forest. "Kurosa Forest." He stood quietly, thinking of his next action. It would be dark in a few hours, and there was no way he was camping in an unpredictable place.

Just as Koware was about to leave, a sound of feet scuttled across the ground. He looked about and immediately caught a glimpse of a black object moving behind a house. "What the--?!" He intuitively grabbed the hilt of his sword and pulled it before him, dashing after the being. He turned the corner into a spacious alley between the houses and came face to face with a huge, black spider ten times his size. "You're probably one of many that did this, ne?"

The spider raised its front right leg into the air and smashed it downward at Koware, who leapt away. The sharp-tipped leg pierced the ground, splattering pebbles and dirt everywhere. Koware swung his sword, slicing the trapped leg near its midpoint.

The creature squealed in pain, lashing its other legs at Koware. One nailed him in the chest, crashing to the ground meters away. Breathing heavily, he checked his bleeding wound. The cut across his chest wasn't serious, but it was enough to get him angry, "Of all the creatures, it had to be one with multiple legs!" He got to his feet as the spider charged at him with a high-pitched, screeching sound. He held his place with his sword ready to fight, but a head on battle was not the way when one's opponent was bigger than one's self.

"You are really ugly," he smiled, "Must be those legs." He lunged at the giant beast as if it was the only way to kill it, sacrificing himself. Right before his suicidal demise, he ducked beneath the incisors of death. Rolling under the black beast, he gripped his sword tightly and severed the rest of its right legs. The disabled spider dropped to the ground with a thunderous roar.

Koware stood up and stared at the villainous monster. He jumped on the spider's back, holding his sword high in the air. With critical and grave determination, one stroke of the sword to its vital head ended the menacing creature's life, and it ceased struggling. Satisfied, he plopped down where he was, still on the spider's back, and rested. "Great. Who's gonna pay me for this?!"

He began thinking why would a single one appear back at the crime scene unless there were still more prey. "Must be around here then," he hopped off the dead spider and walked around. Because the creatures were spider, that was why no bodies were present. The dead people were taken back to the nest to be devoured. Therefore, the long tracks stetching towards the forest--they were dragged there.

He carefully trudged down the alley, listening to any familiar human sounds. Fortunately, a faint creak echoed from a three-story building. He slowly pushed the doors open, taking precaution of anymore spiders. "Hey, anyone in here?!" he shouted into the darkness. He stepped into the building and looked around.

Light barely seeped in since there were only five windows set on the first floor. A staircase winded along the wall, leading to the second floor. Tables and chairs were knocked over or crushed to pieces. Curtains were torn, spread on the unattractive floor. Koware proceeded farther into the domain when suddenly the floor popped up, scaring him back to the doorway with his sword ready at hand. "Nii-chan, I told you so!" screamed a girl's voice.

He realized that people were coming up from beneath the floor. He sheathed his sword back into its place and walked up to the leader, who seemed to be a ten-year-old boy. The girl and other boy must be his younger siblings. "Are you kids okay?"

The girl started crying, "The monster took my mommy!"

The older boy comforted her with a hug while looking at Koware, "Please take us away from here!" Koware looked at the trio with sympathy and nodded. Fate had played its hand, and now he was stuck with three parentless children. "Let's go." He led them out into the lonely evening of the world.


Metsuki couldn't believe it was already nightfall when they arrived in Varnasho. Even into the night, the city was well awake with people gathering in the streets. This liveliness at such an hour was new to her as she watched in amazement from her room.

The streets were lit with red and white paper laterns. People flocked around the entertainers and small stands of souvenoirs and trinkets. In the outdoor restaurants, customers dined beneath the starry sky. The delicious aroma drifted towards Metsuki, who wished to taste some new dishes.
"I wonder if Reishoru is this exciting?" She closed the windows, knowing she'll have to be ready tomorrow. They would most likely arrive in Reishoru some time in the late afternoon. Her heart fluttered at the thought of starting life in a new place. Would she make friends her age? Would she have time for herself? Would she be able to visit her home? She laid on the bed, still thinking about how life would be for her. And soon she slipped into sweet slumber.


