Fan Fiction ❯ Rising Paradise ❯ Meeting by Chance ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The next morning, Koware followed Hiroshi to an inn, not knowing what the old man was up to, but he was certainly eager to find out where his female friend was. "Is she here, Hiroshi?" he inquired.

"Huh?" He looked at him, "I don't know. Maybe. I was gonna ask the keeper." He stretched his arms when suddenly he stopped, feeling his back aching.

"Hiroshi? What's wrong?" Koware watched him, curiously. Never has he met an elder so strange as this one and who was willingly to help him on his search.

"Aaah, I'm okay." He mentally scolded himself for not doing his morning exercises and whined, "I'm gonna get cramps when I get old!!" He put his hands on his waist and bended back and forth with minor pains.

"Old? But aren't you..." he shook his head, not really wanting to know what he was thinking at the moment. "Anyway I've asked practically everyone in town, but they don't know anything."

"I remember seeing the girl leave from this inn here. She was with a couple too--her parents maybe."

Koware couldn't help but grabbed the man by his shirt, "IS THIS TRUE?!"

Sweating nervously, Hiroshi grinned, "We'll see." He took Koware inside and saw the woman keeper standing behind the counter. "Hello!"

She smiled, "Good morning! Will you two be staying here today?"

Koware interrupted Hiroshi, "No. Actually I'm looking for someone, and my friend said he saw her here. Do you remember a young girl with her parents staying here a few nights ago?"

"Yeah, a very pretty girl," the other man interjected. "I think they were traveling too."

"Well..." The woman tried to recall her customers from the past days, "If you're talking about the couple heading north... There was a girl with them that I remember. We exchanged a few words."

"Towards Reishoru?" the two men questioned.

"Perhaps. The lady mentioned they were heading north on business." Koware was determined to go there even if there were many possible cities they could have gone too. Reishoru was the first city to begin with. "Thank you!" He started to leave when Hiroshi called him.

"Koware, are you leaving now?"

"Yeah, I want to get there as soon as possible."

"I don't have a thing to do... Hey, do you mind if I come along?"

"Come along?" He scratched his head, "Sure, but it's not my fault when you find it dangerous or boring."

Hiroshi grinned, "No problem. 'Dangerous' and 'boring' aren't my middle names because... I don't have one!" He put his left arm on Koware's shoulder, laughing like a free spirit, and the two planned to leave Varnasho that morning.


Rising Paradise

created & written by K-chan

Chapter Three: Meeting by Chance


Metsuki dropped the pail by the well and wiped the sweat off her face with a cloth. She let out a long sigh and a smile. She was up at the moment of sunrise and went to work in the kitchen, tidying the place up as well as making breakfast. As soon as she finished her breakfast, she went to the well and drew up water to flourish Lady Hakuramo's garden with. After a moment's rest, she took the pail and went to put it away just in time to be caught by Sayoko, "Tsuki-chan!!"

"Sayoko. You're finally up?" She was somewhat surprised since the ladies in the kitchen filled her in on the gossip around the manor, and Sayoko was always on the top of the list. From what she heard, the girl was a late sleeper.

"Of course! Done with work, huh?" Sayoko grabbed Metsuki's arm, "Let's go."

"Go? Go where? I still have work to do."

"More?!" she sneered. "Tsuki-chan, you've been here almost a week. You've proved your worth already, so relax and have a little fun."

Metsuki didn't have much choice when the girl's grasp tightened and wouldn't let go for any excuse. "Just for a few minutes..." She was pulled away before her sentence was complete. The next thing she knew, they were sneaking up to some closed windows. "Sayo--" Her mouth was shushed by Sayoko's hand. She whispered, "What are we doing?"

"Hee," she smiled, "you'll see." She slowly moved her hands to the left shutter and gently pried it open, doing her best to stay quiet. Metsuki looked around, hoping not to be seen in such a ridiculous, sneaky situation. She wished Sayoko would hurry, but what was so interesting that it couldn't be done in the open. Just the secretiveness made her very curious. "Tsuki-chan!" Sayoko heaved out her name, deeply.

"Hmm?" She turned to see the window slightly open and peered over Sayoko's head and saw to her dismay Masaru bathing in a wooden tub. She practically screamed but quickly supressed her voice with both hands, turning her red face away. She couldn't believe Sayoko was that type of girl and even dragging her into it. She stood up and walked away. At a fair distance from her old spot, she said, "I'm getting back to work."

Sayoko didn't bother to look back but waved her hand in acknowlegement, not understanding how Metsuki could miss it. Just gazing at him for a brief moment took her breath away. She absentmindedly giggled a little too loud and immediately ducked down, hoping she wasn't heard. She gulped and slowly poked her head back up to get a washcloth thrown in her face.

"So it's you, Sayoko!!" shouted Masaru, pissed off as any person might be in such a situation.
Embarrassed, she lifted one end of the cloth up to see Masaru standing at the window wrapped up in a white robe. "Umm... hi, Masa-chan... how's the bath thing going for ya? Heh, heh."

He grinned slyly with his fang showing, "So you wanna see the goods, eh?" He began to untie his robe.

"AAAAAAH!!" Sayoko screamed, throwing the washcloth at him, and ran away, "I'm not like that!"

"Heh, idiot," he smirked, watching her retreat like a fool. "Do you really think I was gonna show you?" He closed the windows and returned to his bathing.


Metsuki angrily stomped into the garden patio. She was still upset but her negative feelings weren't directly towards Sayoko. Somehow she blamed herself for stupidity. She admitted she was interested at first, but after finding out it was just Masaru taking a bath, "Oh, I can't believe it! I'm such an idiot!" She pouted, sitting down at the stone table.

"An idiot, Metsuki-kun?" questioned Sunori as he walked into the scene.

"Oh, Sunori-san." She blushed.

"Just Sunori is fine." He sat down at the table, across from her. "You sounded upset. Is there anything I can do to remedy that, Metsuki-kun?"

"I'm all right. It's just... I'm still a little disturbed from Sayoko's surprise."

