Fan Fiction ❯ Rising Paradise ❯ Farewell to the Old Life ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The sun was just rising over Reishoru as Saguri walked through the grand stone gates that protected the city. Beyond the city limits, he could see a small division of the Imperial Army--about two hundred or so--waiting for his arrival. From the corner of his eye, he could see Heisan beside him, trying to keep his steps behind the young emperor, but the presence of Gotou and Torasaki were nagging his mind. Their footsteps seemed to follow him very closely. He wasn't sure what it was that troubled him, whether it was them or the sound of thick boots against the rough road.

Saguri stopped and looked back at the towards his gracious host family. To formally see the emperor off, Ginkaji was with the Hakuramo household at the crack of dawn, periodically supressing his yawns. It was also an unreasonable wake-up time for Masaru as well, which caused some elbow jabs to his side from Sunori.

"I apologize for my deceitful ways," Saguri said to Lord Hakuramo, "but no alternative laid at hand if I were to keep my real identity unknown."

"It was all right, Your Highness," the lord bowed. "No harm was done, so please ease your mind from worry."

Masaru mumbled something beneath his breath in response to the 'no harm was done' part that only Sunori and Nishide caught, making the latter giggle to herself. Metsuki appeared to be in her own world, not being able to imagine Saguri as a ruler of a country--the very country she lived in.

Saguri said his last few words to the family before finally dropping his gaze on Metsuki's form. "Metsuki-kun," he said her name in a more gentle tone than before, getting her full attention. Everyone's eyes turned to the girl, making her feel VERY uncomfortable. "I would like to speak to you alone." She glanced at the Hakuramo couple who gave her approval, and then she nodded to him in response. He said to Gotou, "It will only be a moment."

He walked with Metsuki away from the crowds to a nearby grove of trees. The two were standing apart until the young emperor moved closer to her. She backed away when she noticed the others watching in the distance. Saguri gave them a disapproving glare, forcing them to look somewhere else, and then turned back to Metsuki.

Masaru looked away in disgust when he saw the faint tint of red across Metsuki's cheeks. Sunori and Nishide were watching the two intently while the blonde wondered aloud, "What could they be talking about?" Masaru's head seemed to drop lower, getting really annoyed.

Sunori nodded, curious as well. He didn't have an answer and was about to ask for Masaru's opinions when he realized the red-head was no longer by his side. He looked around and saw Masaru sitting down by some trees, resting but it seemed more like he was trying to listen in on the conversation. Sunori made sure his parents weren't watching and quietly joined his friend there with Nishide. The three sat there with their ears glued to the pair, barely making out the dialogue.


Rising Paradise

created & written by K-chan

Chapter Five: Farewell to the Old Life


"I am really happy to have met you, Metsuki-kun," he began, "But only if I was not... who I am." He looked away, dramatically, "But if I was not born of royalty, then would our encounter have occurred? In this vast world of Nagareten, we are but two small souls journeying to our destinies." He looked in her direction with a heavy sigh.

Metsuki felt a churning in her stomach at the unexpected speech and the strange look in his eyes. She never imagined meeting the emperor much less speaking to him and highly doubted such a conversation would even occur, but it was happening now. What was she supposed to do? What should she say? "But Your Majesty," she said, looking away, "there are so many things waiting for you to be done. You shouldn't bother with someone like me."

He smiled, brushing his hand through his luscious hair. "You are right," he chuckled with enlightenment. "But you are hardly that of a bother, my lady." He took her hand and lightly pecked her skin with his lips. She blushed heavily from his action and also when he continued to hold her hand. He reached inside his layers of clothing and took out a circular pendant of jade with an emblem of a dragon in its center.

He held it up to her, saying, "This--you could say is a good luck charm--has been with me since I was born, but now I give it to you." He placed it in her soft hand and cupped it with both of his own. "A small momento until we meet again. Until then, please know that you will always be in my thoughts." He brought her hand up to his lips and kissed it again.

"THAT'S IT!" Masaru shouted, coming towards them as Metsuki pulled away. "I CAN'T STAND THIS CRAP!! IT'S SO F**KIN' DISGUSTING!!" he shouted at an unfazed Saguri. "Are you a man or what?!! And why HER?!! Don't you have ANY class?!" Metsuki was burning with rage at the implied insult to her as her hands absentmindedly clutched Saguri's pendant tightly.

A sword soon shut Masaru's mouth as it floated in front of his face. Gotou was at the other end of the sword, narrowing his eyes at the disrespectful, young man, "You will NOT use such language NOR raise your voice to His Majesty." Masaru was about to respond physically, but Sunori rushed to his friend and held him back while an amused Torasaki watched in the background. Gotou put the sword away and turned to his emperor, "Your Excellency, let us depart soon if we are to reach the capital in the next day."

"Very well." He took one last look at Metsuki and then smirked at Masaru before following Gotou. Heisan helped him onto a horse and then got onto his own as Gotou ordered the army to prepare to leave. The lieutenant climbed on his own horse as well and started to lead the division from the scene. After fifty or so soldiers marched after their commander, Saguri and Heisan followed and then the rest, led by Torasaki, trailed behind.

Metsuki watched them leave and then gazed at the pendant in her hand with a slight frown. A strange feeling of worriness crept up again. It was as if her body was telling her the worst has yet to come. Her face wrinkled into annoyance when she heard Masaru speak again.

"Finally he left! I was getting tired of seeini his face 'round here," Masaru said. He had hoped Sayoko and Saguri would both leave for good, but the former would be coming back soon. He was just glad one of them wouldn't be back for quite awhile. For some reason, he was satisfied that Saguri was the one who would be staying away from Reishoru.

"You're very bold, Masa-chan, to speak to our country's ruler like that," Nishide giggled, leaning slightly against him. She looked at him slyly, "Or did you forget who you were shouting at?"