The next morning, when it was an hour pass sunrise, a knock woke Metsuki up from her wonderful sleep. Still drowsy, she managed to pull her covers aside and sat up. She rubbed her eyes, wondering the time. When she saw the ray of light leaking through her windows, she bolted to the door and was warmly greeted by Kanao's wife. "Good morning, Kanao-san."

She smiled, "Good morning, Metsuki. You must have been up late last night, ne?"

Metsuki let her into the room. "Oh, not at all." She blushed, "I usually don't oversleep this late. I'm sorry."

"No trouble, dear. My husband is still asleep. It's not too long to Reishoru from here, so I let him sleep in." She walked over to the window and peeked outside. "I thought it would be nice for you to see the city since you haven't journeyed from home before."

The suggestion clicked in her head moments later, and she responded happily, "Thank you, Kanao-san!"
"Don't stay out too long." The woman bowed and let herself out.

Metsuki quickly washed up and dressed in her very nice clothes: a sky-blue garment over her white underclothes and blue floral printed dress over it, tied with a dark-blue sash. She drew part of her hair into two buns and the rest flowed down her back.

She opened the windows wide open to catch a glimpse of Varnasho in the daylight. And it was beautiful as the night scenery. Not many people occuppied the streets this morning. More women were out doing their daily errands. The shoppes were beginning to open. "Kanao-san picked a perfect time to wake me up." She tidied the room up and assembled her things in her satchel.

When she arrived in the lobby of the inn, the elderly owner greeted her with a pleasant smile, "Good morning! Ready to do some shopping?"

"Good morning. Yes, I was planning to do so."

"Then you won't be disappointed! Varnasho has many things to suit a lovely lady as yourself."

Metsuki bowed to the woman, "Thank you. May your day be profitable." She turned her direction towards the streets. She wasn't sure of where to start since she was unfamiliar with the city. She would just have to let her feet take her to wherever.


'Time to sit back and enjoy life' had always been Makura Hiroshi comforting words all his life. There was nothing to do, but sit against the old, beige plastered wall. His dark brown cloak hid his curious appearance, and a straw hat adorned his head, covering his grey hair. He leaned his head back, looking up into the morning sky, with his aged face in full view. The moustache and beard were completely grey, but his eyes held a sparkle of youth.

The skies were all the same to him wherever he went. For eight years, he had been wandering from place to place with no purpose nor goal. He had seen the world--from the great temples of Ohdai to the small fishing villages of Koruhin. Images of people flashed through his mind, but one question disturbed him: just where was he now? Hiroshi sat upright, noticing a young girl walking through the market.


Metsuki continued to walk from stand to stand, declining every tempting offer. She didn't have much money on her and wouldn't dare spend it on foolish things, but it was still nice admiring the items. Then a sign caught her attention. She stood in front of a table, reading the white sign with big, black characters, "Futures read accurately. If not, I will take my sign down." She knew if he took his sign down, it would be a disgrace to his occupation and mostly his name.

"That's right, Miss," nodded the old man with his white hair pulled back, stroking his beard. "If what I say is wrong, then you do not need to pay." She stared at him curiously, noticing his eyes. She didn't want to be rude, but from the looks of them, the man was blind. "Come, come, child. Do not be afraid of this blind, old man," he gestured Metsuki to the table. "I will see what the future holds for you!"

"Jii-san." Not understanding why, Metsuki obediently sat down. Why was there such a great urge in her to know of the future? Her future. Even if she was receiving a free reading, she shouldn't believe in it. It could just get her hopes up, or maybe it could prepare her for any disaster? "Jii-san, I--"

He raised his hand to her, "Quiet please." He tilt his head to the side as if he was trying to hear something. "You have a stronge aura--very strong. This shows you are a person of great power." He grabbed some items on the table: an empty turtle shell-like case and some circular, flat object resembling coins. He placed the coins into the case and began to shake it. The coins banged against each other, creating a clanking sound in Metsuki's ears. The sound echoed as she tried to understand what his words meant. She had great power? How could that be? She was just an ordinary girl from a small village.