"Sayoko? Don't let her get to you. We're all used to her here. She's a nice girl but can really get you worked up."

"I'll try," she smiled. "Thank you."

Then they sat in silence, not knowing what else to say and could sense the other person's nervousness. Metsuki shyly looked away while Sunori periodically glanced at her, wanting to say something but not knowing how to phrase the words. He wanted to know more about her but was afraid he might get rejected from too personal questions and such. He never had such uneasiness from anyone before, not until he met her. "Umm, Sunori-san--no, I mean, Sunori," Metsuki corrected herself, "I better get back to work. Maybe we'll talk later, ne?" She stood up as well as he did in politeness.

"Yes, I wouldn't want you to get in trouble."

She bowed and left the garden. Out of his sight, she let out a sigh of relief. When she looked up, she came face to face with Masaru. "Nani?!" She couldn't take anymore surprises, even if they didn't involve Masaru.

"I should ask you that," he snorted. "You're up to something, aren't you?!"

Metsuki was appalled, "What do you mean by that?! I have nothing to hide."

He walked by her, laughing, "You quiet ones are always the cunning, devious types. I've been in the world. I know."

"You are really annoying me, Kounami Masaru," she said, irritably. "Ever since we met, you've been giving me a hard time. Why is that?" She went straight to the answer herself, "Was it because you lost to Sunori? And you blame me for that, right?!" Still with his back to her, he pouted. That was the most likely reason he could think of for his rudeness towards her. He hated losing, especially when the cause was some girl. "Well? Am I right?"

That's another reason he didn't like her: she was right. "I don't like troublesome girls," he laughed. "And brats are the worse ones." With that, he walked away.

She hated him--hated him a lot. She glared at him with all the negative emotions she could bring herself to feeling when he was around. She didn't understand how Sunori could have a best friend like him and how Sayoko could even like him--he treated her with no respect.


Lady Shoutori carried herself with the upmost grace and dignity. The train of her gown swayed after her steps like a puppy after its master. Her arms bent at the elbows, being held against her waist, with hands hidden in her sleeves. She kept her eyes on the path before her, not even turning it away for any distraction. She didn't even bother to give her full attention to the lady attendant scampering across the pavilion in her direction. She stopped and stood still, haulting the trail of her own attendants and servants down the pathway.

The woman appeared before Lady Shoutori and bowed, "Shoutori-sama, please pardon my rudeness. My mistress, Lady Momoko, wishes to know when you will arrive at the afternoon gathering."

"For a mere chit-chat, time is nothing. I arrive and depart as I please." She continued pass the woman, who was still kneeling on the pavement. "Those are my words. Report to her as you wish." She had better things to do than attend a meaningless, little party of brainless women. She pushed her thoughts about Lady Momoko aside when she had to discuss an important discovery with a special someone.

"Lady Shoutori," rang through the corridors she journeyed down, along with people paying their respects while keeping their thoughts silent. She paused and threw her hand down to her side, flapping her silky sleeves in the air. She turned down another path, leading into an open garden. At the sight of the great mother of the emperor, two guards immediately fell on their knees, greeting her presence, "Lady Shoutori." Neither stood up nor spoke until they were told to do so but glanced at one another, knowing well that the lady was going to enter the room.

She stood in front of doors, staring ahead as if she could see right through them. She rose her hand into the air towards her attendants without even eying them, "There is no need to follow me."
One of the guards said, "Shoutori-sama, Lord Murakami is still ill from two da--"

"I am well aware of that," she interrupted with fierceness in her tone. "You dare prohibit me from even visiting our country's ill general?" They knew she couldn't be stop and lowered their heads in disgrace for even thinking of stopping her. "Well?" She still didn't bother to look at them as they stood up and opened the doors wide. Before she stepped inside, she addressed her personal servant, "Saki, observe their faces carefully."

"Hai, Shoutori-sama." The door closed immediately after her, leaving the two men to worry for their lives. Their only hope after this incident would be Lord Murakami--he was the one with the specific order not to let anyone through. They even wondered who was in control: the Council, the young emperor, Lady Shoutori, or Lord Murakami.


Lady Shoutori drifted through the general's preferred dark room. She walked slowly, noting the place had not changed since the last time she came to the room. Her hand brushed the curtains aside and found her way into the bedroom area. The place was empty, but the bed was left disarrayed. On the table, a lit six-inch candle sat in its holder while two small cups were placed nearby--one empty and the other full.

She walked to the table and picked up the empty cup, examining the detailed designs of flowers painted on it. Her red lips curled into a devilish smile, and the cup returned to its original spot on the table. She quietly shuffled her feet towards the head area of the bed. Near that area of the bed was a bookshelf while at the other end was a cabinent. In each corner of the room, laterns firmly struck up from the ground.

Lady Shoutori touched the lantern at the head of the bed. Holding it tightly in her hand, she turned it clockwise for a full spin. When the lantern locked in place again, the shelf, embedded in the wall, began to give way to a secret passage. She returned to the table and picked up the red candle.
The candle aided her trek down the dark stairway. She must applauded the general for such a cold, silent personality he portrayed to people. If not so, then people would find his dark room quite suspicious. How he managed to create this passage was beyond her, but this, she didn't care about. If he quietly pursued his goal as General of Morin's Elite Military, then everything was fine with her. Cross her path, then they would face each other on the battle field of politics.

She was a few feet away when a faint glow flickered at the end of the hallway. Her pace picked up as she heard a man's voice spoke, "I was wondering how long I would be expecting you." She stepped into a room similiar to the room she came from. She held the candle in the air, walking towards the corners of the room, and lit more candles that were left alone.

The room became brighter, shining on a tall, built man sitting at the round table. His hair was long with its vibrant, golden-orange color. His hazel eyes rose up from the chess board to the slightly amused woman joining him at the table. Lady Shoutori adjusted her gown on her lap while holding a positive mood that had already occuppied the room. "Tell me, when were you informed of Saguri's disappearance?"

He continued his game of chess, not looking at her, "Four days ago."