When Masaru didn't answer but just looked glum, Sunori sighed, "He did forget that SMALL detail." Metsuki stood by, shaking her head wearily.


It was almost noon--six hours since the emperor had left Reishoru. Ginkaji was now back in his office, trying to figure out what was all happening. Not only was he confused from the previous night but also of Torasaki's reappearance. Torasaki didn't seem like someone to be in the Imperial Army, but since he was in Murakami's service, it was possible. But the mysterious man was very frightening, especially when he was in his lax attitude.

Murakami and Torasaki were the least of his worries for now. Their duties laid with the emperor and the country in general. Reishoru was HIS territory, and no one will subvert his position. As he recalled the night's events, he now knew Hakuramo was going to oppose his authority in the city. When the news of the Seikuju Bandits' escape reached him, he was furious. Adding to the fire was the emperor's pardon on the incident.

He couldn't let the Hakuramos get away with it just because the emperor was behind them. They still broke the law set by the emperor and the Council, which meant they could continue rebelling against him if not Lord Murakami. They should be stopped before their plans could resume.

It was his personal reasons to completely annihilate the Hakuramos, but he reasoned it out for the good of the country. Since the emperor was on his way back to the palace, he could quickly settle his personal grudge using the law against them.


Lord Hakuramo was in his study when a servant rushed into the room in a huff. "Hakuramo-san! There are soldiers in the house! They also have the place surrounded!"

He looked puzzledly for a moment, getting up from his desk. It slowly occurred to him that Ginkaji was making his final moves against him. "Where is my wife and Sunori?"

"Lady Hakuramo is speaking with the head of the guards. The young master and the others are with her." Lord Hakuramo nodded and went with him to greet their 'guests.' It had been years since he started to keep tabs on Ginkaji's movements in the Reishoru area after knowing that he was working for Murakami. It didn't seem Murakami's intent was on overthrowing the emperor and taking the country for himself. There wasn't even proof of that, but Murakami's power was great in the court of Morin. Even half the Council had sided with him.

His pace quickened when he heard his wife's voice above her usual tone, not to mention the disbelief in it. When he arrived from the back entrance into the main room, his wife turned to him with a troubled expression. Before she could inform her husband of anything, the captain of the guards announced, "Hakuramo Soujien, you and your household have been placed under house arrest. You are not permitted to leave until Justice Ginkaji has investigate the Seikuju Bandits incident thoroughly. Any resistance will meet a serious confrontation on your part."

Masaru was about to tear the soldier apart, but Sunori held him at by, allowing his father to speak. "Very well," he said, thinking it was hopeless to fight back at the moment. "But you must allow us to have our privacies."

The soldier nodded, "It is only fair. You are still very well respected in the community." He bowed and then commanded his troopers to push outside of the manor and post themselves there.

"What is that bastard up to?!!" Masaru demanded. "Didn't Saguri say to drop this whole thing?!!"

"I'm sure with me last night," Sunori began, "he suspects we're connected to the Seikuju Bandits." After mentioning the incident, he flinched from the glare his mother was giving. When he looked shamefully at the floor, the woman turned to her husband, giving him the evil eye for involving their son in such a dangerous plan.

"Why didn't you tell of this," she demanded from her husband.

"Sunori's fine," he said. "If I wasn't sure of his capabilities, then I wouldn't have entrusted him with such a crucial mission." Any explanation right now wasn't going to appease a mother who was scared to death for the life of her only son. Lord Hakuramo changed the subject to the one at hand, "But right now, we have to do as they say. Don't draw any more suspicions to us."

Masaru was still frustrated with the whole thing since he had left his mother and home for the very same reason: being a prisoner in his own place. Sunori suggested, "C'mon, Masa-chan. Just lay low for a while until things cool down with Ginkaji. After that, we'll spar day and night if you want." The suggestion peaked an interest in his friend, and from the look in his face, he was carefully thinking it over.

Lord Hakuramo turned to Metsuki and Nishide and said, "Please inform the others of the situation and tell them to stay calm and carry on as usual." The girls nodded and left to carry out his message.


A few miles away from Reishoru, Torasaki was napping in a tree branch that had a great view opening up to the blue skies. A single straw of hay was between his teeth, moving up and down to pass the time. While the emperor on his way back to the capital with Gotou and the army, there wasn't much use for him then.

Murakami had told him to stay in Reishoru to keep an eye on Ginkaji as well as the blonde named Nishide. He was disappointed in the assignment since there wouldn't be much action if it was just spying, but the way his presence annoyed Ginkaji amused him greatly. He would have to drop in more often.

He opened his right eye at a faint sound, quickly grabbing the straw from his mouth, and threw it into the skies. A crying chirp echoed through the air before the helpless bird plummeted downwards to its death. Torasaki sat up and looked down to the ground, searching for the landing spot of the creature.

He was quite high in the tree branches, but it didn't faze him a bit as he leapt down from one branch to another until he planted his feet on the forest floor. He stepped a few feet over to the bird and picked it up, identifying it as a carrier pigeon. His straw had pierced it directly through its upper chest and protruded to the back of the neck. On its leg was a small wooden tube. He took the tube and threw the bird away without any sympathy for the helpless creature. He popped the cap off, and a piece of paper slid into his hand. A smile grew on his face as he read the note, thinking it would interest Ginkaji a lot.


Torasaki musingly watched as Ginkaji angrily ripped the message to shreds. The fire of hatred burned in the man's eyes, and it wouldn't be dying out any time soon--at least in this lifetime--but he could use this to his advantage. "A message for aide, huh?" Ginkaji seethed. He was lucky that Torasaki intercepted it when he did. "I'll have his head for this!"

"Now now, don't do anything rash," the young man scolded teasingly. He hopped down from the window sill he perched on and walked over to Ginkaji's desk. He placed his hands on the surface of the desk, leaning forward slightly with a deadly grin. "Lord Murakami has further plans with Hakuramo. He will live until his usefulness is over."