The fortune-teller stopped the shaking and poured the coins into a small dish from the turtle case. His fingers prodded over the coins, reading the spiritual signs giving to him. "You were born under the protection of the Moon. Before your sixteenth birthday, a drastic change will occur in your life. The change will not only affect you but also thousands of people..."


Hiroshi didn't know what the old man had told the girl, but it was probably something important to get that unbelievable look on her face. The girl just took off after thanking the man. Now she was heading in his direction, so he quickly averted his eyes to the ground, pulling his hat over his forehead and hoping not to bring any attention to himself.

Metsuki walked by Hiroshi and stopped, looking at him. She wondered if he was a beggar, but he sure looked like one. She felt sorry for him, even if there wasn't any difference between them except she had a little money. She walked over to him, thinking he was asleep, so she didn't bother him. She quietly placed a silver coin next to the man and left.

He watched her leave and slowly picked up the coin. He stared at the sparkling object immensely. She had thought he was a beggar, but should he considered her kind action as an insult? From the way he was dressed, anyone could have mistakened, but someone like her was very rare in this day and age. He quickly pocketed the coin for a later use. Now he was going to get some more sleep before he decided what to do with the money he acquired.


"See ya, auntie!" Koware waved as he walked away from a small cottage set in the middle of a field of golden flowers. "Please take good care of them!"

The woman replied with a smile, "Don't worry, I'll treat them like my own. But you have to take care. You're the one I'm worried about!" The three kids he rescued from the night before ran out to bid him farewell.

The girl ran to him and cried in his arms, "Please don't leave us, onii-san!"

The older boy said, "Meiko-chan, don't cry. Onii-san will be back to get us. Right?"

Koware petted his head, "Ja, when I'm done with my job, I'll come back for the three of you."

"You promise, onii-san?!" blurted the girl.

"I promise," he smiled, standing upright. "Be good for auntie."

"We'll be waiting!" shouted the younger boy.

Koware nodded and led Kiken away by the reins, promising himself that he would return to them. He looked ahead at his unknown journey, staring at what seemed like an endless, dusty road. "Miyu-chan, I will find you."


In the royal palace of Morin, Saguri slipped his arms into a dark-red, silk robe that was lined with gold over his simple, black garments. Compared to his royal, golden gowns from before, these clothing were nothing, but the atmosphere of high class spoke loudly from them. His hair was tied back with a red ribbon, but loose strands fell over his eyes, curling around his face. He looked in the mirror and smiled, happy with how he appeared. "Do I look common or what?"

The tailor knelt on the floor, sweating heavily. "Y-yes, Your Majesty." He didn't have a choice when the young emperor requested some common clothes. If he hadn't obeyed, he would face the wrath of royalty, and if Lady Shoutori ever found out, his head would be harder to keep. Such was the life under the royal family.

Heisan had stood by Saguri as he tried his new clothing to his liking. He looked up when the young man spoke, "His Majesty is filled with heavenly greatness. Even in these common clothes, your royal presence continues radiating to all."

Saguri sighed, "Heisan, you've served me for many years now, you know I hate all that fluff. Anyway, do you know why I'm dressed like this?" Satisfied, he waved the tailor to leave, and the man did so. He shook his sleeve, letting any loose specks of threads detach themselves from the final product, and sat down at the table.

Heisan immediately poured warm tea into a cup and handed it to his master. "I do not know, Your Majesty."

He spun away in his seat and then stood up, laughing. "I want to see the world outside of this palace."

"Your Majesty!" he gasped. "You are jesting with me!" He knelt on his right knee, "Please think this over carefully."

"I have and I want you to accompany me." He faced the man, "I will not take any excuses, even if it's for my safety. No one will know if you and I don't say anything, ne?"

"If Your Majesty say so, then I shall not speak a word."

Saguri smiled, "Then let it be so."


TO BE CONTINUED... Chapter Two: Through the Eyes of Strangers