"And so, you have been playing ill with the rest of the palace," she miffled out a laughter. "Dear Murakami, I have no care for what you are planning," her voice remained calm, "but I want my son back in the palace in one piece--not a single hair missing."

He grinned as he reached for the teapot and poured two cups of tea. He offered one to her, which she
accepted and placed on the table. He drank his and resumed his solo game, sensing the impatience in the woman across from him, but her elegant manners overshadowed her true emotions. "Of course I shall take care of this. After all, we are on the same side."

"And never forget that," she smiled, staring at him, hoping to read any agendas on his face, but his character was unpredictable. A man who held many faces. A man of the darkness. A man who laughs in the face of Death. She inwardly shivered at the thought of him, slightly regretting the contract she made.


Nishide's blonde hair blew in the wind as she stood on a small, grassy hill. Around her were mountains of trees, stretching far beyond her own eyes, but all she could sadly see were graves of the people she loved. She was standing in front of two domes--one large and the other small--where her family was buried. In front of the big dome of stone, a tombstone sat with the two names that she saw died before her eyes.

Tears rolled down her face as she dropped onto her knees, "Father. Mother. Please forgive me for not paying my respects sooner." Her hands clenched her dress tightly as the nightmare returned to her. The agony and pain etched on their faces with their mouths urging her to run. She couldn't run. She couldn't do anything, but watched them die before her eyes. The sword screamed through the air, letting the sharp blade cut through everything in its path. The blood of her parents splattered across her body and clothes, permanently staining her mind with the injustice of the world and the desire for vengeance.

Her body shivered from the same feelings she had then, buried deep within her. She bowed slowly at the tomb with her arms still trembling. Her head touched the warm earth three times, and then she dried her eyes. She stood up and moved towards the small tomb. "And thank you, oba-san. You have done much for my family. Even if you were not related to us by blood, you were always an aunt in my heart. I will never forget what you've done." She clasped her hands together and bowed once.

She turned away and began to walk towards her given assignment. With great determination, she was not going to fail. She would prove her own worth to the world. She would bring justice and honor to her family name once again. "I, Kumorigawa Nishide, swear upon my soul."


Kashi set two teacups on the table and bowed, "Ginkaji-san. Hakuramo-san. Please enjoy." He backed out towards the doorway and then turned and left the main room.

Lord Hakuramo was a tall, thin man, whose face was round and gentle. His eyes held a sparkle of kindness that people respected. His short, dark moustache roofed his upper lips. Part of his hair were pulled back into a bun, clipped with a golden ornament while the rest became a short ponytail. He wore black clothes that had the family crest of a lion on the chest. His outer garments lined with red and gold dripped down his sides and arms.

On the other hand, Ginkaji was a plump man with bushy brows. He wasn't short nor tall like Lord Hakuramo. He had a round face to match his body. He appeared to be around his early fifties with a receding hairline, practically bald. His face was clear of any facial hair as well. Lord Hakuramo spoke, "Ginkaji-san, I believe those men do deserve a fair trial."

"Of course, of course!" he quickly responded. "Even if the great Lord Hakuramo didn't say it, I would still do so. They are only human after all." He nodded, seeing that his guest understood his intentions.

Outside the room on the patio, Kashi had stood for awhile to eavesdrop. He knew it was wrong to listen in on his master's conversation, but he didn't like Ginkaji. The man seemed to be of nothing good in him. Every time he saw him, there appeared to be a false mask of flattery on his face. Even with the situation of the Seikuju Bandits, he doubted if Justice Ginkaji was going to give them a trial at all. He had heard enough and left.

"Good afternoon, Kashi-san," Metsuki greeted him.

"Aah, Metsuki. It's a good thing I ran into out here. Lady Hakuramo has requested you to pick up something for her."

"Okay. I'll do it right away."

"Good." He handed her a piece of paper. "The directions to the store are written there." Then he spoke to her in a low voice, "And don't mention this to Sayoko."

"Okay," she nodded and carefully tucked the paper into the pocket inside her dress. After she departed with Kashi, Sayoko appeared right in front of her. "Sa--" Before she could finished the name, Metsuki was immediately pulled aside behind the trees. Sayoko quieted her. "What is it now?" she whispered. "No more surprises though."

"Don't worry. You're going out, aren't you?" She pouted, "It's not fair jii-chan won't let me. He purposely gave me all this work to do!"

"He knows what's best for you."

She sighed, "Everyone is against me."

"Sayoko. No one is against you. They care for you, but you must get your act together."

She knew in her heart that Metsuki's words were right. She did behave like a brat, but all she wanted was attention. Probably after awhile, everyone just got tired with her, which made her strive for more attention. She looked at Metsuki more carefully than before and realized she should take her grandfather's advice to learn from Metsuki. She smiled, "That's what I'll do!"
Metsuki looked at her, bewildered, "Hmm?"

"Oh nothing," she giggled. "Hey, Tsuki-chan, could ja get me some stuff while you're out."
She smiled at such a quick change from Sayoko. Sayoko seemed to be a smart girl even if she was a bit mischievous. Metsuki nodded, "Sure." She felt sorry for Sayoko, but with a positive attitude like hers, it was difficult to stay angry at her for too long.


Sunori watched his friend look throught cabinets and drawers, wondering what he was looking for and why dragged him along. "Masa-chan, what EXACTLY are you searching for. Maybe I can just tell you where things are."

He sat back, staring at nothing in particular. "Just some itching powder or something that will annoy a person."

"Why didn't you say so? We have some in the medicine room." He thought about it, "I don't know why we have it, but we do."

"Good." Masaru stood up and pulled Sunori along by his queue. "While we're at it, let's get something to eat too. I'm starvin'!"


With her hair pulled back into a ponytail, Nishide walked down the avenue of markets. She wore an outfit with leaf patterns of green and blue. On her right shoulder, she carried a satchel of her belongings.