Ginkaji frowned, not liking the idea, but he really didn't have a choice in that matter. He was still in Murakami's service. He nodded in comprehesion. "But tell me," Torasaki continued, "what happened last night? Before our arrival stirred things up." He smiled, "Everyone was already disturbed, and I would like to find out why." Ginkaji had no choice but to relate the night's events in full detail to Murakami's mysterious henchman. The older man leaned back in his chair as he roughly began the evening's events.

Torasaki had moved into a corner with his side leaning casually against the wall, his back in half view of Ginkaji. He endured the whole account as well as the snide comments that only expressed his hatred towards Hakuramo, but when it was all over, the young henchman only found one thing interesting--or what he found strangely out of place. "That servant girl," he began, "describe her."

Ginkaji just looked at the back of the green-haired man oddly. There wasn't anything special about her, just an everyday servant girl, even though she was just recently employed by the Hakuramos. "Long, dark hair. Rather pale complexion," he recalled. "Why do you ask?"

He turned around to the man, smirking. "You said the arrow never struck her body." He continued, not allowing Ginkaji input a short comment, "Now that isn't something you see everyday. How do you suppose that's possible... if she was an ordinary girl?" His smile grew wider when he saw Ginkaji's bewildered face contemplating his words, but he was kind enough to answer his own questions, "A barrier spell."

"Magic then?" he asked, having little knowledge of it. Torasaki nodded. "Even if she's not ordinary, she does not appear to be a caster. I know for certain it could not be the Hakuramos nor their servants. I know them too well."

The young man laughed, finding it hard to believe after the incident with the Hakuramo son, but Ginkaji didn't find it amusing at all. "I'll leave that for you to decide," the young man smiled thoughtfully, "but there is an alternative speculation to this situation. There must be a magical seal on her body, which seems to be the most likely reason. I don't know how long the seal has been on her, but if it's been a long time, then whoever created this seal of protection is rather powerful."

"You are quite knowledgeable on the subject," Ginkaji remarked.

Smiling, Toraski just shrugged, "I get around. Anyway I'm interested in finding out who created the seal and why." His expression lost its playful aura as he looked at the man sternly as if he was silently ordering him to carry out his desires.

Ginkaji didn't like the look in his eyes because he knew what Murakami's henchman wanted, and that was for him to get the girl for him as part of the current household arrest. It would be easier than having a servant girl kidnapped for no apparent reason. "All right, I'll see what I can do," he said. He could careless about the girl and this whole 'magic' thing, but he couldn't back out of any order given from above. He was already in too deep like drifting helpless in the ocean and his only savior is a rope thrown by Murakami himself and so he latches onto that rope for his life.


A few days had passed, and restlessness stirred in the Hakuramo household, mostly in the lady herself. The orders from Ginkaji were harsher than before, forbidding a single person to leave the place unless it was for supplies. Even then, only one or two people could leave at a time, and soldiers would escort them. Much like her son's best friend, he couldn't take it anymore, being a prisoner in her own home.

She paced nervously in her husband's study while he watched her with all the calmness in the world, but his mind was twirling in frustration and confusion. Three days ago, he had sent a message to the capital to inform his allies of his current situation, and there certainly should've been a reply since yesterday. Perhaps they never received the message, or they did, but Murakami was somehow involved. Whatever happened to the message, he couldn't rely on them to help him now.

He sighed, rubbing his temples. The room was in complete silence now, causing him to look up at his wife, who was now staring at him curiously. "Dear, you WERE listening to me, were you not?" she asked as if challenging his expected answer.

"Of course," he replied with a confident tone, but he really missed all she said. From the satisfied look on her face, she was convinced of his listening skills.

"What should we do?" she inquired, hoping to get some sort of explanation from him. Her husband was a great man, but she never realized how sneaky he was, keeping all these secrets from her. What else didn't she know about? And how much had he involved their son? "You caused this mess, and now FIX it," she emphasized.

He nodded. "Call Sunori, Masaru, and Metsuki in here," he ordered. She raised an eyebrow at his strange request, knowing that wasn't the answer she wanted, but something in his set manner told her to do as he said. She personally left his study instead of asking a servant to fetch the three, and it was only a few minutes when she reappeared with her son and the other behind her.

"Close the doors, Sunori," his father commanded. Sunori obeyed while Lady Hakuramo took her place next to her husband's side. Masaru and Metsuki stood slightly to one side but kept their distance from one another. Sunori returned and stood in front of his father's desk.


Immediately after the doors to the study closed, Nishide had snuck up right outside one set of shut windows. She knelt down, eavesdropping the conversation. She heard Sunori's voice questioning, "What is it, father?"


Lord Hakuramo stood up and walked around to the front of his desk. He placed a hand on his son's shoulder, warning them that what he was about to say was to be carried out without a fuss. "I have thought about our situation thoroughly, and there is only one choice left. I want the three of you to escape."

Needless to say, the jaws of everyone else, except Lord Hakuramo's and Masaru's, in the room practically found the floor a very appealing place to be. "Now you're talkin'!" the red-head exclaimed.

Lady Hakuramo nearly bit her husband's head off at such a risky suggestion (figuratively), "Are you mad?!" her tone rose up quite high, but she quickly lowered it when she realized they could be heard by others. She was rather a quiet, patient woman, but these past few days had created another image of her that nearly caused the whole household to scurry away in fear when she appeared.

"If we leave," Sunori said, focusing the attention away from his father, "then ALL of us will leave."

"It's too risky. The few, the better," his father said, shaking his head, "But there is a more important reason I am telling you to escape. I want you to go to Runemaru."

"The capital of Midori," Masaru said quietly as if to himself. Metsuki glanced at him with questioning eyes that he didn't catch. Lord Hakuramo nodded at the correct information.

"But why?" Sunori asked. Then it quickly dawned on him that his father was expecting the neighboring kingdom to aid them against Murakami and his conspiracies.