When she left the capital, she was told to go west, following the trail of a single character. She took a good look of just the market place and knew it wasn't going to be a easy task. After seeing the last trail mark that lead her to the city, she hadn't seen any other characters yet. She stopped in front of a stand selling cosmetics. Like many other stands, it was set up along the side of the street in front of buildings, such as restaurants, inns and bigger shoppes, to attract customers. This stand happened to be outside the largest inn in the city, where a person could see into the first floor of dining tables.

"I have many colors for a pretty girl like you," the woman happily adveritised. "How 'bout this one, Miss?" She held a round, purple box of blush to Nishide, who took it into her hands and looked at it.

"How much?" she asked.

"Only three silver ryo. Not much," she tried to convince her customer. Nishide pulled out a red pouch from her satchel and handed three silver coins to the satisfied woman. She noticed a girl somewhat younger than her come to the stand she was present at. There was something familiar in her eyes--the deep blue that seemed to call out to her.

Metsuki nodded at the blonde girl, who apparently was staring at her, "Konnichi wa."

"Ja," she stupidly responded. She shoved her bought item into the bag and proceeded towards the inn, wondering what the familiar feeling was. She stepped into the doorway and halted, immediately dropping what she was thinking. Her hands held the screen door for a moment when her eyes quickly turned to the spot her hand had touched. She slowly moved it aside and saw what she had been looking for. Etched in the wood was the first character in the emperor's name: 'ten', meaning 'heavens'.

She drew her hand away and stepped inside. She carefully looked around the spacious dining area, noting people in every corner. It seemed like a popular place to be. Her eyes were suddenly drawn towards two drunken men. They were in the corner, spilling wine and knocking over empty bottles. The man still drinking had a scar on the left side of his face, stretching from near his eye to his jaw bone. The other seemed to be unconscious with his head of black hair against the table.

She walked towards them and sat down at the table in between them. "You two are having a wonderful time, I see. And at your master's expense too," she said, dully.

"Whaaaaaaa..." blubbered the brunette, who slowly pulled his head up from the table. "Who-o... a-are... yo-o-ou?"

The other man stopped drinking and stared at her. He looked sober as any non-alcohol person. "Move along, little girl. We're busy."

"Heh," she smirked, flipping strands of her hair out from her face. Her green eyes surveyed the two, and she just giggled, "You two are amateurs."

The unsober man tried to stand up but his limbs weakened, settling him back into his seat. He pointed his index finger at her, "Look-ie... he-ere... girl. You... ge-et lost!

From her right sleeve, she took out a jade pendant of a dragon and laid it on the table. The exquisite object caught their attention, and they quickly apologized for their rudeness. "I don't care for you two. Just tell me what I want to know and you two can leave."

The man with the scar said, "The people you are looking for reside in this inn. We've been following them ever since they left the capital."

"When do we get the money?" the other man piped in.

She smiled and took out an apparently hefty, blue pouch and put it in the center of the table, "For your loyalty and silence."

"Don't worry." The two men got up and left. Nishide poured some wine into an empty cup and then drank it all. She didn't know how long Lord Murakami wanted her to keep tabs on the emperor, but she had a feeling it was going to be awhile. During that time, she could inquire about the girl as well.


"Nonsense, Heisan!" scolded Saguri as the two descended the stairs of the inn. He held a folding fan in his right hand as declaration of his sophistication. "I will not hear another word about heading home. I'm here to see the country and that is what I will do." Nishide looked up and smirked at seeing the spoiled brat.

"Will you at least consider the consequences, Your--I mean, young Master?" He followed closely behind the young man as they headed towards the exit, "We have been gone almost a week..." At the moment of their departure from the inn, Nishide immediately stood up and went after them. Just when she arrived at her destination, the pace of events picked up, thinking it might be dull after all.


Saguri stopped and turned to Heisan, waving the fan in his face, "Heisan, who am I?"

His eyes enlarged at such a question in public. "My master, of course." He held his head down in disgrace.

He shook his head, "You still don't understand. I am still a person, but I've never been treated like one." He turned back towards the streets and continued to walk with Heisan catching up behind him. "The Council wants to play, then let them play."

"Perhaps Lady..." Heisan carefully chose his words, "your mother should handle the situation."

"Oh I AM letting her handle it." He opened the fan and began cooling himself with it. He smiled, "Sightseeing is not the only reason I am out here."

Heisan was taken by surprise, "My master has other plans?" He watched the young man become a completely different person--a person who was capable of ruling a country. After his service with the previous emperor ended due to the tragic death, he was taken under Lady Shoutori's wing to help guide her son to the throne. He didn't like the idea of working for the woman, but he didn't have a choice. He also had a purpose to endure the woman of great authority. Then he heard his name echo in his head.

"Heisan. Heisan," Saguri called, waving his fan in the man's face, "are you still there? Did you hear what I said?"

"Sorry, Master."

"Forget it." They continued their walk through the market without knowledge that two pairs of eyes were on them. One pair was not necessarily on the young man but rather on the appearance that he had money. His hair was a mess like he had woken up, and his clothes could not even compare to most of the common townspeople. Saguri and Heisan walked by an alley where a stranger came out and immediately followed them at a safe distance. Nishide saw this and pondered on what that man was up to, concluding he must be a thief.

The thief looped in and out between people, trying to keep his eyes on the two. He nearly knocked down a girl in the process.


Metsuki glared at the man, who shoved her aside. She pulled herself together and looked at the writing on the paper. Then she saw the store she was asked to go to. She held her basket close as not to lose anything. In it were fruits of oranges and apples and three neatly-wrapped packages.
She stepped into the store with the banner that read: 'Shouji Herbal Tea'. A girl about her age stood behind the counter, writing in a booklet. She saw Metsuki and smiled, "Hello, how can I help you?" Her hair was long as Metsuki's own, but a lovely, reddish-brown color. She held them together with a pink ribbon and wore a plain dress of creamy yellow.

"I'm here to pick up Lady Hakuramo's package."

"Oh yes. We have it ready." The girl walked towards the drapery in the back and lifted it up, revealing a hallway to the back of the store. The store wasn't big nor elegant like the ones she had pass by earlier, but it made a person feel comfortable. She returned moments later with a package wrapped in yellow. "I haven't seen you before. Are you new at the Hakuramos' place?" she inquired, politely.

"Yes, I've been there for a week already."

"I see," she smiled. "My name is Miyura. You'll be seeing a lot of me. Lady Hakuramo has someone pick up her weekly package of tea."

Metsuki nodded, happily, finally meeting someone who seemed as sensible as her. "My name is Metsuki. It's a pleasure to meet you, Miyura-san."

"Don't be so formal. You look like you're fifteen, ne?" Metsuki nodded. "I'm just two years older than you, but you can call me 'Miyu-chan.' My father calls me that."

"All right, Miyu-chan," she smiled. "I better hurry back, but I'll see you later."

"Ja, come by some time, and we'll chat, Tsuki-chan." Miyura waved at Metsuki, who left into the streets. She seemed like a very nice girl. Miyura returned to her journal, staring sadly at the last words she had wrote, 'I miss him so much.'


Koware stepped into the crowd with Hiroshi right behind him, "So this is Reishoru in the afternoon. Very busy, ne?" He didn't receive a response, so he looked over his shoulder and saw the old man browsing through antiques. "Hiroshi," he called, joining him there.

"Heh heh," he chuckled, "can you believe people would pay a lot for these old things?!" He held up a bronze dragon statue. "Now this thing is 100,000 gold ryo."

He shrugged, "You wouldn't believe the danger of FINDING those things and also earning WAY less than that." He looked back into the streets, "Now where to start looking."

Hiroshi handed the dragon back to the shoppe owner and followed Koware back out to the markets. As he did so, his eyes caught a glimpse of a peculiar stranger tailing two people. He tugged on Koware's sleeve and pointed towards Saguri and Heisan. "What's the guy in the back up to?"

Koware noticed him as well, "Up to no good. Someone should teach him a lesson about thievery."

"That it's bad," Hiroshi innocently piped in. He patted his chest, "Don't worry, the great Hiroshi is here." He left Koware standing there while he quickly moved towards Saguri. Koware couldn't believe his eyes at how agile the old man was and knew he definitely wasn't an ordinary person. He really had to pry the information out of him later.


The thief decided to make his move and lunged towards Saguri, purposely bumping into him. When the two connected, his left hand silently tore through the man's layer of clothing and finally slipped the small bag of money from him. "I'm sorry, sir!" he bowed, "Very sorry!"

Saguri unknowingly waved the thief off, "Be careful next time!"

"Yes, sir. So sorry, sir!" Without delay, he turned away for his escape. Saguri brushed the mess from his clothes and straightened them out. His hands skimmed the surface of his garments, and a puzzled expression grew on his face.

"What's wrong, Master?" Heisan inquired.

He checked his inner pockets and found them empty, "My money is gone!" He looked at Heisan, who had the same thought as he did. "That man!" The two quickly chased after the thief, who not far away ended up bumping into another person. The thief pulled back without an apology and found Hiroshi's smiling face annoying and headed in different direction. When he left, thinking he safely had the money tucked deep in his clothes, Hiroshi's smile grew wider.

Hiroshi held a dark blue bag in his hand. He threw it into the air, letting the coins jingle. Saguri grabbed the bag from the air and pointed his folded fan at Hiroshi, "You thief! How dare you steal MY money!" His accusation began to draw a crowd.

Koware was far away to see what exactly went wrong. When the people accumulated around Hiroshi's area, he had a bad feeling about it. He tried to get through to the center, where Hiroshi and the young man was the main attraction. "WHAAAAAAAT?!! I just SAVED it from the idiot moments ago!!" Hiroshi shouted.

"Even so, you were planning to keep it. I could just tell from your face," Saguri smirked. "I will teach you a lesson!" He raised his right hand into the air and with great speed, brought it down towards Hiroshi but another hand reached out and blocked the strike.

"Hey, what's going on here?" Koware asked, being the one that intervened. "Hiroshi?" he addressed the old man.

"So you're with him too!" He pulled his arm back, looking around, "Where are those damn soldiers when you need them?!"

"Calm down here," Koware told Saguri. "There's no need to make this bigger than it is. This is probably just a misunderstanding."

"Misunderstanding my crown!!" he blurted out, stupidly. "I mean, no one should get away with stealing in broad daylight in this country!" He looked to the crowd, "Am I right?!" They cheered, agreeing with his words, and began to close in on Hiroshi and Koware. Before the scene was out of hand, a small group of patroling soldiers came by and demanded to know what happened. The soldiers hushed the crowd and began dispersing them.

The leader spoke to those who were left. He looked at Koware and Hiroshi and noticed that they were poorly dressed so he ignored them. He turned to Saguri, "Sir, please tell me what happened and I will do my best to help you."

Hiroshi grumbled, "Discriminating blockheads."

The leader eyed him with a disgusting look and took it as if he understood the situation on his own terms. "We will see about that." He pointed to the soldiers and then to Hiroshi and Koware, "Arrest these two for stealing!"

"Hey!" Hiroshi didn't resist while Koware was about to draw his sword out, but the former made a face at his companion. Koware nodded, understanding not to do anything stupid and cause a bigger scene. The truth would eventually come out.

"Sir, we'll lock these two up, so no one will have to experience this again," the leader said and then marched the assumed guilty ones to the local jail.


Metsuki ran to the scene, breathing heavily, but was late. She saw the soldiers escorting the warrior and the old man down the street. It was really them, but she didn't know why they would be together. During her journey to Reishoru, these were the people that she came across and had made quite an impression in her mind. When she saw people shouting and running to the area, she had to go see and came as fast as she could. Somehow she felt that the two men wouldn't do such things, so why were they taken away?

She wondered is they were going to receive a fair trial and hoped Justice Ginkaji was a man of reason. She didn't think the two men were bad people. They didn't seem to be the type. She didn't know why but she had the urge to help them in some way. Her mind was too full now, thinking of any way to help.