From the look in his son's eyes, Lord Hakuramo knew that he was beginning to understand. He was fortunate to have an intelligent and talented heir if anything should happen to him and his wife. When the children would leave for their journey, anything could happen to the couple and their home--even a possible death sentence--but he didn't want to break such possibilities to them when there was a greater cause to worry about.

"You should be able to request an audience with the emperor of Morin if you speak with the head priestess of Shinseiwa Shrine," he finally revealed their purpose. He still saw the worry in Sunori's blue eyes and said soothingly, "Your mother and I and everyone will be fine here. Ginkaji will think twice before doing anything rash, considering my status around here." The young man reluctantly nodded, knowing that his father had planned this out already.

He turned to the red-head, "Masaru, you are Sunroi's best friend and a guest here, but our situation has changed drastically, and it is best that you should leave as well. But you are certainly not obligated to this crisis."

"Hey it's not a problem," Masaru said, smirking, "I live for adventure."

Sunori looked at him slyly, "You're just not ready to go home and face your mother, ne Masa-chan?" His friend just glared at him for that smart-aleck response.

"If you insist," Lord Hakuramo said, not wanting to wast time to unconvince him, "but with your help, I am sure Sunori will be all right."

Metsuki wanted to speak up about her presence here, but it was inconsiderate of a servant to do so, so she kept quiet. It didn't take long until Lord Hakuramo focused on the girl, recalling the other evening's event. Then he told her, "Metsuki, you will with them for your safety." It was as if he read her mind, "You do want to know what is happening to you." She nodded. "Then if you go to Runemaru, you will find your answers there, at Shinseiwa Shrine."

After listening to the conversation, Lady Hakuramo was slowly understanding bits of the situation and once more became the devoted woman who stood beside her husband. She placed a delicate hand on her husband's shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze. Their eyes met, and they silently exchanged smiles. "Then it is settled," she announced, but before she could continue, there was a loud crash outside the study.

Sunori quickly opened the door, hoping it wasn't a spy, but sighed with great relief that it was just Nishide. "Sunori-san," she sniffled, gathering up the broken teapot and cups onto the tray. He went to help her and brought her into the study. She explained, "I saw everyone going into the study, so I thought you might wanted some tea." When she quietly observed each person's reaction, she mentally congratulated herself for her wonderful scheme to get into their secret plan.

Lord Hakuramo looked at the blonde and frowned. Nishide was about to curse her luck, but fortunately he wasn't being suspicious when he said, "I think you should go with them, Nishide. You are quite young and should not be burden with our family problem."

"Go?" she asked innocently as if she didn't know, "Where are we going?"

"Do not worry about that," he told her, "But now a path must be drawn." He stood up and walked over to the bookshelf behind his desk. He pulled out a rather lengthy scroll and unrolled it upon his desk as the other five gathered around. "There are three ways to get to Midori," he said as he pointed to each of the respective pathways on the map of Shinrisa Continent, "Sabano Desert, Yukichou Mountains, and by sea from Konshigo."

Masaru was the first to speak up, "There's NO WAY are we goin' through the desert! I REFUSE to!"

While everyone just gave him curiously looks, Sunori knew why his friend reacted that way and added, "The desert is very dangerous with the desert bandits there, and I have to say the mountains can be easily blocked off. The sea itself is not good with the Black Dragons roaming about."

"Black Dragons?" Metsuki repeated, somewhat scared from the intimidating name.

"Don't you know anything?" Masaru snorted, folding his arms across his chest. She glared at him. "Oh right, you're just a village girl. The Black Dragons are the most dangerous and wanted pirates."

"All these pathways are treacherous," Lord Hakuramo voiced, "but the way of the sea can be easily remedied if you travel near the mainland. My second choice would have been the mountains, but soldiers can quickly assemble a blockade. The sea also has its advantages, making pursuit by waters a challenge.

"You will board a ship from Konshigo, the safest and farthest port up north, and from there, you should arrive in Sanshou a few days."

"If that's done, then we leave tomorrow mornin'?" Masaru asked.

He shook his head, "No, you leave as soon as possible."

"But should they not have supplies prepared?" his wife inquired, "Not to mention, how are they leaving the manor if we are under house arrest?"

"Supplies have been prepared a long time ago," he answered, arousing puzzled looks from everyone. He stepped over to the book shelf again, but this time, he wasn't getting anything. His aged fingers clutched a golden figurine of a deity and gave it a full turn. Everyone watched in amazement as the shelf shook and revealed a small walkway that descended deep underground. "You're leaving now," he snapped them from their amazement.

Without further questioning, Masaru was the first to descend, followed closely by Nishide and Metsuki. Sunori hesitated, standing before his parents. He couldn't find the right words to say because he didn't want to be a coward and leave his parents behind, fearing that he might not see them if he left. His mother understand his predicament and touched him gently on the shoulder. "Sunori, we will not say 'good-bye' because we know you will return, and we will be a happy family once again," she said in a strong yet tender voice.

"Of course," he smiled, placing his hand over his mother's, and gave it a short squeeze. Soon, he disappeared into the secret passageway, leaving his parents to linger in the last sight of their son and his friends. But a mother couldn't help but worry about her son's well-being.

"They'll be fine," her husband consoled her.

She abruptly turned to face him, looking very grave, "Now DEAR, tell me why and how in kami-sama is there a secret passageway in your study."

He innocently looked away, rubbing the back of his head like a nervous child. This scene remind him of the old times they shared as he chuckled, "Aha, there's a funny story to that..."


The quartet weren't sure how long they were traveling in the narrow passageway, but when they arrived to the end, it was a dead end. They had no idea where they were, but they knew the time of day because they stared above them and saw the sun shining its last moments against orange skies. It was obvious from the cramped, low place that they were in the well. There was a pail at the bottom of the empty well with a rope attached to it, and that rope was dangling from the top of the well.