"They deserved it!" Saguri declared, smashing the fan into his palm. "Kami-sama is on our side," he said to Heisan as he turned in the opposite direction, running into a young girl.

The basket slipped from Metsuki's grasp, and all her items fell to the ground. "Oh I'm sorry," she bowed, "I should've watched where I was going." She hastily bent down and went after the items.
Saguri saw the person was a girl and out of chilvary, helped her along with Heisan, who was aiding his master, "It's okay. I should have paid heed to my surroundings." With the three of them chasing after the rolling fruits, they manage to get the job done quickly.

Metsuki stood up, holding the basket carefully, "Thank you." She finally noticed the young man was very attractive with his sparkling hair and his lovely, violet eyes. She blushed and looked away.
Saguri stood in his spot, gazing at the girl before his eyes, "So... beautiful..." He reached out his free hand towards her face, wanting to touch her ivory skin, but she retreated when she saw what he was about to do. He sheepishly took his hand away, "I apologize, Miss. I did not mean to offend you..."

She bowed, "It's all right. Please excuse me, but I must leave." She hurried away from them.
His eyes followed her, watching her depart from him, making his heart ache at her every footstep. His expression softened like a feather floating gently onto the surface of water, "My dark-haired beauty... Her touch of snow upon by my skin... So warm, melting the loneliness of life..." He sighed.
Heisan took a different perspective, a feeling of deja vu. There was something about the girl as if he had seen her before. Were his eyes deceiving him or could it really be true? He wasn't sure of what to think, but there was one way to find out who she really was. "Heisan!" Saguri's fan smacked against the servant's head again. "You are daydreaming too much."

"Sorry, Master." He lost his train of thought again, or his thoughts lost him.

"I want you to follow her!" He just had to find out who she was. He felt full of energy with positive emotions flowing throughout his body.

"Me?!"

"Now hurry and go! Find out her name, where she lives and whatever you can find out about her!" He urged Heisan in the direction Metsuki left, "Just anything! I'll wait for your good news." Heisan obediently followed his master's request, which he was planning to do himself. If she was the person he was thinking of, then there could still be hope for the future of Morin. He couldn't let his previous emperor and his mistress down.

Nishide leaned against the stonewall of a building, smiling at the emperor childishly falling in love. It was such a coincident that the girl happened to be the one she wanted to know about as well. Now the emperor was gathering the information for her--killing two birds with one stone.

One thing that troubled her was the look in the servant's eyes when he saw the face of the girl. Did he know the girl? The more she thought, the more she felt the servant by the emperor's side had secrets. He probably had secrets from the previous emperor as well. Somehow she will have to speak with him privately.


Her feet began to grow tired as Nishide stumbled into the inn, moments after Saguri walked up the stairs. She cursed the man for making her follow him all over the city for hours and not even buying a thing. She sat down for a bit and massaged her feet, thinking of how it would be so nice to soak them in warm water and maybe take a bath too. "That's what I need."

She stood up and walked over to the counter, where the keeper was standing behind. "I will be staying in the city for awhile, so I want your best room." Before the keeper could reply, she continued, "And one near that handsome man that just went upstairs." Her eyes stared at him with severity if he didn't comply.

"Ye-yes, Miss," his voice quivered. He flipped through his log book and nodded to her, "There is a room across from his."

She smiled, "How nice."

He called one of his employees to the counter, "Take this lady to her room."

"Ja." The waiter threw a white towel over his left shoulder and turned to Nishide, inviting her towards the stairs, "This way, Miss." Nishide followed him upstairs to the second floor. Just a few feet down the hall, they encountered Saguri and Heisan leaving again. She stopped and let the two walk by.

Saguri couldn't help but noticed the woman's gaze on him and smiled. He couldn't stop and chat even if the woman wanted to. Minutes ago, he had returned to his room and found Heisan waiting for him with good news. And now he was on his way out the door again. He continued towards the staircase with Heisan right behind him.

Her face scrunched up into a frown as her fists clenched tightly. Then she shoved her belongs into the waiter's arms. "Take this to my room," she said and immediately marched after the emperor. She turned back and warned him, "If I find anything missing, I'll break both of your arms." She stomped away again, steaming with anger. There was never a moment's rest for her. The man watched her leave, scratching his head at the bizarre woman.


Later that afternoon, Metsuki carried a bundle of chopped wood into the kitchen and placed it by the stove. She wiped her dirty hands on her apron just as Sayoko came in, stretching her arms. "Tsuki-chan, you're finally back."

"I've been back for three hours," she looked at the girl, strangely.

"Oh. Really?" She patted her tummy, "So what's there to eat?"

Metsuki sighed, knowing she spent those three hours napping again. She was about to put a small snack together when three older women flooded into the kitchen. "Sorry, girls, but we have work to do." The women lightly pushed the two girls outside, "No time to play here, we have to prepare a big dinner."

"But I'm hungry!" Sayoko whined.

The lady handed two dumplings to each of the girls, "Now go be good girls!"
"You call this food?!" she complained while Metsuki shrugged and ate hers as they exited the kitchen. She pouted and started to eat it anyway.

"Tsuki-chan," called one of the women, who stuck her head out of the window. "Could you bring out the tea to Lord Hakuramo and his guests?"

"All right." Metsuki gave her uneaten dumpling to a happy Sayoko, who seemed to have inhaled the other two into her stomach. She went into the kitchen and brought out a tray with a teapot and some floral porcelain cups. "Sayoko, I left your things in our room, so see if it's okay."

"Oh right. Almost forgot about that. Thanks!"


Metsuki held the tray carefully, wondering who the important guests were that deserved such beautiful teacups. She turned into the main garden of the estate and followed the stone path to the main gathering room. Instead of going through the front doors, she went through the back which were used by the family and servants of the household.

She stepped out from the hallway into the bright room and saw the husband and wife sitting at the front of the room. "Hakuramo-san," she bowed, holding the tray gracefully.

Lady Hakuramo smiled, "Metsuki, please treat our guests to tea."