Masaru immediately found its usefulness and began to climb it. At the top, he climbed out of the well to find an elderly couple emerging from their rundown home. "So this is where it ends," he said to himself.

"Sunori-san?" the man questioned, looking at him strangerly.

"Thank goodness he's not!" came Metsuki's voice as she struggled getting out, "Or else we're all in trouble!" The old couple came to her aide and helped her out while Masaru glared at the girl. Right after her was Nishide, and finally Sunori came out at the end.

"Aah, Sunori-san!" the pair exclaimed. "It's been thirteen years since we last saw you!" the woman sniffled, wiping the tears from her eyes at the emotional reunion.

The blue-haired boy was flustered, not sure of how to handle the situation with strangers. "I'm really sorry, but I don't remember..."

The man laughed, "It's okay if you don't remember. You were still young."

"Our names aren't important," the man's wife said, "Your father saved my husband's life a long time ago, and we've lived here ever since, hoping to repay his kindness. And now that you've arrived, we'll do our best to help you."

"But I still don't understand," he began as he and others began to observe their new surroundings. It was not an average worker's home, but it appeared comfortable for the couple who seemed to be true to their words with the aging home. "Where are we? Are we still in Reishoru?"

"Not anymore," the man said, "This is our home, which your father kindly gave us the money to build and maintain, about a kilometer outside the city." He gestured them to follow him while his wife disappeared into the house. He lead them to a stable at the far end of the farm yard, and when they entered, they found three healthy stallions awaiting them as if it had been their destiny to be there.

"Your father has planned this escape route for years," he continued, "We were only expecting you and your parents, but I guess things have changed, ne?" Masaru was aleady next to a chocolate-colored horse, petting it as if they had always been good friends. Metsuki made her way to the one farthest away from Masaru and stroked through his mane. The man smiled proudly, "My wife and I took great care of them! They're the toughest and fastest you'll find in Reishoru!"

His said wife reappeared with four bundles of clothing, food and money--having the fourth one made at the last minute. "I'm sure you're in a hurry, so there's no time to waste," the old man said with all seriousness again.

Sunori felt guilty for taking advantage of the couple, but they didn't seem to mind because they had hoped to do something for his family. The two just urged the youngsters on their journey, and in the next minutes, Sunori and Masaru each had a horse while Metsuki and Nishide shared one with the blonde in front. They bid a hasty farewell and trotted northward, leaving the city of Reishoru behind.


Why was this happening to her? Would her life ever return to normal again? Ever since she left her village, Metsuki never expected within two weeks of her new home would she be forced to flee for her life--as if Fate was toying with her. Then her worries turned to her parents. What if they found out what happened in Reishoru? How would they react? What would they do with Metsuki was gone?

Her arms around Nishide tightened, causing the blond to suck in air at the sudden action from her companion. "Hey Metsuki," she said, "If you hold any tighter, I'm gonna die here."

"Aah, I'm sorry," she said embarrassed, loosing her grip.

"What's wrong?"

"I... I'm just worried about my parents." There was silence between them because Nishide's thoughts were then of her own dead family while Metsuki wasn't sure if she should bring up her thoughts at all. She wanted to go see them, to make certain they were all right, and tell them not to worry about her safety. Then it hit her that their safety could be endangered as well if Ginkaji ever suspected the Hakuramo's servants.

"Sunori-san!" she called out, having a hard time dropping the formality between their statuses. He slowed down to a stop, leaving Masaru to pull the lead back, and Nishide trotted up to him.

"Is something wrong, Metsuki-kun?"

"I... I want to see my parents," she said quietly. "I won't be able to see them for a while, and just let them know I'll be okay."

Sunori understood her feelings and really wanted to comfort her, but before he could say anything, Masaru had spoken up, "Forget it! We can't waste any time! When they find out we're gone, soldiers'll be after us no time!"

The red-head did have a good point, but Metsuki chose to ignore him with the way the two seemed to be at opposite ends of each other. "Fine! I'll go by myself if I have to!" she declared, most sending her angry words at him. "I'll just meet you at Konshigo."

Sunori only knew Metsuki for over two weeks, but there was just something about her that he knew she wouldn't be convinced otherwise--somewhat like Masaru for some reason. He shrugged the thought aside, wondering how he could deal with this new situation. He couldn't let her wander off alone, so it was better off to split up from there. But who would be with her? He would've gone himself, but he would be the responsible to get them a ship to board since he was sure his best friend didn't have a level-head to have such patience if things didn't work out the first time. Of course Nishide was out of the question since she couldn't defend herself well either--much least protect another person--so that left Masaru.

"I don't want you to go alone, Metsuki-kun," he said, looking at her and then to Masaru, "so Masa-chan will go with you."

"WHAT?!" the two shouted and then exchanged a few glares.

Nishide laughed at the sight, knowing the pair wouldn't last on this trip together, but it was very entertaining. She pulled the horse over towards Masaru, so she could lean over to him, whispering seductively, "So you would rather accompany sweet, li'l me to Konshigo... We'll have a GRAND time together!"

Masaru glared at her and quickly made his decision, "Fine, but she gets her own ride." If he had to be stuck with a girl, let her be one who hated his guts and not hang all over him like some lovesick puppy.

"I'd rather hug a giant slug than ride with you!" Metsuki retorted. While the two battled it out with heated words, Sunori sighed, wondering how they were going to deal with four people splitting up evenly into two groups with only THREE horses.

So minutes later, Metsuki and Masaru were on two separate horses about to start their trip to Meburano Village while Sunori was left with Nishide on one, making the former blushing a bit. Konshigo port was farther north and would take about two or three days to get there while Meburano, lying in the west, would almost be a day. "As soon as things are settled there," Sunori told the departing pair, "join us in Konshigo within four days, at Ersodi Inn." They nodded, and the two groups were off until their day of rendezvous.


It was already nightfall when Metsuki and Masaru parted from their friends, and they had been traveling for almost three hours straight. As much as she wanted to see her parents, she was getting weary from the bumpy ride, but she kept silent, not wanting to hear another insult from her so-called protector.

Sensing that she was tired, he announced, "We'll take a break there." He gestured towards a small clearing off to the side of their track, and they headed over there with the horses. After securing the creatures, Masaru went to gather some woods while Metsuki checked their supplies and rations.

Soon a fire was started, and the two sat in silence as they dined on the dried meat. Surprisingly, he was the one to speak again, "You can rest for an hour, and then we'll be off." She just nodded, knowing that he was more experienced with this lifestyle, and made a comfortable resting place not too far from the fire. She used her satchel as a headrest and laid down, facing her back towards the fire and Masaru.

It didn't take her long to fall asleep, and Masaru could hear her soft breathing echoing in the night. He didn't think he could stand being with her this long, but they hadn't argue since they left together. He'd swore that he won't say a word unless she said something first, but it surprised him that she kept quiet too. It was better this way in silence--the trip would be much easier and faster.

The fire was dying out soon, but he added in a few more branches to keep it burning low and warm. He plopped down on the grass, putting his arms beneath his head and shut his eyes for some mental peace.


Saguri stood still as the two servants completed dressing their emperor in his bedtime clothes, consisting of a simple layer of his inner robe. They gathered up his daily wear and with bowed heads, backed out his bed chamber. He sat down at the edge of his bed, hearing the doors to his room closed, but then stood up and walked over to the window. He opened it just an inch to take a peek outside of his prison once again.

Sighing, he closed it again. His mother had ordered soldiers to be posted around his bedroom as well as the whole area. Even though she was quite calm when he returned, but he knew that behind her demure were undescribable, heightened flames of anger. No one would be able to appease her, not even her only son, and in this case he was the cause of it, so he had to let her calm down before he spoke to her again.

But ever since he returned, Heisan had been absent from his side. Saguri was beginning to worry if his mother had mistakened his departure from the palace being Heisan's idea. When he heard that his mother had requested that Heisan be in her service for a few weeks, he thought it was all right, but he didn't have much of say in it because it had already been passed.

He finally decided to get to bed, but he couldn't sleep. Too many things were going through his mind, from his leave from the palace to his last days at the Hakuramos to the final image of Metsuki. He reached into the inner pocket of his robe and pulled out a long, blue ribbon. Gazing at it lovingly, he smiled and soon fell into dream land, holding the precious item against him.


The loud cries of pain boomed through the long, winding paths of the palace dungeon, only terrifying those who were imprisoned there. The sound of whips lashing against the human flesh followed, causing more pain to the victim, and the cries began more desperate. After a while, neither cries nor whipping was heard, only a familiar, female voice, "Wake him up."

Lady Shoutori sat in a stool at one end of the cell, sipping her tea pleasantly. A soldier splashed a pail of cold water on the broken man tied to the stake. Cuts of new and old were all over his chest and arms with the recent ones bleeding and staining his flesh till a person couldn't tell what his natural skin color was.

He groggily moaned with his head hanging down. His hair was a wet mess, but another soldier grabbed a hand full of his hair and pulled it up so his face could be clearly seen by Lady Shoutori. Even though his face was dirty and torturing cuts and bruises covered it, anyone could see it was the faithful servant by the emperor's side.

"Now tell me," Lady Shoutori began, "why did the emperor leave the palace? Was it your idea?" She gave her empty teacup to Saki and stood up and walked in front of Heisan. "He stayed at the Hakuramos' place. What did he do there? Who did he see?"

Heisan was barely able to keep his eyes opened, but his loyal heart didn't allow him to say a single word. He had suffer much under Lady Shoutori's past punishments, so this one wasn't any different. When no reply came, she frowned and motioned for the punisher to continue the interrogation until she was satisfied with an answer.

And the night was filled with pain and suffering.


"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU COULDN'T FIND THEM?!!" Ginkaji demanded, wanting to strangle the truth from the soldier kneeling before him. He had sent them out to capture the girl at Torasaki's say so, but here was one his men who returned telling him that Lord Hakuramo refused the search. But in the end, they ransacked the place, but couldn't find the wanted girl nor three others that were reported to be another servant girl, the son, nor the friend.

He mentally concluded that they had escape through some secret passage within the manor, but why didn't Hakuramo and his wife leave too? He didn't know nor was willing to find the answer, but he was certain this wasn't going according to plan.

He stole a glance towards the looming darkness in the corner of the room to find it empty. Torasaki had been there minutes ago to receive what information he found on the wanted girl, but now that his assignment was a failure, he was certain the mysterious man was heading out to find his own answers. Part of him was relieved, but the other half was in fear of not knowing what Hakuramo had planned.

After dismissing the soldier, he couldn't sleep all night, fearing most of all for his life. He kept picturing his rival taking his life with a blink of an eye--not a breath of mercy--like how he himself took the lives of others. He suddenly stood up, knocking over the stool as if someone had shook him to his senses. He had to get rid of Hakuramo before the man could get to him.

He left his room hastily with only his rival's death on his mind. And that night, he was going to have it no matter what, not even Murakami himself could stand in his way when his obsession was what held his remaining sanity. He wasn't stupid nor delirious to get his regular soldiers to do the job. He--like most high officials--had connections to the gangs of the dark sides of the city.

Leaving his estate in secret, he manage to arrive at one of the headquarters, stating his identity and proof. He was lead into a small room where the apparent leader was in a meeting with a few others. The man looked up and smiled at his guest, "Aah, if it ain't da man of justice. What can a criminal like me do for ya?" The room full of hoodlums snickered at the greeting.

Ginkaji slammed down a hefty bag of money onto the table, grabbing everyone's attention, and brought them to silence. He leaned over the table towards the leader with a dangerous aura, "Kill Hakuramo. I don't care how you do it, just kill him."