"Yes." She obeyed and walked to the small table in between the two guests and placed the tray down. She picked up the teapot and poured the hot, steaming tea into the cups. She took the cup into her fingers and handed to the man, whose seat was the closest to the front. A person's status was determined by the seat that was closest to the host or hostess. Her hands trembled, nearly dropping the cup when she saw Saguri's pleasing face staring at hers.

Impulsively, he reached for her hands and held them as well as the cup. The touch of her soft, warm skin surged through his body like flames erupting from within him as he whispered her name, "Metsuki..." He wanted to hold them even longer, but she drew her hands back, leaving the cup with him.

"Saguri-san," Lady Hakuramo called as she waved Metsuki to her side. She smiled inwardly at what happened. The young man had taken a liking to Metsuki.

"Aah, I apologize for my behavior, Hakuramo-san." He sipped his tea and placed the cup on the table, "A very soothing taste." He didn't have a problem using his nickname since very few people knew of it.

"I am pleased you enjoyed it, and honor as well to have a member of the royal family in our home."

"As the emperor's distant cousin," Lord Hakuramo began, "we hope you have a wonderful stay in Reishoru. If there is anything you need, please ask."

Saguri's eyes couldn't stray away from Metsuki, who kept her gaze on the floor, hoping he would stop staring at her. "I thank you from my heart." He addressed the host, "I have heard your collection of ancient text are fascinating! It would be worthwhile to study them."

Lord Hakuramo chuckled, "Oh yes, but I have over two hundred books in my library. Saguri-san, it will take you months, maybe even years, to complete them."

His gaze never left Metsuki as he spoke the words, indirectly to her, "Even a lifetime is worth it. And death could not part me from what I want..." She looked up into his eyes, hearing the words echo in her head. Her mind was blank, not knowing what to think. She wasn't sure of what he wasy talking about either, but the sweetness in his voice made her heart light.

"If you insist, Saguri-san," Lady Hakuramo interrupted, "please feel free to stay in our home. Treat it like your own."

Saguri practically leapt out of his chair, "A thousand thanks, my lady!" He had hoped the offer was made to him, and now that it was, he could find time to spend with Metsuki. Heisan smiled at his master's plans. He had devised it well, which also gave him an opportunity to find out more about the girl named Metsuki. Her physical traits were exactly like someone he knew long ago, but he was still unsure if he should assume anything at the moment.


Late that evening, Masaru tiptoed in the shadows of the buildings. He ducked behind a barrel when he heard footsteps. From his squatting position, he watched Sunori and the guests walk by. "Thanks for showing us around, Sunori," Saguri said.

"You're welcome. I would gladly introduce you to my friend, but I can't seem to find him anywhere."

"It's all right. We will have other times to get acquainted." Saguri put his hands on his hips and looked around. "So the ladies' quarters are down that way, ne?" he pointed to the hallway behind him.

"That's right."

He stretched his arms and yawned, "Well I think I should retire to bed."

"Then I won't detain you any longer. Have a peaceful rest."

"To you as well," Saguri bowed and left to his room, along with Heisan.

After they left, Sunori said, "All right, Masa-chan, you can come out now."

"Dammit!" Masaru childishly came out from his hiding place, kicking the dirt at every other step. "Can't you at least let me have some fun?!"

"I am." He crossed his arms, looking at his friend sternly, "So what did you plan to do instead of going to bed?"

"Heh," he smiled. "You wanna know, then follow me." With that, he leapt into the air and landed on the roof. He glanced back down at a surprised Sunori. "Time for revenge."

"What?!" He didn't know what the red-head was up to, but he had a bad feeling. He was worried that Masaru might get himself into trouble again, "And I guess it's me to make sure he gets out of trouble." He jumped onto the roof and raced after Masaru. The two stealthy walked across the roof tiles, not disturbing a being below.

The peaceful night painted the full, white moon across the dark velvet skies. The breeze was cool, picking up slightly. In the distance, they could hear the leaves rustling against one another and the melody of the night creatures echoed through the manor.


At the inn, Nishide was lying in bed, staring at the dull ceiling. She was unfortunate to be stuck at the inn while Saguri was staying at a luxurious home. Even the girl was there. She rolled onto her side, sighing. "Little, Nishide-chan is all alone..." She couldn't help thinking of her family and her life she had before. A tear rolled down her cheek as she bit her bottom lip, suppressing the urge to explode into unnecessary emotions.


At the Hakuramo estate, Sayoko and Metsuki met at the doors to the small bath house with their clothes and washcloths in their arms. "Whew, it's been a long day!" said Sayoko. "Can't wait to get in the water and relieve all this aching." Metsuki nodded and walked in with Sayoko right behind her.

The bath house appeared small from the outside, but inside, the room seemed to stretch for miles to the other end. The pool of warm water was a little more than thirty feet long and about twelve feet deep. Around the pool about a fifteen-feet distance, floral panels stood for privacy as much as the closed windows were. Sayoko knelt at the side of the pool and soaked her hand in the water. "Perfect!" she smiled. "Oh, I can't believe I forgot it!" She left her clothes on a neaby stool and walked to the exit. "I'll be back, Tsuki-chan. Gotta show you something really neat."

Metsuki placed her clothes on a different stool and then walked to the edge of the pool. She pulled her hair into a spiraling bun, and tied it with a white ribbon as she slipped her feet out of the sandals. With her hair out of the way, she began to undo her sash to her bath robe. Her body cooled at the exposure to the air against her skin. The robe slid off her lovely figure like dewdrops on a blade of grass and fell to the floor around her bare feet.

She slowly descended into the warm water, feeling the steam floating around her body. And soon her whole body was immersed in the pool, thinking of nothing else but how good it felt. She was lost in her own world of complete serenity.


Heisan returned to his room, which was next to Saguri, but couldn't go to sleep. He had too many things floating in his mind. He paced back and forth in the room, wondering what to do. Since Saguri was asleep, he could probably talk to Metsuki in private. He left his room, and it wasn't long that he saw Sayoko walked out from her room. He poked his head through the window and found it empty. He decided to follow Sayoko, who would probably lead him to where Metsuki was.

As Heisan turned the corner, Saguri caught a glimpse of the man's back and frowned, "I thought I was doing the sneaking around here." He marched after him, planning to inquire the man to death and also wondering where Metsuki was.


Masaru finally stopped and sat back, resting on the roof. He waited for Sunori to join him there and then peered over the edge of the roof. He saw no one and looked up at the moon. There was something fascinating about it. The mysterious sphere hanging in the heavens, overlooking the world below. The more he gazed at the moon, he began to see a pair of deep, blue eyes overlap with it. He shook the imagine of his head, cursing himself for even thinking of Metsuki.

Sunori looked to the ground below and saw Sayoko enter the building. When it was clear, he leapt over to Masaru's roof. "Masa-chan, what are you doing on the bath house?"

"She went in, didn't she?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"You'll see," he smiled with mischief written all over his face.


Heisan ran to a window at the side of the building but was quickly surprised by Saguri, "Ma--" Saguri covered his mouth, hushing him. He shook his finger at him and quietly poked a hole through the paper screen window. He looked through the peep hole and nearly dropped his jaw to the ground. He drew himself away, breathing heavily as well as blushing red.

Heisan wondered what he saw and was about to see when Saguri angrily jerked him back, getting him very confused. In a low voice, Saguri scolded him, "You should've at least told me you like younger girls. But you chose the wrong girl to peek on."

"I don't understand, Master," he shook his head.

"Metsuki is bathing in there!" Heisan felt very stupid and didn't know how to explain the misunderstanding. But if she was bathing, there was a good chance that could see if she was the right person.


Masaru got on his knees and cautiously removed a roof tile from the many. He glanced at Sunori to get his reaction, which was indeed what he was expecting. "Masa-chan! I thought you didn't like Sayoko! Even so, you shouldn't be doing this!"

"Like her?!" he scoffed. "I'd be gladly to tie her up in a tree and leave her there for a week!" After he made his point, he took out a small, yellow packet from his shirt.

Sunori's eyes widened at the sight of it, "That's the itching powder, right? Masa-chan, you wouldn't?!"

"Heh, vengeance can be so sweet."

"I'm back, Tsuki-chan!" Sayoko declared, which caught the guys' attention. "This leaves a wonderful fragrance on your body!"

"Oh I see, so that was what you asked me to buy."

Sunori held Masaru's hand back, "It's Metsuki."

He jerked his hand away, "Yeah, like I'll fall for that. I won't believe it till I see it." His eyes strained to see the rest of the room but just a single tile wasn't enough. He began to remove a few more tiles while Sunori tried to convince him to stop.


Metsuki started to swim to the side of the pool to greet Sayoko but stopped after hearing a plop in the water. She looked around and then up into the ceiling. She screamed, "SOMEONE'S ON THE ROOF!!"


"WHAT?!" Her scream surprised Masaru, whose hand suddenly pressed hard against the tiles, cracking them along with the ones that were supporting the two bodies. He looked at Sunori, who gave him the 'I-told-you-so' expression, then they were sent plummeting through the roof. Lucky for them, it was a bath house, so they landed in the water, not too far off from Metsuki, who immediately pulled herself lower into the water. Sayoko stood by, not knowing what was going on, while Saguri and Heisan dashed inside. Masaru and Sunori returned to the surface to be greeted by furious and puzzled faces.

When she saw a head coming up, Metsuki impulsively whacked his head with a piece of tile from the roof. She realized she had hit Masaru's head and yelled at him, "I HATE YOU!!" She swam away from them with tears in her eyes as she saw who the other person was.

"I'm sorry, Metsuki!" Sunori tried to explained. "Masa-chan just wanted to--"

An angry Saguri flared his eyes on the wet red-head, "So you're the pervert behind this! How dare you commit such a disgusting crime!!"

Masaru climbed out of the pool, tired of hearing his noble voice, "Will ya shaddup already?!" He tried to wring out the water from his clothes while arguing with Saguri.

"Never speak to me in that tone, or you will be severely punished!"

"Oh, just you try, idiot!" he warned, preparing to fight.

"Stop it, Masa-chan!" Sunori demanded. "We've done enough already."

Sayoko covered Metsuki with a towel as she got out of the pool, "So much for a quiet bath, huh?" She helped Metsuki towards her clothes while the guys were still fighting. She noticed Heisan's eyes were on Metsuki, apparently searching for something on her body. "Pervert," she said to him and stuck out her tongue.

"Let's leave, Sayoko," Metsuki said, getting her bath robe back on her body.

"Hey!" She saw a blur of something on Metsuki's left shoulder. "Tsuki-chan, what's that on your shoulder?" She went over to the girl to get a closer look.

"What? You mean this?" She let the robe slip off her left shoulder, showing a print of a blue five-petal flower on her pale skin.

"Is that a tatoo?" she asked, admiring the simple beauty of it.

"Umm, actually I'm not sure. It's always been there since I was little."

"Really?" The girls glanced at one another, wondering why the room was so quiet now. They looked back at the guys and did a double-take after seeing their faces, except for Masaru, captivated by Metsuki's floral mark. "PERVERTS!!" Sayoko screamed, and then her hand swung through the air, connecting to each of their faces.

Saguri wasn't too delighted with the reaction from Sayoko, "Why are YOU slapping us?!!"

With her body completely concealed now, Metsuki nodded, agreeing with Saguri, "That's right. Shouldn't I be the one to do that?"

Sayoko smiled, nervously, "Heh, I guess you're right. But I just couldn't help it." She laughed when suddenly her body began to itch all over. Everyone stared at her, wondering what she was doing now. "WAAAAAAAAAH!! What's going on?!!" She hurried out of the bath house, right pass a laughing Masaru.

Every pair of eyes in the room accused Masaru of the mean trick, but the bad boy just smiled at them, "Like I said, vengeance is sweet."


TO BE CONTINUED... Chapter Four: The Treachery of Man