"Hakuramo, huh?" he confirmed with his eager eyes on the money. "Ya know I don't go crossin' big names like dat, but... it'll cost ya." Ginkaji kept his eyes leveled on the man as he pushed the bags to him, ending their little meeting.

"Leave no witnesses. When it's complete, you will be given double this amount."


"Hey, let's go," Masaru called, leaning over Metsuki's sleeping form, and shook her. She crinkled her nose in annoyance at the disturbance and slowly opened her eyes to see Masaru moving away from her, towards the horses. She finally stood up and gather her things into her bag before joining him by the horses.

She didn't know if it was an hour or not, but she was somewhat refreshed from the nap. She climbed onto the horse, stealing a glance over at her companion, and noticed something very different about him. "Now keep up," he warned and kicked the horse's side, dashing off. The horse sped down the roadway, and Metsuki hurried to catch up to him.

Every time she caught up to his side, he seemed to rush ahead again as if avoiding her. She frowned, thinking it was probably better this way, and didn't bring it up. She knew he didn't like her, but didn't he realize that there was no way for him to avoid her on this trip? Couldn't he just accept that and move on like she did? She was kind enough to suppress her urge of snapping back at every word he said--more like ordered her to do.

She pushed his even stranger behaviors aside and thought about what to say to her parents. She just hoped they would be all right with the news and take care until she returned, even if her life could never be normal again.

Masaru noticed that Metsuki was no longer rushing up to his side anymore and cursed himself for thinking about her again. He had to admit that she wasn't like the other girls he knew. For one thing, she despised him like dirt. He smirked at that thought. She seemed like a fragile girl when they first met, but how wrong he was when her blue eyes could burn a hole right through him and her tongue could smite back every word he said instead of dreamily lingering onto them.

But here they were, the two most opposite people in the world who would rather be at each other's necks instead of chatting over tea. Yet it was strange to hear the silence that passed over them for hours as if they had quietly agreed on a truce. [K-chan: How can you 'hear the silence'??! =¬.¬=] Whatever it was, it was out of place to him, but at the same time, he was enjoying it... like how he found her sleeping face likable.

Perhaps it was a little more than likable, but she was quite a beauty. And this, Masaru would never admit aloud, not if it was worth his freedom. "What the hell?!" he muttered, mentally cursing himself for thinking that way. He was very relieved that she didn't hear him. Either that, or she didn't want to speak to a madman talking to himself.

He brushed everything about her aside, even her presence galloping behind him, and concentrated on getting through the first half of the trip. He had never been on the seas before and was really looking forward to it. Maybe he would give up his old life and run away, becoming a man of the seas instead.

The pair remained in their own thoughts throughout the night ride. Even though they both became weary as the hours passed by, they continued, knowing if they stopped for more resting time, it would throw them off schedule. Metsuki was eager to see her parents too and ignored her exhausted self, speeding towards her village like nothing else mattered in the world.


It was just his luck to run out of money, not to mention losing Koware a week ago from their break out of jail. Hiroshi sighed as he huddled himself into a tiny ball in the dark alley. He was just glad it wasn't a cold night. He tried to go sleep, but it didn't help at all when people were out in the middle of the night doing who knows what on the damn rooftops! "Rooftops?" he said to thin air.

He looked up and saw dark-clad people leaping across the building tops. "What is with this city?" he questioned, thinking it was just filled with criminals. The justice system here was pretty bad. He wouldn't be surprised if the authorities were bribed to overlook such petty matters.

Since he couldn't sleep, Hiroshi decided to follow this little group to their destination. He was shock to find them lingering in the darkness just across a large estate, whispering about something, before taking off in separate directions. Hiroshi knew they were eying the place, but with the soldiers at every corner, it would a little difficult getting inside. But these armed men were probably no mere thieves, but professional something... He dreaded in the unspeakable word because these men weren't stupid enough to risk their lives for just valuables, knowing it was well guarded. No, these mean were killers.

He shuddered at the thought, and when he recovered from the gruesome image of death, he went searching for one of the men. He kept in the shadows and stealthily made his way to the back entrance of the manor, find two knocked out soldiers back there. The back door was left opened, and he stepped inside, soon finding a trail of dead bodies. His fist clenched at the sight of innocent deaths.

He heard a sudden yelp and ran in that direction. As he came nearer, he heard fighting and found three masked men ganging up against a man who appeared to be their target. "Hey!" Hiroshi called out as if he was about to break up a kid's fight, "Three against one, this isn't a fair fight."

The fight halted a bit for them to evaluate the outsider. Thinking he was just another old man to kill, the apparent leader gave a nod to the others, and the other two charged at Hiroshi while he focused on killing Lord Hakuramo.

Being unarmed, Hiroshi easily avoided the blades, looping through the wooden poles of the veranda. He leapt onto the rail as the duo swung their swords at Hiroshi's legs, missing every time. He held onto the pole as he jumped from one side of the rail to another, toying with their minds.

The intelligent killer of the two kicked the rail Hiroshi was standing on down, causing the old man to fall onto the pavement. "Aah, smart move," he chuckled, rolling onto his side to rub his injuried bottom. He quickly rolled away as the swords struck the original spot he laid. Still on the ground, he faced them again with a sweep kick that knocked them back.

He stood up, brushing the dirt from his clothing, but his pursuers weren't down yet. This time the two had a plan, switching places after every attack. The first one thrusted his sword at his victim, but he missed and Hiroshi caught the man's forearm, giving the second man an opportunity to swing at him. What he didn't anticipate was Hiroshi using the former's sword to block out the second attack. He swiftly yanked the sword from the man's hand and used it to wound the second man.

While the injured man fled, the unarmed one was left to attempt to kill the old man. Hiroshi dodged every punch, shaking his head playfully, "Tut tut, you're just too slow. How do you expect to kill your victims at this rate?" The man finally laid a punch in, but Hiroshi was not even affected. He grabbed the man's hand and twisted his arm back in until there was a cracking sound. The man groaned in pain at his arm's awkward position.

Hiroshi threw the man back to the ground. "I've never killed anyone before, so don't make me start now," he warned coldly. The man didn't hesitate to flee.

"Soujien!" he heard a woman cried and quickly hurried back to the other killer.


Lord Hakuramo had put a good fight, but time had worn out his skills. He used his sword to keep himself propped up, but his shoulder was hurting and bleeding too much for him to fight back. "No hard feelings," the masked man said, "but you and your wife have to die." He swung his sword down at the wounded man, but all Hakuramo could do was lift the sword up in defense. The killer laughed and kicked him where it hurt the most: his right shoulder.

Hakuramo gripped his shoulder in pain as his wife rushed out to him. Before the man could strike again, a bamboo hat flew out of the blue and knocked the man away from the couple. Hiroshi jumped out and attacked the killer. "YOU?!" he growled, "You're not dead?!!"

"Do I look dead to you?" Hiroshi said, catching the sword between his index and middle fingers. He smiled, and his fingers broke the weapon in two pieces. Shocked, the killer didn't wait around to find out who the mysterious man was. Hiroshi rushed over to the couple and examined Hakuramo's injury, "He'll be okay. We just need to stop the bleeding." Putting the man's arm over his shoulder, Hiroshi helped him up to his feet while the man's wife was on his other side. "Let's get out of here," he said, and the three escaped from the scene.


Metsuki felt her heart flutter as the familiar surroundings came into the morning view, and she knew she would soon reach her village and see her parents' faces again because of their non-stop rest through the night. But how that light-hearted feeling soon sunk into dreadful one when she caught sight of smoke rising into the air. "That ain't a good sign," she heard Masaru uttered, and the two urged the horses on.

The horses slowed down and trotted through the village gates, and the pair found the villagers frantically rushing towards the eastern section of the village, where they could see a fire blazing overhead. Metsuki quickly descended and ran to one of the people carrying buckets of water, "Seshuu-san! Where's that fire coming from?!!" The man looked at her and recognized who she was with his frightened eyes, and she feared his answer.

"It'd just flared up!" he blurted, grabbing her arm with his free hand, and dragged her along. "I don't know what happened. Everyone was still asleep 'cept for me and some others gettin' ready for work. And I was to meet your father at the house, when it..." His voice had died out in her mind because when they finally reached the blazing house, she stood still, gaping at her own home consumed in the flames.

Everyone was running around with water, trying to tame the flames, but it didn't appear to die out any time soon. There only hopes were to keep the fire stationary.

Masaru ran onto the scene after securing the horses and found himself speechless at the sight. He spotted Metsuki standing next to a man and walked over to them. "My parents," he heard her whisper, "Where are my parents?" Her voice cracked because she somehow knew the answer. She hung her head low, keeping her eyes on the ground, while her hands clutched the man's sleeves. "Please... tell me they're all right... They're not in there... They're staying at a friend's house, aren't they? I can see them... I'll see them soon..."

Masaru stopped just a few feet away, staring at the mumbling girl. There was a wretching feeling in his heart at seeing her strong-will spirit--that was ready to strangle him any second--broken into painful tears.

"Tsuki-chan, you know your mother," the man began but left it at that, "I'm sorry..."

She was a child who dedicated her whole life to her parents, and now knowing that they were dead, she just couldn't believe it. She pulled back in anger, yelling, "YOU'RE LYING!! THEY'RE OKAY!!" She turned her teary eyes to the burning house. "They're in there! We just need to get them out!!" she cried, "If we just get to them, they'll be okay!! I have to save them!!" She lurched towards the fire, wanting to run in there and find them, but a strong hand grabbed her arm and held her back.

"LET GO!!" she demanded, straining to get her arm from the person's grasp. "MOTHER!! FATHER!!" her cries became desperate as she reached her other hand out towards the house. She saw nothing but the fire blaring into the sky making her life into a living hell. "I HAVE TO SAVE THEM!!" She turned her emotional face towards her holder to find Masaru staring at her with hard eyes.

"Let me go, Masaru!" she pleaded, "My parents are in there! We have to save them!" He kept a strong hold on her without uttering a word. "Why?!! Why are you letting them die?!!" she unknowingly accused, "I know you hate me, but they never did anything to you!! PLEASE!! Please save them!!!"

Having enough of her nonsense, he grabbed both of her weeping shoulders and shook her. "LISTEN to me! You know very well they're gone! Your parents are DEAD! You can't just run into that damn fire, throwing your own life away! Do you think they'd want that?!"

"I DON'T CARE!!!" she blurted back, glaring up at him through her moist eyes, "I DON'T CARE WHAT HAPPENS TO ME!!" She tried to pull away once more, but he only wrapped his arms around her struggling body. "LET ME GO!!! I DON'T CARE IF I DIE!!" she screeched, pounding her fists against his chest. "I don't care about my life," she sobbed, continuing to hit him, but his physical pain was nothing compared to hers, "I don't care... I don't... They were my life!!! They were..."

When she realized the words she had just spoken, she finally gave up and collapsed into his embrace, breaking into uncontrollable sobs against him. All Masaru could do right now was just to hold her as much as he was clueless about comforting anyone on dying. In a way, it hurted him as well, having not witness nor experience such sadness in his life. Having her against him, he could feel her pain and sorrow seeping into his heart, and in that moment, he just wished he could just take all her sufferings into him so she could be her normal self once again.


TO BE CONTINUE... Chapter Six: The Trouble with Girls

Too many lives have been taken, is it worth it anymore? If you quit now, then you will never know...

The ship is ready to sail, but not all the passengers have arrived. Time is running out, and the enemies are appearing. A showdown is inevitable, but who will win this battle?

An unforgettable departure... Forget your worries, and sail to a new tomorrow...